Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

General Car Conversation

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-22, 09:48 AM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Received 2,268 Likes on 1,767 Posts

Originally Posted by LeX2K
Life in the fast Musk lane
When you have enough F U money, any lane can be yours! And giant house boats for $20K a day

Old 07-22-22, 09:59 AM
LeX2K
Lexus Fanatic

Received 3,063 Likes on 2,575 Posts

He's going to solve global warming all by himself with the amount of sunlight he deflects back into space.
Old 07-22-22, 10:03 AM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Received 2,268 Likes on 1,767 Posts

He's going to solve global warming all by himself with the amount of sunlight he deflects back into space.
LOL! I know he's the richest man in the world, but he really shouldn't go shirtless in public....
Old 07-22-22, 09:40 PM
Margate330
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,030 Likes on 814 Posts

Hi everyone, TGIW!
Just made that up, thank God it's the weekend. lol

Made it thru another week and no matter how hard I try I can't get everything that needs doing... DONE.

Originally Posted by Striker223
They fail like crazy unless it's on a Lexus, very common to have them stuck pointing way low or high. That's why the Germans went to LED arrays instead, no moving parts, I would argue the swivel is still very advanced and almost nothing has a system like that. It shocks people when you show it to them most of the time
I only have auto leveling on my RX330 but when the headlights were looking old and dated, good gosh I couldn't believe how much the oem replacements were!
So I went the cheaper route and got some aftermarket non-leveling replacements for dirt cheap and they really freshened up the looks of the car.
I don't drive at night anyway.

Originally Posted by AMIRZA786
It's actually true, as reported in Bloomberg news: https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...-mexico-border

In other news, those who are shorting Tesla bet wrong: https://electrek.co/2022/07/22/tesla...s-are-hurting/

Polestar stock on the other hand, not doing too well despite sales being way up

Honestly I wouldn't worry about it cuz seems like people really like their cars.
All the stocks are going thru the "pump and dump" continuously, lots of coins shaking out for the people in the "know" before discouraging news gets reported and then see a rally again after the same peeps already sold it short and got their coins profit again on the upswing. Been watching them do this pattern for many years. Just my opinion.

That was cold....
But so true! haha
Old 07-23-22, 06:24 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 88 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by AMIRZA786
LOL! I know he's the richest man in the world, but he really shouldn't go shirtless in public....

Wasn't it he who told his employees to not worry and keep their shirts on?
Old 07-23-22, 06:26 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 72 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by Margate330
I only have auto leveling on my RX330 but when the headlights were looking old and dated, good gosh I couldn't believe how much the oem replacements were!
So I went the cheaper route and got some aftermarket non-leveling replacements for dirt cheap and they really freshened up the looks of the car.
I don't drive at night anyway.
Auto levelling lights are something I could do without. I like to keep my cars for a long time. Would be very upset to find that I need whole new headlight assembly in year 10 of ownership if a part failed and the bill was like $1000 when it could have been prevented if the silly part was just never offered. New Corolla has swivelling lights...why
Old 07-23-22, 06:43 AM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

Received 1,251 Likes on 932 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
Auto levelling lights are something I could do without. I like to keep my cars for a long time. Would be very upset to find that I need whole new headlight assembly in year 10 of ownership if a part failed and the bill was like $1000 when it could have been prevented if the silly part was just never offered. New Corolla has swivelling lights...why
They generally never break on Toyota/Lexus, if the headlight fades get it polished or replace the lenses. The system works really really well once you try it.....
Old 07-23-22, 06:48 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

They generally never break on Toyota/Lexus, if the headlight fades get it polished or replace the lenses. The system works really really well once you try it.....
Everything works well...until it breaks.

If you don't put it in there to begin with, then it can't break.
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls-...ht-issues.html

Have you eve owned a car for 20+ years?
Old 07-23-22, 07:38 AM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Received 236 Likes on 198 Posts

Lexus swiveling headlights and/or leveling ones don't really break. In all these years I've seen maybe one person, two tops. And usually it's the sensor in the rear wheel-well area that needs a replacement if there is a problem, not the actual swiveling motors.

The motors themselves are reliable. Still works great on my 18 year old LS.

Also IDK if anyone knows this but by law (I'm pretty sure) xenon headlights have to have leveling, auto or otherwise. They left xenons out of the LX until 2013 because Lexus claimed they didn't want to blind people.
Old 07-23-22, 08:09 AM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

Everything works well...until it breaks.

If you don't put it in there to begin with, then it can't break.
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls-...ht-issues.html

Have you eve owned a car for 20+ years?
Yeah actually, most of mine are around that age and one has been kept day one for that long. My 430 was horribly out of calibration when I got it but the system worked still, I just had to perform the re-aim and sync at desired ride height. Easy

Speaking of 20 year old cars I'm actually in the process right now of adding an RX back into my fleet.....I can't seem to shake having at least one in the family. The Jeep will finally be retired I guess, had a great run with it but I would rather have a 1 owner 130k mile RX. Fun part is that according to the owner it blew its original timing belt, so I'm going to be fixing it in a parking lot two hours from home. Should be fun lol!
Old 07-23-22, 08:10 AM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by AJT123
Lexus swiveling headlights and/or leveling ones don't really break. In all these years I've seen maybe one person, two tops. And usually it's the sensor in the rear wheel-well area that needs a replacement if there is a problem, not the actual swiveling motors.

The motors themselves are reliable. Still works great on my 18 year old LS.

Also IDK if anyone knows this but by law (I'm pretty sure) xenon headlights have to have leveling, auto or otherwise. They left xenons out of the LX until 2013 because Lexus claimed they didn't want to blind people.
Yep. 100% correct, I have mine set a bit high since I'm an @$$ and wanted a little more throw than what is technically allowed
Old 07-23-22, 08:20 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Yeah actually, most of mine are around that age and one has been kept day one for that long. My 430 was horribly out of calibration when I got it but the system worked still, I just had to perform the re-aim and sync at desired ride height. Easyl!
Meant to say,, owned it for 20+. From the start? Day1. When I purchase Toyota (Lexus in the past too) cars…I try to balance the idea of something not going wrong for a long long term ownership experience ….I am not a mechanic … but that doesn’t mean I want to have the issue of swapping out new my springs (04 4Runner) because of sensors that have failed 17 years after it was bought. Then I also have to install new shock absorbers too.
Stupid Toyota put air springs in the back of the 4R which just suck when it all starts to fall apart. My new one does not carry air springs which is great.

so something like swivelling headlights….useless to me…especially the idea that a new Toyota Corolla has them….thankfully my Matrix and my Corolla do not. But it’s pretty irritating that my Corolla LEDs can’t be changed in my garage…like I have almost ever car since the existence of purchasing cars. I have no idea if my 4Runner LEDs are a DIY set up. (I think I am afraid to look on the manual)

Do these LS swivel lights default back to the original settings in case there is a failure? GM does that for the Quadrasteer steering in case the rear wheels fail…there is a spring that snaps them into proper place.

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 07-23-22 at 08:29 AM.
Old 07-23-22, 08:29 AM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

Meant to say,, owned it for 20+. From the start? Day1. When I purchase Toyota (Lexus in the past too) cars…I try to balance the idea of something going not wrong for a long long term ownership experience ….I am not a mechanic … but that doesn’t mean I want to have the issue of swapping out new my springs (04 4Runner) because of sensors that have failed 17 years after it was bought. Then I also have to install new shock absorbers too.
Stupid Toyota put air springs in the back of the 4R which just suck when it all starts to fall apart.

so something like swivelling headlights….useless to me…especially the idea that a new Toyota Corolla has them….thankfully my Matrix and my Corolla do not. But it’s pretty irritating that my Corolla LEDs can’t be changed in my garage…like I have almost ever car since the existence of purchasing cars. I have no idea if my 4Runner LEDs are a DIY set up.

Do these LS swivel lights default back to the original settings in case there is a failure? GM does that for the Quadrasteer steering in case the rear wheels fail…there is a spring that snaps them into proper place.
They do, if they can't for some reason they trip a warning on dash. Most of the time they don't actually have an error, the suspension attitude sensors get weird and need re-calibrated.

I have owned one car day one, my 03 ram. It's been the most perfect car my family has ever owned in terms of reliable operation of everything involved. Literally unfailingly perfect for 165k miles. It's the first car my dad ever kept past 50k miles since he simply couldn't comprehend that it was still perfect at such "high" miles. I got it as my first at 80k and it served perfectly up until I had enough money to get my Jeep and turn it into an impressively impractical monster.
Old 07-23-22, 08:32 AM
Margate330
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,030 Likes on 814 Posts

Speaking of 20 year old cars I'm actually in the process right now of adding an RX back into my fleet.....I can't seem to shake having at least one in the family. The Jeep will finally be retired I guess, had a great run with it but I would rather have a 1 owner 130k mile RX. Fun part is that according to the owner it blew its original timing belt, so I'm going to be fixing it in a parking lot two hours from home. Should be fun lol!
Oh wow, even for a pro like you that's scary cuz may not have something you need based of a sellers description of the problem- hope he is telling whole story.

You probably don't need it but I have everything on this car if you need it for reference in a pinch.
Just pm me if you need, I got your back!

Also ran and documented known good waveforms on the crankshaft vs camshaft correlation waveform and injection & spark if you bring a scope and want to run some diagnostics first.
Old 07-23-22, 08:41 AM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Margate330
Oh wow, even for a pro like you that's scary cuz may not have something you need based of a sellers description of the problem- hope he is telling whole story.

You probably don't need it but I have everything on this car if you need it for reference in a pinch.
Just pm me if you need, I got your back!

Also ran and documented known good waveforms on the crankshaft vs camshaft correlation waveform and injection & spark if you bring a scope and want to run some diagnostics first.
Much appreciated man! I think it should be a okay but I do have my scope with me and more than enough tools to do a belt, I really hope the scope doesn't have to leave the box lol!

There is a parts store in my network less than 300 yards from the car that I had call in all sensors, a belt kit, VVTI solenoids, and a set of coils and plugs so I SHOULD have anything I need. Hopefully....

My trailer is busy so I would have to pay for a tow and I'm not dropping $600 for that. Not worth it when I can fix it in 3-4 hours

Quick Reply: General Car Conversation