Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

MM Retro Write-Up: 1996-1999 Acura SLX

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-22, 05:05 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts
Default MM Retro Write-Up: 1996-1999 Acura SLX

IN A NUTSHELL: A rebadged Isuzu Trooper, roomy and space-efficient, but also sharing the Trooper’s tipsy-handling.

In the 1990’s, Honda was on a roll, with its well-built, reliable, and wildly-successful Accord and Civic variants, and winning accolades from auto magazines left and right. But, at the same time, more and more new-vehicle-buyers in the U.S. were starting to move away from traditional sedans/coupes and gravitate to SUVs, which, at the time, were becoming less like military vehicles and more and more family-oriented. However, most of the SUVs were still truck-based, as the coming Age of Crossovers was in its infancy, and had not really taken off yet. Sales-wise, the undisputed King of the family-oriented SUVs was, at that time, the also wildly-successful mid-size Ford Explorer….a spin-off of the Ford Ranger truck-platform. It was closely-followed by the Crown-Prince of the SUV world, the Jeep Grand Cherokee, and a couple of other mid-sized Princes…..the Dodge Durango and Chevrolet Trailblazer.

For whatever reason, perhaps because the company management simply did not understand the American truck/SUV market, or because they did not understand the concept of a family-oriented SUV, or because they just felt that they didn’t want to spend company $$$$$ on new SUV development……. anyhow, for whatever reason, Honda decided to hold off selling SUVs here in the U.S. They were making money hand-over-fist from the huge number of Accord/Civic sales and millions of happy repeat-customers.

Eventually, though, as the 1990s wore on, it became obvious to even Honda management that SUVs, even family-oriented ones, were not some Johnny-Come-Lately fad, but were here to stay. So, they decided to toss their hat into the ring and try and pick up some of the ever-increasing SUV sales and profits. The problem was, of course, as a result of earlier company-decisions, they had nothing to immediately offer. Since it would take several more years to develop all-new SUVs from scratch, Honda managers decided to contract with another Japanese-brand automaker, Isuzu, to borrow SUVs from them until their own Honda SUVs were ready. Those upcoming Honda SUVs, of course (CR-V and Pilot) turned out to be crossovers, not truck-based SUVs….but that is another story, for another write-up.

Isuzu had long-experience in building trucks and SUVs, and Honda officials generally felt comfortable about entering into a business-deal with them. By the terms of the agreement, Isuzu would produce the Honda Passport (a rebadged version of the compact Isuzu Rodeo SUV) and the Acura SLX (a rebadged version of the mid-sized Isuzu Trooper SUV). Acura, of course, was Honda’s premium/upmarket-division, so it got the larger and more refined of the two Isuzu SUVs….with some nice added trim and touches inside. These two Isuzu-sourced products were not as dead-reliable as most Honda products, but were reasonably well-built.

In return for receiving Isuzu-built SUVs, Honda agreed to produce the successful and ultra-refined Civic for Isuzu, and allow Isuzu to sell those rebadged Civics, in the home Japanese-market, as the latest version of the Isuzu I-Mark sedan/coupe. By that time, Isuzu was still selling in the U.S. market, but, although continuing to produce some Chevy/Geo-brand cars for GM, had dropped their own line of Isuzu-badged passenger-cars here. Unlike their experience with trucks and SUVs, Isuzu was never very successful in producing regular cars. I remember test-driving driving an original I-Mark here in the U.S., and although tough and with solid materials, it was quite unrefined, and had one of the crudest suspensions I ever sampled on a regular family-sedan….the shocks and springs on it felt like they were welded-on-solid. The Civics of that period were vastly-better cars overall, and Isuzu benefitted from that deal.

OK….back to the SLX. On paper, and, to some extent, on the road and in the hands of consumers, it was a pretty nice product. High. boxy, and space-efficient, it was very roomy inside for its outside dimensions. As long as you didn’t overdo it in the corners (more on that in a minute), it rode and drove fairly decently for a body-on-frame/truck-based SUV, had a manually-shifted transfer-case and off-road-capable 4WD system, although it was still a part-time system, unusable on dry pavement, and including auto-lock front-hubs so the driver or someone else didn’t have to physically get out of the vehicle and manually lock them. Unlike the standard 4-cylinder Trooper, the American-spec SLX only came with a 3.2L SOHC or DOHC V6 engine and 4-speed automatic transmission. It was felt by the marketers that the traditional three-pedal manual on some Troopers would not sell very well in the U.S. on an Acura-badged family-oriented SUV, and that most owners would appreciate the V6’s extra power when towing or loaded up for a family vacation.

The SLX, however, like the Trooper, did have one noted weakness…one that was also shared by a number of other SUVs of that vintage (Mitsubishi Montero, Ford Bronco II, Jeep CJ-5, etc….and, of course, the notorious Suzuki Samurai). Unless you were careful on sharp corners (which, IMO, anyone driving a truck-based SUV should be), the tall/high-stance and elevated center-of-gravity could leave the vehicle lying on its side…or on its roof. Like those other SUVs I mentioned, the SLX/Trooper failed the handling/rollover-test given by Consumer Reports, which runs the test with vehicles equipped with special outrigger side-rails (not shown in the picture above) that protect the vehicle from an actual flip-over, but show how much body-lean/tilt can be expected. And, of course, it must also be remembered that full roll-control and stability-systems were not in widespread use on SUVs at that time. Volvo, always safety-conscious, over and above the stability-system for steering-response, produced the first body-roll-control system for an SUV, and Ford benefitted from it by being Volvo's owner at the time.

The SLX (or the Trooper, for that matter) never sold in the U.S. in Ford-Explorer or Jeep-Grand-Cherokee numbers, but managed to keep its head above water until the CR test panned it…..then, sales dropped off considerably.

By that time, Honda’s own in-house crossover-SUVs had finished development, and came to market as the successful Honda CR-V/Pilot and Acura RDX/MDX, so, of course, that business-partnership with Isuzu was no longer needed or feasible. All four of them were successful, but the CR-V, in particular, like the Civic and Accord had earlier been, was a huge success, and, even today (2022) continues to be one of the top-sellers in the crossover market. The Acura MDX, which effectively replaced the SLX, did not quite equal the CR-V’s sales numbers, but has continued to find many happy and satisfied customers each year, although usually outsold by its competitor Lexus RX. Isuzu itself, overtime, became less and less of a factor in the American market, lacking both dealerships and products. At the time they folded and pulled out of the American market, they were selling nothing but a rebadged/decontented Chevy/GM truck (Isuzu I-270/350) and a decontented Chevy Trailblazer (Isuzu Ascender). They pulled out just in time (2009) for GM’s bankruptcy LOL.

And, as Always, Happy-Vehicle-Memories

MM

Last edited by mmarshall; 08-11-22 at 05:13 PM.
Old 08-11-22, 05:27 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

Wow I don’t ever remember this vehicle
Old 08-11-22, 05:44 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
It was only in production in the U.S. a few years......until Acura's own MDX was ready.

Besides, if you ever got a chance to see or drive a Trooper, it was essentially the same vehicle, minus some trim and comfort/convenience features.

Last edited by mmarshall; 08-11-22 at 06:52 PM.
Old 08-12-22, 07:00 AM
tex2670
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
That's because it was a terrible idea for Acura. Honda re-badged the Isuzu Rodeo and Acura rebadged the Trooper to rush to get an SUV into their lineups.
Old 08-12-22, 08:16 AM
Margate330
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,013 Likes on 806 Posts

I've never drove one but they look really nice to me, especially in the trim package posted above by mmarshall.
Btw, nice writeup mmarshall, thank you for taking the time to bring us fun stuff, appreciated.

Gotta admit pic below kills any love for the car due to Max Cringe Effect and wondering if it was fair or just a "hit piece" by unscrupulous competition to instill fear in buyers.
What ya'll think?

Originally Posted by mmarshall

IN A NUTSHELL: A rebadged Isuzu Trooper, roomy and space-efficient, but also sharing the Trooper’s tipsy-handling.
And, as Always, Happy-Vehicle-Memories

MM
Old 08-12-22, 10:32 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Margate330
Btw, nice writeup mmarshall, thank you for taking the time to bring us fun stuff, appreciated.
Thanks...glad you enjoyed it. Since the pandemic began over two years ago, I've been (mostly) writing up retro-vehicles from the past rather than new ones because of the tight market at new-vehicle dealerships.

Gotta admit pic below kills any love for the car due to Max Cringe Effect and wondering if it was fair or just a "hit piece" by unscrupulous competition to instill fear in buyers.
What ya'll think?
Consumer Reports roll-over testing is not staged.....it is, in fact, real, although that specific cover-picture may or may have not been altered. Here is an example, for instance, of a Daihatsu Rocky being roll-tested with the side-riggers for safety. This picture was apparently NOT staged.

Last edited by mmarshall; 08-12-22 at 10:36 AM.
Old 08-12-22, 01:25 PM
TangoRed
Lead Lap

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

I was involved in an accident as a passenger in those and wow did that they just fold up. Crash safety was an afterthought. Also Honda's efforts to field SUVs in their home market and in New Zealand led to another funny outsourced product that still remains Honda's only V8 product:

Side note - Volvo was hardly the first one to create stability control systems to mitigate roll overs. That was par for the course for luxury makers by the time Volvo debuted ROPS on the XC90. The Mercedes-Benz ML had a similar system upon debut, for example.
Old 08-12-22, 01:58 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by TangoRed
I was involved in an accident as a passenger in those and wow did that they just fold up. Crash safety was an afterthought. Also Honda's efforts to field SUVs in their home market and in New Zealand led to another funny outsourced product that still remains Honda's only V8 product:

Side note - Volvo was hardly the first one to create stability control systems to mitigate roll overs. That was par for the course for luxury makers by the time Volvo debuted ROPS on the XC90. The Mercedes-Benz ML had a similar system upon debut, for example.
To some extent, apples and oranges. Straight stability control affects steering input and handling response…oversteer or under steer. Nothing else. Roll control, by definition, also detects and corrects body lean and prevents dangerous levels of it that could lead to a rollover.
Old 08-12-22, 02:52 PM
TangoRed
Lead Lap

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
To some extent, apples and oranges. Straight stability control affects steering input and handling response…oversteer or under steer. Nothing else. Roll control, by definition, also detects and corrects body lean and prevents dangerous levels of it that could lead to a rollover.
That's all marketing. The Mercedes system includes a gyro sensor as well. They're no stranger to doing this as the R129 SL was the first production car with a pop up roll bar which...used data from the gyro sensor as one of its inputs for deployment. The XC90 did not have a mechanism to actively correct body lean, it just used the stability control to mitigate the outcome of whatever the vehicle is being put in.

Right from Volvo's site:
The RSC system registers if and how much the car's lateral inclination changes. This information is used to calculate the risk of the car overturning. If the car is at risk, its electronic stability control system engages, the engine torque is reduced and one or more wheels are braked until the car has regained its stability. https://www.volvocars.com/en-th/supp...bility-control
Old 08-12-22, 07:38 PM
Kira X
美少女戦士セーラームーン

Received 435 Likes on 358 Posts

I didn’t realize this vehicle existed so this was an interesting read. I don’t think I’ve ever seen a used one for sale. I appreciate you posting this.
Old 08-12-22, 07:53 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Kira X
I didn’t realize this vehicle existed so this was an interesting read. I don’t think I’ve ever seen a used one for sale. I appreciate you posting this.

Thanks. It's not surprising if you can't recall seeing one. It did not sell in large numbers.....certainly not like the popular MDX that followed it. The Isuzu-badged Trooper was not all that popular, either. Isuzu itself, as a brand, was never very poplar in the American market.
Old 08-12-22, 10:56 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 168 Likes on 100 Posts

At the time, I was persuading my parents to get one. The Trooper was trendy and had rugged looks. The Acura version added luxury, a name, and leased for cheap. It was actually a decent package and based on something appealing. Too bad about the tipping though.
Looking back, Honda had the right idea. But they should have just rushed their own SUV.