Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

General Car Conversation

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-22, 07:56 AM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

Received 1,226 Likes on 911 Posts

The 06 is doing great, I'm going to wash and wax it and perform brake fluid and oil while I'm here to make sure it stays perfect

Brand new MXM4s

Grandparents insisted on seat covers and mats.....gets me every time lol! They just can't help themselves, even the Honda is in perfect shape

Old 07-25-22, 09:05 AM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Received 2,163 Likes on 1,683 Posts

Originally Posted by Striker223
Other problem is that in typical turbo car fashion it ate oil, I actually posted this when pulled over to fill it since I got the add warning
One of the reasons I left VW...oil burning/leaking issues. My family was big into VW's in the late 70's, early 80's, and everyone one of them burned oil and ran hot. I had an 86 VW GTI, from the day I drove it off the dealers lot to the day I totalled it (not my fault!) it ate about a quart of oil every 3 weeks. In SoCal summers, especially on days that were above 90F, the temp gauge would get really close to the red in stop & go traffic. I took it back to the dealership a few times and they said the oil burning/temps running near red in the summer were within factory spec...he even showed me in the owner's manual where it said "as long as it doesn't run in the red" everything is normal...LOL. One day I heard a bubbling sound pulling into my driveway, and the plastic radiator fill/overflow cracked and had to be replaced. But other than the oil burning, running hot, relays burning out at the worst time, blown fuses, leaking water pumps etc, the car was fun and amazing to drive...the 75 percent of the time it wasn't in the shop!

I eventually moved on from German cars after a bad experience owning a Mercedes 280S and bought a Chevy Cavalier Z24 with the 2.8L V6 that I picked up at a dealers auction. The issues were nowhere near as bad as with my VW's, but this car had all kinds of bugs...I had to replace the EPROM, the digital dashboard had to be rebuilt, the oil pan had developed a leak, radiator failed....I ended up pouring $5K into a car that only had less than 70K on it. Than in 1996 my brother in law convinced me to trade it in for a Toyota...and good God, who knew you could own a car that didn't breakdown, burn or leak oil, and you knew would start and not leave you stranded? My 2013 Toyota Sienna has over 160K on it, and I change the oil every 7K...and never have to add a drop of oil between oil changes. It's been the same for all my Toyotas/Lexus cars, I never have to/had to add any oil between oil changes
Old 07-25-22, 09:35 AM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by AMIRZA786
One of the reasons I left VW...oil burning/leaking issues. My family was big into VW's in the late 70's, early 80's, and everyone one of them burned oil and ran hot. I had an 86 VW GTI, from the day I drove it off the dealers lot to the day I totalled it (not my fault!) it ate about a quart of oil every 3 weeks. In SoCal summers, especially on days that were above 90F, the temp gauge would get really close to the red in stop & go traffic. I took it back to the dealership a few times and they said the oil burning/temps running near red in the summer were within factory spec...he even showed me in the owner's manual where it said "as long as it doesn't run in the red" everything is normal...LOL. One day I heard a bubbling sound pulling into my driveway, and the plastic radiator fill/overflow cracked and had to be replaced. But other than the oil burning, running hot, relays burning out at the worst time, blown fuses, leaking water pumps etc, the car was fun and amazing to drive...the 75 percent of the time it wasn't in the shop!

I eventually moved on from German cars after a bad experience owning a Mercedes 280S and bought a Chevy Cavalier Z24 with the 2.8L V6 that I picked up at a dealers auction. The issues were nowhere near as bad as with my VW's, but this car had all kinds of bugs...I had to replace the EPROM, the digital dashboard had to be rebuilt, the oil pan had developed a leak, radiator failed....I ended up pouring $5K into a car that only had less than 70K on it. Than in 1996 my brother in law convinced me to trade it in for a Toyota...and good God, who knew you could own a car that didn't breakdown, burn or leak oil, and you knew would start and not leave you stranded? My 2013 Toyota Sienna has over 160K on it, and I change the oil every 7K...and never have to add a drop of oil between oil changes. It's been the same for all my Toyotas/Lexus cars, I never have to/had to add any oil between oil changes
Oh I feel ya, it's crazy how off the wall VW can get with seemingly all the problems at the same time. Sounds like you had a really bad run of it, yeah Toyota is very solid. My 460 doesn't use any oil at all even though it's a car that is known to use oil....this A8 eats about what I expect from a TT car all things considered. I'm willing to deal with having to carry the two spare QTs, I actually had 1/2 a qt of random euro spec M1 5w-40 I also brought with and used for this refill.

Thankfully nothing else acted up at all. The warning tone to refill scared the hell out of me though since it's the same time Audi uses for "It's dead Jim" type problems. I didn't even have to stop, it just let me know it needed 1.3L added at some point. I think it's fair to have to mind the oil on one car since all the others also get checked at every fuel stop even though none use any. 1 out of 9 isn't bad.....
Old 07-25-22, 10:00 AM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Oh I feel ya, it's crazy how off the wall VW can get with seemingly all the problems at the same time. Sounds like you had a really bad run of it, yeah Toyota is very solid. My 460 doesn't use any oil at all even though it's a car that is known to use oil....this A8 eats about what I expect from a TT car all things considered. I'm willing to deal with having to carry the two spare QTs, I actually had 1/2 a qt of random euro spec M1 5w-40 I also brought with and used for this refill.

Thankfully nothing else acted up at all. The warning tone to refill scared the hell out of me though since it's the same time Audi uses for "It's dead Jim" type problems. I didn't even have to stop, it just let me know it needed 1.3L added at some point. I think it's fair to have to mind the oil on one car since all the others also get checked at every fuel stop even though none use any. 1 out of 9 isn't bad.....
Well one thing I will say, the GTI was a lot of fun. It was pretty fast (in those days) for a 115 HP 1.8L, and although FWD, it handled really well. That's where the Germans prevail
Old 07-25-22, 10:04 AM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by AMIRZA786
Well one thing I will say, the GTI was a lot of fun. It was pretty fast (in those days) for a 115 HP 1.8L, and although FWD, it handled really well. That's where the Germans prevail
Indeed, that's exactly why I have one. I'm probably not going to road trip it again since it's not ideal for it vs other cars I have but man it's fun to drive
Old 07-25-22, 10:07 AM
TriC
Racer

Received 267 Likes on 201 Posts

What a nice treat to see my old LS, Striker - thanks! They certainly haven't put many miles on it. And it's worth far more now than 2 years ago.
Old 07-25-22, 12:58 PM
Lwerewolf
Racer

Received 253 Likes on 191 Posts

All new fluids, great tires, and the 07s have different engine tuning than later years. It consistently gets me 29-34 at speed except for hilly areas where it drops to 26-27. I also run 36 cold/39-41 psi hot so I'm a little on the firmer side. I also tend to pulse and glide and draft trucks a good bit, if I'm going down hill I pulse up to 120 and coast for a mile or two back down to 70 to minimize mountains impact.

The cluster seems to line up with actual distance traveled/gas put in the tank so I trust it.

I'm also not surprised at that your hybrid only gets that much, it's not as powerful as a V8 at higher speeds so it works harder and the hybrid system can't help. My MIL has a RX450h that also badly loses on interstate to both my LSs but kills them under 60 mph or any type of stop and go. EDIT: your car actually is only 110lb lighter than mine and not as slippery and frontal area is close, that and a V6 is likely why.
This is after I got back from berryville AK, that's round trip including a week of driving in town to dinner and the ranges. Pure interstate I was over 32 the whole time
The RX450h is an SUV. You can guess the high speed drag penalty.

How hard the engine has to work means jack. Every engine mentioned so far is within its "great efficiency" range at those speeds. The 3rd gen 450h is basically a GS350 at highway speeds. Still more efficient than a GS460, which leads me to the point that there's no way that you're getting that kind of mpg while doing 90 on a round trip - with either vehicle.

For comparison - a B8 Passat 2.0tdi does 30mpg with an average trip computer speed of 82mph (read: constant 95-ish+). That's about as economical of a car that you can get for those conditions.

Anyways, sorry but something seems WAY off.
Old 07-25-22, 02:11 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,741 Likes on 1,962 Posts

That sure is amazing mileage!
Old 07-25-22, 02:16 PM
arentz07
drives cars

Received 3,809 Likes on 1,931 Posts

Originally Posted by SW17LS
That sure is amazing mileage!
Yeah my IS 350 will get over 30 only if I am on a longer highway stretch and keeping my speed at 75 MPH or less. But, I have managed to get 32 MPG a couple times. Still though, not impressive when my old Buick Century could do the same. Granted - the Buick weighed less and had less power!

Those VWs got some good mileage too. The GLI in particular was amazing - I saw 38 MPG on the trip from Missouri down to Georgia when we moved. I never saw a number like that in the GTI, but that was probably thanks to the GLI having the newer 7-speed DCT.
Old 07-25-22, 02:19 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by arentz07
Yeah my IS 350 will get over 30 only if I am on a longer highway stretch and keeping my speed at 75 MPH or less. But, I have managed to get 32 MPG a couple times. Still though, not impressive when my old Buick Century could do the same. Granted - the Buick weighed less and had less power!

Those VWs got some good mileage too. The GLI in particular was amazing - I saw 38 MPG on the trip from Missouri down to Georgia when we moved. I never saw a number like that in the GTI, but that was probably thanks to the GLI having the newer 7-speed DCT.
I had the 2nd Gen IS with the 6 speed and more aggressive gearing so I never saw better than 28 MPG...on a long highway drive. Average daily was 17 to 19 MPG. I did have a 2018 Civic Si for about a year, but the way I drove it I averaged 28 MPG and was able to get 35 to 38 MPG on the hwy
Old 07-25-22, 02:20 PM
Margate330
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,007 Likes on 802 Posts

I can definately see picking up a few mpg drafting behind semis and then down hill letting it go full blast until wind slows car back down.

Wind resistance requires extra horsepower aka more gas. IMO
Old 07-25-22, 02:24 PM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Received 219 Likes on 184 Posts

Our '11 IS350 got mediocre mileage, surprisingly bad. But it also did 0-60 in 4.9 seconds with no turbo BS.
Old 07-25-22, 02:29 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by AJT123
Our '11 IS350 got mediocre mileage, surprisingly bad. But it also did 0-60 in 4.9 seconds with no turbo BS.
I miss that NA, screaming 3.5L I don't need no stinking turbo IS350 https://photos.app.goo.gl/A3QRCrjfi4QGtGEC9
Old 07-25-22, 06:31 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,970 Likes on 2,502 Posts

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/autos/othe...ale/ar-AAZWYMa

General Car Conversation-gvroh5k.jpg
Old 07-25-22, 06:34 PM
Lwerewolf
Racer

Received 253 Likes on 191 Posts

Needs a 7A-GE build.

Quick Reply: General Car Conversation