Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

A personal check for a new car purchase?

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-22 | 07:17 AM
UTChE96
Driver

I have done this before. They checked my credit first.

Last edited by UTChE96; 07-28-22 at 10:33 AM.
Old 07-28-22 | 08:22 AM
tex2670
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
i believe dealers do credit checks all the time without informing the consumer.
Can they do that if they don't have your SSN? Just based on name, address & phone #?
Old 07-28-22 | 08:41 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by tex2670
Can they do that if they don't have your SSN? Just based on name, address & phone #?
good article here:
https://www.paulmankin.com/auto-frau...our-permission
Old 07-28-22 | 08:50 AM
RX469
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Trackruner
I have gone to the bank to get a cashier's check, but I have never actually written a check, lol.

I would want to know if the dealer took Venmo or Zelle. Last time I bought a car I swiped my debit card after using the max amount on my credit card they would allow.
OP, if you don't mind me asking this question since this post came up about credit cards, if not I will remove it.

What's people's experiences with purchasing with credit cards today, meaning most recently as I'm sure "rules" changes with the times? What's the maximum you were allowed to swipe?
Old 07-28-22 | 08:54 AM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

I have purchased many cars over the years at different dealerships and have always paid the down payment with personal check
Old 07-28-22 | 08:56 AM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by RX469
OP, if you don't mind me asking this question since this post came up about credit cards, if not I will remove it.

What's people's experiences with purchasing with credit cards today, meaning most recently as I'm sure "rules" changes with the times? What's the maximum you were allowed to swipe?
When I bought my Polestar and they delivered it in January, I paid the down payment by credit card. The maximum was $10K by card, but that is set by the dealerships and there is nothing set in stone as far as I know
Old 07-28-22 | 08:56 AM
Gerf
Pole Position

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
i believe dealers do credit checks all the time without informing the consumer.
That's true, last year when I bought and paid with a bank draft the dealer still did a credit enquiry on me.
Old 07-28-22 | 09:21 AM
timmy0tool

i hope this is not a tangent but how do you know what amount to put on a cashier's check when doing a transaction at the dealer?
i imagine i would negotiate first then after a price is agreed on i would have to leave to go to the bank to get the exact amount. wouldn't this be an odd gesture, or par for the course? can the bank give a blank cashier's check ahead of time with an agreed limit?). please educate me.
Old 07-28-22 | 09:39 AM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by tex2670
This would be how I would expect it to go. I'm thinking that the buyer could show the dealer on a mobile app the current account balance to re-assure the dealer the funds are there...but, also, you could have someone literally at the bank and text them to go ahead and withdraw all the $$ from the account after you showed the dealer.

I guess I should be pleasantly surprised that so many dealers are that trusting...
Getting a cashier's check takes literally 2 minutes. Some people (not here) act like that's such a huge big deal. Obviously a dealer is going to take a check signed by a bank and give you your boat/car immediately. That's how it went with me. So I stopped at the bank for 5 minutes on my way there... it wasn't a big deal lol.
Old 07-28-22 | 09:55 AM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Originally Posted by AJT123
Getting a cashier's check takes literally 2 minutes. Some people (not here) act like that's such a huge big deal. Obviously a dealer is going to take a check signed by a bank and give you your boat/car immediately. That's how it went with me. So I stopped at the bank for 5 minutes on my way there... it wasn't a big deal lol.

I’d like to know where you bank... Any visit to any of my banks or credit unions in the last 2 years are minimum 30 minute trips with long lines (not counting the extra travel time there & parking). Even when I have an appointment.

Regardless why take even two minutes when I can just take my personal checkbook with me and I’m done.
Old 07-28-22 | 10:01 AM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Originally Posted by timmy0tool
i hope this is not a tangent but how do you know what amount to put on a cashier's check when doing a transaction at the dealer?
i imagine i would negotiate first then after a price is agreed on i would have to leave to go to the bank to get the exact amount. wouldn't this be an odd gesture, or par for the course? can the bank give a blank cashier's check ahead of time with an agreed limit?). please educate me.
sounds like a fun negotiation tactic I might try someday

show up with a cashiers check for what your minimum spend for a vehicle is already made out to the dealer. “Here’s what you have to do to get me into that car today!”
Old 07-28-22 | 10:05 AM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by DaveGS4
I’d like to know where you bank... Any visit to any of my banks or credit unions in the last 2 years are minimum 30 minute trips with long lines (not counting the extra travel time there & parking). Even when I have an appointment.

Regardless why take even two minutes when I can just take my personal checkbook with me and I’m done.
Regions. It actually took less than 5 minutes..

Fair enough about the bolded, I don't see why they couldn't just verify a personal check.
Old 07-28-22 | 10:15 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Depends on the dealer, I have paid C$40000+ for a brand new Acura TL over twenty years ago, and the owner/manager of the dealership told me he would accept a personal check, he said he almost never get bad checks especially those of large amounts, so that’s what I did. But other dealers insisted that they get certified checks/bank drafts.
Old 07-28-22 | 10:16 AM
Gerf
Pole Position

I went to the dealers, looked at and test drove the car then made the deal and gave xk on credit card.. shook hands still felt like I was getting bent over....went to the bank and got the cheque, came back the next morning and finished the paperwork.

Old 07-28-22 | 10:38 AM
tex2670
Lexus Champion

Well I always have had a deal fully-negotiated before I arrive at the dealer for a purchase. This allows me, if paying cash, to get a cashier's check ahead of time.

If a dealer has a limit on the amount they will take on a personal check, if you are paying cash and you are still going to be negotiating at the dealer, you could get a cashier's check for some amount which you *know* will be less than the final price will be with TTL, and then write a personal check for the difference.

Quick Reply: A personal check for a new car purchase?