Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

General Car Conversation

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-23, 07:52 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,741 Likes on 1,962 Posts

Originally Posted by Stroock639
this may just be like when squidward hated krabby patties... if you can drive an S600 and still genuinely say that no part of the experience coaxed or appealed to you at any point, then this convo can officially be put to bed lol

i'm sure you once never thought the twin turbo V8 was something you "needed" either, that the LS 460 was plenty of car as it is!
Originally Posted by Stroock639
oh believe me lol i'm not saying he should get rid of his S560, but it's tough for me to accept that a car enthusiast and S-class driver could still have zero interest in a hypothetical scenario of a completely hassle free S600 where costs were no object

of course in real life i agree the S560 is about the most capable, balanced, all-round premier luxury car one can get without becoming excessive and impractical
Such a hypothetical situation doesn't exist...in a situation where the cost is the same and maintenance is never a concern of course I would take the better engine, but thats not the situation. For one, the car doesn't exist now and did not exist when I got my car...so to say I would take that is to say I would take something that doesn't exist. Secondly, even if it did exist the engine requires much more maintenance and cost and that just doesn't interest me.

I still think the engine in the LS460 was enough! My LS460L I had before this was 90% the car this is...

But no, if I was buying a new S Class today I would have zero interest in an S680 Maybach. Way too big and garish and expensive for very little benefit to me over an S580.

Originally Posted by AJT123
Just make sure it has the AMG appearance package, however.

Yes! Thats a must have.
Old 12-05-23, 07:54 AM
geko29
Super Moderator

Received 303 Likes on 233 Posts

Originally Posted by SW17LS
But no, if I was buying a new S Class today I would have zero interest in an S680 Maybach. Way too big and garish and expensive for very little benefit to me over an S580.
S580e is looking very nice:

Old 12-05-23, 08:03 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by geko29
S580e is looking very nice:
I drove the S580e, I LOVE it in EV mode...don't love it when the gas engine kicks in, the 6 feels way less refined than what I am used to. In EV mode its capable but not quick. So the question is do I want a car that I love to drive on EV mode and on a trip will be less enjoyable or do I want a car thats enjoyable all the time...which means the V8 or a full EV.

Since I have driven it though we got the Pacifica Hybrid, and I have come to really like that powertrain...I will drive the S580e again at legnth.
Old 12-05-23, 08:12 AM
Stroock639
Lexus Test Driver

Received 241 Likes on 182 Posts

Secondly, even if it did exist the engine requires much more maintenance and cost and that just doesn't interest me.
well of course... that's what turns off any reasonable person to one of these cars haha

i was simply expanding on striker's scenario which it seemed like you wanted no part of... cost no object though i kind of agree i'm still not even sure i'd want that S680 'maybach', it's not like the OG maybach 57/62 where you were genuinely getting something to behold and not just a very expensive appearance package on a highly spec'd W222
Old 12-05-23, 08:19 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

What I don't want cost being no object is an S63 or S65 or a Maybach
Old 12-05-23, 10:34 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 161 Likes on 119 Posts

I drove the S580e, I LOVE it in EV mode...don't love it when the gas engine kicks in, the 6 feels way less refined than what I am used to. In EV mode its capable but not quick. So the question is do I want a car that I love to drive on EV mode and on a trip will be less enjoyable or do I want a car thats enjoyable all the time...which means the V8 or a full EV.

Since I have driven it though we got the Pacifica Hybrid, and I have come to really like that powertrain...I will drive the S580e again at legnth.
i am very convinced that everyone who tries plugin, will move to BEV eventually, simply because they all love being in EV mode, and it is too short. Question is price and can they can charge it.

Old 12-05-23, 10:36 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by spwolf
i am very convinced that everyone who tries plugin, will move to BEV eventually, simply because they all love being in EV mode, and it is too short. Question is price and can they can charge it.
Yes, that's the REAL question.....can they charge it?

Like it or not, there are a lot of people that simply don't have quick or easy assess to BEV-chargers.
Old 12-05-23, 11:10 AM
FrankReynoldsCPA
Lexus Test Driver

Received 95 Likes on 67 Posts

Right. Many people live in apartments, and that's probably only going to grow with the rising cost of housing. I can't see apartment complex owners installing enough chargers to let every tenant charge their cars on the same day. It would be a hassle.

I don't have 220v in my garage, so I'd have to have that installed so that I don't have to trickle charge the thing. So I'm still years off from being ready for electric.

Old 12-05-23, 11:11 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,462 Likes on 1,615 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
The error to not include a twelve cylinder in their LS is looked back upon in hindsight. They should have had one. Even more sad is that Lexus will go down as a brand that never ever offered a gas V8 turbo unlike MB,Audi and BMW who were clearly class above.
sad to you... almost no one else cares.

but i do agree with you and have stated many times that lexus was NEVER on the same 'level' as mercedes, bmw, even audi.

lexus initially didn't have awd. later they didn't have turbos. they've never done an amg type offering (except 500 units of the sublime lfa, which imo, was a mistake as it didn't provide much of a halo and cost a bundle to develop, and they still had a hard time selling them!).

however i also believe lexus NEVER intended to go head to head with those brands, always seekling out something different, unique niches, and at least initially catching those other brands TOTALLY off guard and seeing (and capitalizing on) opportunities.

the ls400 totall caught everyone off guard. wasn't quite an s-class in being 'fancy' or super complex or even tank like, but it was the best car build quality EVER.

the gs400 totally caught everyone off guard with the silky v8, great looks, state of the art infotainment (bmw still had cd based nav, lol).

the sc was a unique grand coupe

the first rx created a new market for a unique luxury crossover!

the es may be fwd, but it represented unprecedented value, room, smoothness, build quality, etc. lexus knew most people aren't 'car people' but know a beautifully made comfortable car when they drive one and don't care about which wheels are driving it, how much horsepower, etc.

gx and lx leveraged prado and land cruiser revered platforms with nicer 'suits' for further unique wins.

and on and on...

that's the lexus story.

if you just add the 30A dryer outlet to your cousin's home and find a charger half way, you can just get an EV.
Old 12-05-23, 11:41 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

pay more…for less cargo capacity
Old 12-05-23, 11:50 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by spwolf
Agree

Originally Posted by BrettJacks
Right. Many people live in apartments, and that's probably only going to grow with the rising cost of housing. I can't see apartment complex owners installing enough chargers to let every tenant charge their cars on the same day. It would be a hassle.

I don't have 220v in my garage, so I'd have to have that installed so that I don't have to trickle charge the thing. So I'm still years off from being ready for electric.
Apartment/Condo complexes will add chargers when the market makes them do that. With more and more EV demand tenants and buyers/residents will demand that EV charging be available and those for profit enterprises will meet that demand.

Case in point, the chargers in the Dulles Airport garage, they are spread throughout with long cords so they can be accessed by spaces not right at the charger. This is what you will see in apartment/condo garages

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
if you just add the 30A dryer outlet to your cousin's home and find a charger half way, you can just get an EV.
He's got one!

But you get 45 miles of smooth, wonderful, and almost free EV range...life is about tradeoffs. The S580e would probably drop my annual fuel cost by $4,000 a year, and the drive in EV mode is wonderful, plus the $7,500 tax rebate.

The trunk is plenty big for me. I have a subwoofer in my car and I bet my effective cargo space is less than that.
Old 12-05-23, 11:54 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Putting 220V in your garage is no big deal.
Old 12-05-23, 12:07 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

But you get 45 miles of smooth, wonderful, and almost free EV range...life is about tradeoffs. The S580e would probably drop my annual fuel cost by $4,000 a year, and the drive in EV mode is wonderful, plus the $7,500 tax rebate.

The trunk is plenty big for me. I have a subwoofer in my car and I bet my effective cargo space is less than that.
so the Mercedes you have with its V-8 is not smooth or wonderful?

I do agree about the trade-offs. But I don’t consider this situation worth it

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 12-05-23 at 12:12 PM.
Old 12-05-23, 12:11 PM
link13
Lead Lap

Received 46 Likes on 40 Posts

New apartment complexes and new construction in CA are required to have EV charging stations. Will it be enough? Maybe not. Cities in CA are arbitrarily classifying older buildings as new construction based on investment in capital improvements. It’s not great.
Old 12-05-23, 12:20 PM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Received 219 Likes on 184 Posts

That can’t be serious. My LS430 has a 20 cubic foot trunk…

It’s a second and a half and some change slower 0-60 but I really don’t need it to be any faster than it is. It’s enough.

Not comparing the two just saying, Steve said his 460 engine was enough. I would agree with that as well as with my 430.

Quick Reply: General Car Conversation