Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2024 Chevrolet Blazer EV revealed

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-22, 04:06 PM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 70 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by AMIRZA786
My turn . You'll easily recoup the the extra $10K to $15K price difference in about 4 years in not having to fuel it with expensive gas, and virtually no maint. Today I had to fill up our Sienna to take my brother in law and his family to the airport...$71 fricken dollars to fill the tank. I spend less than $60 a month on charging two EV's that combined drive 20K miles a year. Now if you don't care for GM or the GM interior, that's fair game

And yes @bitkahuna , most people don't care what wheels drive the vehicle
Really why don’t you calculate the interest expense on that additional $15k vs ICE plus gas prices will not stay this high.
Old 07-19-22, 04:10 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Received 2,162 Likes on 1,682 Posts

Originally Posted by RNM GS3
Really why don’t you calculate the interest expense on that additional $15k vs ICE plus gas prices will not stay this high.
I don't think gas prices are going to go down that much, especially here in California. Even if they do, powering a car with electricity is still cheaper than gas. Way cheaper. Even if filling up my tank every week only costed $40, it would still be every week which would be $160 a month. I've already done the math, and I already know who the winner is
Old 07-19-22, 04:10 PM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by SW17LS
The reason a RWD platform is better than a FWD platform in ICE world is because of the position of the engine and the impact that has on handling, weight distribution and design. Thats why AWD doesn't solve the issues a transverse engine FWD based vehicle has. In an EV, there is no engine, and the type of drive has nothing to do with the design of the car. Its literally just which motors power the vehicle. So, just because this Blazer can be had in FWD does not mean that the RWD or AWD versions are compromised.
You know very little about vehicle dynamics if you think that weight is the only reason why FWD is a negative. 99% of buyers will not care but there is still huge difference between performance capabilities of a RWD vehicle. For example, having same wheels steer the car while putting power down is negative.

Its just cost cutting by GM and further manufacturing complexity to save $$$.

Last edited by RNM GS3; 07-19-22 at 04:16 PM.
Old 07-19-22, 04:12 PM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by AMIRZA786
I don't think gas prices are going to go down that much, especially here in California. Even if they do, powering a car with electricity is still cheaper than gas. Even if filling up my tank every week only costed $40, it would still be every week which would be $160 a month. I've already done the math, and I already know who the winner is
Most of US is NOT California with $8-9 gas.

My 93 is $5.39 per gallon and 87 is like 4.49
Old 07-19-22, 04:15 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Most of US is NOT California with $8-9 gas.

My 93 is $5.39 per gallon and 87 is like 4.49
Ah, you're gonna play the California game. Just FYI, gas is not $8 or $9 in California. Here is a fill-up of my Sienna today:

Anyway, this is not about gas prices so I'll just move on....

Last edited by AMIRZA786; 07-19-22 at 04:24 PM.
Old 07-19-22, 04:24 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

$50k for a FWD GM ****box - are they serious?!
I happen to have a FWD GM product, and it is FAR from being a **** box.

Now, having said that, I agree that GM has *****-ed up the recent marketing of the actual Blazer name, but my views are well-known on that, and I won't re-hash them here.
Old 07-19-22, 05:39 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,737 Likes on 1,959 Posts

$50k for a small Chevy SUV aimed at average American is a joke - EV or not
You are behind the times my friend. $50,000 isn't what it used to be, especially for an EV. This is also not a small SUV, this is midsized, think Venza sized.

I disagree - it impacts vehicle dynamics
Only if you get the FWD version. Get the AWD or RWD version and it will have no impact. Thats the point.

There are a LOT of people out there who want FWD vs RWD, and thats likely why Chevy made this option.
Old 07-19-22, 08:34 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,458 Likes on 1,612 Posts

99% of buyers will not care but there is still huge difference between performance capabilities of a RWD vehicle.
that's the relevant point. you have an x3 m40i which i'm sure you love and it's probably rwd/awd.

but bmw made their 1 and 2 series fwd/awd because they know, most people don't care, and to lower the cost.

but EV packaging is obviously very different. unlike ICE engines, front electric motors aren't very big, and the overall weight distribution is significantly different due to those lights motors plus the huge battery pack between the wheels.

but sure, there will always be some degree of front wheel torque steering and just interfering with steering in general.

and i did see a more loaded blazer ev will be 65k so est. pricing is out there.

and since your x3 m40i starts pretty much at $60k now, i'd say a loaded blazer will be a relative bargain being much faster, likely quieter, AND roomier.
Old 07-20-22, 12:53 AM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
that's the relevant point. you have an x3 m40i which i'm sure you love and it's probably rwd/awd.

but bmw made their 1 and 2 series fwd/awd because they know, most people don't care, and to lower the cost.

but EV packaging is obviously very different. unlike ICE engines, front electric motors aren't very big, and the overall weight distribution is significantly different due to those lights motors plus the huge battery pack between the wheels.

but sure, there will always be some degree of front wheel torque steering and just interfering with steering in general.

and i did see a more loaded blazer ev will be 65k so est. pricing is out there.

and since your x3 m40i starts pretty much at $60k now, i'd say a loaded blazer will be a relative bargain being much faster, likely quieter, AND roomier.
Are you seriously comparing a Blazer to BMW X3 lol
GM makes some nice cars for sure but they also make horrendous crap. None of their current products come close to a comparable priced BMW.

Whether a vehicle is powered by ICE or EV - the other parts are still the same like vehicle dynamics, suspension tuning, steering, handling, build quality etc. I’m surprised ppl are defending a lukewarm overpriced product that really brings nothing interesting or new to the marketplace and is still 1 to 2 yrs away.
Old 07-20-22, 01:02 AM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

You are behind the times my friend. $50,000 isn't what it used to be, especially for an EV. This is also not a small SUV, this is midsized, think Venza sized.

Only if you get the FWD version. Get the AWD or RWD version and it will have no impact. Thats the point.

There are a LOT of people out there who want FWD vs RWD, and thats likely why Chevy made this option.
I’m not behind the times at all - ppl don’t have the $$$ to buy this nonsense. IF the economy goes down and layoffs start to occur, the Auto loan credit market will be blowing up. You already have huge # of defaults with ppl taking 8yr loans to buy $40k car. The inflated prices of past 2yrs have only made things worse as ppl will be way upside down on their loans.

Toyota is the only company that seems to be hedging its lineup with ICE and hybrids. There is a reason why they are so successful.

$50k FWD small SUV is a joke when i can buy Honda CRV for $30k that is built to a higher standard and will be way more reliable. The RWD models are over $60k - plenty of luxury crossovers in that segment not a Chevy.
Old 07-20-22, 04:31 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

Toyota is the only company that seems to be hedging its lineup with ICE and hybrids. There is a reason why they are so successful.

$.
Do you know that Chevrolet has quite a few ICE models as it is? Trailblazer, ICE Blazer, Equinox, and much much more
Old 07-20-22, 09:13 AM
LeX2K
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,959 Likes on 2,493 Posts

So far Toyota is not successful in the fastest growing segment. When are ICE and hybrid Toyota's going to start growing at the same rate?

As for the Blazer EV selling very well that's a big if, if GM can make them in volume. Right now GM's EV production numbers are a joke.
Old 07-20-22, 09:22 AM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

I’m not behind the times at all - ppl don’t have the $$$ to buy this nonsense. IF the economy goes down and layoffs start to occur, the Auto loan credit market will be blowing up. You already have huge # of defaults with ppl taking 8yr loans to buy $40k car. The inflated prices of past 2yrs have only made things worse as ppl will be way upside down on their loans.

$50k FWD small SUV is a joke when i can buy Honda CRV for $30k that is built to a higher standard and will be way more reliable. The RWD models are over $60k - plenty of luxury crossovers in that segment not a Chevy.
I'm not a fan of GM products either, and although I am an adopter of EV's, I wouldn't buy the Blazer, EV or ICE version, but I totally appreciate that GM is getting with the times (if they can actually produce enough numbers). I drove the CRV and it is painfully sluggishly slow, I would rather pay more for an EV (or even a bigger engine like a V6) that has smooth instant torque and doesn't take over 8 seconds to merge into traffic, and at the same time gets nearly 100 MPG equivalent or better.

It's true that the economy may take a hit, but we don't know for sure how bad it will be. The job market is still strong, but if it does take a hit than all car buying is affected, EV or ICE. If the EV Blazer is 1 or 2 years away, either the economy will be totally crashed and it won't matter, or it will have recovered and GM made a smart move.

I just have to SMH when you mention how successful Toyota is. They are desperately trying to slow down EV adoption because they know how behind they are, and how badly they miscalculated. They made a huge bet, and lost. And now companies like Hyundai and Kia are starting to eat some of Toyotas lunch. I'll tell you one thing, I drove both the RAV4 Hybrid and Ioniq 5 dual motor...and on a number scale 1 thru 10 the Ioniq 5 is a "10" and the RAV4 Hybrid is barely a "6".

Anyway I"m glad GM was smart enough to begin their move to EV's, even if it's a year or two away

Last edited by AMIRZA786; 07-20-22 at 09:46 AM.
Old 07-20-22, 10:52 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,737 Likes on 1,959 Posts

Yes, you are...and yes, they do. The average price of a new car is now over $47,000. $50,000 for a Chevy is barely above average. Can't blame a car manufacturer for pricing their products where people will buy them. None of those issues you mention are GM's problem. Its not their responsibility to help people make good financial choices.
Old 07-20-22, 07:44 PM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Yes, you are...and yes, they do. The average price of a new car is now over $47,000. $50,000 for a Chevy is barely above average. Can't blame a car manufacturer for pricing their products where people will buy them. None of those issues you mention are GM's problem. Its not their responsibility to help people make good financial choices.
Ofcourse its the automakers problem.

GM and other automakers have their financing arms provides these “predatory” loans to sell vehicles with 7-8yr terms. Average Joe doesn’t even understand what they are signing, they just look at the monthly payment and not total cost of the car with interest over 8yrs.

Its all a game and plenty of suckers out there - issue is at some point soon there will be huge collapse of these auto loans because there is almost no regulation.

GM is selling a turd for $50k - FWD Suv is a joke. With tax, some options and dealer add ons - you’re paying $60k to drive a FWD Blazer which im sure will have a ton of issues like the Mach E does.

Its Ok though - we only spent $50 Billion to bail out GM before and who knows how much “government investment” is going to fund these EV models. I think another bailout may need to happen soon especially with their clueless CEO.

Last edited by RNM GS3; 07-20-22 at 07:52 PM.

Quick Reply: 2024 Chevrolet Blazer EV revealed