Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

General Car Conversation

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-23, 11:43 AM
patgilm
Lead Lap

Received 294 Likes on 210 Posts

Originally Posted by AJT123
LX570 comfort tricks, glorious. This is such a great road trip vehicle.

Center console:

Now see below, it adjusts wayyyyy out. Lovvvvve it:

So comfy. Also the cooler beneath the console works great. I’m bringing down the good white American cheese down to Knox lol it’s going to good use. Food is just better up there.
Not just the center console but even the center stack I've always really like those years. I thought it looked pretty luxurious and functioned very well.
Old 12-29-23, 02:02 PM
geko29
Super Moderator

Received 303 Likes on 233 Posts

Our Q7’s armrest extends like that, and also adjusts up and down.
Old 12-29-23, 02:12 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

OK, Folks....here's a piece of Trivia for you:

What small detail in that picture above instantly identifies it as a Toyota/Lexus interior? No other auto company that I know of does it.
Old 12-29-23, 03:23 PM
FrankReynoldsCPA
Lexus Test Driver

Received 95 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall

What small detail in that picture above instantly identifies it as a Toyota/Lexus interior? No other auto company that I know of does it.
For starters the transmission mode switch (power/ect).
​​​​​​
The whole picture says Toyota/Lexus though. That's definitely their design language throughout the console and center stack.
Old 12-29-23, 04:35 PM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Received 219 Likes on 184 Posts

Handbrake? @mmarshall

Handbrake wrapped in leather?

Lovely to drive at night. 5 hours to go.

Old 12-29-23, 04:40 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Handbrake? @mmarshall

Nope......not the handbrake.
Old 12-29-23, 04:57 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by SW17LS
I agree that engine had design issues that contributed to those problems, but I just don't think a vehicle needing to be serviced according to a specific schedule is an issue.
I would agree. But even those owners following the service schedule still had the issue. Definitely a design flaw or manufacturing error. Apparently had to do,with heat
Originally Posted by SW17LS
I haven't seen that yet, I will check it out!

I don't think it looks like an S Class in front, it needs the hood ornament and traditional grille IMO
I think MB had a few amg S class models without the hood ornament

Handbrake? @mmarshall

Lovely to drive at night. 5 hours to go.

amazing dash pics. Your 5.7 just effortlessly goes coupled with full time 4WD I love it…….. I also really like the temp button and how conveniently it’s placed. (Even though I never used AUTO)

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 12-29-23 at 05:06 PM.
Old 12-29-23, 05:07 PM
BayeauxLex
Instructor

Received 192 Likes on 163 Posts

Center console:

So comfy. Also the cooler beneath the console works great. I’m bringing down the good white American cheese down to Knox lol it’s going to good use. Food is just better up there.
The armrest on my 08 Tundra extends like such.

LX is a great road trip vehicle but I will raise you one. The LS460 is the best road trip vehicle I’ve ever had. AMAZINGLY Comfortable!! On 2 of the road trips we take, setting the cruise on 81-82mph and it never dropped out of 8th gear. On the same drive the Tundra and LX will downshift a gear on some of the steepest inclines at the same speed with the cruise set. Usually in the Tundra and LX whenever it downshift, I disable cruise and take over.
Old 12-29-23, 05:10 PM
BayeauxLex
Instructor

Received 192 Likes on 163 Posts

Center console:

My guess was the cd player. My 2018 Tundra has one.
Old 12-29-23, 05:14 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

No, it's not the player.

OK.....I'll spill the beans. Toyota/Lexus is the only automaker I know of that uses green and orange colors for Neutral and Reverse on the shifter. It's easy to tell them from any other shifters....that color-coding on Toyota shifters goes back at least 30 or 40 years, maybe longer.

Last edited by mmarshall; 12-29-23 at 05:20 PM.
Old 12-29-23, 05:16 PM
Margate330
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,007 Likes on 802 Posts

I have nothing. Lol

All I know is it has that Japaneesy Toyota flavor to the styling.

I wouldn't be able to tell the mfg though.
Old 12-29-23, 06:41 PM
FrankReynoldsCPA
Lexus Test Driver

Received 95 Likes on 67 Posts

One annoying thing about the interior in my truck is that it was a Canadian market truck that was later imported to the US. The importers apparently keep the Canadian market cluster unit, but replace the faces. Whoever did mine didn't properly adhere the imperial face and caused it to bubble. It happened pretty quickly after I bought it 6 years ago. Hasn't expanded or progressed any further. It's an annoyance but I've never gotten around to spending the $$ to have it fixed. I hardly even notice it anymore.

Old 12-29-23, 07:08 PM
geko29
Super Moderator

Received 303 Likes on 233 Posts

Handbrake?

My lowly 323i--literally one-quarter the price of the contemporary LX--had a handbrake wrapped in (real) leather.
Old 12-29-23, 07:28 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by geko29
My lowly 323i--literally one-quarter the price of the contemporary LX--had a handbrake wrapped in (real) leather.
Toyota did move the LX to an automated e brake in the 2016 refresh 3.0. Kaizen Land Cruiser 3.0 left the handbrake. I would prefer the hand brake if given the choice

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 12-29-23 at 07:46 PM.
Old 12-29-23, 09:42 PM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Received 219 Likes on 184 Posts

No, it's not the player.

OK.....I'll spill the beans. Toyota/Lexus is the only automaker I know of that uses green and orange colors for Neutral and Reverse on the shifter. It's easy to tell them from any other shifters....that color-coding on Toyota shifters goes back at least 30 or 40 years, maybe longer.
Gotta hand it to ya, Mike. I would NEVER have figured that out. Great trivia, I'm a total fact nerd---especially stuff I'm passionate about. Thanks for this. I will look in every vehicle from now on.

Originally Posted by geko29
Oh I can picture your old car and the actual handbrake, but I thought Mike was asking what's there that's in no new car. My next guess was going to be a ML logo. Only Lexus uses Mark Levinson that I'm aware of. Great stereo for road trips also.

Originally Posted by BayeauxLex
The armrest on my 08 Tundra extends like such.

LX is a great road trip vehicle but I will raise you one. The LS460 is the best road trip vehicle I’ve ever had. AMAZINGLY Comfortable!! On 2 of the road trips we take, setting the cruise on 81-82mph and it never dropped out of 8th gear. On the same drive the Tundra and LX will downshift a gear on some of the steepest inclines at the same speed with the cruise set. Usually in the Tundra and LX whenever it downshift, I disable cruise and take over.
I also own an LS430, trust me I get it. As great as the LXs ride is it don't track like no LS430 on the freeway, lol.

It wins the "best road trip car" for me/us because it's so safe and huge. I had a jackass trucker 18 wheeler tailing me like X-mas vacation style (car length) when I was going 80MPH, didn't make me nervous at all, I almost brake checked his ***. Trucks don't intimidate you in an LX. Nothing does, it started to snow on the way home and it was close to freezing temp.. no vehicle on earth I'd rather be in than DJ (his name). Including that year old Denali with 25k on it. I really like the FT4WD when conditions turn crappy like that, Jill ain't wrong preaching about its advantages all the time.

The pickup at higher speeds really surprises me in a great way. I did a pull and will try to upload it. I know some of you own insanely fast cars... but for a big BOF hauler it always feels abundantly powerful, plennnnty of reserve. Greatttt gearing, and as you can see....it sure wrings the gears out all the way to redline.

Last edited by AJT123; 12-29-23 at 09:51 PM.

Quick Reply: General Car Conversation