Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

ClubLexus Hands-On with the 2023 RX (UPDATED!)

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-22, 10:50 AM
SteveDeech
Driver

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by pprj
I'm very sorry the V6 is going away. That drivetrain was a gem of reliability.

Jury is still old regarding how the 4 pop will drive. 4 turbos are not smooth.
I will not consider the 23 rx because they are doing away with the 6. I owned an NX with the 4 and although it was smooth I just don’t like the sound of the engine. In an NX it was adequate as far as how fast it was and the NX is lighter than the rx. I just don’t think it will be powerful enough with the 4 not alone you will have to use premium fuel. The present rx uses regular. Now I know those will say if you can afford to buy the car you ca afford to pay for premium fuel. The point is premium is becoming more and more rare and in Florida it is 70 cents more a gallon. That is quite a bit higher than regular. All things considered the rx was always a v6 and very reliable and many of it’s competitors still provide there v6’s. Lexus should have considered a v6 option. I believe Lexus will be surprised on how many customers will be leaving the brand because of it. Time will tell as they say.

Stevie D.
Old 09-09-22, 11:00 AM
1111GS

Received 91 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by SteveDeech
I will not consider the 23 rx because they are doing away with the 6. I owned an NX with the 4 and although it was smooth I just don’t like the sound of the engine. In an NX it was adequate as far as how fast it was and the NX is lighter than the rx. I just don’t think it will be powerful enough with the 4 not alone you will have to use premium fuel. The present rx uses regular. Now I know those will say if you can afford to buy the car you ca afford to pay for premium fuel. The point is premium is becoming more and more rare and in Florida it is 70 cents more a gallon. That is quite a bit higher than regular. All things considered the rx was always a v6 and very reliable and many of it’s competitors still provide there v6’s. Lexus should have considered a v6 option. I believe Lexus will be surprised on how many customers will be leaving the brand because of it. Time will tell as they say.

Stevie D.
IMO RX owners will most likely continue to buy if they love their RX. Even this is not V6, it's plenty faster than the current V6. With everything else, it most likely will sell just fine, unless they bump the price up too much.
Old 09-09-22, 11:03 AM
lexusnyca
Instructor

Received 388 Likes on 264 Posts

Leaving the brand to go where? All the Germans have 2.0Ts, you have to go to the MDX to get a 6 - a larger 7 seat vehicle.
Old 09-09-22, 11:05 AM
Motorola
Lead Lap

Received 38 Likes on 29 Posts

Lexus said they expect only 30% of buyers will be former RX owners, and 40% will be conquest buyers, while also "going upmarket" in price and benchmarking the BMW X5. So perhaps they aren't as interested in appealing to current RX owners as much as they did in the past.

Old 09-09-22, 11:49 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by MPalmer
the 2.4 Turbo isn't as bad as the 2.0-Turbo, but it's definitely a letdown for a few hundred RPM (vs the V6) until the turbo spools and the torque band arrives and remains for most of the rev-range.
What you think of the full-time awd? Could tell it was 75:25 or 50:50?
Old 09-09-22, 12:22 PM
MPalmer
CL Editor

Received 32 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
What you think of the full-time awd? Could tell it was 75:25 or 50:50?
To be fully transparent, I don't recall that specifically. Unlike the GR Corolla (which I can talk about 9/14) or the Audi RS 3, there isn't a toggle switch in the RX to force it to be in a certain power/torque-vectoring mode, so I wasn't able to do any a-to-b testing to get a sense of it. This system just calculates for you.

What I will say is that the F Sport Handling and F Sport Performance felt a lot more planted and connected to the road vs the base FWD drivetrain. I'm a guy who primarily drives 400+ hp cars and trucks. I'm most at home in Mustangs, Corvettes, IS 500s, LCs, etc... and these crossovers bring a lot of those sensations to the driving experience (even if it's less visceral).
Old 09-09-22, 01:21 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

A little disappointed to see premium fuel, recommended across all grades. And a nickel metal, hybrid battery for all hybrid models.

Old 09-09-22, 02:12 PM
Lead Lap

Received 780 Likes on 529 Posts

Overall, I feel the outgoing RX is more premium. Just something about the new one that makes it just like every other SUV out there.
Old 09-09-22, 02:40 PM
MPalmer
CL Editor

Received 32 Likes on 16 Posts

Updated the OP with my video review -->

Old 09-09-22, 02:42 PM
lexusnyca
Instructor

Received 388 Likes on 264 Posts

Well they give you the option of spending up on the trim levels, so that is where you can get more "premium" with it.
Old 09-09-22, 02:45 PM
1111GS

Received 91 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by lexusnyca
Leaving the brand to go where? All the Germans have 2.0Ts, you have to go to the MDX to get a 6 - a larger 7 seat vehicle.
Not to say they will go but if they do, the MB 2.0 is faster/more responsive tha the current V6. And BMW does not offer 2.0 as of now. They probably know and chose 2.4 to be in the middle.
Old 09-09-22, 02:52 PM
jer
Instructor

Received 95 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
A little disappointed to see premium fuel, recommended across all grades. And a nickel metal, hybrid battery for all hybrid models.

Noticed it states recommended, not required, for premium fuel. If this is true, running regular would probably be fine for most owners.
Old 09-09-22, 02:52 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by 1111GS
Not to say they will go but if they do, the MB 2.0 is faster/more responsive tha the current V6. And BMW does not offer 2.0 as of now. They probably know and chose 2.4 to be in the middle.

BMW does hade 2.0 in the X3. Just not in the US
Old 09-09-22, 03:22 PM
LexFinally
Racer

Received 927 Likes on 581 Posts

Originally Posted by situman
The first gen RX was a masterpiece focused on luxury. Now its all creaky and rattly and loud oh and "sporty" for what its worth.
No it's not. Maybe relative to the past, but not compared to most modern automobiles. I get this is the Internet, but c'mon.
Old 09-09-22, 03:28 PM
LexFinally
Racer

Received 927 Likes on 581 Posts

Originally Posted by Motorola
Well, the LS and most other bubble cars were margin-driven too, it's just that the margins were in the stratosphere because that's just how wealthy Japan was back then. Not even the LFA's development costs could come close to those of the LS400 ($800 mil vs. $1 bn), and that's before adjusting for inflation between 1989 and 2010.
Lexus will never have to bear those kinds of costs again. Remember the project in the '80s wasn't just to develop an all-new car (with an all-new engine, platform and various new technologies throughout like the damped controls, the sandwich firewall, etc, etc). They also developed a brand, an advertising image, an internal brand philosophy, a dealer body based on revolutionary customer service principles, and a discrete parts network automated like none before. Now, they have all that infrastructure and "only" have to develop the car.

Quick Reply: ClubLexus Hands-On with the 2023 RX (UPDATED!)