Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

A tale of two dealerships

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-22, 11:18 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by AMIRZA786
The lesson here?ry
The lesson here IMO is that the buyer didn’t get the vehicle he wanted. Had to settle for a Tesla when they wanted a Hyundai or Toyota. Nothing really to do with dealers IMO as someone didn’t want to pay up $$$. Haven’t read many of the comments but my guess is that the buyer is waiting for the Tesla

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 08-27-22 at 11:23 AM.
Old 08-27-22, 11:24 AM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Received 2,103 Likes on 1,635 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
The lesson here IMO is that the buyer didn’t get the vehicle he wanted. Had to settle for a Tesla when they wanted a Hyundai or Toyota. Nothing really to do with dealers IMO as someone didn’t want to pay up $$$
That's your narrative. From his perspective he actually got the best car out of the three. Like a lot of people he was reluctant to buy a Tesla, but after driving his sister's he's 100 percent going to be a long term Tesla buyer. So respectfully, that's your opinion
Old 08-27-22, 11:25 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

That's your narrative. F
yes. That’s why I said IMO.

From his perspective he actually got the best car out of the three.
But he didn’t get what he originally wanted. That is not my opinion.
Old 08-27-22, 11:30 AM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

yes. That’s why I said IMO.

But he didn’t get what he originally wanted. That is not my opinion.
​​​​​​ He actually wanted the Tesla, but was reluctant, like a lot of people because he never owned one. My brother in law, like me doesn't buy anything he doesn't want. I can say that with 100 percent confidence and it's not opinion
Old 08-27-22, 01:32 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

I know this thread has pretty much reached its useful life, but in an attempt to re-steer it back to topic, I'll just make one last post (I'll continue to respond though). Going back to post #84, let me expand a little on this. My brother in law is a mid 6 figure earner, and if you include all his investments, his net worth is pretty decent. So paying an additional $6K ADM for an Ioniq 5 or $10K ADM over MSRP for a Sienna is just noise to him. In other words, it really didn't factor into his decision because that's not very much money to him. Since he keeps his cars till they literally die (2010 Honda Odyssey with 220K and 2016 Toyota Avalon Hybrid with 150K), what's an additional $10K over 12 to 15 years for someone at his income level?

He's been mentioning that he's been wanting to buy a Tesla, either Model S or Model 3 for the last 2 years, but like many people, was reluctant. I'm not going to bash dealerships anymore, I think everyone already knows my stands on them, his decision to buy a Tesla instead of the Ioniq or the Sienna had very little to do with the ADM and more with that he's been wanting to buy a Tesla but needed a push. It was me that actually pointed out to him how I felt about dealerships, and he just used that as an excuse. Yes it's true that we did waste 2 months calling and negotiating with several dealerships, but in the end if he really wanted the Ionq or the Sienna, he would have paid the ADM without a complaint. This is based on knowing my brother in law and being close with him for the last 25 years
Old 08-27-22, 02:42 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

I know this thread has pretty much reached its useful life, but in an attempt to re-steer it back to topic, I'll just make one last post (I'll continue to respond though). Going back to post #84, let me expand a little on this. My brother in law is a mid 6 figure earner, and if you include all his investments, his net worth is pretty decent. So paying an additional $6K ADM for an Ioniq 5 or $10K ADM over MSRP for a Sienna is just noise to him. I\
Regardless of income or net worth. I commend your brother in law for not paying the ADM on either cars. It’s not a wise idea.
Old 08-27-22, 02:45 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Regardless of income or net worth. I commend your brother in law for not paying the ADM on either cars. It’s not a wise idea.
I agree. I wouldn't regardless of income or want. In fact I'm completely staying out buying any auto, regardless of make or brand until things settle down

Last edited by AMIRZA786; 08-27-22 at 02:58 PM.
Old 08-27-22, 05:38 PM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

Received 1,204 Likes on 893 Posts

I agree. I wouldn't regardless of income or want. In fact I'm completely staying out buying any auto, regardless of make or brand until things settle down
Give it about 7 months or so, maybe sooner but I'm not sure. Should be able to get like 10k off a 50k car then

Last edited by Striker223; 08-27-22 at 05:44 PM.
Old 08-27-22, 07:01 PM
jwong77
Pole Position

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

On another front, my brother in law got a call yesterday from the Toyota dealership asking if he's coming to pick up his Sienna, not being a guy short of words, he told the sales guy where he could put it. I would have just told him politely why I was declining to buy it and for him to convey my dissatisfaction with the owners/management, but again, my brother in law is never short for words
I applaud your brother in law. Scumbags deserve to be treated as such.
Old 08-27-22, 11:29 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Striker223
Give it about 7 months or so, maybe sooner but I'm not sure. Should be able to get like 10k off a 50k car then
Let's hope so! I won't be in the car market for at least 14 months. I just pray that I have no accidents or an event that requires a car replacement. My brother in law on the other hand is buying out of necessity... his Oddessy doesn't have much more left in it and is becoming a money pit
Old 08-28-22, 02:45 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,394 Likes on 1,568 Posts

I know this thread has pretty much reached its useful life, but in an attempt to re-steer it back to topic, I'll just make one last post (I'll continue to respond though). Going back to post #84, let me expand a little on this. My brother in law is a mid 6 figure earner, and if you include all his investments, his net worth is pretty decent. So paying an additional $6K ADM for an Ioniq 5 or $10K ADM over MSRP for a Sienna is just noise to him. In other words, it really didn't factor into his decision because that's not very much money to him. Since he keeps his cars till they literally die (2010 Honda Odyssey with 220K and 2016 Toyota Avalon Hybrid with 150K), what's an additional $10K over 12 to 15 years for someone at his income level?

He's been mentioning that he's been wanting to buy a Tesla, either Model S or Model 3 for the last 2 years, but like many people, was reluctant. I'm not going to bash dealerships anymore, I think everyone already knows my stands on them, his decision to buy a Tesla instead of the Ioniq or the Sienna had very little to do with the ADM and more with that he's been wanting to buy a Tesla but needed a push. It was me that actually pointed out to him how I felt about dealerships, and he just used that as an excuse. Yes it's true that we did waste 2 months calling and negotiating with several dealerships, but in the end if he really wanted the Ionq or the Sienna, he would have paid the ADM without a complaint. This is based on knowing my brother in law and being close with him for the last 25 years
so if the adm was irrelevant, and he'd been interested in getting a tesla anyway, then whatever he bought in the end would not have been surprising.

but following up on your first sentence there (and because of the huge off topic discussion on stock markets, investing, i agree... thread closed.