Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

General Car Conversation

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-23, 10:53 AM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

Received 1,226 Likes on 911 Posts

Originally Posted by SW17LS
They would be the very earliest MBs with the 48v system then, which as I said has teething pains.

I take care of my stuff, including my tools. I see no reason why anybody should not change their car's oil when it is time.
Yes it's indeed those, very surprising still since they are so difficult to service.

Agreed there, even my old beater Jeep gets stuff in time. Probably why it's never failed....
Old 12-27-23, 11:18 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,741 Likes on 1,962 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
I don’t exactly look at it like that. Sure, there is an absence of a starter, alternator and belts, so it might appear less complex…but replacing a starter, alternator and belts is a pretty straightforward task. I just don’t see a 48V repair as being as simple. Tundra/Sequoia hybrid still has a starter as well as the integrated starter too,(I know they are not mild)
But repairs of the 48v system are way less common
Old 12-27-23, 11:34 AM
FrankReynoldsCPA
Lexus Test Driver

Received 95 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by link13
I had a coworker years ago with a 5 series and start/stop would have required the driver to disable it via on board electronics. My brother had a Panamera for a while and it also did not “remember” that he disabled it. You have to disable it every time you drive the car from a new start up if that makes sense. The fuel savings in the Panamera were probably not worth the development work on the “feature.” Bigger issue with the Panamera was that it was very oil thirsty. Porsche said it was normal/expected.
My 5 series has a button to disable it, and it's persistent. One of the benefits of buying one made prior to March 2018. Cars made after that reset that setting each trip.

Originally Posted by AJT123
The big deal is that trucks are like tools, you're hard AF on them a lot of the time. OP changes oil 15k miles on a 230k mile truck, no trouble he's mentioned. Sounds like he works his Tundra and the 5.7 absolutely to death.

I said I liked the Ecoboost and I'd love to drive one again, I don't hate it at all. But I wouldn't buy one with 100k on it, or any turbo engine.

Long term reliability though this new stuff versus the old indestructible V8? Ehhhh...
​​​​​ I've been on Ford forums for over 15 years. There was a lot of fear of this when the Ecoboost came out and there has always been the occasional post expressing the same fear. But the record has shown that the ecoboost does hold up just fine. They've been on the market for 14 years. The few common issues aren't related to displacement or boost.

​​​​​This fear is based entirely on hypothetical expectations.
Old 12-27-23, 11:44 AM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

But repairs of the 48v system are way less common
Well duh, most are too new to fail. Can't repair what hasn't broken yet.....based on what I'm seeing with Audi and Mercedes there will be PLENTY of stuff to fix in a few years with the 48v systems and it's so much more expensive. Great for me!
Old 12-27-23, 12:08 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,741 Likes on 1,962 Posts

Originally Posted by Striker223
Well duh, most are too new to fail. Can't repair what hasn't broken yet.....based on what I'm seeing with Audi and Mercedes there will be PLENTY of stuff to fix in a few years with the 48v systems and it's so much more expensive. Great for me!
I think you will find that as they age the 48v systems are plenty reliable. Hybrid systems are very reliable.
Old 12-27-23, 12:26 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

I think you will find that as they age the 48v systems are plenty reliable. Hybrid systems are very reliable.
Out of curiosity. Some mild hybrids have belts and starters and alternators. The first start of a 48V 340i is from pinion starter motor. Toyota is like this too.

this is pretty complicated. BMW 340i

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 12-27-23 at 12:33 PM.
Old 12-27-23, 12:51 PM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

Out of curiosity. Some mild hybrids have belts and starters and alternators. The first start of a 48V 340i is from pinion starter motor. Toyota is like this too.

this is pretty complicated. BMW 340i
And those break a lot, the only one that doesn't much is the Toyota/Lex hybrids but when they do it's very pricy. Mostly battery failures though
Old 12-27-23, 01:08 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Striker223
And those break a lot, the only one that doesn't much is the Toyota/Lex hybrids but when they do it's very pricy. Mostly battery failures though
I am just looking on BMW. Here is a mild hybrid.

‘all it takes is a leak here. We lose power steering fluid but gain a new fluid.
Old 12-27-23, 02:41 PM
geko29
Super Moderator

Received 303 Likes on 233 Posts

I am just looking on BMW. Here is a mild hybrid.
‘all it takes is a leak here. We lose power steering fluid but gain a new fluid.
Mercedes has had water-cooled alternators for 20 years. They're expensive, but they rarely fail. And it's not a new fluid, just one more item in the existing loop.

I don't recall you raising this much concern when Toyota decided the best place to route hot oil under pressure was outside the block through a pair of rubber hoses.

Last edited by geko29; 12-27-23 at 02:46 PM.
Old 12-27-23, 02:49 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by geko29

I don't recall you raising this much concern when Toyota decided the best place to route hot oil under pressure was outside the block through a pair of rubber hoses.
What engine? I want to read about it
Old 12-27-23, 02:51 PM
TangoRed
Lead Lap

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by link13
I had a coworker years ago with a 5 series and start/stop would have required the driver to disable it via on board electronics. My brother had a Panamera for a while and it also did not “remember” that he disabled it. You have to disable it every time you drive the car from a new start up if that makes sense. The fuel savings in the Panamera were probably not worth the development work on the “feature.” Bigger issue with the Panamera was that it was very oil thirsty. Porsche said it was normal/expected.
Panameras really do like to drink oil. It’s just part of the ownership experience.
Old 12-27-23, 02:55 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 139 Likes on 113 Posts

Originally Posted by BrettJacks
My 5 series has a button to disable it, and it's persistent. One of the benefits of buying one made prior to March 2018. Cars made after that reset that setting each trip.

​​​​​ I've been on Ford forums for over 15 years. There was a lot of fear of this when the Ecoboost came out and there has always been the occasional post expressing the same fear. But the record has shown that the ecoboost does hold up just fine. They've been on the market for 14 years. The few common issues aren't related to displacement or boost.

​​​​​This fear is based entirely on hypothetical expectations.
My 5 Series is a 2019 and as you said, if you use the auto start/stop it has be reset each time the car is restarted. It's the same with our 2024 X3. It doesn't effect me though as I keep it on in both cars all the time and don't give it second thought. The systems in both vehicles have been improved and even without being mild hybrids are barely noticeable.
Old 12-27-23, 03:00 PM
geko29
Super Moderator

Received 303 Likes on 233 Posts

What engine? I want to read about it
The 2GR-FE 3.5L V6. I replaced mine preventatively with a revised part consisting of corrugated steel pipes (still a dumb design, but less likely to fail), which cost me about $400 for parts and labor. Tried to do it myself, but the fasteners were in a really bad spot and I didn't have the right tools. Unfortunately, some forum members weren't so lucky. When the hoses fail, they empty the contents of the oil pan onto the ground in less than 15 seconds.
Old 12-27-23, 03:20 PM
FrankReynoldsCPA
Lexus Test Driver

Received 95 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by LexBob2
My 5 Series is a 2019 and as you said, if you use the auto start/stop it has be reset each time the car is restarted. It's the same with our 2024 X3. It doesn't effect me though as I keep it on in both cars all the time and don't give it second thought. The systems in both vehicles have been improved and even without being mild hybrids are barely noticeable.
Yeah, i generally leave it on. I haven't found it very disruptive, though it doesn't actually shut off that often in my driving. It's 10 miles to my office and that's mostly freeway.
Old 12-27-23, 03:37 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

I don't recall you raising this much concern when Toyota decided
BTW. I am not bashing BMW. Just looking and doing research realizing that the mild hybrids aren’t less sophisticated or complicated vs a gas only engine

Mercedes has had water-cooled alternators for 20 years. They're expensive, but they rarely fail. And it's not a new fluid, just one more item in the existing loop.
for Tundra, or Sequoia it would an additional fluid for the hybrid. It would be separate from the main rad. Added complexity to the BMW as there would be no such design if there were mild hybrid parts

The 2GR-FE 3.5L V6. I replaced mine preventatively with a revised part consisting of corrugated steel pipes (still a dumb design, but less likely to fail), which cost me about $400 for parts and labor. Tried to do it myself, but the fasteners were in a really bad spot and I didn't have the right tools. Unfortunately, some forum members weren't so lucky. When the hoses fail, they empty the contents of the oil pan onto the ground in less than 15 seconds.
‘Is this what you are referring to?

i wonder if my 1GR is like that design

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 12-27-23 at 03:52 PM.

Quick Reply: General Car Conversation