Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

General Car Conversation

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-23, 11:52 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by AJT123
I could say the same thing to you, don’t you own a 2004 vehicle?e.
I do. I have repaired numerous things. Alternator connector, failed, shock, absorbers, rear springs, one of my brake calipers, two front bearings, transmission, oil, cooling lines needed replacement, the power steering lines needed to be replaced. Probably looking at about $5000 worth of repairs in the last 4 years.

I could sell it today for 13-15k more than I paid for it. AT LEAST. ROI will always be fine. It will just appreciate more and more.
you did not pay $7000 for your car did you

you don’t have the hardtop

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 12-19-23 at 11:56 AM.
Old 12-19-23, 11:52 AM
FrankReynoldsCPA
Lexus Test Driver

Received 95 Likes on 67 Posts

Having mostly driven the BMW lately, I decided to drive the truck to work today. Definitely feels a lot more truck-ish now after driving a sedan around. I'll never stop loving the V8 grunt and sound. It does need brake pads up front and it lets me know.

Old 12-19-23, 12:49 PM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Received 219 Likes on 184 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
I

you did not pay $7000 for your car did you

you don’t have the hardtop
I’d direct any prospective buyer to find another one as clean and well running as mine.

I can’t find the link but one SA SL500 on BAT (I watch all bids) sold for $37,000. Identical miles as mine. Seemed to be in identical condition, except the soft top was messed up which they were trying to hide (if you don’t know these cars you wouldn’t notice it). Definitely that top needs work. We use our top as much as we would if it were a new car, knock on wood, works great.

Hardtop is worth a couple grand off the price.

My buddy who successfully brokers high end cars mostly Porsches for a living told me what he’d list it for, lotttttts more than I paid.

I’m never selling it so who cares. But I will never lose money on it. This has 59k, mine had 58.

Edit: Found that listing.

https://www.parkplaceltd.com/vehicle...KhzbHyYORjpfzg

Last edited by AJT123; 12-19-23 at 01:27 PM.
Old 12-19-23, 02:04 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

I’d direct any prospective buyer to find another one as clean and well running as mine.

I can’t find the link but one SA SL500 on BAT (I watch all bids) sold for $37,000. Identical miles as mine. Seemed to be in identical condition, except the soft top was messed up which they were trying to hide (if you don’t know these cars you wouldn’t notice it). Definitely that top needs work. We use our top as much as we would if it were a new car, knock on wood, works great.

Hardtop is worth a couple grand off the price.

My buddy who successfully brokers high end cars mostly Porsches for a living told me what he’d list it for, lotttttts more than I paid.

I’m never selling it so who cares. But I will never lose money on it. This has 59k, mine had 58.

Edit: Found that listing.

https://www.parkplaceltd.com/vehicle...KhzbHyYORjpfzg

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 12-19-23 at 02:08 PM.
Old 12-19-23, 02:24 PM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill

Strange history. It says top cylinders have been rebuilt 3 times.
Old 12-19-23, 03:10 PM
link13
Lead Lap

Received 46 Likes on 40 Posts

Soul or character in a car is so much in the eye of the beholder. My “first” car was a 1972 Fiat 124 Special sedan and my Dad would not let me buy it from him. He knew and knows I am not much of a mechanically inclined guy. I am grateful. It was kind of a neat car and despite being dog slow, it was was fun in twisties.

I bought my AE86 and I still have it. Motor and transmission are ready to go in. I drove it for years. I would tell people who are infatuated with these cars because of Initial D and/or drifting that they will be disappointed if they buy one. I have also had a 1GS and 2 3IS cars. I didn’t buy my IS250 F Sport because I wanted the big motor. I didn’t buy the 350 because the residual was higher than the value and LFS doesn’t negotiate. That car’s appeal to me was mostly Atomic Silver with Rioja Red. The corporate 3.5 liter V6 was nice and smooth but really not as advanced as what competitors were making even in 2016.

Now, I have a 2019 Civic Sport Touring, so it’s a somewhat expensive Civic but has 19s and it is lowered a bit. I do get compliments on it. I did get joy out of driving it on the way down the mountain from Kern Valley 2 years ago. It’s planted, responsive, and predictable. I sometimes eye my next car. Paid in full is nice though.

I like reading how some of you enjoy the sounds of your cars including the sound of starters. I don’t have the time or wallet for older cars anymore​​​​​. Reminds me that the a/c in the Civic crapped out and I need to get it fixed. So much for reliability. It’s a commodity car.

Old 12-19-23, 03:12 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,741 Likes on 1,962 Posts

Originally Posted by BrettJacks
IMO there isn't a blander design, interior or exterior, than a 2000's Toyota/Lexus product. It was an era where most automotive design was rather bland but Toyota took that to another level for the most part.

But even in the more recent years, the GS was a sad competitor to the 5 series or E Class. It had nothing to offer really.
Actually when the 4GS first came out it won the comparison test.

But oh lord if something happened to my LS430 I would be devastated.

We love LX too of course but that’s easily replaceable.

LS430 I’ve had since age 29, it’s been driven across country and back, driven in LA gridlock for 2 years. It would be horrendous if the 430 got totaled or something. It may not have the soul you think it lacks but it’s ABSOLUTELY a special car.
Do you think that has more to do with your history with the car or the car itself? Your LS is pretty easily replaceable too, good ones are out there.

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
back to lexus vs mb, 12 cyliners, etc., just watched this...

5 First World Problems I'm Having With "The Best Car In The World" My $250K Mercedes S65 AMG

https://youtu.be/E3-PltMaiUo?si=Bz3aWDtZRmk4xjvT
I watch his videos, I LOVE that red wrap. It doesn't even look like a wrap!

Originally Posted by Stroock639
haven't driven the 430 but i have seen several people say they prefer driving their 400 to the 430
Much preferred my LS400 and my LS460s to my 430.

I could sell it today for 13-15k more than I paid for it. AT LEAST. ROI will always be fine. It will just appreciate more and more.
Not if you keep driving it...

And I really don’t think there’s any ticking time bomb… they run well into 200k if cared for correctly. There are no fatal flaws in these, just the tops need to be taken care of and hydraulics replaed.
They will run to 200k, but you're going to have some serious repairs along the way.
Old 12-19-23, 03:27 PM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

Received 1,226 Likes on 911 Posts

Originally Posted by patgilm
If I saw someone doing that I would just laugh, sorry. It’s so ridiculous that happened on a car at that price.

With that said, even though I like a more sporty ride in a SUV, since my X7 lease is coming up my wife was asking me about getting a Range Rover and I was thinking maybe we will look at one. Then a guy I work with told me about how long the wait lists are right now for one so that’s not happening.
It was funny AF, whole car including myself was laughing. We got out and some guys in a built dodge joined in bashing how stupid it is that an 110k car had that happen
Old 12-19-23, 03:34 PM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
'only thing' huh? that 'thing' only took a century to develop and is no small thing.

so the reality is you agree with jill, the passion, the engineering, the handling, the history, the racing, the high end sporty models, all goes to european cars. lexus cannot compare. the lfa was AMAZING, but such a weird move to produce a one year model and then done. your ls was amazing (and still a GREAT car) as a very smooth and comfortable luxury sedan that's plenty quick. lexus KNOWS they can't compete though (or choose not to spend the kind of money it would take) with a main focus on profitable niches of premium quiet and well built suvs and the ES. even the LC i have is completely differnt to everything else. it's like they have a 'need' to do something less boring every decade or two.
I totally agree, and it's MADDENING when they do since it proves that it's not a matter of can't but rather won't. Just imagine the LFA engine in the F lineup of cars as the halo engine option?
Old 12-19-23, 03:34 PM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by signdetres
@AJT123 I know what you mean about the Mercedes starter sounds. Growing up, that was yet another thing I loved about them over everyone else, ESPECIALLY the 65 models startup with the whir from the V12 starter. That was my favorite. I was at a Mercedes dealer once as a kid and they cold started an SL65 across the parking lot. It was glorious. I could hear a Mercedes starting without having to see it. Very iconic starter sounds.

For those who don't know, this is the famous V12 starter sound from Mercedes:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0wHeCm0iP74

Their V8s also have both a low rumble and a higher pitched whine simultaneously that to me has always been an iconic V8 Mercedes thing

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0QxvyPEl3hg

It's times like these I miss the "specialness" and nostalgia of having a Mercedes with a V8 (or more, we had 4 V8 Mercedes growing up and almost got a W220 S600 once). I would never go back to an ICE car and really enjoy our EV Mercedes, but anyone can shove a powerful + smooth EV motor in a car. Not every OEM can build wonderful V8s and V12s like they do/did.
I always start my 12 with my door open to just listen to the sound that only a 12 makes, it's also interesting how it starts. It's very abrupt once the start is done and light off happens, in normal mode it spikes to 1750 and then settles to 700 as soon as SAI is done. In dynamic it "barks" awake to 2k and has the exhaust open on start if you left it that way, once done with SAI it closes the exhaust again.

Last edited by Striker223; 12-19-23 at 03:41 PM.
Old 12-19-23, 04:24 PM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,617 Likes on 1,031 Posts

Originally Posted by SW17LS
Actually when the 4GS first came out it won the comparison test.
This was my favorite one for when the 4th gen GS debuted:

https://www.motortrend.com/reviews/s...luxury-sedans/

The shame is that Lexus let it linger and didn't provide a follow up, 5th gen.
Old 12-19-23, 04:36 PM
TangoRed
Lead Lap

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Striker223
It was funny AF, whole car including myself was laughing. We got out and some guys in a built dodge joined in bashing how stupid it is that an 110k car had that happen
While I've never had that happen, random glitches are par for the course. For example, I remember one time I put the car in reverse and one of the cameras decided it was taking the day off. You just go "Oh ok then, maybe later" and move on with your day.
Old 12-19-23, 05:04 PM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by BrettJacks
. I'll never stop loving the V8 grunt and sound. .
Me neither....
Old 12-19-23, 05:11 PM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Do you think that has more to do with your history with the car or the car itself? Your LS is pretty easily replaceable too, good ones are out there.
It's getting tougher to find the best ones. Part of the reason I'm so attached to it is because I've had it for so long, taken care of it so long. If it got wrecked I'd find another one, but it would never be the same.

To answer your question I would say "Both".

Not if you keep driving it...
I put 6k miles on it in a year. I'm gonna try for 4 next year.

They will run to 200k, but you're going to have some serious repairs along the way.
Like what? Engine is a brick, so is transmission. It's on a shortened W124 platform which is also rock solid. As long as I keep everything maintained I don't expect any significant mechanical trouble out of it at all. None so far in a year.

It'll be interesting to come back here around Xmas next year and see if anything happens in 2024 mechanically. I doubt it will, but we'll see.
Old 12-19-23, 05:44 PM
TangoRed
Lead Lap

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

I feel like the worst that could happen would be needing new engine mounts or transmission conductor plate.

Quick Reply: General Car Conversation