Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

A personal check for a new car purchase?

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-22, 07:55 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 69 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by mbarron37
Nope. Walked. Check or nothing.
They don’t need to accept your terms to sell? They could turn around when you show up and demand more money. I do believe they were unethical…but such is life..

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 07-29-22 at 08:00 PM.
Old 07-30-22, 06:26 AM
mbarron37
Advanced

Received 77 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
they said you had to finance, that is neither lying nor cheating nor theft, just what they chose to stipulate. so how did they lie or cheat or steal?

i expect lying at dealers, so it doesn't bother me now.
They cannot make anyone finance, it is against the law. Either way, I am over them and on to other potential vehicles.
Old 07-30-22, 06:32 AM
mbarron37
Advanced

Quick update to get this back on track. We found another RAV4, they take checks, but stated it needs to be a Bank certified check.

One thing I did notice in this recent search is that some dealers list a price for the vehicle, but in the detail state that you must finance through the dealer or pay a markup of xxx dollars. I did see this in one online listing, saying 3rd party financing or checks will pay a $2k markup.

I hate dealers 👎. Oh well, I won’t be shopping for a while after this. Hopefully……..

Old 07-30-22, 06:47 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

I hate dealers 👎. Oh well, I won’t be shopping for a while after this. Hopefully……..
Lots of no haggle dealers out there. Just buy from one of them. My sister bought her 2WD RAV4 used at a no haggle. I bought my last four cars no haggle.
Old 07-30-22, 07:09 AM
patgilm
Lead Lap

Received 295 Likes on 211 Posts

I refuse to buy any vehicle during this crazy time unless I absolutely had to for the reasons the OP needs one or one of my current cars is totaled. Thankfully I got two new cars a year ago before all of this craziness. I used to not mind dealers but the more I read about experiences here it makes me start to dislike them more and more.
Old 07-30-22, 08:04 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,771 Likes on 1,978 Posts

they said you had to finance, that is neither lying nor cheating nor theft, just what they chose to stipulate. so how did they lie or cheat or steal?
Like he said, they can't force anybody to finance, its illegal. We do have consumer protections in this country. So yes, telling him he had to finance in order to buy was a lie.
Old 07-30-22, 08:54 AM
Margate330
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,029 Likes on 814 Posts

Originally Posted by patgilm
I refuse to buy any vehicle during this crazy time unless I absolutely had to for the reasons the OP needs one or one of my current cars is totaled. Thankfully I got two new cars a year ago before all of this craziness. I used to not mind dealers but the more I read about experiences here it makes me start to dislike them more and more.
That's me too!
I'll hold on to my old RX330 until I see where things are going.
However, I'm not optimistic since today we have an engineered chip shortage by design IMO and next year it will be something else. lol
Car prices will not come down and this is the new normal is what I'm saying, just my theory from what I'm seeing at this point unless something changes.

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
Lots of no haggle dealers out there. Just buy from one of them. My sister bought her 2WD RAV4 used at a no haggle. I bought my last four cars no haggle.
I like the idea of "no haggle" dealers but I have always found them to be on the high side $$$ compared to others.
Anyone else notice this?

Originally Posted by SW17LS
Like he said, they can't force anybody to finance, its illegal. We do have consumer protections in this country. So yes, telling him he had to finance in order to buy was a lie.
Like you and others who have bought so many cars, I know I'll be coming here for advice before I buy anything. lol
It's a dog eat dog world ot there and knowledge seems to be the only way to defend oneself!
Old 07-30-22, 10:40 AM
1111GS
Forum Moderator

Received 97 Likes on 85 Posts

I've never had issue with personal checks but maybe because I either finance or lease so technically it's not my car.
Unless they have it written out in their business... otherwise they can't just change the way to do to make more money. I remember this one finance manager telling me he won't be able to let me go with my bank for lower rate. I asked him why? He said, "it's our policy." I asked him if they had it written somewhere. "No, it's not written. It's a verbal policy." Lol. I told him to check with his finance director and let me know. He later called back, "we'll match whatever rate your bank gives you." Lol
Old 07-30-22, 02:21 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,504 Likes on 1,646 Posts

Like he said, they can't force anybody to finance, its illegal.
can you state what law would be broken?

here's 2 articles saying they can.

https://getjerry.com/questions/can-a...side-financing

https://getjerry.com/questions/can-a...r-through-them

excerpt:

Dealerships can refuse any type of financing for any reason. It’s not immoral or unethical; it’s just business.

That said, car dealers usually refuse outside financing if they’ve lowered the price enough. To make up for this discount, they want you to finance with them to recoup that money. It’s a simple break-even policy from their standpoint.

You can always walk away from the deal if it doesn’t feel right...
Old 07-30-22, 02:25 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,504 Likes on 1,646 Posts

and texas video saying there's complaints about forced dealer financing and the state's looking into it.

Old 07-31-22, 07:07 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

‘There was no deal to buy the car. So the dealer didn’t force anyone. Don’t you make a deal to buy a car first? Then…explore payment
Old 07-31-22, 07:14 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,771 Likes on 1,978 Posts

can you state what law would be broken?

here's 2 articles saying they can.

https://getjerry.com/questions/can-a...side-financing

https://getjerry.com/questions/can-a...r-through-them

excerpt:
It depends on the state. He called his state AG's office and they told him that in his state, it was illegal. That doesn't mean it is illegal everywhere.

In MA, they have to take checks (per MA Attorney Generals office). I filed a formal complaint today. Probably won’t go anywhere, but makes me feel better 😎
Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
‘There was no deal to buy the car. So the dealer didn’t force anyone. Don’t you make a deal to buy a car first? Then…explore payment
He had a deal in front of him to buy the car then he was in the finance office where they told him he would have to finance it, that he could not pay cash. It doesn't work that way, you sign all your paperwork at one time in the finance office. There aren't two agreements.
Old 07-31-22, 07:14 AM
Margate330
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,029 Likes on 814 Posts

^^ Good video from Bit, enjoyed it.
Can't believe they're getting away with it.

Listen to how dumb I was.
When I was young I bought a car at the dealer and when it came time to sign the financing paperwork, the man said I didn't have perfect credit and I would have a "better chance" to get the loan if I would approve the "bumper to bumper warranty" and "gap insurance".

And I quote/paraphrase, "bank would look more favorably on a "less risky loan" and a "protected asset".

Like an idiot, I fell for it hook, line, and sinker. haha
In my defense, I only fell for it once tho but feeling like an idiot lasted longer than the loan and everytime I stroked the monthly payment!

Last edited by Margate330; 07-31-22 at 07:19 AM.
Old 07-31-22, 07:26 AM
mbarron37
Advanced

Dealers are trying to get away with anything they can. Most consumers don’t know any better. A dealer cannot force anything that would be concluded as unfair and deceptive practices. They will try though!!
Old 07-31-22, 07:32 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

It depends on the state. He called his state AG's office and they told him that in his state, it was illegal. That doesn't mean it is illegal everywhere.

He had a deal in front of him to buy the car then he was in the finance office where they told him he would have to finance it, that he could not pay cash. It doesn't work that way, you sign all your paperwork at one time in the finance office. There aren't two agreements.
‘Never been my experience for a cash deal. Agree to the price, sign paperwork to agree to that piece…leave a deposit…then come in and pay. Every car I’ve ever bought by cash was “here is the paperwork…$63,000”. (My last buy) Cheque comes out on the day I pick up the car. I’ve never paid for a car with a cheque before I picked it up. Never.

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 07-31-22 at 07:43 AM.

Quick Reply: A personal check for a new car purchase?