Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

General Car Conversation

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-23, 06:27 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,741 Likes on 1,962 Posts

Originally Posted by jrmckinley
LOL, thought the same. I've had an LS400, LS430, and LS460 and now a Tesla. There is no similarity in the acceleration feel from any LS over to an EV. Conversely, there is no similarity in the Tesla ride to the LS ride.
Yeah, no similarity lol

Originally Posted by Striker223
Just leave the LS in first lol! All EVs feel the same........
Thats actually totally not true. You need to drive more EVs, the power delivery of different EVs is completely different. Some have torque curves like a gasoline engine (BMWs and MB EVs as an example) some just have instant on power (Teslas) and all the way in between.

The i7 I drove the power delivery feels very similar to my S560.

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
haha, great confession. i know it's a game/habit for you, but it's really a waste of your time.
Not really a waste since its the same station I always use around the corner from my house, its just when I choose to get gas, but yeah its a game lol
Old 12-15-23, 06:37 AM
signdetres
Racer

Received 886 Likes on 508 Posts

Originally Posted by AJT123
I just mean you hear the engine in the LS, you don't feel anything.
Haha I thought my GS 350 engine was sooo smooth. I thought it you couldn't feel anything in that either... and then I test drove a Tesla for the first time and was shocked and how smooth those motors were compared to the GS and realized how much I could actually feel in the GS after all. There was no comparison.

that's like saying all ice cars feel the same.

i've driven tesla, mercedes, and hyundai electric vehicles. while they're all fast with silent electric motors, they all very different.
I agree. Our Tesla and Mercedes EVs have different personalities, motor sounds and different characters all together.

• The Tesla's torque winds up from a dead stop, the Mercedes dumps all the torque immediately off the line. The horsepower and torque in the Tesla are almost equal to one another, the Mercedes has almost double the torque compared to horsepower.
  • Accelerating in the Tesla, you feel more horsepower than torque. In the Mercedes, it's a torque-first experience.
  • The Tesla's power drops with the battery percentage, (as in it's faster to accelerate at 100% state of charge vs 20%) whereas the Mercedes power levels are consistent from 100% all the way down to 2%.
  • The Tesla's normal drive mode will give you whiplash if you press the accelerator too hard or let go of it too quickly (regen braking) whereas the Mercedes' normal drive mode smooths all those inputs out (if you want the instant-EV whiplash experience you need to be in Sport mode in the Mercedes)

I could keep going but I won't, in sum, EVs have personalities that differ from one another. Anyone who thinks they all drive the same simply haven't driven any/many.

Last edited by signdetres; 12-15-23 at 07:42 AM.
Old 12-15-23, 10:37 AM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

Received 1,226 Likes on 911 Posts

my neighbor who just passed in his 90s drove a convertible clk430 forever. must have had a ton of miles on it. he loved that thing. he went to the gym every day. white with blue roof.

there were never popular. sold like death. i test drove one once at a lexus event. one of the most disappointing driving experiences ever although it did handle flat due to it's magnetic dampers.

looks GREAT. since the car was black i couldn't really see wheel gap but didn't look bad to me.

haha, great confession. i know it's a game/habit for you, but it's really a waste of your time.

i don't remember the last time i went to a gas station.

ftfy.

and with an ev you don't hear anything but you'll feel the torque!

that's like saying all ice cars feel the same.

i've driven tesla, mercedes, and hyundai electric vehicles. while they're all fast with silent electric motors, they all very different.
Their acceleration feel is exactly the same, just different levels of felt force. Completely boring. Slam your foot in sport/whatever mode in any of them and it's the same, some artificially dull the throttle like a badly tuned ice car does. I hate non-1:1 tunes so why would I drive them in that mode?

It still doesn't change that they all feel like 1 gear golf carts with varying levels of force.
Old 12-15-23, 07:19 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

Completely boring..
Boring doesn’t sell for high $$. Need good character. Style. Design. It’s easier for manufacturers to do this was a gas motor

look what’s on Doug DeMuro”s site

https://carsandbids.com/auctions/3On...toyota-celsior

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 12-15-23 at 08:31 PM.
Old 12-15-23, 08:22 PM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

Funny you linked that....that's what I am shooting for as my next 4 door lol!
Old 12-15-23, 09:45 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,463 Likes on 1,616 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
Boring doesn’t sell for high $$. Need good character. Style. Design. It’s easier for manufacturers to do this was a gas motor
easier today because that's all they've ever made. and yet... bmw now has the i7 EV. rolls royce has launched their first EV. bentley will surely follow. and without question these are EASIER to make than gas cars. FAR fewer parts.

about character and style, you don't get any higher than rolls royce but their drivetrains have alway been about silent comfortable wafting down the road. would you call that boring?
Old 12-15-23, 09:54 PM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Received 219 Likes on 184 Posts

Originally Posted by signdetres
Haha I thought my GS 350 engine was sooo smooth. I thought it you couldn't feel anything in that either... and then I test drove a Tesla for the first time and was shocked and how smooth those motors were compared to the GS and realized how much I could actually feel in the GS after all. There was no comparison.
y.
Toyota 3.5 versus UZ 4.3 V8 is also no comparison smoothness wise, we had an IS350. I didn't find the 3.5 particularly smooth nor satisfying at at all. Not even in the same universe as an LS430 V8. Potent though? You bet your ***.

Yes, I need to drive more EVs but I've been saying this since I bought it 12 years ago. It is quite obviously not an electric vehicle, but the way an LS430 accelerates is so linear, so smooth and silky.... it almost reminds me of an electric car. You don't feel anything, absolutely nothing from the engine. You just hear a purr. Now, we are talking about one of the most refined ICE engines ever made here. Take some garbage engine and I wouldn't be saying the same nice things. I rode in a 3cylinder Uber one of those Mitsubishi things, I seriously felt like I could hear/feel each time the cylinders fired and the crankshaft turned it was so god awful.
Old 12-15-23, 10:00 PM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

ftfy.
LS is obviously lighter than LX, but that isn't why it's faster. Weight is a factor, but LS430 V8 was designed to just make the car a bullet.

5.7 UR, performance in terms of outright speed isn't its main objective. It's made for work first, not speed.
Old 12-16-23, 02:51 AM
Stroock639
Lexus Test Driver

Received 241 Likes on 182 Posts

Toyota 3.5 versus UZ 4.3 V8 is also no comparison smoothness wise, we had an IS350. I didn't find the 3.5 particularly smooth nor satisfying at at all. Not even in the same universe as an LS430 V8. Potent though? You bet your ***.
the previous V6 (3MZ) feels more like the 1998+ UZ in terms of torquey-ness and how it wafts you along compared to the 2GR... but whereas the 3MZ is sort of only satisfying at lower rpms and the 2GR only at higher rpms, the UZ is always great! while sounding much nicer too of course

my dad's old 2004 camry SE has the 3MZ and it's very amusing how easily it could light up the front tires in 1st haha

Old 12-16-23, 02:57 AM
Stroock639
Lexus Test Driver

Received 241 Likes on 182 Posts

look what’s on Doug DeMuro”s site
CARRRRSSSSSS AND BIDDDSSSSSSS!!!!

that's awesome though i love seeing my car with toyota emblems, also how in 'Celsior' they seem to have incorporated the LS logo in the middle of the name

this looks like a type c as well i see some major options going on... that 'auto airpuri' dial on the right of the 3rd pic activates a big air filtration system that allows you to chain smoke mild sevens all the way to your next meeting with the windows up and not get the car too smokey inside, and it looks like an early radar cruise control sensor in the front bumper! just some of the few things that the lexus version here never got as an option lol

Last edited by Stroock639; 12-16-23 at 03:01 AM.
Old 12-16-23, 07:14 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

but the way an LS430 accelerates is so linear, so smooth and silky.... it almost reminds me of an electric car. You don't feel anything, absolutely nothing from the engine. You just hear a purr. Now, we are talking about one of the most refined ICE engines ever made here. Take some garbage engine and I wouldn't be saying the same nice things. I rode in a 3cylinder Uber one of those Mitsubishi things, I seriously felt like I could hear/feel each time the cylinders fired and the crankshaft turned it was so god awful.
2UZ was the most refined out of the 1UZ, 2UZ and 3UZ.
Funny you linked that....that's what I am shooting for as my next 4 door lol!
Someone has a new Bentley at the medical facility downtown. I’ve been trying to figure out the engine size but I can’t. There are no badges.

Originally Posted by Stroock639

that's awesome though i love seeing my car with toyota emblems, also how in 'Celsior' they seem to have incorporated the LS logo in the middle of the name
l
‘ha. Never saw that. Good catch

@Striker223

https://carsandbids.com/auctions/3py...-amg-s65-coupe

sad Lexus was lazy and never made a V12.

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 12-16-23 at 07:22 AM.
Old 12-16-23, 07:33 AM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

The 2UZ was the least refined of the UZ engines actually, the car versions were the ones that had the most work put into both mechanical smoothness and overall powerband consistency. The UR is also extremely smooth but it's louder in the cars due to the DI system and not enough sound insulation like rivals from the Germans. My 460 always has a faint clicking that lead to it getting the induction noise booster to at least make the sound it has pleasing, my two Germans are silent. The W12 exceeds the smoothness of anything Lexus ever had with ease, it's not on the same level of any V8 at all even when I first got the car with two broken driveline mounts and carbon buildup it STILL exceeded them.

The MZ is smooth but the GR is better as installed in cars if both are working correctly, the GR also actually has some power unlike the MZ.

If a Bentley of current gen doesn't have a W12 badge it's a V8 or hybrid, the lesser cars don't get any badges indicating what it is. You need to ID them based on bumpers/trim inserts and the lack of an engine badge, no badge immediately means it has the wrong engine though....

Old 12-16-23, 07:56 AM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

I don't like how they dropped the 6.75L V8 yet on the website they say the W12 is legendary. It's not--- not compared to what Bentley just threw out at least.
Old 12-16-23, 07:58 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

I don't like how they dropped the 6.75L V8 yet on the website they say the W12 is legendary. It's not--- not compared to what Bentley just threw out at least.
What’s not? A W12?
Old 12-16-23, 08:11 AM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

What’s not? A W12?
Correct. For 50+ years Bentley used exclusively the old 6.75L V8.

It was such a torque monster, so insane, that the redline was around 4700 RPM.

Quick Reply: General Car Conversation