Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2022 Cars - plastic fantastic

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-22, 11:05 AM
Margate330
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,004 Likes on 799 Posts

Originally Posted by Och
Like Striker said, most time these issues occur when the car is reaching the 100k mark, and at that point people simply live with the issues. I just paid $3,400 to fix a very minor oil leak on my E70, which required dropping the subframe - how many people would pay that on a 10 year old car?
Yow!
That's a punch in the wallet.

Did you at least make the most of the repair and replace some other stuff that may need it while it was all apart?
That would've been a good time to replace the rack if needed and other stuff.
Old 07-14-22, 11:15 AM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Margate330
Yow!
That's a punch in the wallet.

Did you at least make the most of the repair and replace some other stuff that may need it while it was all apart?
That would've been a good time to replace the rack if needed and other stuff.
According to my mechanic it didn't need anything else, just alignment after everything was put back together. The car only has about 70k miles, I've had it since new, it generally needs 2-4k of repairs every year after the warranty period expired. A lot of these things are for minor issues that other people would just ignore, but I get to be very **** particulate when it comes to maintaining my vehicles, everything has to be 100% perfect.
Old 07-14-22, 03:05 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,737 Likes on 1,959 Posts

Originally Posted by Och
Like Striker said, most time these issues occur when the car is reaching the 100k mark, and at that point people simply live with the issues. I just paid $3,400 to fix a very minor oil leak on my E70, which required dropping the subframe - how many people would pay that on a 10 year old car?
As for me looking at it as someone who changes cars every few years, then why would I care about a belt or a chain? I would never have to deal with either. Plus I own a 19 year old Lexus with 220,000 miles myself right now…with a 13 year old timing belt because it makes no financial sense to change it

MOST of the members here have cars 100k miles or older, where are all the failures? There may be wear characteristics that people live with, but they’re still driving their cars and it’s not costing them money. Cars wear and get sloppy as they age, especially if they are poorly maintained. In any event, if people don’t maintain their cars that’s on them. Change the oil in a Lexus with a chain and it will run well for hundreds of thousands of miles. Change the timing belt in a Lexus with a belt and it will be the same thing, it will just cost you $1,000 every 90k miles.

At the end of the day, this really isn’t that big a deal. If you want a car to last a long time, maintain it, and I think it’s pretty clear that the chances of a catastrophic failure are more likely with a poorly maintained car with a belt than one with a chain.
Old 07-14-22, 06:05 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by SW17LS
As for me looking at it as someone who changes cars every few years, then why would I care about a belt or a chain? I would never have to deal with either. Plus I own a 19 year old Lexus with 220,000 miles myself right now…with a 13 year old timing belt because it makes no financial sense to change it
Shouldn't matter to you at all. Maybe a belt would be a bit quieter, but it's such negligible difference, it doesn't matter.

MOST of the members here have cars 100k miles or older, where are all the failures? There may be wear characteristics that people live with, but they’re still driving their cars and it’s not costing them money. Cars wear and get sloppy as they age, especially if they are poorly maintained. In any event, if people don’t maintain their cars that’s on them. Change the oil in a Lexus with a chain and it will run well for hundreds of thousands of miles. Change the timing belt in a Lexus with a belt and it will be the same thing, it will just cost you $1,000 every 90k miles.

At the end of the day, this really isn’t that big a deal. If you want a car to last a long time, maintain it, and I think it’s pretty clear that the chances of a catastrophic failure are more likely with a poorly maintained car with a belt than one with a chain.
Well, there are two sides to that coin. For people that neglect their cars and let them become all sloppy, a catastrophic failure is certainly more likely with a belt. But for those of us who maintain their cars meticulously, a sloppy running engine is unacceptable, and any type of timing chain work is going to be far more expensive than a timing belt job.
Old 07-15-22, 06:37 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Och
Well, there are two sides to that coin. For people that neglect their cars and let them become all sloppy, a catastrophic failure is certainly more likely with a belt. But for those of us who maintain their cars meticulously, a sloppy running engine is unacceptable, and any type of timing chain work is going to be far more expensive than a timing belt job.
If you maintain a good car with a chain, that won’t happen. It happens when oil changes are stretched and missed. For instance that’s why my mechanic told me not to stretch oil changes in my LS460 to 10k miles and to keep doing them at 5K regardless of what Lexus says. I guarantee that LS460 if the maintenance is kept up, will run great with 250,000 miles on it with no chain issues.

A BMW V8 is just not an example of a good car. That engine is just not a long lasting engine.
Old 07-15-22, 07:43 AM
Och
Lexus Champion

If you maintain a good car with a chain, that won’t happen. It happens when oil changes are stretched and missed. For instance that’s why my mechanic told me not to stretch oil changes in my LS460 to 10k miles and to keep doing them at 5K regardless of what Lexus says. I guarantee that LS460 if the maintenance is kept up, will run great with 250,000 miles on it with no chain issues.

A BMW V8 is just not an example of a good car. That engine is just not a long lasting engine.
I wouldn't say they aren't good cars, they are very high maintenance, but they are great in bed awesome to drive.
Old 07-15-22, 08:10 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Och
I wouldn't say they aren't good cars, they are very high maintenance, but they are great in bed awesome to drive.
Haha, I mean good from a longevity perspective lol
Old 07-15-22, 10:37 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

ine.
I am still waiting for the threads that show all these timing chain problems lol
Old 07-15-22, 12:43 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,960 Likes on 2,494 Posts

There are many vids on Youtube covering timing chain issues. Maybe it's not as common as needing a timing belt but doing a timing belt is far easier and cheaper.
Old 07-15-22, 01:31 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by LeX2K
There are many vids on Youtube covering timing chain issues. Maybe it's not as common as needing a timing belt but doing a timing belt is far easier and cheaper.
There are tons of videos on YouTube of many things that are not commonplace lol

It’s a non issue.
Old 07-16-22, 04:14 PM
Lead Lap

Received 785 Likes on 532 Posts

18 years on OEM timing belt, still in great condition:

Old 07-16-22, 04:37 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by 703
18 years on OEM timing belt, still in great condition:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k7V-QrwiTqI
Man, this strikes a memory when I was getting the timing belt replaced on my GS430, well over 10 years ago. The minute the guy pulled off the coolant hose, seeing the red Toyota coolant it was obvious this car was always maintained by knowledgeable technicians. That water pump and that belt could easily go another 18 years.
Old 07-16-22, 04:45 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

And this just goes to show how important the proper maintenance is. When you watch the guy doing the job, look inside the engine, no corrosion from mixing wrong coolants, no particles inside the coolant, no leaks or seepage.

And also, this job demonstrates what I've been saying in many other threads - the 3UZ is by far the superior designed to the original 1UZ and its revisions. The timing job is so simple, as well as any other work on this engine. No stupid clutch fan, no stupid web of coolant and vacuum hoses, no EGR, no distributors and spark plug wires. The same job on the original LS400 is far more difficult and frustrating. The perfect balance of simplicity and sophistication, best engine ever.
Old 07-17-22, 01:34 AM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

Received 1,225 Likes on 910 Posts

Very true, I broke one control arm and I'm doing all 8 but I imagine most don't do it that way. 100% ill maintenance is what will really kill any car....most people do not treat a car like they intend to take it to 500k+ and sometimes I also ask myself why I care with some stuff on two of my cars. However I just need to have everything working properly so I suffer as needed to make it so
Old 07-17-22, 01:37 AM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

Received 1,225 Likes on 910 Posts

Agreed but people just don't do that. It feels like pulling teeth to get anyone to do it at 5k even if their engine is known for issues related to oil interval.

Quick Reply: 2022 Cars - plastic fantastic