Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2023 Lexus UX250h Gets Cheaper FWD Model

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-22, 03:27 PM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

Received 1,193 Likes on 887 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
this is nothing new. mercedes for example has had amg and maybach for a long time.

lexus added 2 cuv's for the low / small end... nothing wrong with that but i they're not very special, but then neither is the rx really, but for it's target market it obviously does very well.

i think the issue for you is simply you've moved on and up. you loved your LS cars while you had them, and they were wonderful cars, at the top of that range, but while you drove and loved them there were loads of s-class owners who had no interest at all in them, including ones driving v12 s600's or amg models or even regular s-class. now you drive an s-class and have no interest in an LS, and while you're correct in pointing out the current LS deficiencies (room in particular), you would almost certainly have no interest regardless of what lexus does unless it's a very different kind of LS.

we all would, and i'm sure toyota/lexus is having or has had recent vigorous internal discussion on all this!

when lexus launched, it was a game changer. now it's the other 't' company that's the game changer, and many, even on CL have shown they're willing to forgo some of the qualities that have made lexus great (like build quality!) to try the new game changer, and they love them.

so the ux/nx/rx/gx at this point are basically pretty boring 'old' choices no matter what f-sport bits they stick on them. the new rx though is pretty nice, if someone doesn't want to go full ev. i think most (not all) enthusiasts have little interest in hybrids though.

as mentioned, a fwd ux250h gets a lower price point to get someone into the brand. who that is, i don't really know, maybe a retired person who doesn't need awd but wants a good economical and reliable car with a nicer interior than a toyota.
There is a problem here you may not be realizing, an original RX300 is so insanely ahead of any of its contemporaries it wasn't fair. Now the RX is just another SUV with nice paint and materials that is somewhat quiet.

Lexus used to be dominant and a true level up from anyone that wasn't M/A/B and even they needed to use their A game.

Now they have very few things like your LC that are amazing PERIOD. Not just amazing for the price and for what it is. It's just not the same.
Old 08-28-22, 03:36 PM
tex2670
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Striker223
They can't afford them.
Right - because the UX costs so much more than a Jeep Wrangler or all of the other similarly priced cars I see young people driving?
Old 08-28-22, 04:09 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,720 Likes on 1,948 Posts

Young people can definitely afford the UX...they just don't appeal to them
Old 08-28-22, 04:19 PM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by tex2670
Right - because the UX costs so much more than a Jeep Wrangler or all of the other similarly priced cars I see young people driving?
You would be amazed what the dodge dealers finance and to who. Plus how are defining young? My age or a 30 something?
Old 08-28-22, 04:23 PM
Motorola
Lead Lap

Received 38 Likes on 29 Posts

Doesn't matter what age buyers are, the sales numbers speak for themselves, Lexus only sold 18K UX's last year, and that was its best year. That's about 1/3 of the NX's sold and 1/6 of the RX's sold. Lexus could axe the car here and I doubt anyone would miss it.

I think the attempt to make this vehicle FWD is to boost volume on a car that quite frankly just isn't selling. The NX, to me, feels like a car that was more designed for the Chinese and European markets than North America.
Old 08-28-22, 07:43 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,372 Likes on 1,557 Posts

They can't afford them.
young people like you, you mean?

Damn right. The Germans understand this and that why a German flagship has weight an LS just doesn't have anymore.
the ls was (and is) impeccably well made and initially caught the german brands with their shorts down, not in terms of features, but in terms of refinement, build quality, and value. that continued well into the 2000s with the ls460. we all know the ls500 is a dud but part of that is due to the leaps mercedes in particular has made in those very same areas, very refined, very well built, and not outrageous in price for what you get. the tesla model s came out in 2012, and it was really the next game changer. i know people who drove bmw 7 series, mercedes s-classes, who switched to model s. the car was obviously radically different, but it definitely made a statement, something a lot of 7/S owners like whether they admit it or not.

There is a problem here you may not be realizing, an original RX300 is so insanely ahead of any of its contemporaries it wasn't fair. Now the RX is just another SUV with nice paint and materials that is somewhat quiet.
i BOUGHT a NEW RX300 about a year after it came out (for my now ex), so i'm well aware of what a game changer it was. we loved the vehicle, although trim bits did begin to fail and it got noisy once we got to about 100k mi. the initial mercedes ml response was junk but again, steady and pretty rapid improvement has brought us to the glb/c/e/s which are excellent as are the bmw utes. they have so many variants and that was never lexus' thing. basically m/b smothered the market. lexus just didn't have the budget or desire to really compete.

Lexus used to be dominant and a true level up from anyone that wasn't M/A/B and even they needed to use their A game.

Now they have very few things like your LC that are amazing PERIOD. Not just amazing for the price and for what it is. It's just not the same.
i have to agree but it's not entirely because lexus failed, it's because the competition got worlds better, partly because their existence depended on it (unlike lexus which is just a part of toyota). i've always said lexus was the best thing that ever happened to the german car makers.

Originally Posted by SW17LS
Young people can definitely afford the UX...they just don't appeal to them
the ux like most toyota/lexus products lacked apple carplay and android auto for years after others had it. the old interior also just didn't seem that special. the revamped interior will help.

Originally Posted by Motorola
I think the attempt to make this vehicle FWD is to boost volume on a car that quite frankly just isn't selling.
i agree. so not a bad idea.
Old 08-28-22, 10:09 PM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

Honestly yeah, I'm the one person in my entire circle who can actually afford a 60k+ car without issues. Next closest guy in the group could do 40k but he still lives at home even as a med field guy. Everyone else is too far in student loans to be able to even get a house yet alone a nice car.

I got lucky in the sense I left school and had a full ride going in. Numbers just didn't add up in my case and I'm making more now anyway
Old 08-29-22, 11:16 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
we all know the ls500 is a dud but part of that is due to the leaps mercedes in particular has made in those very same areas, very refined, very well built, and not outrageous in price for what you get.
The LS500 is a dud because of its design. Content, it could still compete with the S and 7, but the design keeps it from being able to do so. Its beautiful, still extremely well made, interior is incredible for the money, the engine lets it down as does the tight interior and sporty demeanor.
Old 08-29-22, 11:28 AM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

The LS500 is a dud because of its design. Content, it could still compete with the S and 7, but the design keeps it from being able to do so. Its beautiful, still extremely well made, interior is incredible for the money, the engine lets it down as does the tight interior and sporty demeanor.
The sport aspect isn't even the issue, the Germans make very sharp cars and even AMGs/M/S cars of those sizes people really like. It's the fact it's small inside and doesn't have a real engine anymore.
Old 08-29-22, 11:33 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

The sport aspect isn't even the issue, the Germans make very sharp cars and even AMGs/M/S cars of those sizes people really like. It's the fact it's small inside and doesn't have a real engine anymore.
Well, the sport aspect does matter when there is no traditional soft riding version. The character of the car is just completely different.
Old 08-29-22, 12:03 PM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

Well, the sport aspect does matter when there is no traditional soft riding version. The character of the car is just completely different.
Fair point, I did forget that lol! I prefer a bit shaper anyway so I overlooked it
Old 08-31-22, 12:43 PM
situman
Pole Position

Received 166 Likes on 115 Posts

If the CHR or the old CT was anything to go by, no ones going to buy it. How does Lexus not realize the UX is mediocre to avg at best? Making it worse wont entice buyers.