Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

A tale of two dealerships

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-22, 09:50 AM
LeX2K
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,969 Likes on 2,501 Posts

Originally Posted by AMIRZA786
My brother in law is one of those extremely loyal customers that both Hyundai and Toyota lost
How does this not concern Toyota? Pure arrogance? Or maybe Hanlon's razor applies.
Old 08-24-22, 09:53 AM
Margate330
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,006 Likes on 801 Posts

^^
It's so much harder to earn a customer's business back than doing what it takes to keep their business, when possible.
Old 08-24-22, 09:58 AM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Received 2,163 Likes on 1,683 Posts

Originally Posted by 1111GS
yeah some are crazy for a quick gain. I ordered my mb and at the last minute when the car was coming, they switched and dropped a few things and added adjustment. Screw them. They wouldn’t honor what they agreed in emails. I guess they had someone willing to take it for more profit.
They probably did that on purpose to push you to back out of the deal because they had a customer willing to pay more. A friend of mine reserved the Mach-E, Ford has let dealerships know that Mach-E reservations can only be sold at MSRP, but the buyer has 72 hours to purchase or the dealership can re-sell at whatever price they want. Well guess what? His car arrived but they never called him. He just happened to call the dealership and found out that the car had arrived and rushed over. In anticipation of him not showing up, they had a sticker sitting in the front seat with a $10K ADM!
Old 08-24-22, 10:28 AM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

Received 1,225 Likes on 910 Posts

Unfortunately (or fortunately for me ), there's not going to be a big crash, at least for now. We are in the worst of the recession. For the economy to take the dip you are referring to unemployment would need to be high and the housing market would need to be underwater. I will predict one thing though, the price of ICE vehicles will definitely crash, that might benefit you
Keep thinking that lol, everything you mentioned are trailing indicators that are on quite a delay.
Old 08-24-22, 11:23 AM
jwong77
Pole Position

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

As I've mentioned in previous posts, I've been helping one of my brother in laws find and purchase a Hyundai Ioniq 5. It's been quite a journey. At the same time, he has been separately talking to a Toyota dealership looking at the 2022 Sienna Hybrid in case he is not able to get an Ioniq 5. This evening he called me to give me an update.

First on the Ioniq 5:

He told me the sales guy he has been working with for the last few months called him the other day and told him they would have one in next week. $6K over MSRP. He was fine with that, but he found out that the newly signed tax credit is longer applicable to the Ioniq. So he tried to negotiate the ADM down, no go.

The 2022 Toyota Sienna Hybrid:

Today the Toyota sales guy called him and said they had one available that just came in, the color and trim he wanted. He had been negotiating back and forth for a couple of weeks, he got them down to $5K (from $8K) over MSRP. The sales guy told him to come down and get it quickly, and then casually added "my manager said $10k over MSRP". My brother in law said he gasped, then told him that they had negotiated already and didn't understand the sudden price increase, but the sales guy kept telling him that's it's his managers decision and the price was final. So my brother in law told him to let him think about it.

I asked my brother in law what he was going to do, and he told me he already did it. I asked him if he bought the Sienna (which would be very unlike my brother in law), and he said no. He told me he pulled out his laptop, went to Tesla's website and ordered a Model 3 AWD, which the estimated delivery date to his house in October. The whole order process took about 10 minutes, most it fighting over the color with his wife.

The lesson here? Two manufacturers just lost another customer to Tesla because of the very antiquated inefficient dealership model that needs to disappear into history
This is exactly how we bought our Tesla Model Y. The Ford and Kia dealerships lost out with their shenanigans. The Tesla dealership simply answered our questions and were really helpful. We didn't think twice about ordering the Model Y.
Old 08-24-22, 11:36 AM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by jwong77
This is exactly how we bought our Tesla Model Y. The Ford and Kia dealerships lost out with their shenanigans. The Tesla dealership simply answered our questions and were really helpful. We didn't think twice about ordering the Model Y.
Congrats on the Model Y. After 2 months of trying to buy a car, I kept telling my brother in law to just buy either a Model 3 or Model Y. Both he and I spent so much time calling, emailing, and texting so many different dealerships, then haggling over ADM. My brother in law who is a very astute and patient buyer finally got totally fed up, and 10 minutes later he had confirmation that his Model 3 AWD would arrive between October and November. Everything was right in front of him, he knew exactly what he was going to pay, what options he wanted, finalized the order with no sales guy suddenly jacking up the price, and was done. He was so excited about it he called me to let me know. Like me, I don't think he's ever going to buy from a dealership ever again.

BTW, Tesla calls them Showrooms
Old 08-24-22, 11:44 AM
jwong77
Pole Position

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Congrats on the Model Y. After 2 months of trying to buy a car, I kept telling my brother in law to just buy either a Model 3 or Model Y. Both he and I spent so much time calling, emailing, and texting so many different dealerships, then haggling over ADM. My brother in law who is a very astute and patient buyer finally got totally fed up, and 10 minutes later he had confirmation that his Model 3 AWD would arrive between October and November. Everything was right in front of him, he knew exactly what he was going to pay, what options he wanted, finalized the order with no sales guy suddenly jacking up the price, and was done. He was so excited about it he called me to let me know. Like me, I don't think he's ever going to buy from a dealership ever again.

BTW, Tesla calls them Showrooms
Thank you and congrats to your bro in law, however, I'm shocked at his arrival time. Ours for the Model Y is May!
Old 08-24-22, 11:51 AM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by jwong77
Thank you and congrats to your bro in law, however, I'm shocked at his arrival time. Ours for the Model Y is May!
Model Y orders are taking longer, I believe they are prioritizing Model 3 orders
Old 08-24-22, 01:24 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Fanatic

Do dealerships enjoy making the buying experience as miserable as possible? I find it hard to believe the entire meat grinder process is an accident.
Old 08-24-22, 01:37 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by LeX2K
Do dealerships enjoy making the buying experience as miserable as possible? I find it hard to believe the entire meat grinder process is an accident.
It's to wear you down physically and mentally so that all you want to do can get it over with and make the deal. A Ford dealership once took my grandparents keys and wouldn't give them back. All they did was come in to look at a Ford Explorer, they ended up buying it because they felt like they had no choice and getting royally fleeced

Last edited by AMIRZA786; 08-24-22 at 01:48 PM.
Old 08-24-22, 02:02 PM
mbarron37
Advanced

Received 76 Likes on 58 Posts

Why have salesmen? Just work directly with the Manager that makes the decision and approves.

I hate the dealership and let me talk to my Manager experience. 👎👎
Old 08-24-22, 02:09 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by mbarron37
Why have salesmen? Just work directly with the Manager that makes the decision and approves.

I hate the dealership and let me talk to my Manager experience. 👎👎
I prefer to just bypass the manager entirely and order directly from my laptop while sitting on my couch. I'm lazy that way
Old 08-24-22, 03:03 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Fanatic

A Ford dealership once took my grandparents keys and wouldn't give them back. All they did was come in to look at a Ford Explorer, they ended up buying it because they felt like they had no choice and getting royally fleeced
Common tactic another one is take your ID and stall on giving it back in the mean time throw all kinds of scumbag tricks at you.
Old 08-24-22, 03:10 PM
ABC
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Yup, my recent Acura experience has been pretty awful as well. I would much rather purchase cars online with a listed price. No BS - like buying something on amazon.
Old 08-24-22, 03:34 PM
FatherTo1
Racer

Received 114 Likes on 94 Posts

As I've mentioned in previous posts, I've been helping one of my brother in laws find and purchase a Hyundai Ioniq 5. It's been quite a journey. At the same time, he has been separately talking to a Toyota dealership looking at the 2022 Sienna Hybrid in case he is not able to get an Ioniq 5. This evening he called me to give me an update.

First on the Ioniq 5:

He told me the sales guy he has been working with for the last few months called him the other day and told him they would have one in next week. $6K over MSRP. He was fine with that, but he found out that the newly signed tax credit is longer applicable to the Ioniq. So he tried to negotiate the ADM down, no go.

The 2022 Toyota Sienna Hybrid:

Today the Toyota sales guy called him and said they had one available that just came in, the color and trim he wanted. He had been negotiating back and forth for a couple of weeks, he got them down to $5K (from $8K) over MSRP. The sales guy told him to come down and get it quickly, and then casually added "my manager said $10k over MSRP". My brother in law said he gasped, then told him that they had negotiated already and didn't understand the sudden price increase, but the sales guy kept telling him that's it's his managers decision and the price was final. So my brother in law told him to let him think about it.

I asked my brother in law what he was going to do, and he told me he already did it. I asked him if he bought the Sienna (which would be very unlike my brother in law), and he said no. He told me he pulled out his laptop, went to Tesla's website and ordered a Model 3 AWD, which the estimated delivery date to his house in October. The whole order process took about 10 minutes, most it fighting over the color with his wife.

The lesson here? Two manufacturers just lost another customer to Tesla because of the very antiquated inefficient dealership model that needs to disappear into history
Certainly not trying to defend the dealership, but their greed partly comes from fear of buyers flipping the cars. It creates a conflict where the dealership sees the customer as potential competition, not good for either side. Congrats on your BIL’s new order! Drive it in good health.

Quick Reply: A tale of two dealerships