Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

General Car Conversation

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-22, 02:24 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,741 Likes on 1,962 Posts
Default General Car Conversation

General Car Conversation thread guidelines (please read before posting)

The goal of this General Car Conversation thread is to provide an ongoing natural conversation about car related topics that ebbs and flows. The thread was requested by Club Lexus members to create a ‘general’ chat space for car related topics & tangents which allows continual conversation and will help keep other car chat threads on their more discrete and specific topics.

Posters should remember the following guidelines for posting in this thread:

1. Please keep the conversation related to motor vehicles in some way. Topics might delve into car financing, garages, detailing, and other car-related topics but personal (non car-related) conversations should go to PM or be posted in the Clubhouse forum.

2. Significant vehicle related posts should be posted as a new thread in the Car Chat forum. This includes industry news topics, new model releases, questions about car comparisons, vehicle reviews and other general topics that are likely to spawn a comprehensive and enjoyable on topic discussion. Use your judgement here, if you think something would make a good thread, create a new thread vs posting in here.

3. Lexus model specific questions should be posted in the appropriate model specific forum, not here.

4. Help new members understand how the forum works. When a new poster finds their way into the thread with a question that is better suited for its own topic in Car Chat or in a model specific thread, please help them by replying to their comment with a link to where they should post their question to get the most comprehensive responses, and report the post so moderators can review and potentially move their post to the right spot.

5. Remember that the CL rules of conduct still apply within this thread. Refrain from name calling, rude or offensive posts, flamebaiting, political or religious discussions and overwhelmingly dominating the conversation. Refusal to respect those rules could result in you being asked not to participate in the thread any longer. As a reminder, those rules are located here.

6. Once the conversation has naturally moved on from a topic, please respect that as you would any in person conversation and don’t try and drag it back where you want it to go.

7. When you are participating in other Car Chat threads, if the conversation begins to go off topic, please suggest that you and those who are involved take that conversation to this thread. It’s up to all of us to help keep the random car conversations here, and better maintain the topical continuity of the other car chat threads.

Please remember that the existence of this thread is predicated upon our ability to keep it clean and fun for everyone.
Old 06-06-22, 02:25 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Hey everybody! At long last here is the General Car Conversation Thread, please review the guidelines above and enjoy!

What did everybody do to their cars today?
Old 06-06-22, 02:26 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by SW17LS
Opened the sunroof on my car today as I drove into work.
Old 06-06-22, 02:27 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

I almost did the same thing today, I had to drive out to Annapolis to look at a property and being on and off the phone I would have had to keep closing it. Beautiful day here today.
Old 06-06-22, 02:30 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

I almost did the same thing today, I had to drive out to Annapolis to look at a property and being on and off the phone I would have had to keep closing it. Beautiful day here today.
‘So. Something I like about my Matrix, Corolla and 21 4R is that there a TWO buttons for the roof. One for the tilt part. One for the open part. Both separate. My 04 has one button that does double duty. Just something I don’t like

What does your Mercedes have or your Pacifier?
Old 06-06-22, 02:33 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

The Mercedes has two buttons but one is just for the rear sunshade which is kind of odd. The Pacifica has one for the sunshade and one for the glass. I like the two buttons for tilt/slide also
Old 06-06-22, 02:35 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

The Mercedes has two buttons but one is just for the rear sunshade which is kind of odd. The Pacifica has one for the sunshade and one for the glass. I like the two buttons for tilt/slide also
Strange. At leas the buttons aren’t embedded on the infotainment screen or something
Old 06-06-22, 03:06 PM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,617 Likes on 1,031 Posts

On the Tundra and the GS, it's two separate switches (one for tilt, one for sliding) but I think I would prefer one.

On the Highlander, the pano roof has a combo type switch for the tilt and slide function. Push it in for tilt, or pull it back/forward for sliding. It's very intuitive and easy to use. It has a separate for/aft switch for the power roof sunshade. I do like that.
Old 06-06-22, 03:16 PM
xjokerz
Racer

Received 69 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
Strange. At leas the buttons aren’t embedded on the infotainment screen or something
Oh that's coming. Trust me. I'm sure some brilliant executive out there thought of burying it in some screen.
Old 06-06-22, 03:22 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by xjokerz
Oh that's coming. Trust me. I'm sure some brilliant executive out there thought of burying it in some screen.
On the new Mercedes cars they are gesture controlled...so there are no buttons
Old 06-06-22, 03:25 PM
xjokerz
Racer

Received 69 Likes on 54 Posts

On the new Mercedes cars they are gesture controlled...so there are no buttons
Oh jeez. What do you do to open the roof? Lol
Old 06-06-22, 03:58 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

You swipe your hand backwards
Old 06-06-22, 04:06 PM
geko29
Super Moderator

Received 303 Likes on 233 Posts

Replaced the front brakes on the Q7 yesterday. $800 for parts, but I'll never have to pay for it again (FCP Euro FTW!), and even if that wasn't the case, it still beats $1500 at the dealer.
Old 06-06-22, 04:08 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

What?!?!?! Gesture control only, no physical buttons?!?! That is just stupid, I shut down the gesture nonsense in my BMWs right away, at least they have buttons.
Old 06-06-22, 04:13 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by geko29
Replaced the front brakes on the Q7 yesterday. $800 for parts, but I'll never have to pay for it again (FCP Euro FTW!), and even if that wasn't the case, it still beats $1500 at the dealer.
Wow thats great! I have heard about FCP Euro from the MB forums also...thats a great deal. They sell the magic vision control wiper blades too, $200 at the dealer, FCP sells them for $175 with lifetime replacements!

Quick Reply: General Car Conversation