Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

General Car Conversation

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-23, 06:23 AM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Received 236 Likes on 198 Posts

Originally Posted by SW17LS
Thats a fun story, but you haven’t done the same things to your Mercedes so any comparison is just a fun mental exercise. These old Mercedes are also very robust, that’s why they are still around at all.
Yes they are definitely robust, but delicate at the same time with the tops. I can tell you with almost 100% certainty that if the same jumping tactics had been applied to the Mercedes as have the Lexus, the SL would be fried, totaled.

Do you think somebody who owns a garage queen show car cares how often it’s been to the dealer? They don’t. These low mileage cars will be just fine, sure they may require some money to get them into the condition where they can be driven a lot reliably, but that’s not what the owner is looking to do with the car.
It's not going to be "some money". It's going to be A LOT of money. Trust me.

Also, I guess they wouldn't care how much it's been to the dealer if the goal is to just keep it garaged. And I don't understand why someone would just let a car like this sit and rot.

”it doesn’t have a shot”. Do you honestly believe a 17k mile SL is going to be junked because it sat too long? Come on.
Yes! It happens all the time! Sitting, never being used is the #1 killer of these cars.

Someone will invest the money necessary to keep it in good shape because that’s why they bought it.
Or just do their due diligence and be patient like me and they'll fine one that's reliable right off the bat and skip all the hassle of bringing. it up to snuff altogether.

It doesn’t surprise me at all, like I said they are very robust cars. I know a guy who owned W126 S Classes and he was selling real estate and put 400k miles on one and never had any problem..
I believe it. What model was it?

The bottom line is, sitting isn’t good for any car, a Lexus is not in any way immune to the effects of sitting for a long time. If anything it’s harder for it because it has more plastic and rubber components that break down with age.
I agree with you, but I was just making a point. I still think my LX would start right up though, it's a Land Cruiser designed for the worst.

Also these R129s, I wouldn't go near one that wasn't a 99+ (last last ones).
Old 12-19-23, 06:33 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,774 Likes on 1,981 Posts

Originally Posted by AJT123
Yes they are definitely robust, but delicate at the same time with the tops. I can tell you with almost 100% certainty that if the same jumping tactics had been applied to the Mercedes as have the Lexus, the SL would be fried, totaled.
You have no experience from which to tell me that, and I’m not listening because you don’t lol. You assume it wouldn’t, that’s different than knowing.

I wouldn't subject any car to that situation so it really doesn’t matter. A top not working is different than the car being mechanically unsound.

It's not going to be "some money". It's going to be A LOT of money. Trust me.
What constitutes “a lot” of money depends on the person. If I were restoring a great example of a car I deeply loved $25,000 isn’t a lot to me.

Also, I guess they wouldn't care how much it's been to the dealer if the goal is to just keep it garaged. And I don't understand why someone would just let a car like this sit and rot.
People own cars all over the place that just sit in collections and don’t get driven much. It’s not my thing but I get it. It’s just like collecting anything else.

Yes! It happens all the time! Sitting, never being used is the #1 killer of these cars.
Yeah no lol. A beautiful low mileage car will always have value and somebody will always buy it and restore it. The only SLs that go to the scrap heap are completely wrung out and wrecked ones.

Or just do their due diligence and be patient like me and they'll fine one that's reliable right off the bat and skip all the hassle of bringing. it up to snuff altogether.
But they don’t want your car, it has too many miles and it’s not as new enough. This low mileage type of car is what they want.

Not everybody has the same objectives as you lol. All of these collectors who pay huge premiums for low mileage cars even if they may need some work are not stupid. They know what they are doing.

agree with you, but I was just making a point. I still think my LX would start right up though, it's a Land Cruiser designed for the worst.
Same alternator and starter that are in lots of other Toyotas. Same engine.

Old 12-19-23, 06:49 AM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

You have no experience from which to tell me that, and I’m not listening because you don’t lol. You assume it wouldn’t, that’s different than knowing.
Except I've been following these cars (as used/in the used market) for 15-20 years and know them quite well. It's well known to be verrrrrry careful with the electronics and jumping, ask anyone who knows these cars, ask any MB mechanic. I've seen stuff like this happen. And I'm pretty sure you're just picking an argument here with a quip like that. I'll pass.

What constitutes “a lot” of money depends on the person. If I were restoring a great example of a car I deeply loved $25,000 isn’t a lot to me.
Certainly your business. These cars don't need to be restored though, they need to be run.

Yeah no lol. A beautiful low mileage car will always have value and somebody will always buy it and restore it. The only SLs that go to the scrap heap are completely wrung out and wrecked ones..
That's just not true. I see so many part outs of ones with low, low miles.

But they don’t want your car, it has too many miles and it’s not as new enough. This low mileage type of car is what they want.
More power to them then. Spending $25k to get a nice car drivable on top of the cost of acquisition versus buying and driving one that has 40k more miles and requires basically nothing, that's peoples' personal choice.

All of these collectors who pay huge premiums for low mileage cars even if they may need some work are not stupid. They know what they are doing.
Oh some are, trust me. Plenty of dumb people out there.

​​​​​Same alternator and starter that are in lots of other Toyotas. Same engine.
And engineered to last 30 years in the world's worst conditions. It would start I think.

Last edited by AJT123; 12-19-23 at 06:53 AM.
Old 12-19-23, 06:56 AM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Wow! A V12 that ran to 222k miles and they're selling it still for 12k. Exactly what I mean, these things need to be DRIVEN and they last.

Last edited by AJT123; 12-19-23 at 06:59 AM.
Old 12-19-23, 07:03 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Except I've been following these cars (as used/in the used market) for 15-20 years and know them quite well. It's well known to be verrrrrry careful with the electronics and jumping, ask anyone who knows these cars, ask any MB mechanic. I've seen stuff like this happen. And I'm pretty sure you're just picking an argument here with a quip like that. I'll pass.
So have I. I don’t own one but I have always loved them and considered buying one and followed the forums and owner experiences etc.

Certainly your business. These cars don't need to be restored though, they need to be run.
Thats your opinion, plenty of people want to buy them and just look at them too and as they get older that will become more common. I myself would like a low mileage one in great condition that I could maintain and drive on the weekends etc. I’ll pay way more for that than you paid but that’s okay.

That's just not true. I see so many part outs of ones with low, low miles.
Then show us, show us some SLs with 17k miles that are being parted out that weren’t in an accident or a flood or a fire or stolen etc.

More power to them then. Spending $25k to get a nice car drivable on top of the cost of acquisition versus buying and driving one that has 40k more miles and requires basically nothing, that's peoples' personal choice.
Not everybody makes the same decisions as you, and that doesn’t make those who don’t wrong. There is also no such thing as requiring nothing. These cars are 20-35 years old, something major could go at any moment on your car and cost you a large amount of money, that’s just the name of the game.

You drive very little, if I were driving your car like I drive my car, it would display multiple reliability issues I bet.

The right point is that people shouldn’t buy a low mileage 20+ year old car and think they can just drive that as their daily with regular maintenance. That’s true of Lexuses too though, I give that advice to people in the LS forums all the time.

And engineered to last 30 years in the world's worst conditions. It would start I think.
MB’s components are also engineered to last.
Old 12-19-23, 07:03 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Wow! A V12 that ran to 222k miles and they're selling it still for 12k. Exactly what I mean, these things need to be DRIVEN and they last.

Thats great, how many low mileage cars are also out there and they have lasted too.
Old 12-19-23, 07:44 AM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

So have I. I don’t own one but I have always loved them and considered buying one and followed the forums and owner experiences etc.

Thats your opinion, plenty of people want to buy them and just look at them too and as they get older that will become more common. I myself would like a low mileage one in great condition that I could maintain and drive on the weekends etc. I’ll pay way more for that than you paid but that’s okay.
Like I said, that's all great. It's none of my business what people do with their cars. I could see just wanting to stare at these, hell I do my own every time I go out into my garage. I never said people don't let cars sit, I just think it's a waste with these personally.

Then show us, show us some SLs with 17k miles that are being parted out that weren’t in an accident or a flood or a fire or stolen etc.
Next time I see an example I sure will!

Not everybody makes the same decisions as you, and that doesn’t make those who don’t wrong. There is also no such thing as requiring nothing. These cars are 20-35 years old, something major could go at any moment on your car and cost you a large amount of money, that’s just the name of the game.
So the car will start and be fine after 5 years as easily as a Lexus LX designed for the worst, or it's unreliable and I'm just waiting on a $5,000 repair? Which is it?

You drive very little, if I were driving your car like I drive my car, it would display multiple reliability issues I bet.
I don't agree. The more it gets driven the better. I just don't want tons of miles on it. Mechanically it's a tank. I don't put the miles on like you but the car gets used very frequently. M113 and 722.5 are more reliable than the engine and trans in yours.

The right point is that people shouldn’t buy a low mileage 20+ year old car and think they can just drive that as their daily with regular maintenance.
Well, I did. 58k is low mileage. Motor mounts have been it, big deal. I was having too much fun with it. It's going to the dealer in a month for the yearly service, I anticipate all in the green again like last time. Will report back. I'd still be DD- ing it but it's winter and the tires suck in the cold.

MB’s components are also engineered to last.
Agree.
Old 12-19-23, 07:46 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,516 Likes on 1,655 Posts

The only thing the Lexus lacks is giving you the man to machine connection that a sporty European car does.
'only thing' huh? that 'thing' only took a century to develop and is no small thing.

The passion all starts with the Mercedes the second you turn the key and hear the German high torque starter whirl. It's hard to explain. In that aspect, Lexus is lacking.
so the reality is you agree with jill, the passion, the engineering, the handling, the history, the racing, the high end sporty models, all goes to european cars. lexus cannot compare. the lfa was AMAZING, but such a weird move to produce a one year model and then done. your ls was amazing (and still a GREAT car) as a very smooth and comfortable luxury sedan that's plenty quick. lexus KNOWS they can't compete though (or choose not to spend the kind of money it would take) with a main focus on profitable niches of premium quiet and well built suvs and the ES. even the LC i have is completely differnt to everything else. it's like they have a 'need' to do something less boring every decade or two.
Old 12-19-23, 07:52 AM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
'only thing' huh? that 'thing' only took a century to develop and is no small thing.

so the reality is you agree with jill, the passion, the engineering, the handling, the history, the racing, the high end sporty models, all goes to european cars. lexus cannot compare. the lfa was AMAZING, but such a weird move to produce a one year model and then done. your ls was amazing (and still a GREAT car) as a very smooth and comfortable luxury sedan that's plenty quick. lexus KNOWS they can't compete though (or choose not to spend the kind of money it would take) with a main focus on profitable niches of premium quiet and well built suvs and the ES. even the LC i have is completely differnt to everything else. it's like they have a 'need' to do something less boring every decade or two.
This is silly--- you know exactly what I mean, and you know how much I love both of my Lexuses, and am looking for an LC in a couple years. But go in my garage and start the LS430 and then start the SL, big difference.

LS430 easily one of the best cars ever made....ever. I've maintained that since I've owned it.
Old 12-19-23, 07:57 AM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

BTW I love watching things like these:
Old 12-19-23, 08:04 AM
signdetres
Racer

Received 887 Likes on 508 Posts

@AJT123 I know what you mean about the Mercedes starter sounds. Growing up, that was yet another thing I loved about them over everyone else, ESPECIALLY the 65 models startup with the whir from the V12 starter. That was my favorite. I was at a Mercedes dealer once as a kid and they cold started an SL65 across the parking lot. It was glorious. I could hear a Mercedes starting without having to see it. Very iconic starter sounds.

For those who don't know, this is the famous V12 starter sound from Mercedes:

Their V8s also have both a low rumble and a higher pitched whine simultaneously that to me has always been an iconic V8 Mercedes thing

It's times like these I miss the "specialness" and nostalgia of having a Mercedes with a V8 (or more, we had 4 V8 Mercedes growing up and almost got a W220 S600 once). I would never go back to an ICE car and really enjoy our EV Mercedes, but anyone can shove a powerful + smooth EV motor in a car. Not every OEM can build wonderful V8s and V12s like they do/did.

Last edited by signdetres; 12-19-23 at 08:08 AM.
Old 12-19-23, 08:34 AM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by signdetres
@AJT123 I know what you mean about the Mercedes starter sounds. Growing up, that was yet another thing I loved about them over everyone else, ESPECIALLY the 65 models startup with the whir from the V12 starter. That was my favorite. I was at a Mercedes dealer once as a kid and they cold started an SL65 across the parking lot. It was glorious. I could hear a Mercedes starting without having to see it. Very iconic starter sounds.

For those who don't know, this is the famous V12 starter sound from Mercedes:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0wHeCm0iP74

Their V8s also have both a low rumble and a higher pitched whine simultaneously that to me has always been an iconic V8 Mercedes thing

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0QxvyPEl3hg

It's times like these I miss the "specialness" and nostalgia of having a Mercedes with a V8 (or more, we had 4 V8 Mercedes growing up and almost got a W220 S600 once). I would never go back to an ICE car and really enjoy our EV Mercedes, but anyone can shove a powerful + smooth EV motor in a car. Not every OEM can build wonderful V8s and V12s like they do/did.
Awesome post. Couldn't agree more.

Is that W220 an S500? Sounds identical to my SL starting almost, same exact engine, etc. It's truly a treat to fire her up, I leave the garage closed at first to enjoy it fully.

Starting up the Lexuses, well... it's like starting a refrigerator. Not that I don't love them too.

And agreed, a Mercedes V8 is definitely a treat, a very premium engine. That's why it's fun to just putter around in the SL most of the time, I've got a bona-fide luxury car powertrain that's fantastic.

Last edited by AJT123; 12-19-23 at 08:37 AM.
Old 12-19-23, 08:39 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

So the car will start and be fine after 5 years as easily as a Lexus LX designed for the worst, or it's unreliable and I'm just waiting on a $5,000 repair? Which is it?
A 20 year old LX is also waiting on a $5,000 repair unless you have truly replaced everything that is broken down by age. Nothing lasts forever. I have a 2003 ES300 with 215,000 miles. My mom drives it maybe 1,000 miles a year. If I all of a sudden started driving it 1,500 miles a month it would explode lol. I would be on the side of the road in 3 months.

I don't agree. The more it gets driven the better. I just don't want tons of miles on it. Mechanically it's a tank. I don't put the miles on like you but the car gets used very frequently. M113 and 722.5 are more reliable than the engine and trans in yours.
That makes no sense, sorry. Using a vehicle creates wear, everything has a life. A car that is driven 30,000 miles a year suffers from WAY more wear than a car driven 3,000 miles a year.

If what you say is true everything would last for 1,000,000 miles and old cars with 300,000 miles would be more reliable than ones with 100,000 miles and that just isn't the case

Well, I did. 58k is low mileage. Motor mounts have been it, big deal. I was having too much fun with it. It's going to the dealer in a month for the yearly service, I anticipate all in the green again like last time. Will report back. I'd still be DD- ing it but it's winter and the tires suck in the cold.
But you drive very little. If I were driving it 15-20k a year I would have reliability problems because the old, worn components wouldn't stand up to that use. Plastic, rubber, sensors, wiring, all of that becomes brittle and weak with age, and heavy use causes failures.

LS430 easily one of the best cars ever made....ever. I've maintained that since I've owned it.
Its a great vehicle, but it has no soul...its a wonderful car to drive when its new but it never offered me any reason to want to keep it. You show me a better car I want and I was happy to trade all my Lexuses in. My Mercedes is the first car I have had that I legitimately am not ready to part with it, even for another car I really like a lot, I never understood that difference until I had one.

Last edited by SW17LS; 12-19-23 at 08:43 AM.
Old 12-19-23, 08:44 AM
Stroock639
Lexus Test Driver

Received 248 Likes on 189 Posts

one clear difference in philosophy between my cars is the benz will do a clear 'cold start' where it's a whole big dramatic thing for like 20 seconds then it settles right down, whereas the LS and other toyota products i've seen will have an initial high idle that gradually subsides over the next few minutes

my dad's car does a GREAT cold start lol, and that's 100% factory stock!

Old 12-19-23, 08:46 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 88 Likes on 87 Posts

Using a vehicle creates wear, everything has a life. A car that is driven 30,000 miles a year suffers from WAY more wear than a car driven 3,000 miles a year.
Although that is generally true, it depends on the circumstances. Few things are worse for ICE engines/transmissions than to just let them sit for extended periods, without being driven.

Quick Reply: General Car Conversation