Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

LX 600 Ultra Luxury (ClubLexus Official Review)

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-22, 01:36 PM
MPalmer
CL Editor

Received 32 Likes on 16 Posts
Default LX 600 Ultra Luxury (ClubLexus Official Review)

Hey, folks, Lexus recently sent over the LX 600 Ultra Luxury for review. Unfortunately, we still need to drive and test other LX 600 trims, including the F Sport, so not all of our conclusions are final. Still, it's hard to recommend this $130K model unless you own a limo company, despite a few nice upgrades over the 570 -- https://www.clublexus.com/articles/l...luxury-review/

Also, here's the difference between its lowest and tallest suspension settings, which definitely wows the kids and neighbors, hahaha.

Old 07-22-22, 02:03 PM
Lead Lap

Received 779 Likes on 528 Posts

Touch surfaces are well made, but the materials are more akin to a $60,000 Lexus than an LC or LS. Compared to something from Britain, Germany, or Italy, forget it. The LX isn’t in the same league.”

ouch

at least in this Ultra Luxury trim — drives like a wet noodle. It feels overly top-and-nose-heavy in any type of cornering or braking. Which is fine, I suppose. It’s a big SUV, not a sports car. But simply driving it at highway speeds reveals bump or wind-induced wobbles (in both Normal and High 1) that feel unsettling at times. I’m not sure if I’d go as far as calling it unsafe, but from a driver’s perspective, it’s not confidence-inspiring”

double ouch
Old 07-22-22, 02:09 PM
MPalmer
CL Editor

Originally Posted by 703
Touch surfaces are well made, but the materials are more akin to a $60,000 Lexus than an LC or LS. Compared to something from Britain, Germany, or Italy, forget it. The LX isn’t in the same league.”

ouch

at least in this Ultra Luxury trim — drives like a wet noodle. It feels overly top-and-nose-heavy in any type of cornering or braking. Which is fine, I suppose. It’s a big SUV, not a sports car. But simply driving it at highway speeds reveals bump or wind-induced wobbles (in both Normal and High 1) that feel unsettling at times. I’m not sure if I’d go as far as calling it unsafe, but from a driver’s perspective, it’s not confidence-inspiring”

double ouch
I take no pleasure in knocking something from a company i respect, but, yeah, i took my loaner on a mini-roadtrip from Los Angeles to Oceanside, California, and it was either too bumpy (large wheels?) or too wobbly. I was shocked, especially since most of the other reviews have been generally positive. But that's what I experienced so I felt compelled to share.
Old 07-22-22, 02:10 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by MPalmer
Hey, folks, Lexus recently sent over the LX 600 Ultra Luxury for review. Unfortunately, we still need to drive and test other LX 600 trims, including the F Sport, so not all of our conclusions are final. Still, it's hard to recommend this $130K model unless you own a limo company, despite a few nice upgrades over the 570 -- https://www.clublexus.com/articles/l...luxury-review/

Also, here's the difference between its lowest and tallest suspension settings, which definitely wows the kids and neighbors, hahaha.

Read your review. I think this really is,for those who have had a LX or LC in the past. Really hard to compared against anything from the Germans. I agree, super odd no hybrid max motor. Should be a V8 in there but the complainers wanted something new and got a 6 Full time 4WD is great. Love the pic you posted. And those painted wheel well trim look fantastic. No fake ruggedness there lol. Sad that the running boards are not colour keyed

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 07-22-22 at 02:27 PM.
Old 07-22-22, 02:18 PM
MPalmer
CL Editor

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
Read your review. I think this really is,for those who have had a LX or LC in the past. Really hard to compared against anything from the Germans. I agree, super odd no hybrid max motor. Should be a V8 in there but the complainers wanted something new and got a 6 Full time 4WD is great. Love the pic you posted. And those painted wheel well trim look fantastic. No fake ruggedness there lol. Sad that the running boards are not co.our keyed
Great points. Several times during my loan, I wished Lexus had just put the new radio and a few charge ports into the old LX.

But, and I'm not sure if this was your point, but I'd personally argue that the LC is a fantastic driver's car, even though it's a grand tourer, not a sports car. And, outside of driving dynamics, the LC just feels a little fancier.

Cheers.
Old 07-22-22, 02:21 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Great points. Several times during my loan, I wished Lexus had just put the new radio and a few charge ports into the old LX.
The old one was a nice platform. The cool thing about Toyota V8s in the SUVs is that they were always optimized for performance (not speed) but grunt and day to day driving. Fuel economy was always an afterthought. This what made them so special. Full time 4WD always working with aggressive gearing was just really nice.

But, and I'm not sure if this was your point, but I'd personally argue that the LC is a fantastic driver's car, even though it's a grand tourer, not a sports car. And, outside of driving dynamics, the LC just feels a little fancier.

Cheers.
Meant LC in Land Cruiser. when I think LX I always think Land Cruiser as well as they go hand in had.
Old 07-22-22, 02:29 PM
MPalmer
CL Editor

The old one was a nice platform. The cool thing about Toyota V8s in the SUVs is that they were always optimized for performance (not speed) but grunt and day to day driving. Fuel economy was always an afterthought. This what made them so special. Full time 4WD always working with aggressive gearing was just really nice.

Meant LC in Land Cruiser. when I think LX I always think Land Cruiser as well as they go hand in had.
Oh, of course. sorry i missed the reference.

I really enjoyed the last Land Cruiser I drove (the Heritage Edition). It's funny, I drive a lot of SUVs and trucks and the off-road variants (like the Heritage Edition, TRD Pro, and some Fords) also end up handling better ON road compared the standard trims. I think the larger tires help (coupled with special suspensions).

Cheers.
Old 07-22-22, 02:34 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

I really enjoyed the last Land Cruiser I drove (the Heritage Edition). It's funny, I drive a lot of SUVs and trucks and the off-road variants (like the Heritage Edition, TRD Pro, and some Fords) also end up handling better ON road compared the standard trims. I think the larger tires help (coupled with special suspensions).

Cheers.
I am not sure if there is anything difference in the heritage than the non heritage for Land Cruiser. Always thought they were same suspension. The ride you are noticing is vey likely from the thicker rubber in the tires for off roading. I think the wheels are smaller too. I put for the first time Yokohama tires on my 04 4Runner, much more aggressive and it has lots of tread, way more than the Michelin tires I had before. I notice the ride is much better than before, far more absorbing. I've always like the firmer rides of Toyota SUVs over Lexus models...but that is just me.

Also for the non hybrid parts which the Sequoia gets and the LX does not. Maybe it has something to do with the full time 4WD system. But the LS500h does have full time awd. Tundra and Sequoia are part time system. Not even an auto 4WD is offered.

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 07-22-22 at 04:19 PM.
Old 07-23-22, 06:40 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,372 Likes on 1,557 Posts

ha yeah, LX600 vs LC500 would be an interesting comparison.

It's funny, I drive a lot of SUVs and trucks and the off-road variants (like the Heritage Edition, TRD Pro, and some Fords) also end up handling better ON road compared the standard trims. I think the larger tires help (coupled with special suspensions).
yes i think i saw a raptor review once that was so impressed with it's handling AND comfort on ROADS... possibly bigger tire sidewalls and huge suspension travel. have you driven a raptor?
Old 07-26-22, 10:47 AM
MPalmer
CL Editor

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
ha yeah, LX600 vs LC500 would be an interesting comparison.

yes i think i saw a raptor review once that was so impressed with it's handling AND comfort on ROADS... possibly bigger tire sidewalls and huge suspension travel. have you driven a raptor?
That may have been my review. i posted one here in Car Chat a couple of months ago. But, yeah, The Raptor is about as refined as a truck can get on-road thanks to fat chunky 37-inch tires, and its adjustable long-travel suspension. The TRD Pro also drives really well, but feels more truck-ish.
Old 07-26-22, 10:49 AM
MPalmer
CL Editor

I am not sure if there is anything difference in the heritage than the non heritage for Land Cruiser. Always thought they were same suspension. The ride you are noticing is vey likely from the thicker rubber in the tires for off roading. I think the wheels are smaller too. I put for the first time Yokohama tires on my 04 4Runner, much more aggressive and it has lots of tread, way more than the Michelin tires I had before. I notice the ride is much better than before, far more absorbing. I've always like the firmer rides of Toyota SUVs over Lexus models...but that is just me.

Also for the non hybrid parts which the Sequoia gets and the LX does not. Maybe it has something to do with the full time 4WD system. But the LS500h does have full time awd. Tundra and Sequoia are part time system. Not even an auto 4WD is offered.
Great points. Tires play a big part of ride quality for any vehicle. And, yeah, there's something about the LX that's different from its Toyota siblings. I thought maybe it was about battery pack placement, but that's a good guess too. Cheers!
Old 07-28-22, 11:37 AM
1111GS

Received 91 Likes on 79 Posts

I may be subjective but I think you sum it well... "it's hard to recommend this $130K model" I drove an F Sports before... Not worth it at all IMO. One came up from behind yesterday... I told me wife... "the new LX is coming up on your side. That's the same one version I test drove." "How much does this cost?" she replied. I just threw a number... probably around 150K with the mark up and 6+ months to wait. "Why would someone want to pay that much for this thing? This must be why there are more Escalades around here." "Yeah I know but some will still get it and also is willing to wait to get it too."
Old 07-28-22, 11:44 AM
MPalmer
CL Editor

Originally Posted by 1111GS
I may be subjective but I think you sum it well... "it's hard to recommend this $130K model" I drove an F Sports before... Not worth it at all IMO. One came up from behind yesterday... I told me wife... "the new LX is coming up on your side. That's the same one version I test drove." "How much does this cost?" she replied. I just threw a number... probably around 150K with the mark up and 6+ months to wait. "Why would someone want to pay that much for this thing? This must be why there are more Escalades around here." "Yeah I know but some will still get it and also is willing to wait to get it too."
How did the F Sport handle on the LX?

Obviously, we know Lexus doesn't add any power, but even on something cheaper like the UX and NX, the F Sport suspension tightens them up nicely and the seats are great. (Although, when I saw the F Sport at SEMA, the LX's seats didn't look as bolstered as a typical F Sport seat.)

I'm hoping to drive the F Sport and standard models as loaners become available in the Los Angeles area. In the meantime, I'll be driving the Tundra Capstone next month.
Old 07-28-22, 12:38 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by 1111GS
This type of vehicle really is for those who have already had an LX. I can’t see sales growing factoring in Land Cruiser. I can’t imagine, there will be any conquest buyers. As for the Escalade, the Cadillac is definitely a league up on the Lexus. But those who have had a Lexus LX before, will be very happy with it