Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

General Car Conversation

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-23, 08:35 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 72 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by JDR76
I've owned both Acura and Lexus and in my experience, no, they are not on the same level.

I'd say the RDX is on level with the NX, and the MDX is on level with the RX/TL. I'm not quite sure there's an equivalent to the TLX, but the ES would be the closest. I'm not sure what to say about the Integra. But that's it. 4 vehicles in the Acura lineup.

So Acura has nothing to compete with:

the IS (maybe TLX?)
the LS
the UX
the LC
the LX
the RZ
the GX
the RC and especially the RC F

I actually really like Acura, but they are down to 4 models, and three out of 4 are on shared Honda platforms, no? Not sure about the TLX but I assume it's stand alone. Not a single RWD platform. Acura has had some great cars in the past, but this is not their "best of times."

A failed NSX doesn't bring them up to the same level.

Lexus has its issues, no doubt, but I think putting it on parallel with Acura is silly.

I'm with @BrettJacks in that they are somewhat of an in-betweener.
‘Why do you say it was a failure?
Old 11-30-23, 09:13 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,774 Likes on 1,981 Posts

Originally Posted by pbm317
Talk about a fumble in 2023.... can't believe they couldn't ace the small overlap.
Yeah, very surprising.

I'd say the RDX is on level with the NX, and the MDX is on level with the RX/TL. I'm not quite sure there's an equivalent to the TLX, but the ES would be the closest. I'm not sure what to say about the Integra. But that's it. 4 vehicles in the Acura lineup.

So Acura has nothing to compete with:

the IS (maybe TLX?)
the LS
the UX
the LC
the LX
the RZ
the GX
the RC and especially the RC F
They compete with what 80% of what Lexus sells. The vast majority of Lexus sales are the cars you mentioned they compete with. Of your list the LS and LC and RC are likely going to be discontinued within the next couple years, and the IS may be, it’s on its third refresh of the same body and is unlikely to have another generation.

Hopefully they turn it around with EVs…
Old 12-01-23, 01:07 AM
Motorola
Lexus Test Driver

Received 61 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by SW17LS
They compete with what 80% of what Lexus sells. The vast majority of Lexus sales are the cars you mentioned they compete with. Of your list the LS and LC and RC are likely going to be discontinued within the next couple years, and the IS may be, it’s on its third refresh of the same body and is unlikely to have another generation.
Yep. Lexus's bread and butter is the RX and NX. Acura has direct competitors to those in the form of the MDX and RDX. The TLX can be considered a competitor to the IS but the IS is essentially a ten-year-old corpse on life support at this point and an overall blip on Lexus sales (yet still manages to outsell the TLX).

Historically, it's true that Honda/Acura has never been serious about making higher-end luxury vehicles, like how they never made a full-size flagship sedan like Lexus did with the LS400 or even Infiniti with the Q45. But times have changed and now Lexus and Infinti have essentially lost all aspirations to compete against the German offerings like how they used to a decade ago.
Old 12-01-23, 06:53 AM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator
Administrator

Received 2,332 Likes on 1,419 Posts

Originally Posted by Gojirra99
Nah, I prefer the hood ornament of the Jag and the flying lady of RR over the 3-pointed star, even though I never personally owned the former two, my dad owned a Jag in my childhood, and I love that thing on the hood. As something to collect and hold in the hand to admire, the 3 pointed star is NOTHING to look at.
batman disagrees

Old 12-01-23, 07:30 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by DaveGS4
batman disagrees

Haha, thats awesome.
Old 12-01-23, 09:11 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 88 Likes on 87 Posts

Dave....although it's Batman, it also vaguely reminds me of your old Darth Vader Avitar of years ago....remember that?
Old 12-01-23, 09:31 AM
SC300Es
Pole Position

Received 64 Likes on 45 Posts

I like a lot of the current Lexus products, but they no longer have a sedan I'd want. So if I were to need to replace my GS, there wouldn't be a Lexus offering in that department that I could consider. Though to be fair, there isn't currently a BMW, Mercedes, or Audi sedan that I like right now either. I seriously don't know what I would get.
When I look at my GS AWD(2015), other than the obsolete NAV and related, there is nothing that makes me think I should replace this. It checks all the boxes for me and still looks as good as any car out there.
Old 12-01-23, 09:48 AM
SC300Es
Pole Position

I posted about this before. My mother-in-law has this 2022 Q3. It has 675 miles!!! They don’t drive much due to their health. The car is parked on a driveway off the main road so chances of it getting salt from the roads during snow storms is very low. I just can’t get over how bad these lug nuts look. I would expect this from an American manufactured car from the 80s but on an Audi?

Unfortunately they don’t believe in washing cars so I’ll probably wash it when the weather gets warmer.

I have my GS parked on the street and it sees snow and salt regularly since 2017 and nothing like this.

Old 12-01-23, 10:12 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Those lug nuts are terrible! They’re totally un coated…
Old 12-01-23, 10:32 AM
geko29
Super Moderator
Senior Moderator

Received 313 Likes on 241 Posts

I think they're supposed to have caps. Our Q7 has the same lug bolts, and has black plastic caps over them. After 6 years in the snowy Midwest never once spending a night in a garage, they have very little rust.
Old 12-01-23, 10:38 AM
SC300Es
Pole Position

You're right. I've seen the caps on other Audis. Never thought about them on this one.
I don't like this car too much either. The interior is nice but the driving is blah. Buzzy engine and all.
Old 12-01-23, 11:46 AM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Received 236 Likes on 198 Posts

That wheel is rusting and THE CAR DOESN'T HAVE A THOUSAND MILES ON IT????? Wow.
Old 12-01-23, 12:37 PM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,627 Likes on 1,038 Posts

Originally Posted by SC300Es
When I look at my GS AWD(2015), other than the obsolete NAV and related, there is nothing that makes me think I should replace this. It checks all the boxes for me and still looks as good as any car out there.
That's pretty much how I feel. I drive my GS very little, but I sure do love that car. Every time I drive it, I enjoy it more and more. If the outdated nav ever gets to me, I figure I'll just add aftermarket CarPlay.
Old 12-01-23, 01:04 PM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Received 236 Likes on 198 Posts

That's pretty much how I feel. I drive my GS very little, but I sure do love that car. Every time I drive it, I enjoy it more and more. If the outdated nav ever gets to me, I figure I'll just add aftermarket CarPlay.
I find CarPlay overrated personally.

Sure, it's neat to sync your phone and have a vivid screen.....that's all cool. I don't like how you can't look at texts when stationary.

I just say "Hey Siri" and anything you can do with CarPlay is basically at my voice command in my old *** LX. I don't get the screen, but modern directions (Google, maps, etc.) are good enough to lead me there verbally. Never use GPS anyway.
Old 12-01-23, 01:16 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

The great thing about CarPlay is its never outdated. Basically the infotainment doesn't matter because I never use it.

If I want to look at texts when stationary I just look at the phone.

Quick Reply: General Car Conversation