Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2023 Lexus ES Gets a Few Updates In Europe

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-23, 01:17 PM
Motorola
Lexus Test Driver

Received 59 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by signdetres
I was surprised at how much better they liked the ES over the RX and NX. I was also surprised to hear they felt the ES was way more refined than the new RX. Didn't expect that.
They looked underneath both vehicles and allegedly the ES uses more sound deadening material. Surprising to see the newer, more expensive RX skimp out on that.
Old 01-21-23, 01:41 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 71 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by SW17LS
Depends on what you want
like what?
Old 01-21-23, 03:50 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 88 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by Motorola
They looked underneath both vehicles and allegedly the ES uses more sound deadening material.
.......And IMO, it needs it. The current 6Gen ES, IMO, does not have anywhere near the refinement/smoothness/quietness that the superb 4Gen version had...IMO the best ES ever produced. Except for the 3-cylinder engine, I actually find my small entry-level Buick significantly more refined to drive.
Old 01-21-23, 04:34 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,774 Likes on 1,981 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
.......And IMO, it needs it. The current 6Gen ES, IMO, does not have anywhere near the refinement/smoothness/quietness that the superb 4Gen version had...IMO the best ES ever produced. Except for the 3-cylinder engine, I actually find my small entry-level Buick significantly more refined to drive.
Current ES is 7th gen.

I own a 4ES and the 7ES is every bit as quiet if not quieter. We literally must have been driving different cars…
Old 01-21-23, 04:59 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 88 Likes on 87 Posts

Current ES is 7th gen.
Correct. Sorry...a typo.

I own a 4ES and the 7ES is every bit as quiet if not quieter. We literally must have been driving different cars…
The 7Gen I test-drove, with the 45-series tires, was noticeably rougher and noisier than the 4Gen....particuarly a 4Gen with new tires that had not worn unevenly (which will make any vehicle louder). Yes, I know that the 7Gen also offered the 55-series. I could not find one to sample, but I did sample a Avalon (which is a similar vehicle on the same platform) with the same size tire, and it was an improvement on the 45s.
Old 01-21-23, 05:02 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

The 7ES I drove had 45 series tires and I completely disagree with you…and my 4ES has great tires.
Old 01-21-23, 05:12 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 71 Likes on 62 Posts

It gets really tiring hearing about the 4th gen ES time and time and time and time again.

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 01-21-23 at 05:16 PM.
Old 01-21-23, 05:23 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

I have to agree. It was 20 years ago that it came out, 21 years ago actually. It really has no relevance when compared to cars today.
Old 01-21-23, 05:36 PM
Lead Lap

Received 794 Likes on 539 Posts

Originally Posted by signdetres
I was surprised at how much better they liked the ES over the RX and NX. I was also surprised to hear they felt the ES was way more refined than the new RX. Didn't expect that.
The ES has always been more refined than the RX. That’s the way it’s meant to be.
Old 01-21-23, 05:39 PM
Lead Lap

Received 794 Likes on 539 Posts

They don't have fake wood. Low models have piano black plastic, but all the wood in an ES is real wood.
the instrument panel trim that goes all the way across by memory is digitally printed, in colours like bamboo, even if the rest is real wood.
Old 01-21-23, 06:20 PM
Motorola
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by 703
The ES has always been more refined than the RX. That’s the way it’s meant to be.
I have never heard that before, what is the basis for this? The RX is a more upscale, expensive vehicle than the ES.
Old 01-21-23, 06:23 PM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

Received 1,251 Likes on 932 Posts

I have never heard that before, what is the basis for this? The RX is a more upscale, expensive vehicle than the ES.
Nah, they are the same tier of car but the RX is an SUV so it will be worse at all dynamics and driving aspects as well as comfort. It's upside is that it's an SUV with the advantages that brings, that's why they are different models and not the same thing.
Old 01-21-23, 06:25 PM
Motorola
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Striker223
Nah, they are the same tier of car but the RX is an SUV so it will be worse at all dynamics and driving aspects as well as comfort.
But we're talking about noise isolation, which the RX has always excelled in, at least up until this generation. Noise isolation material has nothing to do with being a crossover, if anything the ES F-Sport with its lower profile tries would have more of an impact on cabin noise than the RX.
Old 01-21-23, 07:22 PM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

Received 1,251 Likes on 932 Posts

But we're talking about noise isolation, which the RX has always excelled in, at least up until this generation. Noise isolation material has nothing to do with being a crossover, if anything the ES F-Sport with its lower profile tries would have more of an impact on cabin noise than the RX.
Nope. A car has the advantage in isolation since it's easier so isolate nosies with a lower to the ground object. You have less space between the undertray/and road and can most easily calibrate resonant frequency attributes of the the spacing and materials. You also have the important factor of less wind passing over, and below the car and the needed design changes to keep it smooth and thus silent as well. A car being lower and relatively smoother of a shape means less turbulence there as well, the wheels also being more hidden in the wheels helps both factors as well.

The engine bay of the ES is also smaller/less wasted space/room for sound to travel before hitting deadening materials. It also means the tighter area is less prone to allowing road noise into it and near the firewall where you may hear it.
Old 01-21-23, 07:35 PM
Motorola
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Striker223
Nope. A car has the advantage in isolation since it's easier so isolate nosies with a lower to the ground object. You have less space between the undertray/and road and can most easily calibrate resonant frequency attributes of the the spacing and materials. You also have the important factor of less wind passing over, and below the car and the needed design changes to keep it smooth and thus silent as well. A car being lower and relatively smoother of a shape means less turbulence there as well, the wheels also being more hidden in the wheels helps both factors as well.

The engine bay of the ES is also smaller/less wasted space/room for sound to travel before hitting deadening materials. It also means the tighter area is less prone to allowing road noise into it and near the firewall where you may hear it.
Again, we're talking about noise isolation material. In Savagegeese's video, Jack explicitly mentions that the ES has more sound deadening material/welding on it than the RX. There is no reason why the RX being a crossover means it should have less noise isolation material, if anything it should have more than the ES for the reasons you already mentioned. It makes sense for the NX, being a cheaper and smaller vehicle, but the RX? Not really.

Quick Reply: 2023 Lexus ES Gets a Few Updates In Europe