Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Nissan Maxima will end production in 2023

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-22, 11:37 AM
Hoovey689

Received 125 Likes on 83 Posts
Default Nissan Maxima will end production in 2023

Another one bites the dust

Like so many beloved sedans before it, Nissan has confirmed that the Maxima will be ascending to the great junkyard in the sky once the current-generation model's production run is completed sometime in the middle of 2023. While the news certainly isn't surprising, it's still a bitter moment for fans of large sedans that seek to blur the line between personal luxury and sportiness. There aren't many such machines left — some have been lost as brands like Pontiac and Oldsmobile were killed off, others like the Chevy Impala and Buick Regal from America and the Acura RLX and Lexus GS from Japan died as their sales figures dwindled in the face of the SUV boom and automakers' investment into electrification.

Some of those same reasons are being attributed to the Maxima's demise. In a statement made to Motor1, Nissan said it "is prioritizing electric vehicles and advanced technologies ... Additionally, earlier this year Nissan announced two all-new, all-electric models at the Canton assembly plant in Mississippi."

The Maxima's sales total of 3,753 units through the first half of 2022 represents a decline of over 62 percent compared to 2021, and even the prior year's figures pale in comparison to the Maxima's glory years in the 1990s and early 2000s. Put simply, there isn't a sizable market for a V6-powered, front-wheel-drive and CVT-equipped sedan of limited practicality. Buyers are putting their money toward evermore-luxurious pick trucks, utility vehicles and electric vehicles instead.

But this may not actually be the official end of the Maxima name. Nissan's statement leaves open the possibility that its big sedan could make a comeback in some form in the future. "Please stay tuned for future Nissan Maxima news as we empower journeys through exciting vehicles and tech innovation," says Nissan, leading us to believe an electric or electrified replacement may be on the horizon. So stay tuned, Maxima fans.
Source
Old 08-04-22, 12:44 PM
Motorola
Lead Lap

Received 38 Likes on 29 Posts

It's surprising that it's lived as long as it had. Smaller and more expensive than an Altima with the only saving grace being a V6. Can't even get AWD with it like the Altima.
Old 08-04-22, 12:53 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 167 Likes on 99 Posts

Like the recently announced Sonata demise, the same problem here--- awkward styling did not help the situation.
Old 08-04-22, 12:56 PM
Motorola
Lead Lap

Received 38 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by Fizzboy7
Like the recently announced Sonata demise, the same problem here--- awkward styling did not help the situation.
The Sonata isn't dead, it's just been announced for 2023.
Old 08-04-22, 02:02 PM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Received 217 Likes on 182 Posts

Uggghhhhh a Maxima used to be SUCH A NICE CAR, and EVERYONE thought so. I had a beautiful '97 SE 5 speed. Poor man's 540i but way more reliable. Maximas used to be very, very desirable. I always thought of a Maxima as a half to 3/4 step up from a Camry or Accord. The gen I had the interior was just about as nice as a Lexus inside.

Definitely a contender for best name of car ever. MAXIMA just rolls off your tongue and sounds high end.

Last edited by AJT123; 08-04-22 at 02:08 PM.
Old 08-04-22, 02:07 PM
tex2670
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by AJT123
Uggghhhhh a Maxima used to be SUCH A NICE CAR, and EVERYONE thought so. I had a beautiful '97 SE 5 speed. Poor man's 540i but way more reliable. Maximas used to be very, very desirable. I always thought of a Maxima as a half to 3/4 step up from a Camry or Accord. The gen I had the interior was just about as nice as a Lexus inside.
Ok but to be fair, when was the last time the Maxima was "very, very desirable"? 15 years ago? It's just not a car that makes a ton of sense next to an Altima in today's market.
Old 08-04-22, 02:26 PM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by tex2670
Ok but to be fair, when was the last time the Maxima was "very, very desirable"? 15 years ago? It's just not a car that makes a ton of sense next to an Altima in today's market.
The Maxima deserves a proper 40 being poured out. They were great cars, at least until the CVT got dropped in.
Old 08-04-22, 02:28 PM
GFerg
Speaks French in Russian

Received 64 Likes on 49 Posts

Wow, Maxima nameplate is to Nissan as Camry is to Toyota pretty much. Lots of history with that name here. But seems like they plan on bringing it back at some point which is good, but probably as an SUV, or that ugly crap Toyota did with the Crown stateside.

I had two. My first car being a 97 SE 5-speed. Got me through high school, college, and my first year in the workforce. 280k miles. Became a safety hazard at those miles. Literally everything that wasn't aluminum turned to rust. My radiator was no longer supported by a frame, it was hanging on by the coolant lines, engine mounts were toast, axles gone. Literally drove it into the ground.

Replaced with a 2009 Maxima, first year with the CVT. Didn't mind the CVT here cause the engine was more powerful at 300hp, so unless you were flooring it everywhere, my 1 and only experience with CVT's was pleasant.
Old 08-04-22, 03:06 PM
tex2670
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

The Maxima deserves a proper 40 being poured out. They were great cars, at least until the CVT got dropped in.
I didn't say "great"; I said "very, very desirable", quoting someone else.

I'm not saying that I don't shed a tear for the Maxima; it has a legit place in auto history. The 80s Maxima SE started the trend of mainstream automakers producing "sporty" versions of sedans (and probably started the downfall of coupes). I 100% wanted my parents to get a Maxima SE instead of the boring Camry DX they got. But that's long ago. Still a nice, solid sedan, but not "very, very desirable". Not for a while it hasn't been.
Old 08-04-22, 03:16 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,959 Likes on 2,493 Posts

I bet most people don't know the first Maxima, the Datsun 810 Maxima came with a straight 6. Car was RWD.
Old 08-04-22, 03:36 PM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

Received 1,225 Likes on 910 Posts

Sad to hear, my Grandparents had a 1995 for a LONG time and it was surprisingly fun to drive
Old 08-04-22, 04:40 PM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by tex2670
I didn't say "great"; I said "very, very desirable", quoting someone else.

I'm not saying that I don't shed a tear for the Maxima; it has a legit place in auto history. The 80s Maxima SE started the trend of mainstream automakers producing "sporty" versions of sedans (and probably started the downfall of coupes). I 100% wanted my parents to get a Maxima SE instead of the boring Camry DX they got. But that's long ago. Still a nice, solid sedan, but not "very, very desirable". Not for a while it hasn't been.
Yeah I do agree, Maxima hasn't really been desirable in 20 years. I do think the last gen still looks great though.

Nevertheless in their day they were very nice. The SE had white dials, everyone made a big deal about it then. Great looking gauges.
Old 08-04-22, 04:42 PM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Striker223
Sad to hear, my Grandparents had a 1995 for a LONG time and it was surprisingly fun to drive
That's because it had a sweetheart of an engine :VQ30DE. The original VQ. It got tonnnnns of praise. It was only 190hp but felt like 220.
Old 08-04-22, 05:16 PM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

Received 1,225 Likes on 910 Posts

That's because it had a sweetheart of an engine :VQ30DE. The original VQ. It got tonnnnns of praise. It was only 190hp but felt like 220.
Thats really the only thing in that car that always worked.....expect the coils and injectors. I ended up replacing the whole suspension, CV axles, starter, rad, all 6 coils and injectors, all four window regs, two drivers window regs, the head unit needed a wire repair, and the cam sensor.

Every time I visited it was not running. I eventually convinced them to pass it on to someone else, plus the community was literally trying to get rid of it since it's understandably an eyesore when the average house there is $700k.....gated community and all that. The HOA just could not figure out a way to get rid of it since it didn't technically break any rules
Old 08-04-22, 07:20 PM
timmy0tool

Received 426 Likes on 380 Posts

Originally Posted by Motorola
It's surprising that it's lived as long as it had. Smaller and more expensive than an Altima with the only saving grace being a V6. Can't even get AWD with it like the Altima.
it's smaller than an altima? i thought it was bigger.

i also had a black 96 SE 5-speed with leather and man the torque on that thing was amazing - chirped 3rd gear! but it was certainly not as nice as a lexus of the same era. i remember it was distinctly nissan with the way the doors closed to the switch gear and the way the leather felt. lexus leather was more supple and softer.

Quick Reply: Nissan Maxima will end production in 2023