Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Summer Road Trips

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-22, 10:01 AM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Received 217 Likes on 182 Posts

Originally Posted by BrettJacks
Haven't really planned anything this summer, but last year I travelled to the south rim of the Grand Canyon and then a few weeks later to Durango, Colorado.

Was thinking about driving up the PCH this year but with gas prices the way they are(especially in Cali), decided to postpone that one.
Lots of us are postponing trips it seems. It really shows just how bad this truly is. I would love nothing more than to get in the truck and just head west but forget it, not until prices drop.
Old 06-29-22, 10:31 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,723 Likes on 1,950 Posts

Originally Posted by arentz07
My wife and I, along with a few friends, rented a house in Orlando and visited Universal and Disney last week! We also went to Daytona Beach for an afternoon, which was great. We took the BMW, and it was about 9 hours from the Atlanta area to our rental.
Fun! Was Doc Brown out for pictures near the DeLorean? He often is
Old 06-29-22, 11:58 AM
arentz07
drives cars

Received 3,744 Likes on 1,904 Posts

Originally Posted by SW17LS
Fun! Was Doc Brown out for pictures near the DeLorean? He often is
We were on our way to grab food from Krusty Burger (which... big mistake to do that this time of year - we were in line to order for over 30 minutes!), so we didn't stick around to find out if he was. I would like to get a photo with him when we go back!

It was incredibly hot and humid, which caused us to do things like the above. We cut our park days short just out of exhaustion. At Disney, we were out of there before 4 PM, though we had been there since about 9:30 AM. The weather was really the worst part of the whole thing... upper 90's and high humidity the whole time. Not only that, but the air conditioner in the rental (Airbnb) broke after our first night there. Luckily they fixed it, but only after we had to spend a night in an 80+ degree house! Throw in some flying termites and a roof leak, and we managed to get a full refund - so essentially staying in a 5-bedroom house for 5 nights for free.. but man, it was miserable in there until they fixed the A/C. We really wanted to leave, but it was tough to find anything that could accommodate 10 people on short notice.

The good news is, no Airbnb can completely ruin an Orlando vacay, so we still had a great time overall. It was really special for my wife, since she had never been to Orlando, let alone Disney and Universal, and it was both her birthday that week as well as my friend with the Chrysler above. (That's the main reason we went.)
Old 06-29-22, 12:42 PM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

How much all in for a family of 4 to park, enter, and eat/drink at Disney World for a day? A grand?
Old 06-29-22, 12:52 PM
arentz07
drives cars

Originally Posted by AJT123
How much all in for a family of 4 to park, enter, and eat/drink at Disney World for a day? A grand?
I would budget $1k to be safe, especially if you want to eat multiple times and especially at a table service location or two.

IIRC, an adult ticket for one park was somewhere just south of $200? So add food and parking (which was $20 per day per vehicle), and yeah... $1k easily. You could be cheap.

We ate at Skipper Canteen, which was over $120 for two people with two cocktails, an appetizer, and a main course (no dessert). There were more expensive things on the menu. There are also a lot more affordable food options there at the parks, but mostly places that don't have actual seating let alone air conditioning. You get what you pay for. It was awesome to eat at that spot though. I wish I had taken the time to do some food photography for that one. If you're going to go endure the lines and the walking to be in the parks, I would highly recommend doing table service for at least one of the meals. It's a unique experience and is much more relaxing. Just make sure to join the wait list early, or make a reservation.

Old 06-29-22, 01:40 PM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

I would budget $1k to be safe, especially if you want to eat multiple times and especially at a table service location or two.

IIRC, an adult ticket for one park was somewhere just south of $200? So add food and parking (which was $20 per day per vehicle), and yeah... $1k easily. You could be cheap.
These people are filthy rich so it doesn't really matter, but they go to Hawaii for 2 weeks with their kids every year....it's apparently cheaper for 2 weeks in Hawaii than one week at Disney.
Old 06-29-22, 01:54 PM
arentz07
drives cars

Originally Posted by AJT123
These people are filthy rich so it doesn't really matter, but they go to Hawaii for 2 weeks with their kids every year....it's apparently cheaper for 2 weeks in Hawaii than one week at Disney.
I could believe it. The resort prices in particular can get exorbitant for Deluxe resorts. I think that partly explains the rise in popularity of renting out vacation homes on Airbnb in the area. While not cheap, let's face it - they are still thousands less than staying on Disney property - or even Universal property, really. Even without the resorts, park tickets are no joke.
Old 06-29-22, 02:17 PM
patgilm
Lead Lap

Received 285 Likes on 202 Posts

That sounds about right. We are heading down there this Friday and it isn’t cheap and Disney is starting to nickel and dime you if you want to ride some of the more popular rides by charging $15 per person to ride. My wife booked a dinner one night at one of the restaurants in the park which costs about $300 for four of us.
Old 06-29-22, 02:30 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Summer in Orlando is BRUTAL. We go 2 times a year, we’re going back in September. I’ve been in August and it’s just horrible.

Disney is really expensive, but we own DVC (their timeshare) so at least the lodging was paid for long ago (spent about $45,000). Right now you can’t get annual passes, but when we could we had them and they ran about $2,800. Now it costs about $2,000 per trip because we have to buy tickets. So to go down for us for 6 days (about what we go each trip) it costs about $5,000 excluding the airfare and the car, just tickets and food. That’s with no lodging cost.

The nickel and dining is real. Now we pay for after hours parties and genie + and lightning lane.

Food is actually not TERRIBLE. I was just at Sesame Place in PA and a hot dog was $13. Just a hot dog. No chips or drink. Disney is nowhere near that expensive.
Old 06-29-22, 05:06 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by SW17LS
Summer in Orlando is BRUTAL.
No arguments there. The problem with Orlando is that it is inland, in the center of the state, where you get that fiercely high sun-angle in the summer, but you are too far from the coast to get any cooling sea-breeze effects or afternoon thunderstorms to cool it off. And humidity is likewise awful throughout the state.

Food is actually not TERRIBLE. I was just at Sesame Place in PA and a hot dog was $13. Just a hot dog. No chips or drink. Disney is nowhere near that expensive.
Food and Drink (and sometimes gas) is probably going to be a rip-off anywhere you have a well-used tourist-trap. At least they're being Frank about the hot-dog-prices.

Many years ago, I spent a summer in Austin, TX, which probably had comparable temperatures to Orlando, but, being more or less on the borderline between the humid and drier parts of TX, the humidity wasn't as bad as FL.

Last edited by mmarshall; 06-29-22 at 05:09 PM.
Old 06-29-22, 06:02 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by mmarshall
No arguments there. The problem with Orlando is that it is inland, in the center of the state, where you get that fiercely high sun-angle in the summer, but you are too far from the coast to get any cooling sea-breeze effects or afternoon thunderstorms to cool it off. And humidity is likewise awful throughout the state.
Yeah there is very rarely ever any sort of breeze, its very still. Then you get the afternoon thunderstorm every day which just leaves it even muggier.

At least they're being Frank about the hot-dog-prices.
I see what you did there lol