Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2023 Lexus UX250h Gets Cheaper FWD Model

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-22, 05:57 AM
tex2670
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
i think the car is aimed at younger buyers who either have child seats for the back or just go out with friends on the weekend, and don't need some giant suv.
If so, Lexus is doing a terrible marketing job. I have never seen a young person driving a UX.
Old 08-26-22, 06:27 AM
LexusChris
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

I see more and more UX out on the road so I guess the demand is there but definitely not a car i'm not interested in it's way too small and cargo space is almost useless too just like it's twin the Toyota CH-R.
Old 08-26-22, 12:32 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,697 Likes on 1,934 Posts

not everyone can drive a perfect car.
not everyone can drive an LS460 or tuned A8 v8 turbo.
But this is supposed to be a luxury brand. They should focus more on making aspirational products that people strive to own and want to own vs continuing to go downmarket and expand the brand to more people who can only spend less. Not everybody should be able to own "a Lexus". Thats part of the equation.

This is another example of why Lexus is but a shell of what it once was, and not even a shell of what it was poised to become at one time.
Old 08-26-22, 12:36 PM
tex2670
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by SW17LS
But this is supposed to be a luxury brand. They should focus more on making aspirational products that people strive to own and want to own vs continuing to go downmarket and expand the brand to more people who can only spend less. Not everybody should be able to own "a Lexus". Thats part of the equation.

This is another example of why Lexus is but a shell of what it once was, and not even a shell of what it was poised to become at one time.
This is what people said about the "Baby" Benz 190 when it first came out in the 80s
Old 08-26-22, 12:48 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by tex2670
This is what people said about the "Baby" Benz 190 when it first came out in the 80s
All of the luxury manufacturers are guilty of this to a certain extent, BUT the German carmakers have continued to invest in the upper end, while Lexus has not. So they have expanded downmarket, but they still maintain and improve the offerings they have for the upper end. Lexus hasn't done that.

Its like I have always said, build all the little rebadged FWD Toyotas you want as long as you are still building and developing the full Lexus lineup on proper luxury platforms. They aren't.

As for the 190 Benz, that was an incredible car that became a legend. Do we think the cheap FWD Corolla Cross rebdge UX is going to become that?

I would like to see Lexus make great things.
Old 08-26-22, 03:11 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

All of the luxury manufacturers are guilty of this to a certain extent, BUT the German carmakers have continued to invest in the upper end, while Lexus has not. So they have expanded downmarket, but they still maintain and improve the offerings they have for the upper end. Lexus hasn't done that.

Its like I have always said, build all the little rebadged FWD Toyotas you want as long as you are still building and developing the full Lexus lineup on proper luxury platforms. They aren't.

As for the 190 Benz, that was an incredible car that became a legend. Do we think the cheap FWD Corolla Cross rebdge UX is going to become that?

THIS is what Lexus should make.

700hp V12

and hand build it

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 08-26-22 at 03:17 PM.
Old 08-26-22, 05:43 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

The 190 was actually quite successful, particularly here in the D.C. area. I remember it well, and may (?) do a Retro-Write-Up on one soon.
Old 08-27-22, 06:58 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by mmarshall
The 190 was actually quite successful, particularly here in the D.C. area. I remember it well, and may (?) do a Retro-Write-Up on one soon.
I recall the 190 being a very successful Mercedes.
Old 08-27-22, 07:04 AM
tex2670
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Right. People complained about MB diluting their brand; but it didn't. The 190, in fact, drew more people in to the MB brand with a lower price point. But I certainly appreciate @SW17LS 's point about higher end vehicles if the brand will do this. And yes, unlike the UX, the 190 was not poached from the platform of an economy car.
Old 08-27-22, 07:08 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Right. People complained about MB diluting their brand; but it didn't. The 190, in fact, drew more people in to the MB brand with a lower price point. But I certainly appreciate @SW17LS 's point about higher end vehicles if the brand will do this. And yes, unlike the UX, the 190 was not poached from the platform of an economy car.
Have you ever seen how cheap a bare bones Mercedes can be? We talk about Lexus have some cheap FWD. Mercedes has some cheap stuff you just don’t see here in North America. Plus, Mercedes has two FWD based sedan, and one of them is made in Mexico Talk about brand dilution.

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 08-27-22 at 07:16 AM.
Old 08-27-22, 07:24 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,345 Likes on 1,536 Posts

this is nothing new. mercedes for example has had amg and maybach for a long time.

lexus added 2 cuv's for the low / small end... nothing wrong with that but i they're not very special, but then neither is the rx really, but for it's target market it obviously does very well.

i think the issue for you is simply you've moved on and up. you loved your LS cars while you had them, and they were wonderful cars, at the top of that range, but while you drove and loved them there were loads of s-class owners who had no interest at all in them, including ones driving v12 s600's or amg models or even regular s-class. now you drive an s-class and have no interest in an LS, and while you're correct in pointing out the current LS deficiencies (room in particular), you would almost certainly have no interest regardless of what lexus does unless it's a very different kind of LS.

we all would, and i'm sure toyota/lexus is having or has had recent vigorous internal discussion on all this!

when lexus launched, it was a game changer. now it's the other 't' company that's the game changer, and many, even on CL have shown they're willing to forgo some of the qualities that have made lexus great (like build quality!) to try the new game changer, and they love them.

so the ux/nx/rx/gx at this point are basically pretty boring 'old' choices no matter what f-sport bits they stick on them. the new rx though is pretty nice, if someone doesn't want to go full ev. i think most (not all) enthusiasts have little interest in hybrids though.

as mentioned, a fwd ux250h gets a lower price point to get someone into the brand. who that is, i don't really know, maybe a retired person who doesn't need awd but wants a good economical and reliable car with a nicer interior than a toyota.
Old 08-27-22, 08:07 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

i think the issue for you is simply you've moved on and up. you loved your LS cars while you had them, and they were wonderful cars, at the top of that range, but while you drove and loved them there were loads of s-class owners who had no interest at all in them, including ones driving v12 s600's or amg models or even regular s-class. now you drive an s-class and have no interest in an LS, and while you're correct in pointing out the current LS deficiencies (room in particular), you would almost certainly have no interest regardless of what lexus does unless it's a very different kind of LS.
If they made an LS that was a competitor to the S Class, I would buy one. If they had made a car that was a successor to the LS460 in the right ways, I never would have gone to Mercedes. For most of Lexus' history the LS absolutely competed with the S Class. So, saying that I "have no interest in an LS" is not true, I have no interest in what they moved the LS down to become, I would love to get a proper LS.

They have given up on the higher end of the market, and thats a real shame because its caused them to not really be a legitimate luxury player any longer. If they are content to be an Acura and Volvo competitor, thats fine but they were at one time more than that.
Old 08-27-22, 10:19 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

If they made an LS that was a competitor to the S Class, I would buy one. If they had made a car that was a successor to the LS460 in the right ways, I never would have gone to Mercedes. For most of Lexus' history the LS absolutely competed with the S Class. So, saying that I "have no interest in an LS" is not true, I have no interest in what they moved the LS down to become, I would love to get a proper LS.

They have given up on the higher end of the market, and thats a real shame because its caused them to not really be a legitimate luxury player any longer. If they are content to be an Acura and Volvo competitor, thats fine but they were at one time more than that.
Yeah…LS is just not competitive enough. (Compared to a S class or 7 series or A8). Those are a level above. Even LC500 or LX600 is not quite on German level. LS always reminded me of the last gen Jaguar flagship
Old 08-28-22, 03:22 PM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

Received 1,176 Likes on 874 Posts

If so, Lexus is doing a terrible marketing job. I have never seen a young person driving a UX.
They can't afford them.
Old 08-28-22, 03:24 PM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

Received 1,176 Likes on 874 Posts

Damn right. The Germans understand this and that why a German flagship has weight an LS just doesn't have anymore.

Quick Reply: 2023 Lexus UX250h Gets Cheaper FWD Model