Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2023 Lexus ES Gets a Few Updates In Europe

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-22, 01:58 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 71 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by SW17LS
I completely agree, this is why people buy Camrys and Corollas and Rav4s when there are way better vehicles in their price segments. Most people just buy cars as transportation. Like I have said many times just because those people buy more of a certain car doesn't mean that as someone who sees cars as more than that I want to buy those cars.

Its not a rough running 4 lol, the engine is very smooth and refined. Next gen ES like it or not will also be a 4, as the RX now is. G80 advance has real wood trim, and yes it has synthetic leather but so do Range Rovers, times are changing there. Taken as a whole, the ES has much more hard plastic in the interior etc which is to be expected given its starting price. G80 is also much more isolated from road noise than the ES, which is not especially quiet inside at all. The G80 is just a higher end product.

There is no denying the sophistication of the powertrain (RWD vs FWD) and the suspension setup in the G80, a multi-link front suspension pays major dividends in ride and handling over a macpherson strut set up like the ES has. As for RWD, with modern skid control systems I would drive a RWD car in the snow before FWD every time. I'd pay the extra for AWD, but RWD with winter tires will trump FWD every time. I went from AWD in my LS460 to RWD in my LS460L and back to AWD in my S560. I was amazed by how well the RWD LS460L did with modern skid and traction control. FWD/Mac strut is a cheap and economical setup, but it doesn't deliver much driving/riding sophistication.

I too would rather have real leather, but would I take real leather but also FWD and strut suspension? No.
You are beating this to death The ES is the perfect vehicle for those who want to move up from a Camry or an Avalon. Or perhaps they had a Honda Accord. These buyers want something Japanese. Something reliable. Some pleasant. Something relatively affordable. Widespread possible options such hybrid, awd, and V6. And an extensive dealer network with the best after purchase service. The ES doesn’t even use premium fuel. The G80 is in a completely different buying segment, heck it’s not even FWD. Fact is, Lexus abandoned the G80 segment when they deleted the GS.

Buick, Lincoln, and Acura used to compete with the Lexus ES, but they deleted their North American models. The Lexus ES is sort of in a world all to itself.
Old 09-07-22, 02:10 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,774 Likes on 1,981 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
You are beating this to death The ES is the perfect vehicle for those who want to move up from a Camry or an Avalon. Or perhaps they had a Honda Accord. These buyers want something Japanese. Something reliable. Some pleasant. Something relatively affordable. Widespread possible options such hybrid, awd, and V6. And an extensive dealer network with the best after purchase service. The ES doesn’t even use premium fuel. The G80 is in a completely different buying segment, heck it’s not even FWD. Fact is, Lexus abandoned the G80 segment when they deleted the GS.

Buick, Lincoln, and Acura used to compete with the Lexus ES, but they deleted their North American models. The Lexus ES is sort of in a world all to itself.
I'm not saying that its not, all I have ever said is that if I were spending $55,000 I would buy a G80 not an ES. It not being FWD is a good thing. People don't buy the ES "because its FWD", they just don't care if it is FWD or RWD. People would still buy a longitudinal RWD/AWD ES. Nobody "prefers" FWD outside of the antiquated notion that its "better in the snow".

Thats what was so sad about Lexus cancelling the GS, if they had cancelled the ES and made the GS larger, most of their ES customers would have bought one. But, their GS customers aren't going to buy a FWD ES. They could have mitigated that somewhat by offering an AWD version of the ES which hides some of the FWD issues but they inexplicably limited that to the ES250 which for sure no enthusiasts would buy.

What I object to is the removal of vehicles that are proper premium products that appeal to those of us who understand and appreciate their engineering and sophistication and replacement of them with FWD, transverse cars with cheap macpherson strut suspensions. Its become the "good enough" brand, for buyers "who don't really care". Not very appealing to me. With Mercedes, for instance, outside of a few models every car they make is designed to be the best car it can be within the confines of what it is, and that to me is very appealing. Lexus used to be that way too, I wish they would be again.

The ES makes a ton of sense in the price bracket below $50-52k, but when you get up to a fully loaded $55k ES there are better cars. Thats all I've ever said, not sure why its been reacted to so strongly.

Last edited by SW17LS; 09-07-22 at 02:19 PM.
Old 09-07-22, 02:26 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

What I object to is the removal of vehicles that are proper premium products that appeal to those of us who understand and appreciate their engineering and sophistication and replacement of them with FWD, transverse cars with cheap macpherson strut suspensions. Its become the "good enough" brand, for buyers "who don't really care". Not very appealing to me. With Mercedes, for instance, outside of a few models every car they make is designed to be the best car it can be within the confines of what it is, and that to me is very appealing. Lexus used to be that way too, I wish they would be again.
I agree with the objection about the removal of GS…but from a fan and enthusiast POV. Not from $$$ and sense (cents). Building a traditional GS at this point just doesn’t make sense financially…that is why it’s gone.

The segment has sunset for Lexus to have a traditional GS

^^^. These G80 numbers are too low in reality.
Old 09-07-22, 02:34 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Lexus needed one model to fit both of those buyers, the issue is they chose the wrong model. It may have been the smart financial move from a bean counter perspective, but it seriously hurts them as a real luxury player.

Genesis can make the G80 work because they have the GV80 and the GV70 built off of that platform which reduces its opportunity cost. Lexus can do this too, but they are unwilling to invest in the GA-L platform that is used in the LS and LC and adapt it for proper RWD based crossovers which would sell in higher numbers and help defray its costs.

At this point all we can hope for as enthusiasts for Lexus is that they have some really great EVs coming, EVs are the great equalizer of the FWD/RWD argument.

To be clear, there is nothing wrong with the ES. The ES is a great car for the money, but its a little too expensive highly optioned for what it is intrinsically IMO. Its the same argument as to why a $75K MDX Type S makes no sense...because you can buy an X5 and no matter how much they tart up the MDX, its still at its core a transverse, FWD Honda Pilot and the bones of the X5 make it a more sophisticated vehicle.
Old 09-07-22, 02:45 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Lexus needed one model to fit both of those buyers, the issue is they chose the wrong model. It may have been the smart financial move from a bean counter perspective, but it seriously hurts them as a real luxury player.
I have to disagree. You don’t change something that has worked for Lexus for 30+ years such as the ES. The GA-L platform does have the spiritual successor to the GS in the upcoming Crown Sedan hybrid. It’s far easier to sell that as a Toyota in world markets than it is as a Lexus in the United States. sedans in the US are on the endangered species list
Old 09-07-22, 02:48 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

I have to disagree. You don’t change something that has worked for Lexus for 30+ years such as the ES. The GA-L platform does have the spiritual successor to the GS in the upcoming Crown Sedan hybrid. It’s far easier to sell that as a Toyota in world markets than it is as a Lexus in the United States. sedans in the US are on the endangered species list
You just rebadge it as a Lexus here. No big deal.

I wouldnt have the issue with the lack of sedans if we had some proper crossovers, but right now we have nothing. Thats why we should celebrate Genesis and what they are doing, they are building truly premium cars and selling them at more accessible price points.
Old 09-07-22, 02:50 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Genesis and what they are doing, they are building truly premium cars and selling them at more accessible price points.
That I agree with. GV80 is a pretty nice crossover, I think the styling and design is great. . Don’t really feel it for the 70. But no hybrid or high fuel efficiency variants. And dumb to make a 3 row.

But back to ES…I feel Lexus was pretty smart to widen the appeal of the ES worldwide.
Old 09-07-22, 02:54 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

I am seeing a LOT of GV70s on the road.

Its smart in that they are all in on this concept that they are focusing on more "near-luxury" vehicles than true luxury vehicles, and the ES fits into that. I suppose we just have to accept that.
Old 09-07-22, 03:07 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Its smart in that they are all in on this concept that they are focusing on more "near-luxury" vehicles than true luxury vehicles, and the ES fits into that. I suppose we just have to accept that.
I think that is just it. I think the Lexus higher end products won’t exist in the future. You can see it in how they didn’t really give a full effort on the new Lx. Future Lexus will be more like lux-premium brand vs a full luxury brand. I don’t find the Lexus new BEV concepts all that reassuring

The competitive advantage for Lexus is with their hybrid and new hybrid+ and plug in options at this point. IMO. Nobody else really comes close and Lexus is far ahead of everyone else.

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 09-07-22 at 03:16 PM.
Old 09-07-22, 04:29 PM
Motorola
Lexus Test Driver

Received 59 Likes on 45 Posts

I agree with the objection about the removal of GS…but from a fan and enthusiast POV. Not from $$$ and sense (cents). Building a traditional GS at this point just doesn’t make sense financially…that is why it’s gone.

The segment has sunset for Lexus to have a traditional GS

^^^. These G80 numbers are too low in reality.
Using sales numbers from a brand with no dealer network to represent an entire class of vehicle is rather disingenuous. Try comparing ES sales numbers with the 5 Series and E-Class, they're neck and neck.

I agree with Steve, the demand exists for a proper midsize RWD luxury sedan, the GS was just never given the time of day because the ES cannibalized it.

Last edited by Motorola; 09-07-22 at 04:33 PM.
Old 09-07-22, 04:49 PM
LexFinally
Racer

Received 956 Likes on 601 Posts

SW17LS, with all due respect, you seem so eager to win this quasi-debate you've concocted against the ES that you've jumped the shark here at multiple points.

"the ES is not especially quiet inside at all."
I'll leave this one to others: Edmunds: "Quiet." C/D: "whisper quiet when crusing." Kelley Blue Book: "Even quieter than before." Motor Trend: "Vault-like quiet."

Of the base G80's turbo four, you say "Its not a rough running 4 lol, the engine is very smooth and refined." Others disagree. C/D: "The sounds of a four-cylinder at work aren't inspiring enough to make us want to keep running the engine to its 6250-rpm redline." Motor Trend: "The 300-hp turbo-four lacked the smoothness and refinement of others in the class." Savagegeese: "The turbo four doesn't particularly fit the character of the G80, with how refined it is."

You also irrelevantly mention that "Next gen ES like it or not will also be a 4." And I won't buy it. The previous generations of the G80 offered a V8, and now they don't, yet you aren't docking them points for that. I'm living in the present; why aren't you?

But the piece de resistance has to be your assertion that "with modern skid control systems I would drive a RWD car in the snow before FWD every time. RWD with winter tires will trump FWD every time."
May god have mercy on your soul if you ever actually try this in the Snow Belt. There's a very good reason why even iconic RWD brands like BMW now sell mostly AWD sedans here. If you're trying to say that modern skid control systems and winter tires are so good as to negate the inherent snow-traction disadvantage of RWD, okay. But that's not what you said. It's like saying I'm faster than Tyreek Hill on an ice rink, provided that I have cleats and he's sliding around on sneakers. You can't just negate the laws of physics -- having the engine's weight over the drive wheels is an advantage in snow, full stop. Worse yet, the comment is irrelevant anyway since the ES also has modern skid control systems and available winter tires. This is such a reach, I have to think at this point you're just saying any old thing to win an Internet debate. Okay, whatever.
Old 09-07-22, 04:49 PM
Bob04
Lead Lap

Received 271 Likes on 195 Posts

Then the quality and sophistication of the LS doesn't matter to you. I wouldn't choose an LS500 either, but I would take an LS over an ES. Being accustomed to flagship cars I could never go back to driving an ES.
No, not really, since it's so poorly executed.
Old 09-07-22, 04:58 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by LexFinally
"the ES is not especially quiet inside at all."
I'll leave this one to others: Edmunds: "Quiet." C/D: "whisper quiet when crusing." Kelley Blue Book: "Even quieter than before." Motor Trend: "Vault-like quiet."
Its not especially quiet. The last one I drove which was a 2021 I believe measured 63 dB at 70 MPH which is the same as my Pacifica. Thats very ordinarily quiet, G80 was 60 dB, my S560 is 58, my LS460s were 59. Its not loud, its just very typical for a sedan.

Of the base G80's turbo four, you say "Its not a rough running 4 lol, the engine is very smooth and refined." Others disagree. C/D: "The sounds of a four-cylinder at work aren't inspiring enough to make us want to keep running the engine to its 6250-rpm redline." Motor Trend: "The 300-hp turbo-four lacked the smoothness and refinement of others in the class." Savagegeese: "The turbo four doesn't particularly fit the character of the G80, with how refined it is."

They aren't wrong, and of course I would rather have a V8 and would rather have a V6. The engine in the G80 2.5 though is plenty smooth and refined in normal driving, its just up in the rev bands that its not as refined as a 6. Wouldn't stop me from getting a G80 at that price point because of the other benefits.

Since we are talking about magazine reviews, C&D's rating of the G80 is 9/10. Their rating of the GV80 is 10/10. Their rating of the ES350 is 6.5/10. RX is 6.5/10. So 4 cyl notwithstanding they rate the Genesis cars much higher.

You also irrelevantly mention that "Next gen ES like it or not will also be a 4." And I won't buy it. The previous generations of the G80 offered a V8, and now they don't, yet you aren't docking them points for that. I'm living in the present; why aren't you?
I'm not docking anybody points for anything, I'm just saying what I would choose and why. Like it or not, 4 cyl engines are only becoming more commonplace in the luxury space.

But the piece de resistance has to be your assertion that "with modern skid control systems I would drive a RWD car in the snow before FWD every time. RWD with winter tires will trump FWD every time."
May god have mercy on your soul if you ever actually try this in the Snow Belt. There's a very good reason why even iconic RWD brands like BMW now sell mostly AWD sedans here. If you're trying to say that modern skid control systems and winter tires are so good as to negate the inherent snow-traction disadvantage of RWD, okay. But that's not what you said. It's like saying I'm faster than Tyreek Hill on an ice rink, provided that I have cleats and he's sliding around on sneakers. You can't just negate the laws of physics -- having the engine's weight over the drive wheels is an advantage in snow, full stop. Worse yet, the comment is irrelevant anyway since the ES also has modern skid control systems and available winter tires. This is such a reach, I have to think at this point you're just saying any old thing to win an Internet debate. Okay, whatever.
This is absolutely the truth. If I lived in the snow belt, I would run winter tires but I wouldn't hesitate to drive a RWD car in the winter at all, certainly over a FWD car which has its own dynamic issues in snow and ice. On winter tires, I will choose RWD over FWD any day of the week. RWD has a snow traction disadvantage when getting going from a stop, but actually has advantages over FWD when moving. Winter tires remove the disadvantages from a stop. When I owned a FWD and a RWD car, my choice was the RWD car in the snow every time.

The "need" for AWD is way overstated. I like AWD here because I don't need winter tires. If I lived in the snow belt I would run winter tires whether I had AWD, FWD or RWD.

There is a reason that as cars get more expensive, they become RWD. RWD is a better platform.

You don't need to justify your purchase decision to me, its just not the one I would have made. Thats okay.

Last edited by SW17LS; 09-07-22 at 05:16 PM.
Old 09-07-22, 04:59 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Bob04
No, not really, since it's so poorly executed.
Still rides and drives better than the ES, which it should obviously for the cost.

But if those things don't matter to you, then an ES is a great buy. Its a great choice for a ton of people.

Last edited by SW17LS; 09-07-22 at 05:40 PM.
Old 09-07-22, 06:03 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by LexFinally
Up here in the snow belt. I’ve lived my whole life if upper NY state and in southern ON. We have two SUVs and two fwd cars. Our matrix with FWD and snow tires is the defacto go to when there is snow. I would have paid for awd for the Matrix but I didn’t exactly buy it. I don’t bother with snow tires on the SUVs. New ES250 comes with awd for what’s it worth. But a 100 hp difference kinda puts into a lower tier than the G80. I have no interest in rwd, especially in snow.

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 09-07-22 at 06:08 PM.

Quick Reply: 2023 Lexus ES Gets a Few Updates In Europe