Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

LX600 vs. Escalade vs. Navigator vs. Grand Wagoneer

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-22 | 04:55 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by patgilm
Not sure about the LX but on my GX it was a known thing for things to rust more than people liked so I wouldn’t feel comfortable driving around the salt water like that. Maybe the LX is better in this regard.
If I was worried about driving it around in the salt water, I would get something else.

I know people complain about surface rust, but surface rust is different than frame compromising rust.
Old 07-11-22 | 06:57 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

all this concern about the lx frame near sea water after we've heard forever about it being the 'do anything' and 'last forever' vehicle. if anything, i'd be more concerned about scratches from branches/bushes when driving off road on narrow paths.

if one is into off roading though, they shouldn't be concerned about any of this, just do it!
Old 07-11-22 | 07:02 PM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Is this a joke? Wait till it rains or take it to a car wash which I'm sure UZ did. Or even if he didn't who cares. A Lexus LX can handle sand and salt water for a day, lmao.
Old 07-11-22 | 07:08 PM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
all this concern about the lx frame near sea water after we've heard forever about it being the 'do anything' and 'last forever' vehicle. if anything, i'd be more concerned about scratches from branches/bushes when driving off road on narrow paths.

if one is into off roading though, they shouldn't be concerned about any of this, just do it!
I'm concerned about it, but that's what a 300k mile Jeep is for......4lo at redline on a 80% grade with zero regard for body damage is a hell of a thing vs freaking out over a bush.
Old 07-11-22 | 07:08 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by AJT123
Is this a joke? Wait till it rains or take it to a car wash which I'm sure UZ did. Or even if he didn't who cares. A Lexus LX can handle sand and salt water for a day, lmao.
Rain is not enough. You,have to really take care of your vehicle to prevent rust from starting. Once you get to 15-20 years, you really do t want it to start getting out of control. This would be for rust belt areas as the salt is not great for the frame
Old 07-11-22 | 08:25 PM
patgilm
Lead Lap

Since you are a used car buyer, while true it’s only surface rust and won’t harm anything short term, which would you buy, one with surface rust or the other without it? I would bet you would pick the one without the surface rust based on how meticulous you look over the cars you are buying.
Old 07-11-22 | 08:31 PM
Felix
Pole Position

Originally Posted by SW17LS
Thats not true of modern Toyota truck frames. 30 years ago, sure.

That is literally what this vehicle is for. If you can’t do that with it, then there’s no purpose in the trade offs you accept with that vehicle.
-More like the possibly the post 7-10 yrs for the Tundra's.......for the rust belt.
Old 07-11-22 | 08:32 PM
Felix
Pole Position

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
interesting comparison, and yeah, not surprised at the results.

Spoiler

So is that any surprise to you?
Old 07-11-22 | 10:29 PM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
Rain is not enough. You,have to really take care of your vehicle to prevent rust from starting. Once you get to 15-20 years, you really do t want it to start getting out of control. This would be for rust belt areas as the salt is not great for the frame
Right. I'm just saying though, UZ's fun in the salt water....his LX570 is going to be just fine. You of all people should know that lol.

Since you are a used car buyer, while true it’s only surface rust and won’t harm anything short term, which would you buy, one with surface rust or the other without it? I would bet you would pick the one without the surface rust based on how meticulous you look over the cars you are buying.
I only buy southern cars because I live here, why get a car that's had harsh winters ya know? Cause it won't have any in my possession. But in terms of an LX I would buy one with light surface rust underneath. Like someone else said that's different than a rusted frame. You can zeitbart it or whatever. But yes I'd pick the one without the surface rust.
Old 07-12-22 | 05:12 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Right. I'm just saying though, UZ's fun in the salt water....his LX570 is going to be just fine. You of all people should know that lol.
oh yeah. I agree. love that LX in the water there.
Old 07-12-22 | 07:47 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

But that begs the question, are you buying the car for your own enjoyment or preserving it for the next buyer?

As long as you flush it out afterwards, this is no issue. I thoroughly pressure wash both of my vehicles when I get back from the beach (on the beach now, and both vehicles are here, well in the parking lot lol) and I don’t drive on the beach. These vehicles are made for this use, being afraid to use them this way negates any reason for having bought this vehicle in the first place.

My old Explorer was driven on the beach many many times, and had no rust when it was hauled off at 20 years of age and 225,000 miles.
Old 07-12-22 | 07:57 AM
UZ214
Pole Position

I usually clean up, underbody and all every time I get back. Its fine, the salt water is not as bad as the salts on road as for some reason it gets sticks to car. (power wash everything down there - ha) I have onwed few LXs rust is never an issue, (some of them I bought used) surface rust is not a big deal.

I only buy southern cars because I live here, why get a car that's had harsh winters ya know? Cause it won't have any in my possession. But in terms of an LX I would buy one with light surface rust underneath. Like someone else said that's different than a rusted frame. You can zeitbart it or whatever. But yes I'd pick the one without the surface rust.
Old 07-12-22 | 08:14 AM
situman
Pole Position

Originally Posted by SW17LS
Thats not true of modern Toyota truck frames. 30 years ago, sure.

That is literally what this vehicle is for. If you can’t do that with it, then there’s no purpose in the trade offs you accept with that vehicle.
I'm sure its meant for more than driving on the beach/ocean.
Old 07-12-22 | 08:50 AM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by situman
Lol it is. Toyota put a button in the button area or whatever that disables the side curtain air bags.....because they assume you'll have it at that crazy of an angle off roading, to trick the airbag sensors and them deploy. That's a massive part of the appeal, even though I'll never of road it hard enough to hit that button.
Old 07-12-22 | 09:25 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by situman
Its an example of the “freedom to go and do what you want anywhere” that the vehicle is designed for.

Quick Reply: LX600 vs. Escalade vs. Navigator vs. Grand Wagoneer