Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

General Car Conversation

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-23, 09:06 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by link13
On my 1994 GS300, I had an exhaust leak and replacing the part was $1600 because it’s one piece including the cat converter iirc. My independent mechanic told me to go to a muffler shop and gave me a recommendation. They did some welding to fix the leak and it was about $100.
I had them weld the cracks. When I told my independent, he kinda questioned it himself. Only 4Runner and GX do the one piece, where Land Cruiser/Tundra and LX/Sequoia are two pieces

4Runner V8

Tundra V8

oh great. My 21 is one piece

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 12-30-23 at 09:17 PM.
Old 12-31-23, 12:27 AM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

Received 1,226 Likes on 911 Posts

I'm telling you that the engine can stay in the car lol! Your car is the exact same as a 2007 and I've done it on those as well
Old 12-31-23, 06:28 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,462 Likes on 1,615 Posts

Originally Posted by Margate330
Yes sir, either a manual hand brake or the kind that you push with your foot like on my RX330.

​​​​​​I don't like electronic brakes.
Only because of potential failure points in the solenoids that release the brake.

I also don't want a car with "steer by wire" that is electronically steered vs linked hardware between the steering wheel and the wheels. 😬
man, aren't you an electrical or electronic engineer? you sure have little faith in your profession.
Old 12-31-23, 07:58 AM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

Received 1,226 Likes on 911 Posts

Originally Posted by Stroock639
both of my cars are fantastic for never needing to downshift out of the highest gear... the combination of lots of torque and very little aero drag / excess weight makes for fantastic long distance haulers!

also since it's apparently the time to post racy speedometer pics here's the best i got lol

unfortunately nothing was recording when i've hit the limiter at 155 lol... 0-150 is only about 20 or 21 seconds in that car and i'm always impressed by how little space is needed to quickly do a pull to those kinds of speeds and casually slow back down like nothing even happened haha
Nice, I don't have any max run pics for my cars since I have to pay attention where I do V-max runs and can't really run a phone at the same time. Plus the really fast one is still limited....I need to fix that
Old 12-31-23, 08:25 AM
Margate330
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,007 Likes on 802 Posts

Originally Posted by geko29
As opposed to a cable that stretches and requires regular adjustment and/or replacement to work like new? I've never in my life driven a vehicle with a regularly-used mechanical parking brake that still worked perfectly, unless it had had work done recently to make it so. The one in my 12-year old E90 is used every day, has been adjusted twice, and once again won't hold the car on the driveway. I think I have to have the cable replaced at this point, because I don't think I have any more threads to tighten the adjusting nut.

By contrast, the EPB on our 6-year-old Q7, also used every single day, holds 100% as tight as the day we brought it home from the dealer. It also releases automatically if you somehow forget. Give me the modern solution that works the same for the life of the vehicle any day and twice on Sunday.

As for solenoid failure, you do know your transmission has solenoids that actuate hundreds or thousands of times per day, right? You don't have to replace those weekly. Nor should you have to replace one that gets used <100 times per month over the life of the vehicle.
You make some good points friend.

The selenoids in my transmission are high performance made to be made for the job, yeah they can fail too tho.

I was just thinking if the e-brake failed or the battery died, no way to release the brake. Unless it's designed to release when under no power or a mechanical bypass.

Originally Posted by Striker223
I like an electric brake as long as it's a direct to caliper system and not a awful "motor with two cables leading to the rotor drum" type like on the LS460. That has all of the disadvantages and none of the plus sides of a direct to caliper electronic one, the electrics are nice since they always clamp hard, can auto retract for a brake job, and are much less complex than any other type.
Sounds like they've improved the designs.

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
man, aren't you an electrical or electronic engineer? you sure have little faith in your profession.
Hi Bit, Computer Science but I reverse engineer and repair electronics daily so I see how they fail.

Sometimes I have to write programs to communicate with a device under test.

There are good designs and bad designs of course. Lol

My job humbles me daily as I get my butt kicked trying to solve problems. Lol

Electronics are great, when they work but they fail A LOT. Lol 😀

Last edited by Margate330; 12-31-23 at 08:45 AM.
Old 12-31-23, 09:42 AM
Stroock639
Lexus Test Driver

Received 241 Likes on 182 Posts

Nice, I don't have any max run pics for my cars since I have to pay attention where I do V-max runs and can't really run a phone at the same time. Plus the really fast one is still limited....I need to fix that
this was actually a mounted gopro affixed to the steering wheel, i just took a screenshot from my 0-150 run

although things are generally smooth enough at those speeds that it could’ve been a phone lol
Old 12-31-23, 09:51 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

I'm telling you that the engine can stay in the car lol! Your car is the exact same as a 2007 and I've done it on those as well
The 2003-2004 uses different parts for the entire exhaust compared to the 2005-2009. Different parts/#s. So no, they cars aren’t the exact same. Engine parts are also listed as different, they likely or maybe will fit but there are two different parts available for many components. Same with the GX. I do agree that the engine likely doesn’t have to come out, but that is not what the Toyota dealer I used to frequent claims it to be

You make some good points friend.

The selenoids in my transmission are high performance made to be made for the job, yeah they can fail too tho.

I was just thinking if the e-brake failed or the battery died, no way to release the brake. Unless it's designed to release when under no power or a mechanical bypass.
There are advantages of the auto brake. I will say that. But just something that doesn’t matter to me

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 12-31-23 at 10:19 AM.
Old 12-31-23, 01:36 PM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Received 219 Likes on 184 Posts

there's actually a real truth here lol

yea i remember driving a new 200 series several years ago (the last model year of the 6-speed!) and after only a few short moments having this massive wave of superiority and invincibility just completely wash over me! i suddenly got the urge to want to drive through things and like smash down a big gate or something lmao

the LS 400 feels light on its feet despite the velvety smooth and aristocratic ride, but the Land Cruiser is clearly a truck... just one that's been better designed and more optimized than any other, all the truck-y elements are delivered in a way that creates an experience and not gets in the way of one
It's just such a tank.

Let me put it this way for perspective... The '22 Denali dwarfs it in size, these GM SUVs are so massive. And don't get me wrong, it's a tank too.

But LX570 actually weighs several hundred pounds more.

I really like the confidence of FT4WD driving with snow coming down with close to freezing temps, at night far from home like the other night. Nothing phases you in it, like I was saying. Jackass truck 18 wheeler drivers even, screw them. No anxiety when they tailgate me. That guy had no business going 80MPH in a semi like that on a 2 lane. If it snowed bad and the roads were about to stop, I'd literally just drive up in the grass way up to the side until an exit with a hotel. Any trouble there I just turn crawl control set it to mud and snow and lock the diff. CC has backed me up a huge hill on ice before (very slowly). I came close to sliding into that car ahead (slowwwly) but CC got me reversing.

Old 12-31-23, 11:16 PM
BayeauxLex
Instructor

Received 192 Likes on 163 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
how long were you running at that speed
Not sure but I know it wouldn’t go over that speed. I tend to test out the top speed and fuel range limits of every vehicle I own.
Old 12-31-23, 11:24 PM
BayeauxLex
Instructor

Received 192 Likes on 163 Posts

Originally Posted by AJT123
Do do do.....

Even the way the limiter cuts in is refined (but sucks). LS430 will go 160. However limiter is like this big soft hand that stops the all the fun.

Jill, these will run all day at these high speeds. I've done it but at night.
both of my cars are fantastic for never needing to downshift out of the highest gear... the combination of lots of torque and very little aero drag / excess weight makes for fantastic long distance haulers!

also since it's apparently the time to post racy speedometer pics here's the best i got lol

unfortunately nothing was recording when i've hit the limiter at 155 lol... 0-150 is only about 20 or 21 seconds in that car and i'm always impressed by how little space is needed to quickly do a pull to those kinds of speeds and casually slow back down like nothing even happened haha
We’re car enthusiasts. You have to open it up and see what it can do, see what you paid for. 😁
Old 01-01-24, 12:22 AM
FrankReynoldsCPA
Lexus Test Driver

Received 95 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by BayeauxLex
We’re car enthusiasts. You have to open it up and see what it can do, see what you paid for. 😁
​​​​​​

Always remember, aerodynamics are for people who can't build engines.
Old 01-01-24, 04:44 AM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Received 219 Likes on 184 Posts

Apparently the LX570 can do close to 140, which is ungoverned and faster than the LS430.

@SW17LS --

Wind noise does not increase dramatically at all past 90, still stays quiet as a tomb inside. But yeah, you're going faster so it is a little louder.

Range Rover and others could learn a thing or two from Lexus if that's the case as you are saying. I went up past 100, still extremely quiet.
Old 01-01-24, 05:15 AM
geko29
Super Moderator

Received 303 Likes on 233 Posts

Originally Posted by BrettJacks
​​​​​​

To a point. It would probably take over 3,000 hp to get your F150 past 200 mph. Whereas a fair number of cars with 500-700 hp can achieve that mark.
Old 01-01-24, 05:30 AM
Margate330
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,007 Likes on 802 Posts

Originally Posted by BrettJacks
​​​​​​

Originally Posted by geko29
To a point. It would probably take over 3,000 hp to get your F150 past 200 mph. Whereas a fair number of cars with 500-700 hp can achieve that mark.
Yeah, maybe so but it still sounded good. Lol 🤖. 🚀
Old 01-01-24, 05:39 AM
geko29
Super Moderator

Received 303 Likes on 233 Posts

Yeah, maybe so but it still sounded good. Lol 🤖. 🚀
Sounds like a challenge. The bed is pretty large, I'm sure with some clever ductwork something from Rolls Royce or Pratt & Whitney could get the job done.

Quick Reply: General Car Conversation