Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

MM Retro Write-Up: 2016-2019 Buick Cascada

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-22, 03:27 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall

Having buttons is often better than computer touch-screens......you don't have to scroll through a bunch of stuff to get things done.
I agree. this was so really nice design. Has a screen but also has redundant buttons. Embedding too many features on screen is a dumb idea

The way a car rides is all about preference MM
Old 07-24-22, 03:41 PM
Bob04
Lead Lap

Received 261 Likes on 189 Posts

That jittery ride is because of those ridiculous (standard) 20" tires and wheels......they have no place on a car like this. Why Buick used them is beyond me.
e
Having buttons is often better than computer touch-screens......you don't have to scroll through a bunch of stuff to get things done.
Not jittery. Downright harsh. 80s IROC Camaro harsh.

And buttons aren't the issues. It's the number of buttons. Teeny tiny buttons with teeny tiny icons and fonts. All crammed together into a tiny place below a tiny screen. Looks like they forgot their average customer is 135 years old. Old people can't read all that.
Old 07-24-22, 03:45 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Bob04
Not jittery. Downright harsh. 80s IROC Camaro harsh.
Are your sure you rode in a Cascada? C & D says it has a comfortable ride…

Old 07-24-22, 03:59 PM
Bob04
Lead Lap

They are wrong. The ride is terrible.

Old 07-24-22, 04:15 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by tex2670
I don't blame GM for doing this. Opel isn't sold in the US, and most Americans don't even know what it is. Why spend a ton of money to differentiate a vehicle from one US customers won't see.
Oh, I agree from a buisness point of view. If it isn't broken, don't fix it. In fact, I wish that GM had never sold their stake in Opel....or Holden. I miss both of their products. Perfect case in point..........look at the First-Generation Buick Encore, which was another clearly re-badged Opel product (Mokka). Although I didn't care for either its diminutive size or body-styling (even smaller than my Encore GX), it sold in almost Camry/Accord numbers.

It's a shame this car was so out of date and sub par; it's a decent looking car.
Well, except for the wagon-wheels and rubber-band tires which screw up the ride, I though this was an excellent product.....and superbly built by convertible standards, for the price.
Old 07-24-22, 04:19 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
Are your sure you rode in a Cascada? C & D says it has a comfortable ride…

They are wrong. The ride is terrible.
Gotta go with Bob on this one, Jill. This is clearly an unacceptable ride for a Buick product....particularly over bumps. I disagree with C&D....but one must keep in mind that C&D is traditionally sport-oriented, and what some of us (like me and Bob) find stiff, they may consider it acceptable.

Originally Posted by LexsCTJIll
The way a car rides is all about preference MM
Agreed. But, although I'm a car enthusiast in general, I'm a Buick man at heart...and Buicks are not supposed to have the manners of a Go-Kart.

I DO agree wth you, however, about dash/console buttons....although I'm getting more used to touch-screens, I do still prefer the buttons.

Last edited by mmarshall; 07-24-22 at 04:23 PM.
Old 07-24-22, 04:26 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Gotta go with Bob on this one, Jill. This is clearly an unacceptable ride for a Buick product....particularly over bumps. I disagree with C&D....but one must keep in mind that C&D is traditionally sport-oriented, and what some of us (like me and Bob) find stiff, they may consider it acceptable.

Agreed. But, although I'm a car enthusiast in general, I'm a Buick man at heart...and Buicks are not supposed to have the manners of a Go-Kart.

I DO agree wth you, however, about dash/console buttons....although I'm getting more used to touch-screens, I do still prefer the buttons.

Strange MM. even Motor Trend says the ride is smooth…then comfortable

The buttons are a great idea. Far superior than having buttons in the screen. Have you ever tried to change the hvac on some of the older Lexus models with the screen? You need to make multiple steps just to turn off the AC or some fan speed changes. Even worse is the remote touch…but here, Buick gets it right. . I think your LaCrosse was more complicated than it need to be.

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 07-24-22 at 04:33 PM.
Old 07-24-22, 04:39 PM
Bob04
Lead Lap

I was pleasantly surprised how much room the passengers side had when I moved the seat all the way down and back. I didn't think I was going to be able to get into it, but I actually had plenty of room.
Old 07-24-22, 04:55 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Strange MM. even Motor Trend says the ride is smooth…then comfortable.
I gave the Cascada a test-drive over all kinds of paved road surfaces, I disagree. Like I said, most of the car-mags are sport-oriented, and (within reason) like stiff underpinnings and sharp handling.

I think your LaCrosse was more complicated than it need to be.
Several Buicks, though, have both touch-screen-controls AND buttons. You can adjust the climate system, for example, either way. The Lacrosse had some buttons, but not as many as I would have liked.
Old 07-25-22, 05:06 AM
tex2670
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Strange MM. even Motor Trend says the ride is smooth…then comfortable

Car mags like sporty rides. @mmarshall likes something a little more traditional Buick-like.
Old 07-25-22, 08:46 AM
Felix
Pole Position

Received 498 Likes on 433 Posts

And buttons aren't the issues. It's the number of buttons. Teeny tiny buttons with teeny tiny icons and fonts. All crammed together into a tiny place below a tiny screen. Looks like they forgot their average customer is 135 years old. Old people can't read all that.
That's what i thought also, Why so many buttons for?
Old 07-25-22, 08:55 AM
Felix
Pole Position

Received 498 Likes on 433 Posts

Its actually a very good convertible.......Lot of great features for the cost, ppl can actually fit in the rear. Like the belt presenters, how the front seats move forward for ppl in the rear, how stiff the unibody is which explains the weight. The top material is first class & you got to <3 how the top works, very much like the gen 6 Camaro's.....A great converible for ppl wanting a cruiser 'vert.....Manufactured in Poland.......
Old 07-25-22, 09:48 AM
tex2670
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Felix
Its actually a very good convertible.......Lot of great features for the cost, ppl can actually fit in the rear. Like the belt presenters, how the front seats move forward for ppl in the rear, how stiff the unibody is which explains the weight. The top material is first class & you got to <3 how the top works, very much like the gen 6 Camaro's.....A great converible for ppl wanting a cruiser 'vert.....Manufactured in Poland.......
LOL, it didn't even come with a proximity key.
Old 07-25-22, 10:15 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by tex2670
Car mags like sporty rides. @mmarshall likes something a little more traditional Buick-like.
Don't accuse me of claiming that the Cascada has a too soft or too firm ride. Not my claim. It is always good to respect viewpoints from a variety of sources/angles.

Originally Posted by Felix
Great styling as well. Very functional ergonomics.
Old 07-25-22, 10:32 AM
tex2670
Lexus Champion

Don't accuse me of claiming that the Cascada has a too soft or too firm ride. Not my claim. It is always good to respect viewpoints from a variety of sources/angles.
Not sure why so defensive. I didn't "accuse" anything. I replied to your post about how the car rides--with what I assume are YOUR red marks highlighting that info. If you don't want to take a position on how the car rides, don't post anything about the car's ride either way; since C&D and MT aren't the ones posting, I'm going to reply to the member who is posting.

Quick Reply: MM Retro Write-Up: 2016-2019 Buick Cascada