Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

General Car Conversation

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-22, 10:00 AM
LeX2K
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,970 Likes on 2,502 Posts

Camry TRD is one of the ugliest Toyota's ever made IMO the thing is a styling travesty. This makes the rider crowd in the Walmart parking lot beet red with envy.

Old 07-28-22, 10:04 AM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Received 2,163 Likes on 1,683 Posts

Originally Posted by LeX2K
Camry TRD is one of the ugliest Toyota's ever made IMO the thing is a styling travesty. This makes the rider crowd in the Walmart parking lot beet red with envy.

Yeah, the wing and diffusers do scream RICER! They look they came from Ebay.....that's why I would buy the XSE
Striker223
Lexus Champion

Received 1,226 Likes on 911 Posts

Originally Posted by AMIRZA786
My morning commute was pretty uninteresting until someone in a Camry TRD pulled besides me at the light. I saw him previously zig zagging around other cars, so I said why not. Pulled on him at the light and saw him try to catch up. At the next light was complete proof that having too much power (what is it, 301 hp?) in a FWD platform without at least an LSD is pretty silly as he was having trouble getting going with the combo tire spin, torque steer and the nannies kicking in. Left him way behind and after hitting 60 I slowed back down. He eventually shot past me going over 70, and I was back to my boring morning commute.

I will say the TRD Camry is a nice looking Camry, Especially this one in bright red, but I would rather just spend a little more and get an IS350. If I were to buy another Camry, it would probably just be an XSE V6 in grey or silver
It's uncontrollable for sure, FWD just doesn't put power down well at all in any situation unless you bolt a bunch of aids on it like a type R
1111GS

Received 93 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by Hoovey689
I'd wager it's because base to base the 2.0 in the Mercedes has to work harder, and the X5 40i with the B58 I6 is about as good as an I6 out there for both performance and efficiency (even more so in the M340i). Officially by the numbers the BMW wins in the city and the Mercedes on the highway. More impressive is the BMW is 200lbs heavier and is within 2 mpg. In real world though you could definitely get mid to high 20's on the highway especially in Eco Mode.

GLE 350
2.0T I4
255hp
19/27
4608lbs

X5 40i
3.0T I6
335hp
21/25
4828lbs
IMO... unless the smaller engines put out similar performance specs, they should cost less fuel to operate?

Originally Posted by TangoRed
The GLE450 gets 20 city/25 hwy with its turbo I6, just for the sake of comparison.
Yeah a fair comparison should be between 450 and 40i because they both have 48v system and similar engine size. The published numbers seem to go hand in hand. Real life numbers on the other hand seem off. I've seen MB drivers reported lower numbers on both 350 and 450. I personally get much higher than published on my 40i. Mixed driving in Comfort is usually 24-25. Pure freeway would put out at least 28. I don't like ECO because it reduces AC output. Lol. I just notice MB has one more gear. Could this be why GLE is a nicer/smoother for distance travelling?

Old 07-28-22, 10:09 AM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Striker223
It's uncontrollable for sure, FWD just doesn't put power down well at all in any situation unless you bolt a bunch of aids on it like a type R
Honda put a lot of work into preventing torque steer...one change like going to smaller tires and the torque steer is back. Because the 20" tires are harsh, a friend of mine went to 18" to get a more comfortable ride and torque steer was now present, but he didn't really care because he doesn't take the car on the track
Old 07-28-22, 10:21 AM
TangoRed
Lead Lap

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by 1111GS
Yeah a fair comparison should be between 450 and 40i because they both have 48v system and similar engine size. The published numbers seem to go hand in hand. Real life numbers on the other hand seem off. I've seen MB drivers reported lower numbers on both 350 and 450. I personally get much higher than published on my 40i. Mixed driving in Comfort is usually 24-25. Pure freeway would put out at least 28. I don't like ECO because it reduces AC output. Lol. I just notice MB has one more gear. Could this be why GLE is a nicer/smoother for distance travelling?
Yeah that goes back to my earlier comment in this thread. I have found that recent BMWs are just simply fantastic when it comes efficiency compared to EPA ratings, where the MB's I've owned have either hit the ratings or been slightly under.
Old 07-28-22, 10:28 AM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

Honda put a lot of work into preventing torque steer...one change like going to smaller tires and the torque steer is back. Because the 20" tires are harsh, a friend of mine went to 18" to get a more comfortable ride and torque steer was now present, but he didn't really care because he doesn't take the car on the track
Really? I would have not expected a uniform side to side change like that to throw it off
Old 07-28-22, 10:47 AM
LeX2K
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,970 Likes on 2,502 Posts

Old 07-28-22, 10:59 AM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Really? I would have not expected a uniform side to side change like that to throw it off
When the 10th gen Type R came out I read an article on how Honda specifically setup the type R to prevent or at least mitigate it, which has to do with the steering axis scrub radius. an integral part of the design is the 20' tires. Go to a smaller tire size, you throw the design off. When I drove it, it wasn't noticeable but probably doing a launch on a dragstrip would be more noticeable
Old 07-28-22, 11:33 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by arentz07
IMO, the Camry is arguably a better daily, even as a TRD, but then again, I've heard the suspension is a little firm. I agree though, it sounds appealing and looks not-bad as well. I'm glad they didn't go off the deep end with the styling.

I hate to say it, but the V-6 Camry has better power-to-weight than an IS, assuming the stated figures reflect reality. But power isn't everything, as you saw. FWD means it's traction-limited. My RWD IS 350 has absolutely no wheelspin on decent pavement in a straight line. Though, I would say 265-width rear tires might be overkill...
The Camry is the best selling sedan in the US for like 25 years or something like. makes a very good daily driver. Hard to argue against it. TRD is a huge profit machine for Toyota. Kinda remind of the Pontiac Grand Prix SSE in many ways.
Old 07-28-22, 11:56 AM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

When the 10th gen Type R came out I read an article on how Honda specifically setup the type R to prevent or at least mitigate it, which has to do with the steering axis scrub radius. an integral part of the design is the 20' tires. Go to a smaller tire size, you throw the design off. When I drove it, it wasn't noticeable but probably doing a launch on a dragstrip would be more noticeable
Interesting, well I was never the type to really like cars like that since it's trying to force a lot out of something that at the end of the day is just an econobox. It's not really any faster than my daily but you have to live with driving a civic day to day, plus a manual is a pain in traffic and requires more skill if you are trying to just go full type A lol!
Old 07-28-22, 12:44 PM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,280 Likes on 1,386 Posts

Originally Posted by SW17LS
4. Help new members understand how the forum works. When a new poster finds their way into the thread with a question that is better suited for its own topic in Car Chat or in a model specific thread, please help them by replying to their comment with a link to where they should post their question to get the most comprehensive responses, and report the post so moderators can review and potentially move their post to the right spot.
folks we’ve had a few new members wandering into this thread and the request above isn’t being observed. Please report the post and direct them to the right place.
Old 07-28-22, 12:48 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Interesting, well I was never the type to really like cars like that since it's trying to force a lot out of something that at the end of the day is just an econobox. It's not really any faster than my daily but you have to live with driving a civic day to day, plus a manual is a pain in traffic and requires more skill if you are trying to just go full type A lol!
I'm not a fan of smaller downsized turbocharged engines myself, but I have to say Honda did a good job on this one. The problem...it's still a Civic with Recaro seats and 20" tires. And I hate the boy racer look, except that everything is actually functional. And the price premium on these is just insane, a 2018 runs from $38K to $45K...and at the end of the day it's still a Civic. But if I was a collector with a decent budget, I would probably have one sitting in my garage

Last edited by AMIRZA786; 07-28-22 at 12:52 PM.
Old 07-28-22, 02:05 PM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,280 Likes on 1,386 Posts

Originally Posted by SW17LS
General Car Conversation thread guidelines (please read before posting)

The goal of this General Car Conversation thread is to provide an ongoing natural conversation about car related topics that ebbs and flows. The thread was requested by Club Lexus members to create a ‘general’ chat space for car related topics & tangents which allows continual conversation and will help keep other car chat threads on their more discrete and specific topics.

Posters should remember the following guidelines for posting in this thread:

2. Significant vehicle related posts should be posted as a new thread in the Car Chat forum. This includes industry news topics, new model releases, questions about car comparisons, vehicle reviews and other general topics that are likely to spawn a comprehensive and enjoyable on topic discussion. Use your judgement here, if you think something would make a good thread, create a new thread vs posting in here.

Please remember that the existence of this thread is predicated upon our ability to keep it clean and fun for everyone.
looks like this one needs a reminder post as well
Old 07-28-22, 02:13 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,741 Likes on 1,962 Posts

Let’s NOT make this thread another EV back and forth guys, we have plenty of them.

Quick Reply: General Car Conversation