Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Summer Road Trips

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-22, 11:29 AM
LH1
Instructor

Received 189 Likes on 99 Posts

Pretty modest plans here lol. Some spectacular pics here.

Going to visit a good friend that lives in Ashburn, VA for the 4th. In August I'm driving up to Boston to visit my sister.

​​​​​​
Originally Posted by SW17LS
then in August to the Pocanos.
Hope you guys have a great time. I have great memories of rafting/camping up there when we were kids.
Old 06-26-22, 02:00 PM
Margate330
Lexus Test Driver

Received 965 Likes on 770 Posts

Wife wants to go to Daytona Beach but I've already been there a few times and think there are much better beaches to go to.

She really likes the beaches on the Gulf Coast of Florida better than the east coast so I might take her to Captiva Island or somewhere on west coast.
Really don't think she will be impress with Daytona.
Old 06-26-22, 02:49 PM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Received 217 Likes on 182 Posts

Originally Posted by Margate330
Wife wants to go to Daytona Beach but I've already been there a few times and think there are much better beaches to go to.

She really likes the beaches on the Gulf Coast of Florida better than the east coast so I might take her to Captiva Island or somewhere on west coast.
Check out St. George Island. We hope to retire and/or buy a second home there.
Old 06-26-22, 03:00 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,723 Likes on 1,950 Posts

Just got back from the first trip, to NJ...we survived. Had our first car puke...luckily it was the Pacifica!
Old 06-26-22, 03:03 PM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Not trying to throw any OT subject in here but we'd just love to pack the truck with the dogs and head to Moab, but gas is too expensive. Dying to see the desert landscape again, and off road out in the open. But we'll wait until it doesn't cost double in gas money.
Old 06-26-22, 03:06 PM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Can't argue with that one. Glacier NP is (arguably) the most spectacular park in the country.

If you have not already driven it, do the Going to the Sun Highway...I don't think you will be disappointed.

Added this to our list, thanks. We are literally just going to hop in the truck and head west, and just see where we end up.
Old 06-27-22, 11:28 AM
1111GS

Received 91 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by Margate330

Why not Destin? The best beach I've been to my whole life. Some nearby beaches are also nice and more quiet but sand is not as white. Orange beach is also nice if you want to drive.
Old 06-27-22, 11:32 AM
1111GS

Received 91 Likes on 79 Posts

Aren't we supposed to post or talk about cars?
Originally Posted by AJT123
Not trying to throw any OT subject in here but we'd just love to pack the truck with the dogs and head to Moab, but gas is too expensive. Dying to see the desert landscape again, and off road out in the open. But we'll wait until it doesn't cost double in gas money.
Don't you wish you had some cars with better mpg? IMO though... just go.
Old 06-27-22, 12:26 PM
Margate330
Lexus Test Driver

Received 965 Likes on 770 Posts

Check out St. George Island. We hope to retire and/or buy a second home there.
Thank you ATJ123.
I looked it up and it's on the pan handle so it's too far for a short 3 day for me but I'm sure it's awesome.
Usually when I take a week off it't for visiting family but it is on my list to visit the pan handle, may even retire up there myself someday I hear it's nice.

Originally Posted by 1111GS
Why not Destin? The best beach I've been to my whole life. Some nearby beaches are also nice and more quiet but sand is not as white. Orange beach is also nice if you want to drive.
Thank you 1111GS.

The Destin area looks nice and remote but still too far for a quick getaway but I will visit that beach someday.
It's up on the west coast of FL and west of Ocala.

I'm down near Ft. Lauderdale and wife is looking at beaches within up to 2-3 hours from here.
We are not fans of Key West and weren't impressed when we went there and it's too long a drive.
Now she is looking at Ismoralda Key just south of the tip of Florida but that sounds expensive. lol
Old 06-27-22, 01:17 PM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Can't argue with that one. Glacier NP is (arguably) the most spectacular park in the country.

If you have not already driven it, do the Going to the Sun Highway...I don't think you will be disappointed.

Call me crazy but this looks exactly like the intro in The Shining.
Old 06-27-22, 08:02 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Call me crazy but this looks exactly like the intro in The Shining.

Good call. Yes, I think they did take that opening scene in the film on the Going to the Sun Road. It's hard to beat Glacier National Park for stunning scenery.
Old 06-27-22, 09:44 PM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by 1111GS
Aren't we supposed to post or talk about cars?

Don't you wish you had some cars with better mpg? IMO though... just go.
Nope. I'll wait a couple years when it will cost way less. We could afford a trip right now but I'm not paying these gas prices, I'll wait. Do I want anything but my naturally aspirated V8s? No. Besides, I'll be paying a fortune for boat gas money if it ever gets here, but that's fine. But yeah I can't wait to roam west.
Old 06-28-22, 12:31 AM
Jakerin
Instructor

Received 43 Likes on 34 Posts

Cheaper gas days but I’ll probably take it again. Spectacular riding area around the Park and around the entire NW corner of Montana into Idaho around Bonner’s Ferry via Eureka MT. Huckleberry shakes are just one reason to visit the area!

Old 06-29-22, 09:41 AM
arentz07
drives cars

Received 3,744 Likes on 1,904 Posts

My wife and I, along with a few friends, rented a house in Orlando and visited Universal and Disney last week! We also went to Daytona Beach for an afternoon, which was great. We took the BMW, and it was about 9 hours from the Atlanta area to our rental.

I don't have many car photos, but I do have this one. My friend recently got a Chrysler 300, which happens to be a similar color to our 330i! Here they are parked in front of our rental.

Old 06-29-22, 09:46 AM
FrankReynoldsCPA
Lexus Test Driver

Received 95 Likes on 67 Posts

Haven't really planned anything this summer, but last year I travelled to the south rim of the Grand Canyon and then a few weeks later to Durango, Colorado.

Was thinking about driving up the PCH this year but with gas prices the way they are(especially in Cali), decided to postpone that one.

Quick Reply: Summer Road Trips