Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

ClubLexus Hands-On with the 2023 RX (UPDATED!)

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-22, 10:25 AM
RDLGX
Intermediate

Received 59 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
glad you're here to set us straight then.

and i expect this new one is also that. maybe we should drive the new one before judging? the new rx is a much stiffer platform with a longer wheelbase than the old one. yes no v6, but i'm sure it drives great. i know you have or had an nx, and assume that isn't/wasn't the new model which again, has been completely overhauled. yes at high rpms you'll know a 4 vs a 6 but you'll also know a 6 vs an 8, etc. there's many other things that are done to lessen the differences. a mercedes c or e class with the turbo 4 is incredibly smooth and quiet.

and from what i've seen in reviews, that's still the case.

all the reviews huh? Michael Palmer's video review here shows how different the trim levels are, from sedate to fun/sporty.

turbo engines are more tunable by the manufacturer with and without hybrid add-on, and most likely it gives lexus more economy of scale in manufacturing by using the same engine/parts across many vehicles.

and again, lexus is offereing lots of different varations.

while they may lose a few people such as yourself who don't like the changes, i think they'll gain a lot more.

this is the first rx i've been impressed with in a long time.
I agree ! I love the look and the fact they are giving so many options. I personally think the new sport fun factors with the new RX are a welcome change. For folks that don't want it, there is the base model
Old 09-10-22, 12:33 PM
1111GS

Received 91 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
Well, in some places outside of the US there is 2.0 in the X5.
Are you talking about previous gen? Even if there's a current gen with 2.0 somewhere, how is it relevant to this discussion? Is that the model this new RX goes after? You know they do all these to sell and compete in US market, right?
Old 09-10-22, 05:18 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by 1111GS
Are you talking about previous gen? Even if there's a current gen with 2.0 somewhere, how is it relevant to this discussion? Is that the model this new RX goes after? You know they do all these to sell and compete in US market, right?
The current gen X5 has two I4 options..a diesel and gas. Also a fuel cell version. For world markets. Lexus RX press releases are based on world markets,, not the just the US. I don’t think I ever said the RX compares to the X5. I think that claim is complete rumour. That said, the RX sits in between the X3 and X5. So I can see some X5 wanting the high spec RX

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 09-10-22 at 05:52 PM.
Old 09-10-22, 05:50 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,372 Likes on 1,557 Posts

Originally Posted by Ronn1
I agree ! I love the look and the fact they are giving so many options. I personally think the new sport fun factors with the new RX are a welcome change. For folks that don't want it, there is the base model
agree!
Old 09-10-22, 06:49 PM
Lead Lap

Received 780 Likes on 529 Posts

Alright. Seen all the videos. Decided this generation is not for me.

The nose is too bulky. Much prefer the looks of say an EV6, where it slops down.

Last edited by 703; 09-10-22 at 07:47 PM.
Old 09-10-22, 08:01 PM
Motorola
Lead Lap

Received 38 Likes on 29 Posts

I don’t think I ever said the RX compares to the X5. I think that claim is complete rumour.
Not a rumor, it was mentioned by Jack in the Savagegeese review from what he was told by Lexus at the press meeting. You can choose to accept it or not, but it's a fact. Regardless of how sensible their plan is, Lexus benchmarked the X5 and is planning to go after X5 buyers with this new RX.
Old 09-11-22, 02:41 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 157 Likes on 117 Posts

Originally Posted by Motorola
Not a rumor, it was mentioned by Jack in the Savagegeese review from what he was told by Lexus at the press meeting. You can choose to accept it or not, but it's a fact. Regardless of how sensible their plan is, Lexus benchmarked the X5 and is planning to go after X5 buyers with this new RX.
as they always do.

Or rather, since RX is the best seller and invented the segment, everyone tries to target the RX and this is now RX upping the game.

Only cars Lexus talked about as competitors in media preview were X5, GLE.

Is it a shock to you that X5, GLE and RX are considered mid-sized luxury SUVs, and that people cross shop them?
Old 09-11-22, 03:11 AM
Motorola
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by spwolf
as they always do.

Or rather, since RX is the best seller and invented the segment, everyone tries to target the RX and this is now RX upping the game.

Only cars Lexus talked about as competitors in media preview were X5, GLE.

Is it a shock to you that X5, GLE and RX are considered mid-sized luxury SUVs, and that people cross shop them?
Don't kid yourself, the RX was never in the same league as the X5 or GLE because it was always priced a segment below, and never had the bones to match the performance or luxury of such options.

The new one is presumably pricing itself into X5 and GLE territory for the first time and it's questionable whether it's earned that price from what we've seen so far, which seems to be more of the same. That's why people in the thread are skeptical when Lexus says they're going after X5 buyers.
Old 09-11-22, 05:09 AM
jer
Instructor

Received 95 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by 703
Alright. Seen all the videos. Decided this generation is not for me.

The nose is too bulky. Much prefer the looks of say an EV6, where it slops down.
I will have to wait and see in person, as in some pics the front looks top heavy, in others not so much. May just be lighting making the nose look disproportioned.
Old 09-11-22, 03:57 PM
lexusnyca
Instructor

Received 388 Likes on 264 Posts

Given the number of unit sales they hope to achieve with the RX, they can't go too crazy on the price increase. They will probably ratchet up the price of the higher trim levels (P+, Luxury).
Old 09-11-22, 05:25 PM
Motorola
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by lexusnyca
Given the number of unit sales they hope to achieve with the RX, they can't go too crazy on the price increase. They will probably ratchet up the price of the higher trim levels (P+, Luxury).
Lexus can afford to make the RX a pricier lower volume model because they're about to release the TX, which will take the place of the previous 3-row RX and probably become Lexus's new best-selling vehicle.

I'm under the impression that Lexus wants the RX now to become a lifestyle vehicle, like those SUV-coupes such as the Q8 or X6. Just look at the age group they're targeting, way below the average age of the prior RX buyers.

Last edited by Motorola; 09-11-22 at 05:28 PM.
Old 09-11-22, 05:33 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by lexusnyca
Lexus doubled up the power train options. Also now offers a more affordable hybrid with outstanding MPG. But added a even more powerful top hybrid option. Lexus will definitely increase their sales on the RX
Old 09-12-22, 07:50 AM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,612 Likes on 1,028 Posts

Here's an initial review of the RX450h+ from Motor Trend.

https://www.motortrend.com/reviews/2...d-phev-review/
Old 09-12-22, 09:15 AM
situman
Pole Position

Received 166 Likes on 115 Posts

Lexus doubled up the power train options. Also now offers a more affordable hybrid with outstanding MPG. But added a even more powerful top hybrid option. Lexus will definitely increase their sales on the RX
Kind of hard to say. The volume leader 350 is kinda avg at best. The 400h has avg performance and FE really isnt anythign to write home about, esp with a 4cyl. The 450h+ will be very expensive, if the RAV4 Prime is anything to go by, plus no availability. The FSP model will probably hit the $75-80k range with poor availability and who will pay that kind of money for an RX anyways? You are a stone's throw away from an LX, if you can get one.
Old 09-12-22, 10:12 AM
MPalmer
CL Editor

Received 32 Likes on 16 Posts

Updated the OP with one last bit of media-launch-event RX coverage --

Quick Reply: ClubLexus Hands-On with the 2023 RX (UPDATED!)