Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

General Car Conversation

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-23, 07:50 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by SW17LS
True Toyota toughness as long as it not one of the Toyota engines that are very sensitive to maintenance like I mentioned earlier.
Those were design flaws. No room for lack of maintenance

and how much service does the 5.7 engine need? Spark plugs, air filter. Oil. The power steering is a bigger concern imo.

Originally Posted by BayeauxLex

I will take a little less tech over reliability.
I agree with. I like knowing my 4.7 has no VVT. But at the same time, I’m thrilled my 1GR has a chain instead of a belt.

Apparently my 1GR is used in the 70 series Land Cruiser. With manual. I never knew.

something else I didnt know till tonight. Was that Toyota offered a naturally aspirated 2.7 I4 with full time 4WD. I think Tacoma and 4Runner had this engine @AJT123. I would rather have this basic engine with full time 4WD over the new 2.4 with turbo and hybrid with full time 4WD

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 12-28-23 at 10:15 PM.
Old 12-28-23, 07:55 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

True Toyota toughness as long as it not one of the Toyota engines that are very sensitive to maintenance like I mentioned earlier.

As far as maintenance-sensitivity is concerned, I think Toyota learned a few things from the notorious 3.0L V6 and the oil-sludge problems if the oil wasn't changed exactly by the book. They cut corners on that engine by designing too-small oil-passages to try and make the engine run hot to burn up the emissions. It worked from an emissions POV...but, of course, cooked the oil prematurely.
Old 12-28-23, 09:17 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by AJT123
Sure, but....who cares? I think it's already aced the class. 230k miles towing very heavy loads with 15k OCIs, he doesn't check fluids regularly, etc. etc. Still going. Not slowing down. Never changed the transmission fluid, etc. That's the true Toyota toughness for ya. I don't think the 3.4tt would still have rods at this phase personally under the same (crazy hard) use, age, and 230k miles.

Plus you don't keep your cars anyway. None of this matters in the slightest. You get to enjoy all the newest and the best. Or, you get to see if the newest and the best turns into crap.

LX570 is for sure behind etc etc but there's something about them, and/or 200s in general. I know exactly what he means when he says he doesn't want to sell it.

The graphics are so dated but damn if the V8 isn't fun, today I was being driven around (I'm driver 99% of the time) and having my head thrown back into the seat repeatedly all while listening to glorious V8 sounds and feeling the solidity of the truck. Lol it's just such a friggin' tank. Owners all get it.

I guess 200s are rare around here but the family loves it, one of my cousins in a GM engineer (drives a sweet Silverado) and was fascinated with it, had all kinds of AHC questions for me.
Life was so much better when Toyota had not one but two V8s in their trucks and land cruisers. Plus a V8 diesel too.
Old 12-28-23, 11:03 PM
BayeauxLex
Instructor

Received 192 Likes on 163 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill

I doubt your 5.7 will just blow like that. But 227K is quite a bit of miles.
I have that feeling if something happens my reaction would be “it was time” as it is approaching 16yrs old. I don’t daily it. Nowadays it’s mainly used for hauling, towing and in bad weather lol.

I would feel the same, but I have no doubt that your Tundra is even close to being done... not even close.

I've had good luck with GM, GM trucks especially in my life. I'm absolutely aware, though, that many have problems. Nothing is like an LX570. It's all that efficiency crap, 35 speed transmissions, etc. etc. that pulls other brands down. There's a '22 Yukon Denali in my family that's been flawless, and the last Yukon before that lasted twenty years and was still going fine when donated. If the new one turns out to have problems and/or be a disappointment I'll report it on here.

What makes 5.7 engine so desirable and just a brick is that the best "tech" it has is 25 year old oil actuated VVTI. 5.7 has zero fuel economy bullshyyt. Not even direct injection BS, carbon buildup to think about. You can absolutely beat the snot out of it, we do ours too but just with regular driving and off roading. Not quite like you though haha. But I love knowing I can just kill it and it will take the abuse. LX570 is even stouter than a Tundra IMO at least. It weighs just as much or more. They cut the trans cooler out of the later Tundras but all LX570s have them.

Agree, our 2014 LX has 130k. Like I said, that mileage on that vehicle and that V8 powertrain worries me about as much as a rain storm. It's been flawless, except the ball and chain fried the alternator jumping it once lol. I say the graphics are so dated, and they are, but I bet that screen works fine for the next 20+ years.

Oh wow I wasn’t aware the LX has a trans cooler. Sweet!! When I towed my car, I was impressed. The towing experience was almost as good as the Tundra. I just picked up a 2018 Tundra…the last year of the trans cooler. One thing I’ve added is an aftermarket CarPlay radio. IMO it was easier to add an aftermarket radio than it would’ve been to add a trans cooler to a Tundra without one from the factory.

Once I got my first taste of Apple CarPlay, I want it in every vehicle. I’m adding Apple CarPlay to a 3rd gen Prius this weekend.
Old 12-29-23, 04:00 AM
Margate330
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,007 Likes on 802 Posts

I have that feeling if something happens my reaction would be “it was time” as it is approaching 16yrs old. I don’t daily it. Nowadays it’s mainly used for hauling, towing and in bad weather lol....

Oh wow I wasn’t aware the LX has a trans cooler. Sweet!! When I towed my car, I was impressed. ...
​​​Hi @BayeauxLex .

I would expect your truck to have much more life left, especially if the engine is gone thru and touched up on everything it would need to be a daily driver.

Also, being a high end BOF sub, I would expect it to have a trans cooler automatically since all the good ones should have them.
Old 12-29-23, 04:06 AM
geko29
Super Moderator

Received 303 Likes on 233 Posts

Out of curiosity, as per the turbos, it would interesting to see how a Toyota Supra in the 1980s was packaged. My guess is that they were packaged with a higher degree of complexity just like a modern Toyota.
Being a straight six, the best place for the turbos is beside the engine, so that's where Toyota put them. Since an I6 is dramatically narrower than a V6 or V8, there was still plenty of room to get at them.
Old 12-29-23, 06:13 AM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Received 219 Likes on 184 Posts

I have that feeling if something happens my reaction would be “it was time” as it is approaching 16yrs old. I don’t daily it. Nowadays it’s mainly used for hauling, towing and in bad weather lol.

Oh wow I wasn’t aware the LX has a trans cooler. Sweet!! When I towed my car, I was impressed.

Once I got my first taste of Apple CarPlay, I want it in every vehicle. I’m adding Apple CarPlay to a 3rd gen Prius this weekend.
Oh yeah, LX570 is as tough or tougher than any Tundra, but no it won't tow as much as it's not a literal pickup truck.

Have you checked out the AHC protection for the globes specifically? Easy to do. The protection for it, literally looks almost as thick as jail bars.
Old 12-29-23, 06:49 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,741 Likes on 1,962 Posts

Those were design flaws. No room for lack of maintenance

and how much service does the 5.7 engine need? Spark plugs, air filter. Oil. The power steering is a bigger concern imo.
I just don’t buy into the idea that something failing because of lack of maintenance is a design flaw. I have one of those engines with 225k miles on it. Why? Because I changed the oil as per the manufacturers recommendations as I do on every car.

Just change the oil on time

Originally Posted by mmarshall
As far as maintenance-sensitivity is concerned, I think Toyota learned a few things from the notorious 3.0L V6 and the oil-sludge problems if the oil wasn't changed exactly by the book. They cut corners on that engine by designing too-small oil-passages to try and make the engine run hot to burn up the emissions. It worked from an emissions POV...but, of course, cooked the oil prematurely.
But then the UR V8 which was designed many years after may actually develop oil use if the oil is not changed EARLIER than the factory requirements. THATS a design flaw. Having an engine that needs the oil changed when they say it does isn’t a design flaw.
Old 12-29-23, 07:33 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

I just don’t buy into the idea that something failing because of lack of maintenance is a design flaw. I have one of those engines with 225k miles on it. Why? Because I changed the oil as per the manufacturers recommendations as I do on every car.

But then the UR V8 which was designed many years after may actually develop oil use if the oil is not changed EARLIER than the factory requirements. THATS a design flaw. Having an engine that needs the oil changed when they say it does isn’t a design flaw.
I don’t agree with. Toyota had been making engines for many years, but the 3.0 had a sludge problem that Toyota blamed the problem on not changing the oil as frequently, but it’s obvious the issue was with the design of the engine or the engine was built wirh defective parts at assembly. Many owners were changing the oil as required but the sludge problem would sometimes show up under warranty. So Toyota admits fault indirectly but settling with a class action lawsuit.

Below is what non Toyota people say is the cause.

Originally Posted by geko29
Being a straight six, the best place for the turbos is beside the engine, so that's where Toyota put them. Since an I6 is dramatically narrower than a V6 or V8, there was still plenty of room to get at them.
The reference was more about packaging. Compared to many other cars at the time, that Supra was more complicated to repair than something that was a non turbo. Especially compared to a domestic. Toyota also had adaptive variable suspension in 1980s Supra, so inherently it wou;d have been more complicated to work on. Throw in a timing belt as well

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 12-29-23 at 07:55 AM.
Old 12-29-23, 08:14 AM
geko29
Super Moderator

Received 303 Likes on 233 Posts

The reference was more about packaging. Compared to many other cars at the time, that Supra was more complicated to repair than something that was a non turbo. Especially compared to a domestic. Toyota also had adaptive variable suspension in 1980s Supra, so inherently it wou;d have been more complicated to work on. Throw in a timing belt as well
Packaging is about where things are and how easy they are to access. Not necessarily how many things there are, though obviously that can contribute to poor accessibility.

The discussion that led to this was about the packaging of German hot-vee turbo setups, where the turbos are on top and easy to access; vs. the Tundra's configuration, where the turbos are crammed in between the back of the engine and the firewall, requiring the entire engine/transmission to be removed from the vehicle for service.

In that regard, the Supra's packaging is far superior to their more recent efforts, as it is much easier to work on all components of the engine with it still in the vehicle. Even the timing belt. While yes, it has one, it's right up front and very easy to replace.
Old 12-29-23, 08:53 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

@SW17LS Did you post this yet? I like the front end look of this

Originally Posted by geko29
Packaging is about where things are and how easy they are to access. Not necessarily how many things there are, though obviously that can contribute to poor accessibility.

The discussion that led to this was about the packaging of German hot-vee turbo setups, where the turbos are on top and easy to access; vs. the Tundra's configuration, where the turbos are crammed in between the back of the engine and the firewall, requiring the entire engine/transmission to be removed from the vehicle for service.

In that regard, the Supra's packaging is far superior to their more recent efforts, as it is much easier to work on all components of the engine with it still in the vehicle. Even the timing belt. While yes, it has one, it's right up front and very easy to replace.
The discussion was that Toyota doesnt do packaging well which it was perceived they do. My own 2UZ motor requires the motor to be removed for a front cat replacement, so older toyotas were just a time consuming as newer models. . The hot vee comment was a good point, but there are many examples where engines need to be removed in German cars for repairs. The Supra I used as an example was to show that with all that tech, it just creates more labour especially compared to the domestics at that time. Would love to see the Toyota spec instructions on the turbo replacement for the tundra.

how many hot vee V6 engines are there out there?

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 12-29-23 at 09:17 AM.
Old 12-29-23, 09:19 AM
BayeauxLex
Instructor

Received 192 Likes on 163 Posts

Originally Posted by Margate330
​​​Hi @BayeauxLex .

I would expect your truck to have much more life left, especially if the engine is gone thru and touched up on everything it would need to be a daily driver.

Also, being a high end BOF sub, I would expect it to have a trans cooler automatically since all the good ones should have them.
Oh yeah, LX570 is as tough or tougher than any Tundra, but no it won't tow as much as it's not a literal pickup truck.

Have you checked out the AHC protection for the globes specifically? Easy to do. The protection for it, literally looks almost as thick as jail bars.
Not sure what you mean. The AHC has been serviced by dealer. The last pic I posted above of the speedometer is me towing my car with the LX. It was very smooth and loved how it levels the load.

On the Tundra I want to say I’ve gone 2x around 15k miles between oil changes. Every other time it’s around every 10k miles. I change the oil myself in the Tundra but I take the LX to the dealer. Part of reason is because they give it a free hand car wash and vacuum the inside. Actually I take the LX to the Lexus dealer every week for free complimentary hand car wash. I haven’t washed it myself in years and it’s never seen an automatic car wash. Only maintenance I personally do myself on the LX is brakes and filters. Everything else I let the dealer handle.
Old 12-29-23, 09:22 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

I don’t agree with. Toyota had been making engines for many years, but the 3.0 had a sludge problem that Toyota blamed the problem on not changing the oil as frequently, but it’s obvious the issue was with the design of the engine or the engine was built wirh defective parts at assembly. Many owners were changing the oil as required but the sludge problem would sometimes show up under warranty. So Toyota admits fault indirectly but settling with a class action lawsuit.
I agree that engine had design issues that contributed to those problems, but I just don't think a vehicle needing to be serviced according to a specific schedule is an issue.
Old 12-29-23, 09:24 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

https://youtu.be/WA2kF1oZb14?si=tkdU3UFmPOgYirHz

@SW17LS Did you post this yet? I like the front end look of this
I haven't seen that yet, I will check it out!

I don't think it looks like an S Class in front, it needs the hood ornament and traditional grille IMO
Old 12-29-23, 11:18 AM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Received 219 Likes on 184 Posts

LX570 comfort tricks, glorious. This is such a great road trip vehicle.

Center console:

Now see below, it adjusts wayyyyy out. Lovvvvve it:

So comfy. Also the cooler beneath the console works great. I’m bringing down the good white American cheese down to Knox lol it’s going to good use. Food is just better up there.

Last edited by AJT123; 12-29-23 at 11:22 AM.

Quick Reply: General Car Conversation