Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

General Car Conversation

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-22, 08:04 AM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,617 Likes on 1,031 Posts

Unfortunately, I think a lot of shops will quote it that they can repair it rather than replace it, either out of optimism or to keep the initial quote down low. Then, once they actually get into it, start removing pieces, ect. they find more and more than needs to be replaced and the costs go up. But I am with you, I would not want a repaired tailgate.
Old 09-28-22, 08:30 AM
TangoRed
Lead Lap

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by AJT123
I went to the best place in town after deciding against Lexus because I don’t want a repaired tailgate.

The first thing he said was “I’m replacing that tailgate, they are insane to want to repair and NOT replace. Look how the whole panel curves. No way that wouldn’t be a replacement.” He pointed out weatherstripping that got damaged…he was 1000000% more thorough. He thinks there might be damage behind the bumper cover that he’s going to check,‘not frame damage. His estimate came in at $3800 (vs $4500 at Lexus Collision) but it will end up being a lot more. First week of November! Look at that tailgate and tell me you wouldn’t want a replacement…
I'm jealous, first week of November isn't bad at all! I would've killed to just have a month wait lol. Glad you got it to someone who cares.
Old 09-28-22, 09:07 AM
jer
Instructor

Received 97 Likes on 74 Posts

Just curious, did the damage follow through to the inside of the tailgate? I ask as I had a similar issue with my RX last year when I was hit. Busted out the tail lights, creased the entire back panel & cracked the bumper. Ended up getting a new rear bumper but the interior of the tailgate was fine & still worked perfectly so they only replaced the rear panel & lights. Also was able to keep the rear glass and so far no issues. Was done by a non-Lexus repair shop with a lifetime guarantee and was one of the companies referred by my insurance company.
Old 09-28-22, 09:34 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

I went to the best place in town after deciding against Lexus because I don’t want a repaired tailgate.

The first thing he said was “I’m replacing that tailgate, they are insane to want to repair and NOT replace. Look how the whole panel curves. No way that wouldn’t be a replacement.” He pointed out weatherstripping that got damaged…he was 1000000% more thorough. He thinks there might be damage behind the bumper cover that he’s going to check,‘not frame damage. His estimate came in at $3800 (vs $4500 at Lexus Collision) but it will end up being a lot more. First week of November! Look at that tailgate and tell me you wouldn’t want a replacement…

I just looked up your parts. I can see why Lexus/Toyota does not watch to replace. The lower tailgate while it seem basic, it really is not. My guess, parts alone....$2000-$3000 minimum before assembly of just the lower tailgate panel.. You have lights in there. Wiring. I believe the lower part is motorized. Then there are all the little parts such as a damper/hinge, interior part. The motorized latch... All the rubber seals. Expensive repair. Part comes from Japan too.. I highly doubt Toyota USA has that colour and part in stock...or all the extra parts.
Old 09-28-22, 10:23 AM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Received 219 Likes on 184 Posts

Originally Posted by JDR76
Unfortunately, I think a lot of shops will quote it that they can repair it rather than replace it, either out of optimism or to keep the initial quote down low. Then, once they actually get into it, start removing pieces, ect. they find more and more than needs to be replaced and the costs go up. But I am with you, I would not want a repaired tailgate.
I'm sure Lexus would have done a good enough job, but they wouldn't replace it. IDK why I didn't go to where I went first, I/family has used them before. The guy was so thorough, he pointed out the natural downward curve of the tailgate along with the damage to explain why it will be replaced vs. repaired. Not to mention resale value, though I'll never sell it but still. Not to mention it actually gets used and sat on, the integrity is all messed up now. Replace.

Originally Posted by TangoRed
I'm jealous, first week of November isn't bad at all! I would've killed to just have a month wait lol. Glad you got it to someone who cares.
Yeah lol they are 5 minutes literally from my house, too. It's a local business, and this guy has the last name of the place that I spoke with.

Originally Posted by jer
Just curious, did the damage follow through to the inside of the tailgate? I ask as I had a similar issue with my RX last year when I was hit. Busted out the tail lights, creased the entire back panel & cracked the bumper. Ended up getting a new rear bumper but the interior of the tailgate was fine & still worked perfectly so they only replaced the rear panel & lights. Also was able to keep the rear glass and so far no issues. Was done by a non-Lexus repair shop with a lifetime guarantee and was one of the companies referred by my insurance company.
Interior is totally fine and intact. Don't hesitate to tell insurance companies "no", you have the right to send your car wherever. I went with insurance when I did almost the same thing with my LS430 rear bumper and they did a fantastic job, though. But I like to pick my own place.

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
I just looked up your parts. I can see why Lexus/Toyota does not watch to replace. The lower tailgate while it seem basic, it really is not. My guess, parts alone....$2000-$3000 minimum before assembly of just the lower tailgate panel.. You have lights in there. Wiring. I believe the lower part is motorized. Then there are all the little parts such as a damper/hinge, interior part. The motorized latch... All the rubber seals. Expensive repair. Part comes from Japan too.. I highly doubt Toyota USA has that colour and part in stock...or all the extra parts.
Correct, he said basically what you just did. He also pointed out exposed wires or block things, fuse things right behind the taillight where it's broken....IDK what they are, but he pointed at them because they're exposed now and said those will be replaced too.. At least the lights work and it's still perfectly drivable--it is walk of shamey to drive a wrecked nice car but oh well, it looks like I was rear ended so not my fault like it was lol. Plus I just have to have my driving time in my truck. He did say expect it to be dragged out with the insurance (but ultimately fine) but I've got the time and another free car while it's there.
Old 09-28-22, 10:33 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

I

Correct, he said basically what you just did. He also pointed out exposed wires or block things, fuse things right behind the taillight where it's broken....IDK what they are, but he pointed at them because they're exposed now and said those will be replaced too.. At least the lights work and it's still perfectly drivable--it is walk of shamey to drive a wrecked nice car but oh well, it looks like I was rear ended so not my fault like it was lol. Plus I just have to have my driving time in my truck. He did say expect it to be dragged out with the insurance (but ultimately fine) but I've got the time and another free car while it's there.
If they replace the gate.. $10,000 fix. easy

Originally Posted by JDR76
I have no idea how exactly the insurance industry operates. But, I doubt the insurance company will approve a full replace if there are other places offering a repair. I also think the insurer determines where to repair and replace and if the owner decided to do it at their place, then out of pocket costs might be involved.

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 09-28-22 at 10:52 AM.
Old 09-28-22, 11:01 AM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

If they replace the gate.. $10,000 fix. easy
Agreed.

I have no idea how exactly the insurance industry operates. But, I doubt the insurance company will approve a full replace if there are other places offering a repair. I also think the insurer determines where to repair and replace and if the owner decided to do it at their place, then out of pocket costs might be involved.
The shops and insurance companies negotiate and hassle with one another, happens all the time and with most of the claims actually. He said nothing will be a problem, but he's gonna have one hell of a "Supplement list" to send Safeco, which is also standard procedure. What I'm saying is I don't care if that makes the repair take 2 extra weeks or whatever, I have my LS430 to drive. Bottom line is I pay to have that truck fixed to perfection if wrecked and the insurance is gonna pony up. I don't want some fully of putty janky-azz tailgate on my 10/10 condition truck. Once this is fixed there will literally be not one single teeny time blemish at ALL on the exterior. I'm doing a hell of a ceramic when the time is right.

Last edited by AJT123; 09-28-22 at 11:05 AM.
Old 10-02-22, 09:05 AM
TriC
Racer

Received 267 Likes on 201 Posts

It is amazing that any competent body shop would suggest repairing that tailgate.

I don't see a 10k repair bill though.

Hope you get a good paint match (silver can be difficult)!

Old 10-02-22, 09:20 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,741 Likes on 1,962 Posts

Smart move finding a place that will replace the tailgate! Needs to be replaced.

Originally Posted by mmarshall
What were you doing in Orlando? Another trip to Disney World for the kids? If so, I wouldn't complain about having an extra $250 in your pocket...at Disney World, you'll need it, particularly with a family. Also keep in mind that a Suburban is an Escalade with a little less bling and sound-insulation. And the wheels on an Escalade can get out of line as easily as a Suburban, particularly now that GM no longer uses a fixed, durable live-axle in rear for their big truck-based SUVs.
Yep, Disney. I’m on the plane back right now. We survived the hurricane! That was an experience.

The point was I wanted to sample the Escalade for a week lol. Then when I saw that they had given me a GLS450 I was like great, I’ll sample that for a week! Oh well.

I actually really liked the Suburban, but it is so huge…still less room inside than my Pacifica!
Old 10-02-22, 04:34 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by SW17LS
Smart move finding a place that will replace the tailgate! Needs to be replaced.

Yep, Disney. I’m on the plane back right now. We survived the hurricane! That was an experience.

The point was I wanted to sample the Escalade for a week lol. Then when I saw that they had given me a GLS450 I was like great, I’ll sample that for a week! Oh well.

I actually really liked the Suburban, but it is so huge…still less room inside than my Pacifica!

Glad you got through Ian OK. Many others didn't.

Even though there is plenty of room for your family, and a huge towing capacity, I don't think you would like the Suburban/Yukon/Escalade, particularly the long-wheelbase versions, for everyday use....particularly when shopping and/or having to park in tight spaces. They have the maneuverability of a dinosaur......and might not even fit in your garage with the ultra-tall roof. And they have a strong reputation for guzzling gas.

That's where I'm spoiled with my Encore GX....even though it is tall, I can easily park it in almost any reasonable space.

Last edited by mmarshall; 10-02-22 at 06:59 PM.
Old 10-02-22, 04:47 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Yeah no, no way a Suburban or a Yukon would make sense for us. As soon as we got back in the Pacifica that was Very clear. I hate that van but you can’t deny they are great vehicles.
Old 10-02-22, 06:33 PM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

Received 1,226 Likes on 911 Posts

Yeah no, no way a Suburban or a Yukon would make sense for us. As soon as we got back in the Pacifica that was Very clear. I hate that van but you can’t deny they are great vehicles.
The minivan is the peak automotive functional format. I hate them, but they are the "best"
Old 10-02-22, 06:34 PM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

I bet the Suburban is wayyyyyy more fun to drive but yes about the space vs a van your point stands for sure.
Old 10-03-22, 05:09 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

I bet the Suburban is wayyyyyy more fun to drive but yes about the space vs a van your point stands for sure.
"Fun to drive" is relative. Nothing fun to drive about the Suburban, if anything the Pacifica is sportier and more responsive. But I appreciate the solidity and quality of the Suburban, and I like the driving experience much more.
Old 10-03-22, 09:14 AM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

. Nothing fun to drive about the Suburban, if anything the Pacifica is sportier and more responsive. But I appreciate the solidity and quality of the Suburban, and I like the driving experience much more.
Lol I know what you mean but what you're saying is kind of contradictory, no?

I hear what you're saying, a Suburban won't get your pulse going but they are nice driving vehicles. I'd gladly DD one. That 6.2 is a great V8. And like you said, they are solid feeling and solid truck overall. Great seating position and seats.

Quick Reply: General Car Conversation