Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

General Car Conversation

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-23, 10:00 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

saw this today on FB
Old 12-25-23, 11:42 PM
link13
Lead Lap

Received 46 Likes on 40 Posts

I hope you lot all enjoyed Christmas if you celebrate it. One neat thing in the German American club I am involved in is some of the OGs (original Germans) have some one owner cars that are immaculate. Two 912s showed up two weeks ago parked side by each. I did walk around them. They smelled like fuel. I saw the two guys in the club and instantly knew the 912s are theirs. My friend Heinz knew the owners.
Old 12-26-23, 05:47 AM
Margate330
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,007 Likes on 802 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill

saw this today on FB
I like it.
Looks like 1960's and still looks good.

Originally Posted by link13
I hope you lot all enjoyed Christmas if you celebrate it. One neat thing in the German American club I am involved in is some of the OGs (original Germans) have some one owner cars that are immaculate. Two 912s showed up two weeks ago parked side by each. I did walk around them. They smelled like fuel. I saw the two guys in the club and instantly knew the 912s are theirs. My friend Heinz knew the owners.
I don't know anything about the 912 so I had to look it up and drop a pic, just for fun.

>> Smooth Operator, James Bond level cool...

Old 12-26-23, 07:17 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Margate330
I like it.
Looks like 1960's and still looks good.
‘Plus it has a.6.3 litre V8. I never knew MB had those size engines back then.
Old 12-26-23, 08:04 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,741 Likes on 1,962 Posts

Originally Posted by AJT123
This is not intended to start a debate, it's not a shot, but I couldn't even begin to imagine dealing with finding chargers and waiting for charging on long trips.
Yeah this is the issue. With that said I would never drive a trip that far, 6 hours or so is my max then I will fly. We're leaving for Albany by way of NJ tomorrow, driving to NJ, staying there until Friday and driving to Albany. Breaking the trip up like that I could just charge at my sister in law's in NJ overnight and continue on to Albany on one charge. Driving straight through to Albany though like we usually do and will coming back would probably require two charging stops of 35 minutes each. Definitely don't want to stretch an already 6.5 hour drive into almost 8 hours.

Going to Albany, like going to WV, I go through PA as opposed to going up 95 and charging would be much harder than it would be on 95.

In any event, this is just metal math quite frankly I don't want to do at all lol. So, I see me getting an EV at somepoint if not to replace the S560 to replace whatever replaces it, but it will be a very long time before the car we primarily travel in (the Pacifica) is replaced with a full EV, or until you can pull off really any exit and charge, even if that charge takes 30 min.
Old 12-26-23, 08:13 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by SW17LS
Yeah this is the issue. With that said I would never drive a trip that far, 6 hours or so is my max then I will fly. We're leaving for Albany by way of NJ tomorrow, driving to NJ, staying there until Friday and driving to Albany. Breaking the trip up like that I could just charge at my sister in law's in NJ overnight and continue on to Albany on one charge. Driving straight through to Albany though like we usually do and will coming back would probably require two charging stops of 35 minutes each. Definitely don't want to stretch an already 6.5 hour drive into almost 8 hours.

Going to Albany, like going to WV, I go through PA as opposed to going up 95 and charging would be much harder than it would be on 95.

In any event, this is just metal math quite frankly I don't want to do at all lol. So, I see me getting an EV at somepoint if not to replace the S560 to replace whatever replaces it, but it will be a very long time before the car we primarily travel in (the Pacifica) is replaced with a full EV, or until you can pull off really any exit and charge, even if that charge takes 30 min.
32miles of EV range is not worth the charging time on a long trip.

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 12-26-23 at 08:19 AM.
Old 12-26-23, 08:23 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

32miles of EV range is not worth the charging time on a long trip.
I wouldn't stop and charge the Pacifica, I'm talking about if you were driving a real EV with 300 miles of range, to go to Albany which is about 400 miles you would have to stop at least once, perhaps twice especially in the winter

I don't even bother charging the Pacifica overnight at peoples houses when traveling, I just drive it like a gas car
Old 12-26-23, 08:24 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

I wouldn't stop and charge the Pacifica, I'm talking about if you were driving a real EV with 300 miles of range, to go to Albany which is about 400 miles you would have to stop at least once, perhaps twice especially in the winter
To me, that would be a hassle.
Old 12-26-23, 08:26 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

To me, that would be a hassle.
Unquestionably its a hassle, one stop for 35 minutes is fine, we get out, go to the bathroom, get something to eat, stretch our legs, walk the dog, if we can do all of that where the charger is. Two I don't want to do.
Old 12-26-23, 08:37 AM
Stroock639
Lexus Test Driver

Received 241 Likes on 182 Posts

‘Plus it has a.6.3 litre V8. I never knew MB had those size engines back then.
that car, in a sense, is almost the prototype AMG model! that 6.3 V8 (M100) was originally designed for the 600 grosser model

but some mercedes engineers thought oooh yaa... vwhat if ve put zat in ze 300 model! and thus '6.3' became a historic mercedes number
Old 12-26-23, 08:44 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Unquestionably its a hassle, one stop for 35 minutes is fine, we get out, go to the bathroom, get something to eat, stretch our legs, walk the dog, if we can do all of that where the charger is. Two I don't want to do.
‘A debate like this could go on forever. Up here on the 401, we have something called on ONroute. On weekend travel, the places are unbelievably busy. Line up for gas, line up for food, line up for washrooms sometimes. So we have learned that on weekend travel, we never stop. We always pass it and we stop and the next exit and get off the highway and do our business. It is all about convenience I guess Paying for gas just free’s you up.
Old 12-26-23, 09:08 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

‘A debate like this could go on forever. Up here on the 401, we have something called on ONroute. On weekend travel, the places are unbelievably busy. Line up for gas, line up for food, line up for washrooms sometimes. So we have learned that on weekend travel, we never stop. We always pass it and we stop and the next exit and get off the highway and do our business. It is all about convenience I guess Paying for gas just free’s you up.
Same is true along major roadways along 95 for instance, you have big travel centers that get really busy. I tend to avoid those routes in general, or I stop at exits with freestanding gas stations and fast food etc. When I travel to WV or through PA going to Albany there is nothing like that.

Theres nothing wrong with plazas like that, I just like to stay on the road, get food and eat it in the car etc. You don't have kids though, stopping for 30 minutes when you have kids and a dog etc is not a bad thing. It takes 30 minutes just to get everybody to pee...

When I was younger I would just drive 5 hours straight through ti WV alone and not stop at all, not even for gas. I can't go that long without peeing anymore though lol
Old 12-26-23, 09:11 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Same is true along major roadways along 95 for instance, you have big travel centers that get really busy. I tend to avoid those routes in general, or I stop at exits with freestanding gas stations and fast food etc. When I travel to WV or through PA going to Albany there is nothing like that.

Theres nothing wrong with plazas like that, I just like to stay on the road, get food and eat it in the car etc. You don't have kids though, stopping for 30 minutes when you have kids and a dog etc is not a bad thing. It takes 30 minutes just to get everybody to pee...

When I was younger I would just drive 5 hours straight through ti WV alone and not stop at all, not even for gas. I can't go that long without peeing anymore though lol
Don’t kid yourself, I get that. I was just speaking more from a perspective of driving alone or with a significant other who are past all that in age and priorities. There are so much different circumstances in that the change is not so easy for some many folks.
Old 12-26-23, 09:14 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Don’t kid yourself, I get that. I was just speaking more from a perspective of driving alone or with a significant other who are past all that in age and priorities. There are so much different circumstances in that the change is not so easy for some many folks.
No question, when traveling its different. When I'm alone now I do stop to pee and grab a drink or something to eat, but I am stopped for 5-10 min, not 35 min. The added issue is the chargers don't necessarily have other services around, a lot of times they are in big parking lots and its a walk to any fast food or even bathrooms. That will improve because as more and more people have EVs thats a huge moneymaker. You have a captive audience to sell whatever you want to
Old 12-26-23, 12:57 PM
Stroock639
Lexus Test Driver

Received 241 Likes on 182 Posts

Originally Posted by BrettJacks
Pic is a little blurry from trying to hold my phone steady at speed.

oh man i just love how those desert highways look... it's no wonder Koenigsegg chose a closed down section of nevada highway to hit 280+ mph in the Agera RS

if i lived out there i'd have tuned the benz by now since the 155 mph limiter would genuinely become a hindrance lol

Quick Reply: General Car Conversation