Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Luxury Car service experience...would you want it to be automated?

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-22, 03:30 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,772 Likes on 1,979 Posts
Default Luxury Car service experience...would you want it to be automated?

So this popped up in my Facebook feed today:

I don't know how I feel about this. I think when servicing a vehicle having a relationship with a service advisor is valuable, they learn about you and they can help you get additional support from the dealer and the manufacturer, because you are their customer. I have had good and great experiences with service advisors over the years, and God knows with a Mercedes there is a HUGE premium being paid for service, which is supposed to equal higher quality service. I will say my experience dealing with Mercedes service has been the best experience I have ever had having a car serviced...but it is far and away the most expensive. I think I would want it to be cheaper if this was what I was interacting with...

I also like to be able to have a discussion with the advisor about issues I am having. I suppose for just scheduled maintenance this would not be a big deal...

What does everybody else think?
Old 06-29-22, 03:32 PM
LH1
Instructor

Received 200 Likes on 108 Posts

Mixed feelings on this.

I could see this working well for Tesla but that's about it.
Old 06-29-22, 03:35 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by LH1
Mixed feelings on this.

I could see this working well for Tesla but that's about it.
Maybe as a quick lube type service, where I can come in without an appointment and get the oil changed or something, but putting the car in for service or to solve an issue...I want a person. Certainly if I am going to be spending $1,000+ on routine service for my Mercedes I want to be handled by a person.
Old 06-29-22, 08:05 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 88 Likes on 87 Posts

I don't live very far from that dealership...about 7 or 8 miles. I'll have to maybe drop by, look at it, and see how it operates before making any more comments.
Old 06-29-22, 09:39 PM
Margate330
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,029 Likes on 814 Posts

I don't put up with the self order kiosks at the Mc Donalds near me so there is no way I'd be ok with this.

If I'm in person spending good money I want service with a smile the same way I treat my customers.
Real customer service cannot be done with a machine IMO.
Old 06-30-22, 05:07 AM
patgilm
Lead Lap

Received 295 Likes on 211 Posts

I just had my service done on my X7 and I really like talking to my service advisor about things/concerns, etc. and going to the same person that knows me. When I paid as much as I did for my car I personally like having some personal interaction.

Also, with Tesla and using their app to schedule appointments, while different than a kiosk, has not been good and hard to schedule certain services vs. talking directly with a person.
Old 06-30-22, 05:13 AM
geko29
Super Moderator
Senior Moderator

Received 309 Likes on 237 Posts

For simple services (scheduled maintenance, recalls, etc), I'd rather not deal with people if I don't have to, so this would be great. When it's something more complex, I want to talk through it with a SA.
Old 06-30-22, 05:51 AM
wasjr
Instructor

Received 58 Likes on 46 Posts

I'm in the camp of wanting the interaction with the service advisor. I've had the same MDX service advisor over 10 years thru 3 vehicles, and while I have only had the S550 since 2019, I have the same service advisor the original owner had on this car (plus at least one other MB). Although I will communicate issues/questions and schedule with the advisor via email, I like to see them to confirm services, and on a personal level see how they have been. Personally knowing these gentlemen has helped on a few occasions.

As an aside, I haven't had the same longevity with Lexus. Initially (2012) had the same advisor for about 5 years, but have had at least 3 different advisors since then.
Old 06-30-22, 06:34 AM
jrmckinley
Pole Position

Received 415 Likes on 279 Posts

This is interesting and I'm kinda torn. When I used to take my car to Lexus for service, I didn't like the act of checking in and waiting for my service advisor to finish with another guest or waiting until the SA could be tracked down. Plus they always check your mileage, inspect the condition of the exterior for scratches/dents, cover the seats, etc. So there is some time spent waiting. They had benches in the service check in garage and 6 months out of the year in FL it was nice and warm in there. If I could use a kiosk to check myself in (would have to be simple - like a phone # or license plate check in process instead of having to enter VIN, etc) and then go to the lounge and receive a text when the SA was ready for me or have the advisor come find me, I'd view that as a better start to that experience.

What would be even better is if the kiosk was "intelligent" by being fully integrated into the scheduling and service software system. Meaning it looks you up, knows that you have an appointment, knows why you're there (exact services you requested), and then offers a "check box" or something saying "I wish to speak to the advisor before work is started".

I can't help but wonder if some of this is more COVID driven since the side of the pic attached says "contactless experience" (even though you are touching a screen that dozens of other people have been touching).
Old 06-30-22, 07:41 AM
AshLex2021
10th Gear

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

am a service advisor for a jaguar land rover brand and this to me is just asking for trouble with people coming in and thinking a service is covered under warranty, not knowing diag charges etc....... some things even as simple as adjustment of tire pressure just needs human interaction. end of the day, when you have a issue, a human will be needed . are you gonna yell at a automated soul less computer screen ? maybe hit it when it doesn't act right like a vending machine and still ask for the service manager :-)

and also we have older clients that cannot even operate an uber app, yea..... this wouldn't work ...................

Last edited by AshLex2021; 06-30-22 at 07:45 AM.
Old 06-30-22, 08:16 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by geko29
For simple services (scheduled maintenance, recalls, etc), I'd rather not deal with people if I don't have to, so this would be great. When it's something more complex, I want to talk through it with a SA.
I think the issue is, for scheduled maintenance etc thats where you build the rapport with the SA so that when the time comes where its more complex that relationship exists already...

Originally Posted by wasjr
I'm in the camp of wanting the interaction with the service advisor. I've had the same MDX service advisor over 10 years thru 3 vehicles, and while I have only had the S550 since 2019, I have the same service advisor the original owner had on this car (plus at least one other MB). Although I will communicate issues/questions and schedule with the advisor via email, I like to see them to confirm services, and on a personal level see how they have been. Personally knowing these gentlemen has helped on a few occasions.

As an aside, I haven't had the same longevity with Lexus. Initially (2012) had the same advisor for about 5 years, but have had at least 3 different advisors since then.
I totally agree with this. I have found though that a lot of the good SAs are getting out of the business...the one I had at first at Mercedes who was great left and went into outside sales for a software company, he was really great. I'm sure he's making WAY more money.
Old 06-30-22, 09:34 AM
tex2670
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by SW17LS
So this popped up in my Facebook feed today:

I don't know how I feel about this. I think when servicing a vehicle having a relationship with a service advisor is valuable, they learn about you and they can help you get additional support from the dealer and the manufacturer, because you are their customer. I have had good and great experiences with service advisors over the years, and God knows with a Mercedes there is a HUGE premium being paid for service, which is supposed to equal higher quality service. I will say my experience dealing with Mercedes service has been the best experience I have ever had having a car serviced...but it is far and away the most expensive. I think I would want it to be cheaper if this was what I was interacting with...

I also like to be able to have a discussion with the advisor about issues I am having. I suppose for just scheduled maintenance this would not be a big deal...

What does everybody else think?
I'm with you; sometimes it's better, sometimes not. Just like on-line scheduling of service--sometimes it's just easier to go on line; sometimes a service is more elaborate, or you just need to explain to a human being an issue that needs attention.
Old 06-30-22, 09:42 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,506 Likes on 1,647 Posts

Originally Posted by SW17LS
Maybe as a quick lube type service, where I can come in without an appointment and get the oil changed or something, but putting the car in for service or to solve an issue...I want a person. Certainly if I am going to be spending $1,000+ on routine service for my Mercedes I want to be handled by a person.
i'm sure mercedes will use quick lube when charging you $1000+ for routine service and throw in a person so it doesn't hurt as much.

i couldn't care less if i never see any person at any dealer, or a dealer itself, ever again.
Old 06-30-22, 09:58 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
i'm sure mercedes will use quick lube when charging you $1000+ for routine service and throw in a person so it doesn't hurt as much.

i couldn't care less if i never see any person at any dealer, or a dealer itself, ever again.
Then you wouldn't be somebody who would pay a dealer $1,000 for a routine service.

Thats the point. There is a premium service experience that is being purchased here. If I'm going to go to a quick lube and use a screen and sit in a waiting room for 3 hours, I'm not going to pay $1,000, I'm going to expect that will cost less. Like when I go to McDonalds for lunch, I'm not paying what I'd be spending at Mortons. If Mortons put in ordering screens instead of trained quality servers, I would expect that prices would go down.

Why people wait in waiting rooms for routine service is beyond me. I get the van serviced at a quick lube place near my house, I just pull in, they do the service, and I leave and never get out of the car. Why would I want to pay more and sit in a waiting room for hours to have Chrysler do it?!
Old 06-30-22, 11:04 AM
ABC
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

I would not mind it as an option, but i still want to chat with an SA if needed.

Quick Reply: Luxury Car service experience...would you want it to be automated?