Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2022 Cars - plastic fantastic

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-22, 07:09 PM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

Received 1,225 Likes on 910 Posts

Originally Posted by LeX2K
Cast and machined parts costs way more to produce vs plastic crap. Worst part is the plastic is basically impossible to recycle aluminum can be recycled endlessly.
Sorta, alum recycling takes more energy than just printing new plastic and more importantly costs more. If something costs more no one will use it
Old 07-11-22, 07:28 PM
Lead Lap

Received 785 Likes on 532 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
what is the point in lamenting the move to more plastic in parts? it is what it is.
I just like durable materials in goods. Less waste and more use 😀.

or are we saying we don’t have enough plastic in landfill and we should strive for more?

when a metal part is infused with plastic, the effort to dissemble outweighs the benefit and it is just dumped. That is metal that could be recycled or plastic that could be recycled but would never be.

Old 07-11-22, 07:34 PM
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Striker223
Sorta, alum recycling takes more energy than just printing new plastic and more importantly costs more. If something costs more no one will use it
The cost is still there. It just someone else paying for the consequences. This generation or the next, doesn’t matter. Cost is not avoided, just transferred.

Last edited by 703; 07-12-22 at 02:59 AM.
Old 07-12-22, 02:32 AM
Motorola
Lead Lap

Received 38 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by 703
I just like durable materials in goods. Less waste and more use 😀.

or are we saying we don’t have enough plastic in landfill and we should strive for more?
If you care so much for saving the environment and reducing landfill waste, don't buy any new car lol. Doesn't matter what year it was made.

We're talking about metal water pumps, how about we talk about the fact that all new cars now use metal chains instead of the crappy flimsy rubber band timing belts that older cars like the LS400 came with. Technology moves forward for the better.
Old 07-12-22, 02:48 AM
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Motorola
If you care so much for saving the environment and reducing landfill waste, don't buy any new car lol. Doesn't matter what year it was made.

We're talking about metal water pumps, how about we talk about the fact that all new cars now use metal chains instead of the crappy flimsy rubber band timing belts that older cars like the LS400 came with. Technology moves forward for the better.
you know that rubber timing belts are very recyclable, More so than the dirty take away food containers that aren’t recycled as often too dirty.

the metal water pump in the example above are not ls400 era. It’s still being produced today in Toyota and Lexus V6s.

and besides, let’s debate the topic and not the person. Big corporates like Toyota have social responsibility and sustainability statements and commitments. They have set theses goals themselves.

Last edited by 703; 07-12-22 at 02:56 AM.
Old 07-12-22, 03:01 AM
Motorola
Lead Lap

Received 38 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by 703
you know that rubber timing belts are very recyclable, More so than the dirty take away containers that aren’t recycled as often too dirty.

the metal water pump in the example above are not ls400 era. It’s still being produced today in Toyota and Lexus V6s.
And yet most of them will just get tossed in the trash because timing belts are designed to be used up and thrown away as part of scheduled maintenance, unlike timing chains.

The 3.5 NA V6 is literally a 15 year old engine, it's outright ancient. Tear apart the new 2.4T in the NX and tell me what you find, I would bet good money it's connected to a plastic water pump too.
Old 07-12-22, 05:39 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,458 Likes on 1,612 Posts

Originally Posted by 703
plastic in landfills doesn't bother me. it doesn't degrade so just make golf courses and interesting terrain out of it.

plastic in the oceans/rivers... different story, and terrible.

Old 07-12-22, 06:58 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,737 Likes on 1,959 Posts

Originally Posted by LeX2K
All-plastic pumps often have a leak in the housing especially near the thin/weak points where the mount points are. Or they crack and fail completely. That Toyota pump is extremely reliable the impeller is likely glass reinforced PPS. The bearing seal leaks long before anything else goes wrong.
Yet Toyota/Lexus water pumps have been notorious for leaking for 30 years. I replaced more than one leaking pump in my many years of Lexus ownership, and on the older cars they are almost always replaced with the TB anyways. So, why design a pump that will last more than 90-100k miles.

Sometimes not wasting R&D and manufacturing costs on parts that are overbuilt yet still fail as if they were under built doesn’t make any sense.

As for worrying about plastic in landfills, where do you think metal goes? Plastic can be recycled same as metal.
Old 07-12-22, 09:39 AM
LeX2K
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,960 Likes on 2,494 Posts

...removed ..

Last edited by LeX2K; 07-12-22 at 10:28 AM.
Old 07-12-22, 10:26 AM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,279 Likes on 1,385 Posts

Let’s make comments on the topic without the comments on the people posting in the thread please. Lex2k please edit
Old 07-12-22, 11:27 AM
LeX2K
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,960 Likes on 2,494 Posts

Originally Posted by SW17LS
As for worrying about plastic in landfills, where do you think metal goes?
Where it goes is a separate issue vs can the materials be recycled. Metals are infinitely recyclable with only a small amount of material lost in the process.
Plastic can be recycled same as metal.
Plastic that is recycled is inferior compared to using virgin materials this gets amplified the more times the material is recycled. Most is not recycled at all, the recycle looking symbol you see at the bottom of a plastic containers have zero to do with recyclability. See for yourself.

Old 07-12-22, 02:22 PM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by 703
The cost is still there. It just someone else paying for the consequences. This generation or the next, doesn’t matter. Cost is not avoided, just transferred.
Its avoided, if it's passed on past me then it's not my problem anymore.....that's the logic to a lot of this. Name me a person who is driving the same car their parent drove that has been passed down, it just doesn't really happen
Old 07-12-22, 02:23 PM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Motorola

The chains wear out more actually. I have had to deal with so many chains now that cars that had them are getting to the 10-13 year marks when the previous versions had belts
Old 07-12-22, 04:34 PM
Lead Lap

Its avoided, if it's passed on past me then it's not my problem anymore.....that's the logic to a lot of this. Name me a person who is driving the same car their parent drove that has been passed down, it just doesn't really happen
you got to think bigger. Every action has an equal and opposite impact on the environment, for better or worse. In the worse category, this means more pollution, more deforestation (land fill is not infinite) less biodiversity etc.

while it doesn’t impact you in a way you see right now, the impact is there. Someone else ends up paying for it, and it doesn’t have to be measured in dollars.

80 million cars are produced each year. Even if their useful life decreases by a small percentage, that is a lot going into waste as recycling is never fully done well in practice.

Old 07-12-22, 05:12 PM
LexFinally
Racer

Received 943 Likes on 593 Posts

The chains wear out more actually. I have had to deal with so many chains now that cars that had them are getting to the 10-13 year marks when the previous versions had belts
A rubber timing belt is an opportunity for fatally missed maintence that a chain just isn't. I'll bet you there are a lot more interference engines getting trashed, and taking the whole car to the scrapyard with them, because a rubber timing belt snapped at age 8 than because a metal chain falied at age 13.

Quick Reply: 2022 Cars - plastic fantastic