Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

General Car Conversation

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-22, 08:21 PM
Margate330
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,030 Likes on 814 Posts

Originally Posted by AMIRZA786
I miss that NA, screaming 3.5L I don't need no stinking turbo IS350 https://photos.app.goo.gl/A3QRCrjfi4QGtGEC9
Your new Polestar is definately an upgrade but your old car was nice too!

I love that!
Looks mint too.

Originally Posted by Lwerewolf
Needs a 7A-GE build.
We are all friends here and I see you are in BG.
What or where is BG if I can ask, guessing europe by your good english?
If so happy to meet you from the US!

PS- not sure what a 7A-GE rebuild is so will have to look that one up unless someone knows.

Old 07-25-22, 09:23 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Fanatic

Received 3,063 Likes on 2,575 Posts

That needs the 3S-GTE not a Corolla engine.
Old 07-26-22, 02:53 AM
Lwerewolf
Racer

Received 256 Likes on 192 Posts

Haha, I was referring to the fact that the car has a 1.8 currently (probably a 7A-FE given the hp quotes).

Originally Posted by Margate330
We are all friends here and I see you are in BG.
What or where is BG if I can ask, guessing europe by your good english?
If so happy to meet you from the US!

PS- not sure what a 7A-GE rebuild is so will have to look that one up unless someone knows.
It's in Europe and it's not Belgium

7AGE is a 7AFE block using a 4AGE head. Not very straightforward but it's the go-to street NA build for the platform.
Old 07-26-22, 04:07 AM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

Received 1,251 Likes on 932 Posts

The RX450h is an SUV. You can guess the high speed drag penalty.

How hard the engine has to work means jack. Every engine mentioned so far is within its "great efficiency" range at those speeds. The 3rd gen 450h is basically a GS350 at highway speeds. Still more efficient than a GS460, which leads me to the point that there's no way that you're getting that kind of mpg while doing 90 on a round trip - with either vehicle.

For comparison - a B8 Passat 2.0tdi does 30mpg with an average trip computer speed of 82mph (read: constant 95-ish+). That's about as economical of a car that you can get for those conditions.

Anyways, sorry but something seems WAY off.
That's what they get, and sorry but no. The 4.0/4.6 engines are way better at speed than any of the 6s, that's a fact. The 450h is heavier than a 350, and has a CVT plus a less effective engine with the hybrid system out of the picture. You also also forgetting aero differences at speed and lockup of the 8 speed trans being far superior to the CVT or early 6 speed V6 cars. All of those differences start giving an edge to the high end cars at speed.

At those speeds I'm at 2800 rpm vs 4000 for a 6, also remember that most mainstream cars are setup for EPA testing that occurs at 55mph....these aren't since most buyers do not have much priority assigned to mpg and few are sold to the point CAFE matters. The TDI engines are far more capable than 30, delete and tune them and you will get 50 but stock they are constrained. However the emissions scandal thing made the tuning even worse so stock those cars are pointless now

Last edited by Striker223; 07-26-22 at 04:31 AM.
Old 07-26-22, 07:02 AM
arentz07
drives cars
Forum Moderator

Received 3,923 Likes on 1,980 Posts

I miss that NA, screaming 3.5L I don't need no stinking turbo IS350 https://photos.app.goo.gl/A3QRCrjfi4QGtGEC9
Thankfully the 2021 sounds pretty much the same.

Second gear: https://photos.app.goo.gl/hwS1VhxWphkSJkeYA
Old 07-26-22, 07:28 AM
Margate330
Lexus Test Driver

Haha,
It's in Europe and it's not Belgium
Some belgium humor, I get it!

Originally Posted by arentz07

Hi arentz07, I saw your pic.
Nice looking speedometer.
What's you mph when winding out 1st and 2nd?

Originally Posted by Striker223
The 4.0/4.6 engines are way better at speed than any of the 6s, that's a fact. The 450h is heavier than a 350, and has a CVT plus a less effective engine with the hybrid system out of the picture. You also also forgetting aero differences at speed and lockup of the 8 speed trans being far superior to the CVT or early 6 speed V6 cars. All of those differences start giving an edge to the high end cars at speed.
If you say you got those mpg numbers I believe you and you showed your dash.
Sounded a little high at first until you explained.
If people want to debate I think there are some debate threads somewhere but it's not here as far as I know. lol
Old 07-26-22, 07:34 AM
arentz07
drives cars
Forum Moderator

Originally Posted by Margate330
Hi arentz07, I saw your pic.
Nice looking speedometer.
What's you mph when winding out 1st and 2nd?
It's a video, and in the video it shifts just over 6000 RPM.

If I want it to go to redline I pretty much have to use manual mode. For some reason the auto won't go very high even with my foot planted. I think the highest RPM it will ever reach in auto is 6500, but it'll go all the way to 6800 if I am in manual mode with traction off. I would have used manual mode, but needed a hand to hold my phone.
Old 07-26-22, 07:44 AM
Margate330
Lexus Test Driver

It's a video, and in the video it shifts just over 6000 RPM.
Oh that's funny!
Duh
We're talking engine grunt and I'm thinking why is arentz showing pic of speedo at 22mph in 2nd gear- thinking 1st gear must wind out much higher than that!
Then I clicked on it... lol

If I want it to go to redline I pretty much have to use manual mode. For some reason the auto won't go very high even with my foot planted. I think the highest RPM it will ever reach in auto is 6500, but it'll go all the way to 6800 if I am in manual mode with traction off. I would have used manual mode, but needed a hand to hold my phone.
Guess they're figuring if someone want's to hold redline and blow engine they have to put in manual mode and that's on them and not on Lexus.
Just a guess tho, I made that up.
Old 07-26-22, 07:53 AM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

Received 1,251 Likes on 932 Posts

Just got back from test driving the 06 LS and making sure it's all good, I'm still astounded every time I drive it. Unreal quality and silence and it doesn't appear to shift at all on up shifts. Truly some of the best built cars ever.

Totally blows my Audi away for comfort, ride isolation, wind isolation, and utter silence. Won't even bring build quality into it.....

Last edited by Striker223; 07-26-22 at 08:04 AM.
Old 07-26-22, 07:54 AM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Received 2,268 Likes on 1,767 Posts

Those are really cool gauges! Sounds really cool! I drove the 2021 F-Sport last September, it's way more refined and comfortable than the 2nd gen. Almost bought one, but ended up changing directions... but still love the IS. It's one of the best sports/luxury cars IMO
Old 07-26-22, 08:31 AM
LeX2K
Lexus Fanatic

Received 3,063 Likes on 2,575 Posts

Those are about the only chrome wheels I've seen that are not peeling. Car looks spectacular.
Haha, I was referring to the fact that the car has a 1.8 currently (probably a 7A-FE given the hp quotes)
3S-FE. In some markets that era of Camry had a variable dial for octane tuning.
Old 07-26-22, 08:41 AM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by LeX2K
Those are about the only chrome wheels I've seen that are not peeling. Car looks spectacular.

3S-FE. In some markets that era of Camry had a variable dial for octane tuning.
Yesterday I was behind a guy who had put on the tackiest Ebay racing wing I've ever seen on his 2007/2008 Camry LE. I'm guessing it added an extra 20 WHP
Old 07-26-22, 08:52 AM
arentz07
drives cars
Forum Moderator

Those are really cool gauges! Sounds really cool! I drove the 2021 F-Sport last September, it's way more refined and comfortable than the 2nd gen. Almost bought one, but ended up changing directions... but still love the IS. It's one of the best sports/luxury cars IMO
Yup. I think it's probably not for everyone though. EVs and modern turbocharged cars have a lot more low-end grunt, which, to your average driver, is going to feel way better than this V-6's mid-range torque. It's not totally lifeless at lower RPM, but it doesn't have that shove I get when I drive the wife's 330i for example. But, the handling and comfort are really great in this class, particularly the seating position. Even when I first test-drove it, the seat just felt right. Nice and low without being a chore to get in and out.

The thing is, Lexus really nailed all the intangibles and the enthusiast-y things about this car, but it's dated in many other ways. The infotainment is the most obvious. But if you want a comfortable daily driver to occasionally go enjoy on a back road, this is a good one. If you are just going to the grocery store and back, maybe not so much - the Germans will get better gas mileage and have more modern tech, all the while being similarly quick in a straight line. I don't know... I just feel a lot more confident in this car than our BMW. That is something that isn't going to be on a spreadsheet. Oh and it is beautiful, so that helps lol.
Old 07-26-22, 09:13 AM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Yup. I think it's probably not for everyone though. EVs and modern turbocharged cars have a lot more low-end grunt, which, to your average driver, is going to feel way better than this V-6's mid-range torque. It's not totally lifeless at lower RPM, but it doesn't have that shove I get when I drive the wife's 330i for example. But, the handling and comfort are really great in this class, particularly the seating position. Even when I first test-drove it, the seat just felt right. Nice and low without being a chore to get in and out.

The thing is, Lexus really nailed all the intangibles and the enthusiast-y things about this car, but it's dated in many other ways. The infotainment is the most obvious. But if you want a comfortable daily driver to occasionally go enjoy on a back road, this is a good one. If you are just going to the grocery store and back, maybe not so much - the Germans will get better gas mileage and have more modern tech, all the while being similarly quick in a straight line. I don't know... I just feel a lot more confident in this car than our BMW. That is something that isn't going to be on a spreadsheet. Oh and it is beautiful, so that helps lol.
For me it's not fully about power or speed, because the IS is not the fastest kid on the block, we all know that. And it doesn't have a lot of the modern tech that the Germans have. And that's why I love it. It's tried, true simple that works. And you cannot break this thing, it's got a solid engine and transmission. And when things do break, it's not that expensive to fix.

I've driven a few turbo 4's and TT V6's, and although the low end grunt really gives a lot of advantages, I still prefer in an ICE application an NA you have to rev out, it just feels more natural. For low end grunt, I prefer EV's due to the instant torque which no turbo can match.

The last reason I love the IS...they go easily 200K plus on the original engine and transmission if you maintain them. And if you want to turn it into a track car, $3K or $4K in mods will get you there
Old 07-26-22, 10:14 AM
Margate330
Lexus Test Driver

For me it's not fully about power or speed, because the IS is not the fastest kid on the block, we all know that.
That's what I think too.
Maybe it's all relative.

To me my MB CL500 was a fast car but to others running 500hp plus they would laugh at that.
I like the Lexus IS for a small 2nd car maybe but would want the bigger engine since from what I see people beat the heck out of them ricer style and afraid of getting one that's tore up and abused.

/////////

Where's OP, still on vacation > ???
Been waiting for updates on other thread and don't remember if he took the Pacifica or the MB.
Thinking the MB is a whole lot more highway friendly and comfortable.
My RX330 is not that comforable after a few hours on highway even with the multi adjustable seats.

Quick Reply: General Car Conversation