Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

General Car Conversation

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-22, 10:24 AM
swajames
Pole Position

Received 731 Likes on 459 Posts

Originally Posted by AJT123
Here's another reason lots of us like heavy trucks. You are safe from idiots like this person in the video:

https://www.roadandtrack.com/news/a4...exus-lx-crash/
As dumb as this was, the Lexus is attempting a u-turn in a street across double solid yellows. So the C8 driver wasn't necessarily the only idiot.
Old 07-13-22, 10:26 AM
swajames
Pole Position

Originally Posted by SW17LS
Those Benz wagons are the epitome of family class IMO…
Those E-Class wagons might just be the perfect family car. Shame you so rarely see them.
Old 07-13-22, 10:27 AM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Received 236 Likes on 198 Posts

Originally Posted by swajames
As dumb as this was, the Lexus is attempting a u-turn in a street across double solid yellows. So the C8 driver wasn't necessarily the only idiot.
True. At least the Lexus didn't have someone on the roof though. It appears this one guy is lying on the engine area?
Old 07-13-22, 10:29 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 72 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by swajames
How do you know that the road was not blocked ahead by police or firetrucks? .... So maybe the LX was trying to just turn around
Old 07-13-22, 10:33 AM
swajames
Pole Position

Originally Posted by AJT123
True. At least the Lexus didn't have someone on the roof though. It appears this one guy is lying on the engine area?
indeed! The corvette driver and passenger were to blame as they were not clearly not paying attention. You can be fairly certain that was a social media post in progress....
Old 07-13-22, 10:35 AM
swajames
Pole Position

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
How do you know that the road was not blocked ahead by police or firetrucks? .... So maybe the LX was trying to just turn around
Great points. There could have been aliens, a herd of wildebeest sweeping majestically across the plain, a portal to another dimension, anything really.

Thanks for keeping us open to all these possibilities, Jill!
Old 07-13-22, 10:41 AM
Margate330
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,030 Likes on 814 Posts

Guys in Corvette were goofing off and not paying attention IMO.
The SUV showed tremendous mercy.

Imagine a 2" steel bar Reese hitch with a 2" ball hitch sticking out on the SUV, one day I'll tell ya'll what that looks like when someone hits ya. lol

Spoiler

Smoking screenshot from video above.

Old 07-13-22, 10:43 AM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Margate330

Imagine a 2" steel bar Reese hitch with a 2" ball hitch sticking out on the SUV, one day I'll tell ya'll what that looks like when someone hits ya. lol

Spoiler

That's why I'd leave my hitch in if it wasn't ugly on mine, take the damage from "minimal" to "nothing" basically when some idiot rear ends you lol. I always left it on on my GMC bc it didn't look bad. It looks like that LX took some minor bumper damage or dents, probably could pop it out with PDR and be fine lol. But I'm sure the paint has cracks etc from the wreck.

Last edited by AJT123; 07-13-22 at 10:47 AM.
Old 07-13-22, 11:05 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Margate330

Spoiler

Smoking screenshot from video above.

If the morons in the Vette were not being morons....they would not have crashed. The mighty LX was doing nothing wrong.
Old 07-13-22, 11:11 AM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

I'm not sure if this was here in the States? Or Canada?

Edit: Nevermind, it looks like it.

Another interesting thing to note is, I would assume the AHC would start to lower which would crush the Vette even more... It's a suspension that lifts 7,000 lbs, I assume the downforce is pretty robust and strong as well. It probably was already adjusting as the driver pulled ahead. The manual says to lower suspension for convenience hooking a trailer up, then the AHC lifts the trailer and rear end back up. It's very heavy duty.

Last edited by AJT123; 07-13-22 at 11:15 AM.
Old 07-13-22, 12:02 PM
sm1ke
Racer

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

If the morons in the Vette were not being morons....they would not have crashed. The mighty LX was doing nothing wrong.
Both drivers are at fault, but the C8 driver was undeniably to blame as they were obviously not paying attention. You can turn left over double solid yellow lines if you are turning into or out of a residence or business. But it is illegal to drive over yellow "zebra" median markers, which is what the LX was doing.
Old 07-13-22, 12:32 PM
Margate330
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,030 Likes on 814 Posts

Originally Posted by sm1ke
Both drivers are at fault, but the C8 driver was undeniably to blame as they were obviously not paying attention. You can turn left over double solid yellow lines if you are turning into or out of a residence or business. But it is illegal to drive over yellow "zebra" median markers, which is what the LX was doing.
Lexus drivers can do no wrong.
Not sure if that's true but sounds good and I like it...

Old 07-13-22, 12:40 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by sm1ke
We don’t know why the LX was positioned like that. But we do know the Corvette failed to stop. For All we know is the LX panic braked to avoid something and tried to break and avoid. I just look at the evidence that is present.
Old 07-13-22, 01:17 PM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Corvette driver also apparently thought it was a good idea for someone to lie on top of it while the driver shows off. How stupid are people? My GOD.
Old 07-13-22, 01:27 PM
sm1ke
Racer

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

We don’t know why the LX was positioned like that. But we do know the Corvette failed to stop. For All we know is the LX panic braked to avoid something and tried to break and avoid. I just look at the evidence that is present.
For all we know the LX was trying to force a u-turn in heavy traffic over a median marker. For all we know the C8 had a brake malfunction and could not brake. For all we know, the video is staged or doctored.

The evidence that is present = LX driving illegally over a median marker, C8 collides with the LX (with a passenger of the C8 sitting on the back of the car instead of in the passenger seat). I know you love everything Toyota, but the LX is still doing something illegal based on the evidence presented. Unless you can prove otherwise, what we see is what we get.

Quick Reply: General Car Conversation