Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

General Car Conversation

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-22, 04:47 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

I don't think the wood-tone siding is cheesy at all.....I like it.

But, then, again, unlike many of you, I'm of the generation where we grew up with that kind of trim on a lot of wagons, and it was simply a part of American wagon-design.

Old 09-15-22, 07:41 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 139 Likes on 113 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall

But, then, again, unlike many of you, I'm of the generation where we grew up with that kind of trim on a lot of wagons, and it was simply a part of American wagon-design.

My second company car was a new '73 Country Squire like this in medium blue. I was livin the dream.
Old 09-15-22, 07:45 PM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Received 223 Likes on 188 Posts

Identical to the car I spent lots of time in as a child going to Vols games every week, sitting in the very back of it, tailgating, etc. Being in it in all the game traffic. I do remember it being quite comfortable and my Aunt/Uncle lovvvvved it.

Old 09-15-22, 07:46 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by AJT123
Identical to the car I spent lots of time in as a child going to Vols games every week, sitting in the very back of it, tailgating, etc. Being in it in all the game traffic. I do remember it being quite comfortable and my Aunt/Uncle lovvvvved it.
That’s a nice vehicle. Wood looks good
Old 09-15-22, 07:54 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by LexBob2
My second company car was a new '73 Country Squire like this in medium blue. I was livin the dream.
Well, then, this should bring back some of those memories. Here you go...........

Old 09-15-22, 10:37 PM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

Received 1,234 Likes on 918 Posts

I wood prefer a green paint to go with the paneling but other than that it looks great IMO, doesn't clash with the spirt of the car if you ask me.

Silver is my favorite color though so no wood for me on that car, just euro style paint match please lol!
Old 09-16-22, 12:22 AM
Margate330
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,018 Likes on 810 Posts

I'm on a posting spree, why not. lol

Originally Posted by Lwerewolf
Here's the problem :P
Maybe so and would like to hear everyone's thoughts on that and it might be worthy of a new thread to discuss whether or not driving a car too little will kill the engine.
"Regarding my ex's Honda Civic blowing a head gasket at 99,800 miles, "

Saw this in the flesh today. Thoughts? I don’t think it looks bad but I wouldn’t choose the wood paneling. I grew up going to Vols games riding in an ollllld one of these this color scheme, I will admit I do like how they brought it back.

All I can say is lolololol and.just one question, why?????

Originally Posted by TangoRed
Absolutely hideous
I'm with you on that, shhhh keeping it on the down low. lol

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
Brilliant ….
We have a fan!
Hey whatever people like is ok.

Originally Posted by LexBob2
That faux wood grain look is pretty cheesy. I can see what they are shooting for, but it isn't working here.
Cheese to the Maximus. haha

My grandparents had one of these and it was faded red with wood sides and in beater condition but I didn't care since it was supposed to be a gift to me for my first car at 16 and no longer would have to ride the bus.

My dad killed idea and told me NO! and said,"that jalopy eyesore will bring down the value of the whole neighbourhood.
In his defence it was old and in really bad condition and I still don't know what's worse- riding the bus or pulling up at school in grandmas car- I'm thinking "40 yr old virgin" and my dad did me a favour with the ladies. lol

Originally Posted by Striker223
Silver is my favorite color though so no wood for me on that car, just euro style paint match please lol!
I'd have to see it to believe it aka seeing our friend striker rolling in a woody.
That'll be the day. haha j/k
Old 09-16-22, 05:34 AM
tex2670
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Saw this in the flesh today. Thoughts? I don’t think it looks bad but I wouldn’t choose the wood paneling. I grew up going to Vols games riding in an ollllld one of these this color scheme, I will admit I do like how they brought it back.

Ugh. That's awful. Any dealer offering that package should lose their franchise.
Old 09-16-22, 06:13 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,749 Likes on 1,966 Posts

Not a factory option lol

Shocker lol

Wood paneling stickers on cars is something that can be dead lol
Old 09-16-22, 06:38 AM
tex2670
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by SW17LS
Shocker lol

Wood paneling stickers on cars is something that can be dead lol
Right up there with wide white walls, and a big spare tire with wire chrome wheels on the back of the trunk. These features are great for nostalgia at the local Cruise Nite, but times and styles change for a reason.
Old 09-16-22, 06:46 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by tex2670
Right up there with wide white walls, and a big spare tire with wire chrome wheels on the back of the trunk. These features are great for nostalgia at the local Cruise Nite, but times and styles change for a reason.
Yep, continental spares! haha
Old 09-16-22, 07:04 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by Margate330

We have a fan!
Hey whatever people like is ok.

I can find something interesting in almost any car. I think it’s brilliant as the owner did this and got someone to take a pic, post it, have folks on her comment and even get some to be strongly opposed. It’s just for fun!!!

I saw this today. Never knew it was a hybrid. I figured it was an early 90s Honda. But it’s not

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 09-16-22 at 07:18 AM.
Old 09-17-22, 08:21 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

So updates on a couple things:

My assistant's CR-V. As I suspected, the dealer did in fact add the new oil without draining the old oil. They won't admit to it, but they towed it for free, gave him a free loaner, "redid the service from Monday" and replaced all the spark plugs...for free. So here's the question, @Striker223 what kind of long term issues can this cause? I hate to see him get screwed...

My car and the coolant loss. I finally got aorund to taking the covers off and looking at the coolant resevoir, and clearly the cap is not sealing. Based on what others have said on MBWorld this has happened to a couple people. It was only slightly low, so I added some distilled water and now I no longer get the warning. I will bring it up at the 30K A Service and have them replace the cap.

Pics:

Old 09-17-22, 08:53 AM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

Received 1,234 Likes on 918 Posts

Originally Posted by SW17LS
So updates on a couple things:

My assistant's CR-V. As I suspected, the dealer did in fact add the new oil without draining the old oil. They won't admit to it, but they towed it for free, gave him a free loaner, "redid the service from Monday" and replaced all the spark plugs...for free. So here's the question, @Striker223 what kind of long term issues can this cause? I hate to see him get screwed...

My car and the coolant loss. I finally got aorund to taking the covers off and looking at the coolant resevoir, and clearly the cap is not sealing. Based on what others have said on MBWorld this has happened to a couple people. It was only slightly low, so I added some distilled water and now I no longer get the warning. I will bring it up at the 30K A Service and have them replace the cap.

Pics:

Okay good, that's not that bad. I would replace the cap quickly if you can though since that is important for the system to come up to operating pressure and suppress micro-flash off in the heads. The system pressure prevents localized hot zones from flashing off, if you don't drive it hard likely never an issue but any of the 4.0TT engines are high strung by definition.....

As far as that oil screw up they should also replace his ENTIRE PCV system at the very minimum. I would also want to make damn sure that the oil didn't froth/aerate to the point the system was picking up air to some extent, it may appear to be okay and then one day you get a "freak" rod knock. That's embarrassing they missed that, it was also clearly bad enough to disrupt the intake air charge to the point of shutdown.

I would personally be beyond irate.
Old 09-17-22, 10:26 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Yeah I’m going to go ahead and order a new cap and just replace it myself.

Yeah I will pass that on. I told him I would go with him to help him deal with them if he wants me to.

I just can’t believe they did that!

Quick Reply: General Car Conversation