Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

MM Retro Write-Up: 1974-1978 Ford Mustang II

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-22, 05:22 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by Felix
I didn't want the Starsky/Hutch hardtop, so I went w/ the 'chero instead.... At the time my brother & I stopped by Holiday (Sunnyvale) Ford & they had a Red w/black vinyl roof Ranchero GT, 351c, Hurst 4spd in the showroom, went & told pop's, to cancel the order on the Ranchero I ordered from Lutz Ford. He said to late as the vehicles he ordered are due in a few days.
The Rancheros of that era (mid-late-70s) were actually pretty good-size vehicles. They certainly didn't get any of the downsizing that the Mustang did.

Old 07-07-22, 06:54 PM
Margate330
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,018 Likes on 810 Posts

Originally Posted by Jezza819
Even Farah couldn't make that car cool.

That looks so good just wanted to see it again.
Old 07-07-22, 06:56 PM
Margate330
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,018 Likes on 810 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
The Rancheros of that era (mid-late-70s) were actually pretty good-size vehicles. They certainly didn't get any of the downsizing that the Mustang did.

Oh yea, I could do one of those even today just for cruising around local!
Always wanted one but never pulled the trigger.

Old 07-08-22, 04:34 PM
Kira X
美少女戦士セーラームーン

Received 435 Likes on 358 Posts

I’ve never actually seen one of these Mustangs in person and I’ve been to a lot of muscle car shows/meets over the past 12 years. Definitely an interesting write up as I’ve only seen a picture of these Mustangs online a long time ago.

I’ll keep my eye out for these at Coffee and Cars, and some of the muscle car shows.
Old 07-10-22, 02:26 PM
Felix
Pole Position

Received 501 Likes on 436 Posts

Originally Posted by Margate330
Oh yea, I could do one of those even today just for cruising around local!
Always wanted one but never pulled the trigger.
The 'chero's are cool, the only reason at the time, is cause Ford dropped the Torino Sportsroof for '74 as it wouldn't pass the roll over inspection, so the next Ford would be the 'chero as I didn't car for the Starsky/Hutch hardtop....But a Pantera would of been great.....$9995. at your local l/M dealer or at least Stanford l/M had a few.....
Old 07-10-22, 08:53 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Felix
The 'chero's are cool, the only reason at the time, is cause Ford dropped the Torino Sportsroof for '74 as it wouldn't pass the roll over inspection, so the next Ford would be the 'chero as I didn't car for the Starsky/Hutch hardtop....But a Pantera would of been great.....$9995. at your local l/M dealer or at least Stanford l/M had a few.....

Don't want to get too far off-topic, but, not long ago, GM, with its ties to Australia's Holden, could (?) have brought the Holden Maloo over here to the U.S. as the Chevy El-Camino, which was the Ranchero's closest competitor. GM had already sold modified Holden products here as the Pontiac G8, GTO, and Chevy's SS. I suggested this to to their D.C. show-reps several times, and there was apparently some plans to market the Maloo as a Pontiac sport-truck, but then Pontiac itself folded. The project could (?) have been transferred to Chevy as the El Camino, but, of course never was. Sad. Then, even worse, GM dropped Holden altogether.

Old 07-11-22, 02:57 PM
Felix
Pole Position

Received 501 Likes on 436 Posts

The Mustang ll was a great place holder & also a pretty good car vs the clydesdale '71-'73 cars.....btw they were widen to take the 385 series engine, but that turned out to be a one yr only option. The 335 series Boss was also a one yr only model as well...For '74 Ford went to a smaller platform for the Mustang, which was right size at the time. You'd have been there to know what I mean. Ford threw the ''Cougar'' on to the Torino Elite platform as that was a test bed for the Cougar, Thats a difference story for another day....
Old 07-11-22, 03:07 PM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,619 Likes on 1,033 Posts

When I was a kid, our neighbor had one of these Mustangs. It was black with red interior and had a license plate frame that said "honk if you like tropical fish"...
Old 07-11-22, 03:20 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by JDR76
When I was a kid, our neighbor had one of these Mustangs. It was black with red interior and had a license plate frame that said "honk if you like tropical fish"...
LOL.....That makes me think of the Plymouth Barracuda (which is a tropical fish)..........one of the Mustang's competitors.

Speaking of that, the original 1964 Barracuda actually beat the original 1964 Mustang to market by mere 16 days...so, technically, it was the first pony car on the market, although a credible argument can be made that it was not a true pony car....simply a Plymouth Valiant with a big glass rear roof. But it was no contest in sales.....the Mustang's tremendous popularity simply blew it out of the water in sales. And the Barracuda did not become a true pony car until several years later.

I owned a '64 Barracuda for about a year or so...my late father bought me a well-used one when I graduated from High School. I'll have to do a write-up on it one of these days. That's during the days (early-mid-60s) when Chrysler built some of their most durable products.