Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2023 Lexus ES Gets a Few Updates In Europe

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-22, 04:38 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by SW17LS
Seeing that I still own that ES, I'll take the current one any day of the week.

I've driven both.....you can have the current one.

I will admit, however, that the 4Gen ES, good as it was, was not perfect. It had a occasional touch-and-go problem in the ECU for the engine-transmission computer that messed up engine response and shifting in the lower gears. A factory reflash was supposed to address that.

Last edited by mmarshall; 09-01-22 at 04:43 PM.
Old 09-01-22, 04:44 PM
Motorola
Lead Lap

Received 38 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
ES Update?

Except for the zig-zag shifter, this would be the best "update" of all.
Okay, Scotty.
Old 09-01-22, 05:00 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,723 Likes on 1,950 Posts

I've driven both.....you can have the current one.

I will admit, however, that the 4Gen ES, good as it was, was not perfect. It had a occasional touch-and-go problem in the ECU for the engine-transmission computer that messed up engine response and shifting in the lower gears. A factory reflash was supposed to address that.
The factory reflash didn't work, it was just something you had to live with in that car.

I have this car lol, I appreciate that you drove it once 18 years ago, but I have owned one for 19 years. It was an excellent car, BUT that throttle issue was a huge issue that really affected drivability and you had to learn how to apply throttle in a way that would make it as smooth as you could, and in some emergency situations it could be dangerous

The modern ES drives very similarly to this car, just much less sloppily. This idea that this generation ES rides so much better than a modern ES is in your head. My 2010 ES was a better car to drive, and the current ones are even moreso. One of my agents has a 2018 ES and it too rides and drives extremely well.

Last edited by SW17LS; 09-01-22 at 05:05 PM.
Old 09-01-22, 05:31 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

The factory reflash didn't work, it was just something you had to live with in that car.

I have this car lol, I appreciate that you drove it once 18 years ago, but I have owned one for 19 years. It was an excellent car, BUT that throttle issue was a huge issue that really affected drivability and you had to learn how to apply throttle in a way that would make it as smooth as you could, and in some emergency situations it could be dangerous

The modern ES drives very similarly to this car, just much less sloppily. This idea that this generation ES rides so much better than a modern ES is in your head. My 2010 ES was a better car to drive, and the current ones are even moreso. One of my agents has a 2018 ES and it too rides and drives extremely well.
I think the appeal of he ES330 and why it might be more fondly remember is that it’s closer to a Toyota Camry than it is to a Lexus. …in the sense of simple, quiet, dull, easy to operate, functional, reliable, and value driven. On the other hand, the latest generation is substantially more sophisticated, more powerful, more interesting interior, a wider assortment of options and features, more dramatic, sleeker and far more emotional in styling and exterior expression. Heck the new one is a full size car pretty much in this day and age. ES is also a far better drivers car than the ES330 which is more a boulevard slug.

IMO, they both kinda appeal to different generations of buyers/demographics. I think the new one is far more appealing to a younger middle ago person…the old one is for older folks.

lastly. I have 20 years experience with Toyota/Lexus zig zag shifters…they are amazing. I OWN three cars with them and one with a sort of zig zag. They are far more classy and better to operate than the forward/back crap they use to today

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 09-01-22 at 05:40 PM.
Old 09-01-22, 05:43 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
lastly. I have 20 years experience with Toyota/Lexus zig zag shifters…they are amazing. I OWN three cars with them and one with a sort of zig zag. They are far more classy and better to operate than the forward/back crap they use to today
I've owned vehicles with the zig-zags, too....including a Lexus. That is something that we simply will have a friendly disagreement on.
Old 09-01-22, 05:47 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

Ia friendly disagreement on.
For sure.
Old 09-01-22, 06:25 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

I bought that ES when I was 22 lol

The great thing about the modern cars is the suspensions are such that they preserve the riding comfort while being way more dynamic.
Old 09-01-22, 10:35 PM
Lead Lap

Received 780 Likes on 529 Posts

I have owned 3 generations of the ES. They are just no nonsense, no fill and cheap to own cars and gives you the basics of a comfortable relaxing drive at a value price point for its size.

If Lexus starts mucking around with that formula, it’s no longer an ES.

Old 09-02-22, 06:43 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by 703
I have owned 3 generations of the ES. They are just no nonsense, no fill and cheap to own cars and gives you the basics of a comfortable relaxing drive at a value price point for its size.

Agreed, they are great cars for what they are. They're not a replacement for the LS though.
Old 09-02-22, 06:57 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,393 Likes on 1,568 Posts

Originally Posted by 703

Agreed, they are great cars for what they are. They're not a replacement for the LS though.
agreed to both.
Old 09-02-22, 07:12 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

For me, I had a budget and I wanted a luxury car, and I didnt want a little C Class or 3 Series, and the ES gave me a big comfortable car so it was perfect.
Old 09-02-22, 07:13 AM
Shaboom
Racer

Received 476 Likes on 335 Posts

Exactly. The ES is a straight forward, traditional luxury car for reasonable price everything considered. If they re-invent it, I buy the last one of this generation and "drive it into the sunset."
People always have to tamper with things that are good. They call it progress. I say it's change for the sake of change and not always wise.
Old 09-02-22, 07:25 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Shaboom
Exactly. The ES is a straight forward, traditional luxury car for reasonable price everything considered. If they re-invent it, I buy the last one of this generation and "drive it into the sunset."
People always have to tamper with things that are good. They call it progress. I say it's change for the sake of change and not always wise.
Well I think it depends on what they do to it. The ES can be all the same things and be on the Crown platform. There is nothing about the Camry/Avalon platform that benefits the ES other than keeping its price down. If they can deliver a RWD/AWD ES on the Crown platform and keep the easygoing nature and hold the line on price, then that just makes the ES better.

For instance if I were buying today I would have a hard time choosing the ES over a Genesis G80 for similar money because the G80 is a proper RWD/AWD layout, obviously lots of people don't care and buy the ES, but I think those people would still buy it if it were on the GA-L platform as long as its selling proposition were still intact.
Old 09-02-22, 10:24 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,393 Likes on 1,568 Posts

There is nothing about the Camry/Avalon platform that benefits the ES other than keeping its price down.
the fwd es benefits from roomier interior for one thing.

If they can deliver a RWD/AWD ES on the Crown platform and keep the easygoing nature and hold the line on price, then that just makes the ES better.
yeah well that's not happening (price) lol.
Old 09-02-22, 10:36 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 157 Likes on 117 Posts

Originally Posted by Shaboom
they will not reinvent it... or rather, if they do, it will be additional model at extra price, like something with Direct4 that makes ES more atheletic.

But at its core, it is comfy, large, affordable, luxury sedan.

And that is why it outsells G80 by factor of 10.

Quick Reply: 2023 Lexus ES Gets a Few Updates In Europe