Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

General Car Conversation

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-23, 09:47 PM
patgilm
Lead Lap

Received 294 Likes on 210 Posts

AJT and Striker - I got a good one for you two since you have had a couple issues with your cars recently that l laughed at but now I got one that’s better. The door handle of my Model S stopped working tonight so I couldn’t get in the car so I had to get in the passenger side door and climb over the center console to drive tonight. Karma is a B.

Lucky for me I already have an appointment for an error message that popped up last week regarding the passenger airbag that I have to take it in for Tuesday so I guess I’ll add this to the list. Such a POS.
Old 12-29-23, 09:57 PM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Received 219 Likes on 184 Posts

Originally Posted by patgilm
AJT and Striker - I got a good one for you two since you have had a couple issues with your cars recently that l laughed at but now I got one that’s better. The door handle of my Model S stopped working tonight so I couldn’t get in the car so I had to get in the passenger side door and climb over the center console to drive tonight. Karma is a B.
LOLLL... That's pretty walk-of-shamey.... haha. Lol what did you laugh at that I posted, just curious?

Lucky for me I already have an appointment for an error message that popped up last week regarding the passenger airbag that I have to take it in for Tuesday so I guess I’ll add this to the list. Such a POS.
Sorry you're having trouble.... again not a shot not a debate on EVs but I couldn't imagine dealing with charging on trips like we've just been on. If I bought an EV I'd just have to keep an ICE car, no problem at all. Imagine an emergency, a death, and you have to get the hell 700 miles away ASAP.
Old 12-29-23, 10:00 PM
patgilm
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by AJT123
LOLLL... That's pretty walk-of-shamey.... haha. Lol what did you laugh at that I posted, just curious?
Didn’t you say recently that you were pumping gas but it kept shutting off and it was so cold that you were sitting in the back seat while holding the gas nozzle and pumping gas?
Old 12-29-23, 10:05 PM
FrankReynoldsCPA
Lexus Test Driver

Received 95 Likes on 67 Posts

Occasionally, despite my efforts to park away from other cars, I'll come out and find somebody parked close enough to my driver side that I can't open the door wide enough to get in. Luckily my truck has the bench seat so it's more trivial to climb in through the passenger side.
Old 12-29-23, 10:17 PM
patgilm
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by BrettJacks
Occasionally, despite my efforts to park away from other cars, I'll come out and find somebody parked close enough to my driver side that I can't open the door wide enough to get in. Luckily my truck has the bench seat so it's more trivial to climb in through the passenger side.
If someone is parked that close I would be livid. I see it sometimes and always want to understand what is going through someone’s mind when they park that close and how they think someone can get in.
Old 12-29-23, 10:19 PM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Received 219 Likes on 184 Posts

Didn’t you say recently that you were pumping gas but it kept shutting off and it was so cold that you were sitting in the back seat while holding the gas nozzle and pumping gas?
Yes, that was a piece of **** gas pump.
Old 12-30-23, 12:56 AM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

Received 1,226 Likes on 911 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
https://youtu.be/WA2kF1oZb14?si=tkdU3UFmPOgYirHz

@SW17LS Did you post this yet? I like the front end look of this

The discussion was that Toyota doesnt do packaging well which it was perceived they do. My own 2UZ motor requires the motor to be removed for a front cat replacement, so older toyotas were just a time consuming as newer models. . The hot vee comment was a good point, but there are many examples where engines need to be removed in German cars for repairs. The Supra I used as an example was to show that with all that tech, it just creates more labour especially compared to the domestics at that time. Would love to see the Toyota spec instructions on the turbo replacement for the tundra.

how many hot vee V6 engines are there out there?
Your engine doesn't need to be removed for a cat replacement, I'm absolutely sure of it since I did one.

Older German stuff is hell, the newer stuff is far better. Engine out is common practice for the pre 2010s stuff to the point I don't want to own certain combinations at all, like my MK1 Touareg is fine with the VR6 but hell no with the V10
Old 12-30-23, 12:59 AM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

Hey now it was my dads Land Rover not one of mine lol!

Holy hell man, that's a stupid error for sure. Can you command the windows to roll down so you don't have to climb through at least?
Old 12-30-23, 01:04 AM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

If someone is parked that close I would be livid. I see it sometimes and always want to understand what is going through someone’s mind when they park that close and how they think someone can get in.
I would have to fight the temptation to put them into N and roll them away lol!
Old 12-30-23, 01:31 AM
TangoRed
Lead Lap

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

I can’t believe that problem is still happening. I remember that happening to a friend with a Model S back in 2015.
Old 12-30-23, 04:29 AM
geko29
Super Moderator

Received 303 Likes on 233 Posts

Originally Posted by BrettJacks
A couple weeks ago I parked near but not at the back of a relatively empty lot. Probably 15 consecutive spots to my right (closer to the stores) and 10 to my left in the half of the aisle I was in, and zero cars in the other half.

About 3 seconds after I walked away, a car with 4 or 5 people in it parked RIGHT next to me. I swore, went back to my car, and smoked the tires heading to the next aisle--which was also completely empty.

It boggles my mind how stupid people are.
Old 12-30-23, 04:44 AM
BayeauxLex
Instructor

Received 192 Likes on 163 Posts

Originally Posted by AJT123
Gotta hand it to ya, Mike. I would NEVER have figured that out. Great trivia, I'm a total fact nerd---especially stuff I'm passionate about. Thanks for this. I will look in every vehicle from now on.

Oh I can picture your old car and the actual handbrake, but I thought Mike was asking what's there that's in no new car. My next guess was going to be a ML logo. Only Lexus uses Mark Levinson that I'm aware of. Great stereo for road trips also.

I also own an LS430, trust me I get it. As great as the LXs ride is it don't track like no LS430 on the freeway, lol.

It wins the "best road trip car" for me/us because it's so safe and huge. I had a jackass trucker 18 wheeler tailing me like X-mas vacation style (car length) when I was going 80MPH, didn't make me nervous at all, I almost brake checked his ***. Trucks don't intimidate you in an LX. Nothing does, it started to snow on the way home and it was close to freezing temp.. no vehicle on earth I'd rather be in than DJ (his name). Including that year old Denali with 25k on it. I really like the FT4WD when conditions turn crappy like that, Jill ain't wrong preaching about its advantages all the time.

The pickup at higher speeds really surprises me in a great way. I did a pull and will try to upload it. I know some of you own insanely fast cars... but for a big BOF hauler it always feels abundantly powerful, plennnnty of reserve. Greatttt gearing, and as you can see....it sure wrings the gears out all the way to redline.

https://youtube.com/shorts/lUC_K9ZlMqU?feature=share

I agree the LS does pull pretty good up top for such a grand car.
Old 12-30-23, 04:48 AM
link13
Lead Lap

Received 46 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by geko29
A couple weeks ago I parked near but not at the back of a relatively empty lot. Probably 15 consecutive spots to my right (closer to the stores) and 10 to my left in the half of the aisle I was in, and zero cars in the other half.

About 3 seconds after I walked away, a car with 4 or 5 people in it parked RIGHT next to me. I swore, went back to my car, and smoked the tires heading to the next aisle--which was also completely empty.

It boggles my mind how stupid people are.
This is a frequent occurrence. I now leave fewer empty spaces to my left and right. It makes it less tempting for the stupid.
Old 12-30-23, 05:54 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,462 Likes on 1,615 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
Toyota did move the LX to an automated e brake in the 2016 refresh 3.0. Kaizen Land Cruiser 3.0 left the handbrake. I would prefer the hand brake if given the choice
why would you prefer a hand brake?
Old 12-30-23, 06:23 AM
Margate330
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,007 Likes on 802 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
why would you prefer a hand brake?
Yes sir, either a manual hand brake or the kind that you push with your foot like on my RX330.

​​​​​​I don't like electronic brakes.
Only because of potential failure points in the solenoids that release the brake.

I also don't want a car with "steer by wire" that is electronically steered vs linked hardware between the steering wheel and the wheels. 😬

Last edited by Margate330; 12-30-23 at 06:26 AM.

Quick Reply: General Car Conversation