Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

A tale of two dealerships

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-22, 04:33 PM
joedaddy1
Racer

Received 191 Likes on 148 Posts

I need to buy 2 cars in the next 12 months (one probably within 4 months)..
scary…
Old 08-24-22, 06:02 PM
1111GS

Received 91 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by mbarron37
Why have salesmen? Just work directly with the Manager that makes the decision and approves.

I hate the dealership and let me talk to my Manager experience. 👎👎
that would be nice but many do not practice this way. They send you back to salesmen.
Old 08-24-22, 06:44 PM
patgilm
Lead Lap

Received 285 Likes on 202 Posts

Originally Posted by AMIRZA786
Model Y orders are taking longer, I believe they are prioritizing Model 3 orders
Are either of these the performance models? With Tesla, the more you pay the quicker you will get it. Plaids and performance model’s waits generally aren’t too bad.
Old 08-24-22, 06:53 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Received 2,103 Likes on 1,635 Posts

Originally Posted by patgilm
Are either of these the performance models? With Tesla, the more you pay the quicker you will get it. Plaids and performance model’s waits generally aren’t too bad.
No, my brother in law ordered the dual motor AWD without the performance pack. Tesla has been slow to deliver the Y to the European market, and has been allocating more of them to ease the back log. At least that's what I heard from Tesla Daily. Right now the M3 Long Range is not even available to order in the US as they are trying to fill backorders in Europe and china
Old 08-24-22, 08:50 PM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

Received 1,204 Likes on 893 Posts

No, my brother in law ordered the dual motor AWD without the performance pack. Tesla has been slow to deliver the Y to the European market, and has been allocating more of them to ease the back log. At least that's what I heard from Tesla Daily. Right now the M3 Long Range is not even available to order in the US as they are trying to fill backorders in Europe and china
It's friggen annoying since I was actually considering a used 3 LR to pair with the solar system once they get fully hacked/service software exists and OTA is jammed. Now there just won't be any of them around
Old 08-24-22, 09:22 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Striker223
It's friggen annoying since I was actually considering a used 3 LR to pair with the solar system once they get fully hacked/service software exists and OTA is jammed. Now there just won't be any of them around
No, that's not correct. They just temporarily halted the M3 LR in the US so they could backfill orders to Europe. You will be able to order them again in a couple of months. You don't want ota jammed because that is how Tesla continually improves the car. If I jammed ota updates on my Polestar (easy to do) my efficiency would be 40 kWh per 100 miles instead of the current 33.4 kWh per 100 miles which was achieved over four OTA updates
Old 08-24-22, 09:27 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

congrats, very good move. this is exactly why after couple nights of thinking, i went straight to tesla.com and ordered my second model 3. i am so tired of all the BS "negotiation" with salesman at the dealership. 5 mins on tesla.com and i was done, just a waiting game now. glad i placed my order before they shut down the LR selection. this shows they are still in high demand
Old 08-24-22, 09:54 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by rominl
congrats, very good move. this is exactly why after couple nights of thinking, i went straight to tesla.com and ordered my second model 3. i am so tired of all the BS "negotiation" with salesman at the dealership. 5 mins on tesla.com and i was done, just a waiting game now. glad i placed my order before they shut down the LR selection. this shows they are still in high demand
My next car buy will 99 percent probably either be a Model 3 or Y for my wife when her lease ends. I was going to get her an Ioniq 5 (or whatever number it will be) but I'm done dealing with dealerships. If a manufacturer won't get with the times and let me buy online, well I'll buy from one that does
Old 08-24-22, 10:20 PM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

No, that's not correct. They just temporarily halted the M3 LR in the US so they could backfill orders to Europe. You will be able to order them again in a couple of months. You don't want ota jammed because that is how Tesla continually improves the car. If I jammed ota updates on my Polestar (easy to do) my efficiency would be 40 kWh per 100 miles instead of the current 33.4 kWh per 100 miles which was achieved over four OTA updates
I do want it jammed so it would have to be a manual update. That's not debatable and is a deal breaker for me since I refuse to let someone else have external access to my car and be able to change parameters without my direct consent.
Old 08-24-22, 10:24 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

I do want it jammed so it would have to be a manual update. That's not debatable and is a deal breaker for me since I refuse to let someone else have external access to my car and be able to change parameters without my direct consent.
Well you can disconnect the LTE modem, very easily done. You won't be getting the full benefits of ownership as you won't have access to the latest software, but that's completely you're choice
Old 08-24-22, 10:34 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Champion

Received 2,837 Likes on 2,397 Posts

If you're going to buy a car that does constant updates then disable updates there is no point buying said car.
Old 08-24-22, 10:43 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by LeX2K
If you're going to buy a car that does constant updates then disable updates there is no point buying said car.
That's my take. Just like if you don't want to be tracked, you shouldn't buy a phone
Old 08-24-22, 10:57 PM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

Well you can disconnect the LTE modem, very easily done. You won't be getting the full benefits of ownership as you won't have access to the latest software, but that's completely you're choice
I know that and I don't really care about updates....if I want changes I want to be able to actually approve them or not at the very least. I just have no idea if there is a timer on the software that kills the car if you pull it's datalink. My concern is that someone else has control over something I bought, I simply will not allow that.

As far as phones go those are easy to isolate and contain if wanted, plus I can just leave it somewhere or give it to someone else to generate false metadata on my location so that it's less suspicious vs blacking it out for 3 hours.

Last edited by Striker223; 08-24-22 at 11:01 PM.
Old 08-24-22, 10:59 PM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by LeX2K
I buy something to do a job. If it can't do the job when I buy it then I view it as a failed product, I bought a car to use as a car nothing more nothing less. I didn't buy it to have to update it, my phone hasn't been updated software wise for like 3? years now since there is no reason for me to since it does what I need it to do. The only reason I even updated it at all was because I needed updates to the browser for it to do what I needed.
Old 08-25-22, 08:39 AM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

I know that and I don't really care about updates....if I want changes I want to be able to actually approve them or not at the very least. I just have no idea if there is a timer on the software that kills the car if you pull it's datalink. My concern is that someone else has control over something I bought, I simply will not allow that.

As far as phones go those are easy to isolate and contain if wanted, plus I can just leave it somewhere or give it to someone else to generate false metadata on my location so that it's less suspicious vs blacking it out for 3 hours.
My wife's nephew is a detective with the San Mateo Sheriff's dept, and there are plenty of really smart criminals who have committed crimes they track that think they are off the grid, and it's usually a phone that gets them caught, in many cases it's not even theirs. But that's another story for another thread.

I'm not sure why people in the 21st century want to live in the 18th Century, but hey, it's a free country

Quick Reply: A tale of two dealerships