Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

NY toll trouble

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-03, 04:47 PM
lexusk8
Lexus Fanatic

Received 21 Likes on 12 Posts
Thumbs down NY toll trouble

Thruway toll takers taken to task

By Michael Gormley, Associated Press, 10/16/2003 16:33

ALBANY, N.Y. (AP) If you try to give pennies to pay your Thruway toll, or if you don't know what that toll is, you could be in for a rough ride from a few testy toll collectors.

The written complaints by motorists claim a few toll booth operators statewide were vulgar and abusive, sometimes racially insulting, and prone to questioning a driver's intelligence.

According to the complaints filed with the state Thruway Authority, counting pennies seemed to take an especially hard toll on the workers:

One motorist offered five pennies as part of the toll payment, or the only other bill he had, a $100 bill.

''Go (expletive deleted) yourself,'' the toll taker said.

A Connecticut family said they didn't realize there was a toll and had no cash. So they offered 100 pennies.

''Take it to the bank. I don't want your pennies,'' the toll operator said.

''But it's a dollar,'' the motorist responded.

''Don't care.''

A Woodbury toll taker returned five pennies to a customer with a suggestion, ''Here, save these to buy a bottle of hair dye.''

One woman who paid the toll for her daughter, traveling in the car behind her, found the toll taker also took her daughter's 50-cent toll as well, offering ''Sucker!'' as the daughter drove past. The extra toll was refunded, Thruway spokesman Terry O'Brien said Thursday.

A Coxsackie toll taker asked a motorist who drove into the wrong lane, ''What is it, a blonde thing?''

At the Spring Valley interchange a motorist asked what the toll was, and was told: ''What are you, (expletive deleted) brain dead?''

The complaints number just 13 over the last year and all have been investigated or are under investigation by the state Thruway Authority, O'Brien said.

If the vulgar or abusive behavior claimed in the complaints is verified, the employee gets a reprimand letter for his or her file, a refresher course on employee relations, and, if a pattern is proven, the worker is fired, O'Brien said of the authority's ''zero tolerance'' policy.

The complaints were posted on a Web site (http://THEsmokinggun.com) after a request under the state Freedom of Information Law. The posting prompted the New York Post on Thursday to refer to the incidents as ''sleazy pass.''

O'Brien noted that the complaints are a fraction of the 267.2 million Thruway toll transactions each year. He said the authority routinely receives letters of praise for its toll collectors from motorists around the nation, but each complaint is investigated.

There were more than 300 letters of complaint dating to 2000 and two dozen complimentary letters, said Daniel Green, managing editor of The Smoking Gun Web site, owned by the cable network Court TV.

''They were all disciplined, but there's a process you have to go through,'' O'Brien said. ''If there's a pattern of that in their file, the penalties get a lot stiffer up to and including terminations.''

Eight collectors, six of them part-time, have been fired since 1998 for being abusive to customers, O'Brien said. Five collectors were suspended from 10 days to four weeks without pay and two of them were also put on a year's probation.

One resigned during the investigation, which can take 12 weeks before an independent hearing officer. A union representative is also provided.

''Negative responses'' declined in 2002 and 86 percent of customers graded the overall efficiency as good or excellent, according to the Thruway's customer survey. Some drivers, however, said collectors seem ''distracted,'' a comment that lingered from 2000.

''Toll collectors are always on their phones or talking to other collectors when you pass through,'' one driver said in the agency's survey.

Complaint forms are available at toll booths, rest stops and on the Thruway's Web site (http://www.thruway.state.ny.us).
Old 10-16-03, 05:37 PM
Lexkost
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I use to live in Buffalo and I hated the tolls.........
Old 10-16-03, 06:48 PM
hitechgs3t
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ny toll suck
Old 10-16-03, 10:37 PM
SC300Es
Pole Position

Received 64 Likes on 45 Posts

EZ Pass
Old 10-17-03, 01:57 AM
ChronoJ1
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It's New York. What do you expect.

The toll booth ladies in MI are angels.
"Hello, how are you doing today, sir. Here's your change. You have a safe trip. ba-bai"
Old 10-17-03, 05:41 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,394 Likes on 1,568 Posts

Showing once again the graciousness and charm so prevalent in the North East.
Old 10-19-03, 10:21 AM
LS4fun
Lexus Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I would probably say the opposite is probably worst! I wonder how many motorists insult toll takers...probably lots!!!!
Old 10-19-03, 11:44 AM
SDuquette
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Reminds me of Toll Booth Willie. Anyways, no tolls here, thank god
Old 10-19-03, 01:02 PM
asnatlas
Lexus Test Driver

Originally posted by SC300Es
EZ Pass
How does that work, I have seen them at toll stations but I don't know anything about them really... I take it, its a little device that you have on / in your car that is scanned when you drive by... I see people don't have to slow down much and also how do you pay... Does it mail you a bill month or ?? Also what happens if someone with no EZ Pass goes in that lane ??

Shawn
Old 10-19-03, 01:21 PM
pvo
Lead Lap

Default How E-ZPass works?

It looks like you have to prepay. Here is the information on how it works http://www.ezpass.com/static/info/howit.shtml

Oh, if you don't have the tag and you use that lane, they actually take a picture of your plate and send you a warning. My friend got one before...
Old 10-19-03, 01:29 PM
lexusk8
Lexus Fanatic

Received 21 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally posted by pvo
Oh, if you don't have the tag and you use that lane, they actually take a picture of your plate and send you a warning. My friend got one before...
... or most of the time, a police officer is usually there monitoring the cars going through the tolls, stops the "violators", and writes up a ticket for each of them, causing traffic on the affected EZ-Pass lanes
Old 10-19-03, 01:45 PM
asnatlas
Lexus Test Driver

Default Re: How E-ZPass works?

Originally posted by pvo
It looks like you have to prepay. Here is the information on how it works http://www.ezpass.com/static/info/howit.shtml

Cool, thx for the info... LOL I didn't know I could have just went to ezpass.com... I should have known better

Shawn
Old 10-19-03, 03:03 PM
Maeve
Instructor

Originally posted by 2001HiTechGs
ny toll suck
But I love NY......