Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Lexus Is Redesigning Its Controversial Spindle Grille

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-22, 02:31 PM
Curated Content Editor
CL Editor

Received 172 Likes on 119 Posts
Default Lexus Is Redesigning Its Controversial Spindle Grille

By Brett Foote

The automaker is already retooling this controversial look.

Old 07-19-22, 02:37 PM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,616 Likes on 1,030 Posts

It's been out for 10 years and has been constantly evolving. I'm not sure I'd use the phrase "already retooling the controversial look".
Old 07-19-22, 02:41 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,934 Likes on 2,471 Posts

But the spindle has always been based on functionality of what's happening under the hood
What? How?
Old 07-19-22, 03:23 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Well......it's about time. Even with some sales-increases since its debut, the spindle grilles have probably driven away more potential customers than attracted them. With the Lexus reputation for reliability, and without the spindle, Lexus would probably have sold even more vehicles than they have.
Old 07-19-22, 03:25 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by Curated Content Editor
By Brett Foote

The automaker is already retooling this controversial look.
‘I think this looks great. I just don’t like the double oval around the logo.
Old 07-19-22, 08:21 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,440 Likes on 1,600 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
‘I think this looks great.
if you're into old trains.

Old 07-19-22, 11:37 PM
Kira X
美少女戦士セーラームーン

Received 431 Likes on 355 Posts
Talking

Originally Posted by bitkahuna

if you're into old trains.

That’s funny.
Old 07-20-22, 03:29 AM
BrickHead
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Well......it's about time. Even with some sales-increases since its debut, the spindle grilles have probably driven away more potential customers than attracted them. With the Lexus reputation for reliability, and without the spindle, Lexus would probably have sold even more vehicles than they have.
Totally agreed! We used to be big fans of Lexus and owned a 1998 LS 400 and a 2002 LS430 and thought we would always buy Lexus. Well, when the time came to replace our beloved LS’s in the 2010’s, we simply couldn’t stomach the Hideous spindle grille. We tried very hard to like it but ultimately decided to go with Mercedes and bmw cuvs.

That brings up another intriguing point, Lexus spend resources and capitals to launch mediocre sports coupes in the 2010’s while the market was clearly shifting towards suvs. Lexus completely handed the premium cuv segment to the Germans. We have been forced to buy Mercedes and BMW cuvs since then.

So yes, the spindle grille and the lack of premium cuvs drove us to leave Lexus.

Last edited by BrickHead; 07-20-22 at 03:48 AM.
Old 07-20-22, 07:52 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 163 Likes on 139 Posts

Only thing I wish they would do is make it practical. Even though I think the design is distinctive and it looks good on some vehicles better than others, I often wonder if the aerodynamics and utility of it is good. I probably maybe should just leave that to the experts, but I have had a debate on my CT200h where to go to an F-Sport grille or just leave my base model CT200h as is.
Old 07-20-22, 07:57 AM
Motorola
Lead Lap

Received 38 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by BrickHead
Totally agreed! We used to be big fans of Lexus and owned a 1998 LS 400 and a 2002 LS430 and thought we would always buy Lexus. Well, when the time came to replace our beloved LS’s in the 2010’s, we simply couldn’t stomach the Hideous spindle grille. We tried very hard to like it but ultimately decided to go with Mercedes and bmw cuvs.

That brings up another intriguing point, Lexus spend resources and capitals to launch mediocre sports coupes in the 2010’s while the market was clearly shifting towards suvs. Lexus completely handed the premium cuv segment to the Germans. We have been forced to buy Mercedes and BMW cuvs since then.

So yes, the spindle grille and the lack of premium cuvs drove us to leave Lexus.
To be fair, the LS didn't have the full spindle until the LS500 in 2018. The LS460 had the spindle shape, but not the full grille.
Old 07-20-22, 10:54 AM
arentz07
drives cars

Received 3,805 Likes on 1,930 Posts

I much prefer the RZ's front end to the new RX... which is sad, since you think they'd play it a little safer with their best seller. The whole "nose" look is a "no" for me. The rest of the RX looks fine, which makes it sting even more.
Old 07-20-22, 04:47 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by arentz07
I much prefer the RZ's front end to the new RX... which is sad, since you think they'd play it a little safer with their best seller. The whole "nose" look is a "no" for me. The rest of the RX looks fine, which makes it sting even more.
The new front of the RX is definitely not the greatest looking spindle. I do like the new NX. RZ is not bad…. I guess they are trying to make the case that the RX is 1/2 way to full EV whereas the RZ is full EV. I dunno. Lexus has some controversial styling for the most part. I guess it we are talking about it, or responding to the new direction…must mean we care
Old 07-21-22, 09:23 AM
arentz07
drives cars

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
The new front of the RX is definitely not the greatest looking spindle. I do like the new NX. RZ is not bad…. I guess they are trying to make the case that the RX is 1/2 way to full EV whereas the RZ is full EV. I dunno. Lexus has some controversial styling for the most part. I guess it we are talking about it, or responding to the new direction…must mean we care
I suppose so!

I was just watching this video from JayEmm On Cars, and it made me realize the previous RX's looks have grown on me. It's not half-bad here in Takumi (non-F-Sport luxury trim) form.

Old 07-21-22, 11:44 AM
Hoovey689

Received 125 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by arentz07
I suppose so!

I was just watching this video from JayEmm On Cars, and it made me realize the previous RX's looks have grown on me. It's not half-bad here in Takumi (non-F-Sport luxury trim) form.

In Japan, the word Takumi refers to an artisan craftsperson who is unrivalled in their particular field of expertise. Out of 7,700 workers at the Miyata Lexus Plant in Kyushi there are just 19 Takumi. In Japan you are not considered a master of your craft until you've spent 60,000 hours refining your skills which could take many many years. Even then only a select few are given the title Takumi
Old 07-21-22, 11:55 AM
arentz07
drives cars

Originally Posted by Hoovey689
In Japan, the word Takumi refers to an artisan craftsperson who is unrivalled in their particular field of expertise. Out of 7,700 workers at the Miyata Lexus Plant in Kyushi there are just 19 Takumi. In Japan you are not considered a master of your craft until you've spent 60,000 hours refining your skills which could take many many years. Even then only a select few are given the title Takumi
Correct, and incidentally, it is the name of a top package available on the RX in the UK.

Quick Reply: Lexus Is Redesigning Its Controversial Spindle Grille