Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

New cartrek, EV vs huge engines

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-22, 05:02 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Received 2,244 Likes on 1,747 Posts

Originally Posted by JeffKeryk
Well, in the 5 watch out for soccer moms. Hunnerd ain't nuthin...
Soccer mom's are the worst. Especially when they are in a hurry....
Old 08-02-22, 08:02 AM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

Received 1,249 Likes on 930 Posts

Originally Posted by AMIRZA786
None of those are "ordinary" cars, these are EXPENSIVE higher end sports cars/Super cars, you are comparing to regular, daily driver EV's owned by moms and pops, uncles and aunts. But as I stated, I'm more concerned about daily driving.

That said, the Polestar 2 did pretty well on the Nurburgring:

https://youtu.be/tOgS46o2Pv8
Price rules all, I can get any of those for cheaper than an EV
Old 08-02-22, 08:41 AM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Striker223
No, not true my friend. Most of those cars you listed are above $50K used. If you just narrow down just on the BMW M cars, unless you buy something from the 90's or early 2000's, they are in the 50K range (I just looked through Edmunds at some 2015 BMW M5's). But regardless of the price, you are still having to use as a comparison high performance sports cars to family EV's. Take the Model 3P...it's basically a family sedan, daily commuter. It's not a true track car. I mean people take them to the track, but when I was at Willow a few years back, people were tracking Corollas, Civics, and one guy even brought his VW Beetle, though he slightly modified it by taking out the back seats to make it lighter.

OK I get it, you're not a fan of EV's. I totally accept that you own a lot of nice ICE vehicles. But you have to acknowledge that you have to raise the bar very high when comparing regular cars to EV's. A daily family oriented EV that Joe Schmoe drives to work everyday can compete with high end sports cars, and at the same time being more energy efficient

Last edited by AMIRZA786; 08-02-22 at 08:51 AM.
Old 08-02-22, 02:43 PM
Motorola
Lexus Test Driver

Received 59 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by Striker223
You can get them for cheaper than any new performance ICE vehicle too, so why not compare those rather than make EV's the subject of this totally irrelevant comparison?
Old 08-02-22, 04:07 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts

This is giving me the early 2000s vibe: "Why buy a Ferrari when you can get a used Honda Civic and add in a turbo plus nitrous, it'll be faster and cheaper"
Old 08-02-22, 04:16 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by GSteg
This is giving me the early 2000s vibe: "Why buy a Ferrari when you can get a used Honda Civic and add in a turbo plus nitrous, it'll be faster and cheaper"
Reminds me of a friend who blew two engines (the second one was actually built) and two transmissions on his 10th Gen Civic Si trying to achieve 500 WHP

https://www.civicx.com/forum/threads...p-again.72208/

I'll give him this: he is persistent!
Old 08-02-22, 05:34 PM
Margate330
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,029 Likes on 814 Posts

I'm actually glad for this thread.
I been wondering from the start if EV's are all spent after a pull until the electric motors cool off or if they can maintain the high speeds without roasting anything. haha
Tuned in, suscribed.
Old 08-02-22, 09:12 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Margate330
I been wondering from the start if EV's are all spent after a pull until the electric motors cool off or if they can maintain the high speeds without roasting anything. haha
Tuned in, suscribed.
This is going to depend on the EV. And it's not the electric motors that overheat, it would be the batteries. If the batteries are managed and cooled properly, heating is not going to be an issue. Batteries are usually kept at proper temps using liquid cooling as well as running the AC lines throughout the battery housing. I've driven at sustained speeds of 85 MPH in over 100F temps and still have had very good efficiency, maybe dropping to 95 MPG equivalent. On one of my trips I wanted to see at what point my car starts pulling power, I hit over a 100 and I still had pretty much full power at my disposal.

There are several members on the Polestar forum that regularly take their Polestars to the track with no issues. Two of the members regularly post their numbers on the forum, if you look in my Polestar thread you will find the posts with their numbers. Just to be clear, it's not a track focused car, but people still like to take it on the track and dragstrip. Polestar is actually coming out with a track focused Polestar 2 called the BST, they are releasing 47 of them in North America
Old 08-03-22, 04:43 AM
Motorola
Lexus Test Driver

Received 59 Likes on 45 Posts

Tuned in, suscribed.
EV's aren't some mechanically uniform entity. Each one has different cooling systems based on what purpose they're designed for. A Taycan Turbo S is not going to have the same cooling system as a Leaf. Power delivery at high speeds has been a weakness of some EV motors, but we're seeing that change with new designs like the carbon rotor sleeves in a Model S Plaid.

Last edited by Motorola; 08-03-22 at 04:49 AM.
Old 08-03-22, 07:53 AM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Motorola
EV's aren't some mechanically uniform entity. Each one has different cooling systems based on what purpose they're designed for. A Taycan Turbo S is not going to have the same cooling system as a Leaf. Power delivery at high speeds has been a weakness of some EV motors, but we're seeing that change with new designs like the carbon rotor sleeves in a Model S Plaid.
^ This ^ Thanks for filling in the gaps I left. I've also read that two speed transmissions are another possibility, but I heard a Lucid engineer say they are not necessary
Old 08-03-22, 09:04 AM
Allen K
-0----0-
Forum Moderator

Received 802 Likes on 560 Posts

Taycan has a 2 speed
Old 08-03-22, 09:07 AM
Margate330
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,029 Likes on 814 Posts

^^ Thanks everyone for filling in my blanks too.
Haven't looked at new cars in years but ya'll are helping me drastically shorten my learning curve on what's available.

This excellent video by swajames got me wondering if the EV's can maintain high speeds without cooking the motors since the host didn't cover that.
Been scratching head ever since thinking about it.

Highly recommed for anyone who hasn't seen it, Post #1 at link: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/car...to-the-m5.html

Spoiler

Old 08-03-22, 09:28 AM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Haven't looked at new cars in years but ya'll are helping me drastically shorten my learning curve on what's available.

This excellent video by swajames got me wondering if the EV's can maintain high speeds without cooking the motors since the host didn't cover that.

Highly recommed for anyone who hasn't seen it, Post #1 at link: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/car...to-the-m5.html

Spoiler

I don't think the E39 had the last laugh at all, it had a 70 mph head start, and still lost. Dialing back the top speeds has absolutely nothing to do with protecting the systems. The fastest speed limit on an American highway is 85 MPH, which is a 40 mile stretch between Austin and San Antonio. We don't have the Autobahn here, therefore cars in the US don't need the same top speeds as their European counterparts. Think about it, these cars both have over 1000 hp...you don't think they are capable of high speeds? In fact the Plaid's top speed has been opened up to about 170 MPH.

That's not to say the E39 is not a fast capable car...it most definitely is, just not as capable as the Lucid or Plaid
Old 08-03-22, 10:11 AM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Allen K
Taycan has a 2 speed
I would imagine it improves range and efficiency by lowering the rotating speed of the electric motors...which normally run around 20K RPM's!
Old 08-03-22, 10:17 AM
swajames
Pole Position

Received 720 Likes on 450 Posts

Spoiler

Glad you liked the video! The thing for me was how well it demonstrated the raw power from the electric cars with their ability to catch up and beat a car driving past them at 70 MPH when they were stationary, with the M5 also accelerating from its 70 MPH rolling start. I thought it was a neat way to show that power and it was a very well produced video. Of note, the Lucid would also have passed the M5 just a few feet after the finish line.

Quick Reply: New cartrek, EV vs huge engines