Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Summer Road Trips

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-22, 08:06 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,723 Likes on 1,950 Posts
Default Summer Road Trips

Here’s a fun thread idea, what does everybody have planned this summer in terms of road trips?

We’re headed to NJ tomorrow, I’m headed to WV the following weekend, the next weekend to the beach, then after that I’m headed back to WV, then in August to the Pocanos. Going to be on the road a lot this summer enjoying those low low gas prices.

What does everybody else have planned?
Old 06-22-22, 08:10 PM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

Received 1,204 Likes on 893 Posts

We already went on our "pilgrimage" to berryville AR this year and we usually head down to Florida near the end of summer as our standard trips. There is also a shoot in Youngstown we go to every year and if everyone is free we go to pigeon forge TN and rent out a 3 floor cabin for a week.

New Years also has a trip but location varies
Old 06-22-22, 08:24 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Maybe (?) to the Blue Ridge/Skyline Drive. Always was, and always will be, my favorite road in the Eastern U.S.

Old 06-22-22, 09:32 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Received 2,103 Likes on 1,635 Posts

In mid July we are going to be camping in Sequoia National park and Kings canyon national park meeting up family members from SoCal. We are also going to be visiting my aunt who lives in a small rural town in the foothills near the two national parks called Three Rivers. To get out of sleeping in a tent, my wife pushed me to book one of many the lodges (turning our camping into glamping) but all the lodges are booked straight through mid September... So no such luck! Sleeping in a tent it is
Old 06-22-22, 10:18 PM
patgilm
Lead Lap

Received 285 Likes on 202 Posts

Only road trip for me this year is Outer Banks, N.C. And it will be the second long road trip in the X7 since we got it. We are going to Orlando next week and in December but we are flying. Would’ve loved to drive down there one time but I have a feeling in theory it would be fun but in reality, not so much.
Old 06-23-22, 12:22 AM
Jakerin
Instructor

Received 43 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by AMIRZA786
In mid July we are going to be camping in Sequoia National park and Kings canyon national park meeting up family members from SoCal. We are also going to be visiting my aunt who lives in a small rural town in the foothills near the two national parks called Three Rivers. To get out of sleeping in a tent, my wife pushed me to book one of many the lodges (turning our camping into glamping) but all the lodges are booked straight through mid September... So no such luck! Sleeping in a tent it is
I ride up there often. Beautiful!

Old 06-23-22, 12:31 AM
Jakerin
Instructor

Received 43 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by SW17LS
Here’s a fun thread idea, what does everybody have planned this summer in terms of road trips?

We’re headed to NJ tomorrow, I’m headed to WV the following weekend, the next weekend to the beach, then after that I’m headed back to WV, then in August to the Pocanos. Going to be on the road a lot this summer enjoying those low low gas prices.

What does everybody else have planned?
Not sure I’ll take the car because I figured a 3,000 mile trip @ 40 mpg would cost $450 if gas was $6 per. Even at my Lexus Best mpg @ 27.5, a 3,000 miler would cost about $655! My newest bike, an ‘18, averages 46+ mpg so the cost then would only be $390. Not food, not lodging, just fuel. Either way, if I make it to my favorite place, Glacier NP in NW Montana, it’s gonna be expen$ive.
Old 06-23-22, 05:20 AM
Tritonal
Pit Crew

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

In August, my wife and I will be going to Yosemite for some hiking. We want to hike and climb to the top of Half Dome, but there's a lottery... so not very likely we'd be able to since only about 300 people per day can go up. It'll be about a 5 hour drive, so should be pretty interesting as I haven't done a long road trip since last year. Been traveling a lot this year, but all those times have been on a plane.

Old 06-23-22, 06:05 AM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by Striker223
We already went on our "pilgrimage" to berryville AR this year and we usually head down to Florida near the end of summer as our standard trips. There is also a shoot in Youngstown we go to every year and if everyone is free we go to pigeon forge TN and rent out a 3 floor cabin for a week.

New Years also has a trip but location varies
I drove down to TN last year and we stayed in Gatlinburg and visited Pigeon Forge.
Also explored the Smoky Mountains and did Tail of the Dragon - amazing place! Definitely will be going back soon.
Old 06-23-22, 07:04 AM
Margate330
Lexus Test Driver

Received 965 Likes on 770 Posts

Originally Posted by Jakerin
Those trees are HUGE!
Old 06-23-22, 07:29 AM
geko29
Super Moderator

Received 297 Likes on 228 Posts

Summer is tournament season, so I spent the second weekend of June in the Cincinnati area, and last weekend in the Minneapolis area. Total fuel cost for the two trips was $501.70.

Next few are local (<60 miles), so we'll be commuting, then we'll close out the summer outside of Indianapolis.
Old 06-23-22, 07:49 AM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Been going up there since my father used to take us when we were kids. We usually camp at Stony Creek. My aunt lives on the Three Rivers side, about 20 minutes from the park entrance. It's such a gorgeous place, I used to go up there just to get away. I'm assuming you come up from the Fresno side as the Three Rivers side is very winding
Old 06-23-22, 08:33 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Either way, if I make it to my favorite place, Glacier NP in NW Montana,
Can't argue with that one. Glacier NP is (arguably) the most spectacular park in the country.

If you have not already driven it, do the Going to the Sun Highway...I don't think you will be disappointed.

Last edited by mmarshall; 06-23-22 at 10:45 AM.
Old 06-23-22, 09:22 AM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Received 227 Likes on 170 Posts

Originally Posted by AMIRZA786
I had a reservation in the spring to stay at John Muir in 2018...didn't turn out so well with that . Let me know if you go there with the Polestar...how the charging will be. I'll take the EV6 there instead of my minivan if charging situation is decent. I don't do camping...more glamping if you know what i mean
Old 06-23-22, 09:47 AM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by EZZ
I had a reservation in the spring to stay at John Muir in 2018...didn't turn out so well with that . Let me know if you go there with the Polestar...how the charging will be. I'll take the EV6 there instead of my minivan if charging situation is decent. I don't do camping...more glamping if you know what i mean
No, we are taking the Sienna because we need to load it up with gear, tent, sleeping bags etc. There is no fast charging up there (the closest EA fast charging is in Visalia), only Level 2 chargers at some of the lodges. Even gas stations, there is only two, and they are pretty far apart and one of them it's unpredictable if it's open or not. I usually fill the tank in Three Rivers before going up the mountain.

It's been some time since we went camping (2014), but I've done it since I was a kid and all though my 20's and 30's. One time I went with a friend in his VW bug, and we went hiking, when we got back to camp a bear tore our cooler apart and ate all our food. We had to pack everything up and head home

Last edited by AMIRZA786; 06-23-22 at 09:50 AM.

Quick Reply: Summer Road Trips