Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

General Car Conversation

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-23, 02:15 PM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Received 219 Likes on 184 Posts

Originally Posted by Stroock639
well this is probably just a result of us naturally preferring our respective benz eras lol... again you'll probably disagree but i think the first gen CLK is clearly a more retro product from a different time period, whereas the 2nd gen i think still looks modern today, and probably still will in another 10 years

I think they both look modern today, for sure. I like the less "bubbly" styling, more straight lines.

And yep, 1st gen got the hood ornament which looks fabulous here. I'd KILL to have that, but it would look stupid on my car. That CLK looks as good now as it did when it left the showroom floor.

I'm honestly not that crazy about the CLK as a convertible, just doesn't look quite right. Still fine. But the coupe looked better:

IMO this also looks as good as the day it left the showroom floor.

You can't beat Mercedes for designing timeless automobiles.
Old 12-13-23, 02:25 PM
Stroock639
Lexus Test Driver

Received 241 Likes on 182 Posts

Originally Posted by AJT123
You can't beat Mercedes for designing timeless automobiles.
yes i've generally considered them to be the ones that set the styling trends, however they've definitely had their mulligan moments here and there lol
Old 12-13-23, 02:59 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,741 Likes on 1,962 Posts

I also much prefer the first gen CLK...

Was getting gas today and saw this AJT, didn't want to take a real conspicuous picture...

@LexsCTJill you will love this lol. So yesterday was 20c Tuesday! I had a company Christmas party to go to, but I always fuel up at the end of the day on Tuesday to maximize my savings! So I figured I would get gas on the way home. Well...when I arrived at the gas station it was 12:45 AM...so it was Wednesday...and the gas station was closed. Then this morning I was running late but on empty and couldn't stop on my way out which meant I had to gas up in Bethesda where gas is 50c a gallon more than where I live. So, by trying to save 20c on the one gallon of gas I would have spent driving to the party and back I cost myself about $14!

Old 12-13-23, 03:07 PM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by SW17LS

Was getting gas today and saw this AJT, didn't want to take a real conspicuous picture...

!
Nice, that's a pre-99 by the taillights. But it does have the more modern ground effects. I'm guessing that's a '97-'98ish. Definitely not MB rims that were ever offered on it. The top looks in great condition! I have an eagle eye for all this stuff now lol, the little things.
Old 12-13-23, 03:10 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Yes, the 1Gen CLK was a beautiful coupe. So was its (arguably) nearest-competitor, the Volvo C70.....particularly with the stunning gold-colored Saffron paint-job.

Old 12-13-23, 03:13 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

These GLSs look good, I really like the red here. But it’s the American biggies that just make this invisible, this isn’t half as bossy as an Escalade or Navi, Denali. IMO at least.

I really like the GLS. There is one in my parking garage at work thats the same color as my car I admire all the time.

I will seriously consider a GLS580 for myself...

Much better to drive than the Escalade or the Navigator

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Yes, the 1Gen CLK was a beautiful coupe. So was its (arguably) nearest-competitor, the Volvo C70.....particularly with the stunning gold-colored Saffron paint-job.

Yack lol
Old 12-13-23, 04:19 PM
Stroock639
Lexus Test Driver

Much better to drive than the Escalade or the Navigator
i'm still not happy about how much fake styling is going on at the front just for the sake of whatever 'that look' is with the non-functional plastic intakes... if the marketing team has concluded that doing so will increase sales then good for them, but i like to think that a product of this level is above petty superficial bumper inserts

and not saying that this is unique just to this model but they seemed to have increased the amount from the pre-facelift
Old 12-13-23, 04:29 PM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

I’m sure these drive quite well, probably better than the BOFs. Minus any hybrid hiccups, that is. Any 48v crap that’s acting up would ruin the whole experience. They’ve got state of the art tech and the ambient lighting etc etc. Cool stuff.

But the American BOFs drive quite well enough, are ICE only (pro or con) and they absolutely positively shame this thing in terms of presence and looks. Same with the Bentley crossover, it just looks dinky and small. Even the Lamborghini one is way too small, and there’s a Honda, Buick, and Kia that looks a lot like it from the front.

Nobody is gonna mistake an Escalade or Navi for nothin lol.
Old 12-13-23, 04:58 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

@LexsCTJill you will love this lol. So yesterday was 20c Tuesday! I had a company Christmas party to go to, but I always fuel up at the end of the day on Tuesday to maximize my savings! So I figured I would get gas on the way home. Well...when I arrived at the gas station it was 12:45 AM...so it was Wednesday...and the gas station was closed. Then this morning I was running late but on empty and couldn't stop on my way out which meant I had to gas up in Bethesda where gas is 50c a gallon more than where I live. So, by trying to save 20c on the one gallon of gas I would have spent driving to the party and back I cost myself about $14!
it’s principal with you isn’t it? Very stubborn
Old 12-13-23, 05:06 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

i'm still not happy about how much fake styling is going on at the front just for the sake of whatever 'that look' is with the non-functional plastic intakes... if the marketing team has concluded that doing so will increase sales then good for them, but i like to think that a product of this level is above petty superficial bumper inserts

and not saying that this is unique just to this model but they seemed to have increased the amount from the pre-facelift
That one has the AMG package. It’s about the same as the pre refresh version.

But the American BOFs drive quite well enough, are ICE only (pro or con) and they absolutely positively shame this thing in terms of presence and looks. Same with the Bentley crossover, it just looks dinky and small. Even the Lamborghini one is way too small, and there’s a Honda, Buick, and Kia that looks a lot like it from the front.

Nobody is gonna mistake an Escalade or Navi for nothin lol.
Not for me. I have no interest in one of the big BOF trucks for daily use. On a long highway trip sure but they’re too big and too truckish, too hard to park, won’t fit in my garage, just too many trade offs for “looks”. I really don’t care what people think or notice.

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
it’s principal with you isn’t it? Very stubborn
Its like a sport lol

Last edited by SW17LS; 12-13-23 at 05:09 PM.
Old 12-13-23, 05:50 PM
Stroock639
Lexus Test Driver

That one has the AMG package. It’s about the same as the pre refresh version.
oh gauwwd that just makes it worse! were i hans werner aufrecht i'd be full of contempt toward mercedes for turning my once passionate, dedicated performance shop into fashion brand

ehh who am i kidding i'd probably be thrilled with mercedes after all the money i got from them in the acquisition lmao
Old 12-13-23, 05:58 PM
link13
Lead Lap

Received 46 Likes on 40 Posts

I do approve of the gas station in the previous pictures. I am biased, of course.
Old 12-13-23, 06:10 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

oh gauwwd that just makes it worse! were i hans werner aufrecht i'd be full of contempt toward mercedes for turning my once passionate, dedicated performance shop into fashion brand

ehh who am i kidding i'd probably be thrilled with mercedes after all the money i got from them in the acquisition lmao
Mine has the AMG appearance package too
lol
Old 12-13-23, 07:11 PM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

A huge amount of stockpiled Crown Vics. I say use them!!! IDK why cops don’t retire cars much later, frankly. Problem is with these Panthers is that they’re reallllllly slow these days. But try to outrun the LAPD at your own peril. It won’t end well.

https://www.thedrive.com/news/stockp...ReHJ11VaJX7gjc
Old 12-13-23, 07:30 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

A huge amount of stockpiled Crown Vics. I say use them!!! IDK why cops don’t retire cars much later, frankly. Problem is with these Panthers is that they’re reallllllly slow these days. But try to outrun the LAPD at your own peril. It won’t end well.

https://www.thedrive.com/news/stockp...ReHJ11VaJX7gjc
Oh boy…debate coming

Saw the Buick Lacrosse today. Such a nice car outside. Interior I liked but not as good as Toyota Avalon. And the terrible non defeating start stop was a dumb idea

Lexus absolutely was Tier 1 back to our debate. This car blew everyone away, and was wholly competitive with the current 5 Series and E Class, better even in some ways. Listen to that UZ V8 scream, yummmm.

Seriously impressive car here.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kJw_94-uqXk
sorry but no

nowhere close

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 12-13-23 at 07:36 PM.

Quick Reply: General Car Conversation