Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

General Car Conversation

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-23, 02:21 PM
TangoRed
Lead Lap

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Stroock639
oh it's absolutely terrible to drive (the original model up until 2018 at least) and is actually somewhat cramped inside

the steering is very heavy while at the same time being vague and uncommunicative, and the ride is definitely that of an old german army truck... also doug really isn't exaggerating when he points out how the completely vertical windows make dangerous reflections! either way when i see one being driven quickly on the highway i now think damn that takes ***** lol

but... with that V8 and side pipes it sounds like you're ripping a hole in the fabric of spacetime and after watching whistlindiesel put his through an unbelievable torture test i have a newfound respect for just how durable and well built those things really are underneath

and from a money standpoint they hold value almost like a 4Runner lol... a G55 would be my pick since i'm all about supercharged M113 life haha
I had a previous generation G63 and the current generation is a different animal. No more solid front axle and recirculating ball steering changed things dramatically. The current gen is also wider, all of which allowed Benz to tune the suspension in such a way that gave major drivability benefits. It no longer feels like its about to tip when you take a corner at moderate speed and the steering isn't ridiculously slow.

Originally Posted by jrmckinley
So when you have a preorder deposit on something like that, once it gets delivered are you buying it at MSRP? When I was at the Land Rover dealership over the weekend discussing the crazy lead time on some Range Rover models, the sales guy said a lot of people who do 3 year leases will actually go ahead and put an order in for their NEXT Rover on the day they drive off in the current one. He said it was the only way for clients to buy at MSRP and avoid a dealer markup and there is a 2+ year wait on certain configurations.
Not necessarily. I don't lease AMGs because the lease deals are purposefully terrible, but I (and my family) buy regularly from the same dealer so we're able to purchase at low/no markup. I'm going to pay a $15k markup on my next one though - would've been higher had I not bought a SL recently. We have the same setup for my husband's Range Rover...and the dealer keeps backing up the delivery date. We will probably put in an order for the electric one before that even gets delivered.
Old 12-07-23, 04:06 PM
Stroock639
Lexus Test Driver

Received 241 Likes on 182 Posts

Originally Posted by TangoRed
I had a previous generation G63 and the current generation is a different animal. No more solid front axle and recirculating ball steering changed things dramatically. The current gen is also wider, all of which allowed Benz to tune the suspension in such a way that gave major drivability benefits. It no longer feels like its about to tip when you take a corner at moderate speed and the steering isn't ridiculously slow.
i've only driven a G55 and G550 of the W463 gen so i can't compare with the current gen... is my first hand description of the old model at least an accurate one lol
Old 12-07-23, 04:07 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,741 Likes on 1,962 Posts

was it one of those crazy 4×4² models?

It was something along those lines
Old 12-07-23, 04:27 PM
TangoRed
Lead Lap

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

i've only driven a G55 and G550 of the W463 gen so i can't compare with the current gen... is my first hand description of the old model at least an accurate one lol
Oh you were right on the money for the old one. You were polite and left out the hard to close doors, weak window regulators, inability to ignore crosswinds, and absurdly wide turning radius. The last-gen had tons of character but was an unquestionably compromised vehicle by the end of its model run. I really should've bought an LR4 instead of the first G63 I had.

With the prices of the current G-wagen, you really have to be very committed to buying one for it to make sense. The Lexus GX550 and Land Rover Discovery are great choices if you're after a luxury vehicle with a box shape.
Old 12-07-23, 05:03 PM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

Received 1,226 Likes on 911 Posts

I love the slam style doors on the G class! So juxtaposed with self closing doors it's endlessly amusing....

Heres that tire my wife blew the other day, so odd and disappointing it died with low miles like this.

Odd failure
Old 12-08-23, 08:42 AM
Stroock639
Lexus Test Driver

Received 241 Likes on 182 Posts

Originally Posted by TangoRed
Oh you were right on the money for the old one. You were polite and left out the hard to close doors, weak window regulators, inability to ignore crosswinds, and absurdly wide turning radius. The last-gen had tons of character but was an unquestionably compromised vehicle by the end of its model run. I really should've bought an LR4 instead of the first G63 I had.

With the prices of the current G-wagen, you really have to be very committed to buying one for it to make sense. The Lexus GX550 and Land Rover Discovery are great choices if you're after a luxury vehicle with a box shape.
i love basically everything about those doors, and doors are something i don't typically think of as making a point to say i like (unless it's the band lol)

the little pop they make when opened, the clunk when they close without sounding like anything actually sealed up lol, and the big mechanism sound of the locks themselves... it's all very distinctive and very unique to DAS GELÄNDEWAGEN and for that i appreciate it
Old 12-08-23, 12:31 PM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Received 219 Likes on 184 Posts

Yes, the doors are great on a G.
Old 12-08-23, 12:43 PM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

So turns out there IS a nice perk to buying tires at Costco, they pro-rate tires even if you blow them up from a sidewall failure due to something on the road lol! Ended up only having to pay $140 for a new tire and $400 for a new rim so that's always nice, I had no idea that existed but I when I tried to buy a new single tire they asked me what happened and explained that I did in fact have a warranty of sorts.
Old 12-08-23, 01:51 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Striker223
So turns out there IS a nice perk to buying tires at Costco, they pro-rate tires even if you blow them up from a sidewall failure due to something on the road lol! Ended up only having to pay $140 for a new tire and $400 for a new rim so that's always nice, I had no idea that existed but I when I tried to buy a new single tire they asked me what happened and explained that I did in fact have a warranty of sorts.
Same is true at TireRack. They actually offer a complete tire replacement.
Old 12-08-23, 02:07 PM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by SW17LS
Same is true at TireRack. They actually offer a complete tire replacement.
I honestly never really looked into it, I just bought tires from them and assumed I only received whatever it is that the maker of the tire provides if any. Thanks for letting me know about the tire rack one since I have 16 tires from them! That's very reassuring actually

I'm not really used to having warranties that are worth more than the paper they are on outside of the shooting world lol!

EDIT: Damn, looks like Tirerack is a full on two years direct replacement! That's amazing!

Last edited by Striker223; 12-08-23 at 02:11 PM.
Old 12-08-23, 02:19 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Yep, full 2 years direct replacement!
Old 12-08-23, 05:57 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by AJT123
It’s a pretty hue though I wouldn’t choose this color. But it is a sleeper for sure.
what colour is this?
Old 12-08-23, 08:23 PM
patgilm
Lead Lap

Received 294 Likes on 210 Posts

Originally Posted by Striker223
I honestly never really looked into it, I just bought tires from them and assumed I only received whatever it is that the maker of the tire provides if any. Thanks for letting me know about the tire rack one since I have 16 tires from them! That's very reassuring actually

I'm not really used to having warranties that are worth more than the paper they are on outside of the shooting world lol!

EDIT: Damn, looks like Tirerack is a full on two years direct replacement! That's amazing!
I have had several tires replaced under warranty with Tirerack due to them being irreplaceable due to a blowout, sidewall puncture or a tire with too many patches and they have always come through very quickly and easily. Just buy the replacement tire, take pictures of the old tire upload them and a check comes in a week. Very easy.
Old 12-09-23, 07:16 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

Saw this On Facebook today. Lexus going back to marketing their reliability.

Old 12-09-23, 07:24 AM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

I mean that's all they have left to offer so what else would they do?

Quick Reply: General Car Conversation