Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

ClubLexus Hands-On with the 2023 RX (UPDATED!)

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-22, 03:49 PM
Lead Lap

Received 780 Likes on 529 Posts

Originally Posted by lexusnyca
Well they give you the option of spending up on the trim levels, so that is where you can get more "premium" with it.
It’s not the trim. Just the overall design.
Old 09-09-22, 04:24 PM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,612 Likes on 1,028 Posts

I’m really liking this so far. My wife wants one (she had a 2013 RX350 that she loved). I think we would most likely go for the 450h. Plenty of electric range for 90% of our driving. We’d have to give up the Highlander’s 3rd row though, which would be tough.
Old 09-09-22, 05:04 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,372 Likes on 1,557 Posts

(deep breath)

Originally Posted by MPalmer
Updated the OP with my video review -->

https://youtu.be/8ruVAfa-Uoo
really great video, thank you!!!!!!

Originally Posted by pprj
I'm very sorry the V6 is going away. That drivetrain was a gem of reliability.
no reason to believe these drivetrains won't be reliable too.

Jury is still old regarding how the 4 pop will drive. 4 turbos are not smooth.
have you watched the video? car drives great.

Originally Posted by SteveDeech
I will not consider the 23 rx because they are doing away with the 6. I owned an NX with the 4 and although it was smooth I just don’t like the sound of the engine. In an NX it was adequate as far as how fast it was and the NX is lighter than the rx. I just don’t think it will be powerful enough with the 4 not alone you will have to use premium fuel. The present rx uses regular. Now I know those will say if you can afford to buy the car you ca afford to pay for premium fuel. The point is premium is becoming more and more rare and in Florida it is 70 cents more a gallon. That is quite a bit higher than regular. All things considered the rx was always a v6 and very reliable and many of it’s competitors still provide there v6’s. Lexus should have considered a v6 option. I believe Lexus will be surprised on how many customers will be leaving the brand because of it. Time will tell as they say.
sounds like it's not for you then. the only sort of competitors i can think of that have NA 6 cylinder engines still are then hyundai pallisade and kia teluride. if you mean the german brands, their v6 offerings have turbos are are way faster AND way more expensive than an rx. different markets.

Originally Posted by situman
They have no choice but to cost engineer their way to lower pricing.
have you watched the video? this new rx is better in EVERY WAY than any rx that has been before.

look at this quote from motor1.com:

Overall length is identical to that of the 2022 RX, but the rear axle has moved backward 2.4 inches for a longer wheelbase and shorter rear overhang. The rear track is 2.7 inches wider, the front up 0.7 inches, and overall width has gone up an inch. The roofline is 0.4 inches closer to the ground, the hood is lower, and the dash-to-axle ratio is longer. It all adds up to an RX that looks and feels a bit more premium, with a wide stance and less dowdy proportions.
the current (now last gen) rx had horrendously long front and rear overhangs making it look terrible. they tried to make it up with curves and lines and trim bits all over, but it was just a huge mess. this new one is better in every way.

The first gen RX was a masterpiece focused on luxury. Now its all creaky and rattly and loud oh and "sporty" for what its worth.
i owned a first gen rx. great vehicle for sure. at 100k mi, it was creaky and rattly and trim bits began falling off. i have no doubt this one is VASTLY better made (stiffer, better riding, handling, etc).

Originally Posted by 703
It’s not the trim. Just the overall design.
yes, the overall design is a huge improvement.

Originally Posted by JDR76
I’m really liking this so far. My wife wants one (she had a 2013 RX350 that she loved). I think we would most likely go for the 450h. Plenty of electric range for 90% of our driving. We’d have to give up the Highlander’s 3rd row though, which would be tough.
maybe wait for the tx then.
Old 09-09-22, 06:50 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

savagegeese's take is rather more irreverent

Old 09-09-22, 09:12 PM
Motorola
Lead Lap

Received 38 Likes on 29 Posts

I think the two RX threads we have on the front page should be merged at the risk of being redundant.

Here's the US brochure for the 2023 MY. Trims and packages:

Old 09-10-22, 06:32 AM
lexusnyca
Instructor

Received 388 Likes on 264 Posts

There was supposed to be a dealer preview event in October, but that probably means they get one demo car for one day. Lexus really needed to do a road show with this car so interested people could go and see it.
Old 09-10-22, 06:38 AM
SteveDeech
Driver

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by 1111GS
Not to say they will go but if they do, the MB 2.0 is faster/more responsive tha the current V6. And BMW does not offer 2.0 as of now. They probably know and chose 2.4 to be in the middle.
I think we are all missing the point. The RX was never a performance SUV. It has always been a smooth riding car with a smooth powertrain luxury SUV. That was the whole purpose of coming out with the more performance minded NX which is powered by the same 4 cylinder as the new RX. I owned the NX and although it was a nice car the RX is heads and tails about it from a luxury standpoint. All the reviews from major outlets have said the same thing that it misses being a performance handling SUV. So I ask what the real point of going to the turbo 4. It surely isn’t the gas savings because whatever better mileage you get you will be spending on premium gas. It sounds to me that they are helping the gas manufacturers.

Look, I love the Lexus product and the RX but, I never looked for it to be a performance vehicle. I have that in my other car. For that reason I will not be looking to buy the new RX. I believe Lexus Is making a big mistake but, time will tell.
Old 09-10-22, 06:58 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

I think we are all missing the point.
glad you're here to set us straight then.

The RX was never a performance SUV. It has always been a smooth riding car with a smooth powertrain luxury SUV.
and i expect this new one is also that. maybe we should drive the new one before judging? the new rx is a much stiffer platform with a longer wheelbase than the old one. yes no v6, but i'm sure it drives great. i know you have or had an nx, and assume that isn't/wasn't the new model which again, has been completely overhauled. yes at high rpms you'll know a 4 vs a 6 but you'll also know a 6 vs an 8, etc. there's many other things that are done to lessen the differences. a mercedes c or e class with the turbo 4 is incredibly smooth and quiet.

I owned the NX and although it was a nice car the RX is heads and tails about it from a luxury standpoint.
and from what i've seen in reviews, that's still the case.

All the reviews from major outlets have said the same thing that it misses being a performance handling SUV.
all the reviews huh? Michael Palmer's video review here shows how different the trim levels are, from sedate to fun/sporty.

So I ask what the real point of going to the turbo 4. It surely isn’t the gas savings because whatever better mileage you get you will be spending on premium gas. It sounds to me that they are helping the gas manufacturers.
turbo engines are more tunable by the manufacturer with and without hybrid add-on, and most likely it gives lexus more economy of scale in manufacturing by using the same engine/parts across many vehicles.

Look, I love the Lexus product and the RX but, I never looked for it to be a performance vehicle.
and again, lexus is offereing lots of different varations.

For that reason I will not be looking to buy the new RX. I believe Lexus Is making a big mistake but, time will tell.
while they may lose a few people such as yourself who don't like the changes, i think they'll gain a lot more.

this is the first rx i've been impressed with in a long time.
Old 09-10-22, 07:22 AM
Motorola
Lead Lap

So I ask what the real point of going to the turbo 4. It surely isn’t the gas savings because whatever better mileage you get you will be spending on premium gas. It sounds to me that they are helping the gas manufacturers.
Because naturally aspirated V6's are going the way of the dodo bird for the sake of emissions. The same thing happened with the V6 in the Highlander, and will soon happen with the ES/Camry.
Old 09-10-22, 08:14 AM
Motorola
Lead Lap

Motoman made an excellent review on the tech and driving dynamics.

He predicts that the RX he's driving is around $80K lol
Old 09-10-22, 10:03 AM
RDLGX
Intermediate

Received 59 Likes on 30 Posts

It seems from most of the reviews and videos, the 500h is the way to go, but the pricing may be out of my reach. The cost of the 500h is probably way more than I want to do. Maybe it will come down in a few years after the madness is better ? It will be interesting to see the pricing on all of these.
As far as turbo 4 vs V6, I think Lexus knows what they are doing. I don't think they would mess the RX up. Most reviews are saying it is still quiet with the turbo, and I appreciate they are putting a more fun factor driving experience with options.

Last edited by RDLGX; 09-10-22 at 10:22 AM.
Old 09-10-22, 10:07 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

^^ can't stand motoman's fake dramatic acting style, but that one is informative.
Old 09-10-22, 10:08 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Ronn1
It seems from most of the reviews and videos, the 500h is the way to go, but the pricing may be out of my reach. The cost of the 500h is probably way more than I want to do. Maybe it will come down in a few years after the madness is better ? It will be interesting to see the pricing on all of these.
prices coming down in a few years? surely you jest. maybe adm's some though.
Old 09-10-22, 10:17 AM
1111GS

Received 91 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
BMW does hade 2.0 in the X3. Just not in the US
I was referring to X5 which is the model this new RX wants to go after.

I think we are all missing the point. The RX was never a performance SUV. It has always been a smooth riding car with a smooth powertrain luxury SUV. That was the whole purpose of coming out with the more performance minded NX which is powered by the same 4 cylinder as the new RX. I owned the NX and although it was a nice car the RX is heads and tails about it from a luxury standpoint. All the reviews from major outlets have said the same thing that it misses being a performance handling SUV. So I ask what the real point of going to the turbo 4. It surely isn’t the gas savings because whatever better mileage you get you will be spending on premium gas. It sounds to me that they are helping the gas manufacturers.
Look, I love the Lexus product and the RX but, I never looked for it to be a performance vehicle. I have that in my other car. For that reason I will not be looking to buy the new RX. I believe Lexus Is making a big mistake but, time will tell.
We had all last three gens. So I know exactly how these things drive. I was only responding to the point about your posting implying weak German 2.0.
Old 09-10-22, 10:18 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by 1111GS
I was referring to X5 which is the model this new RX wants to go after.
Well, in some places outside of the US there is 2.0 in the X5.

Quick Reply: ClubLexus Hands-On with the 2023 RX (UPDATED!)